Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I think DUI should not only be legal, but strongly encouraged. Mandate beer helmets for all drivers, so they can stay focused on the road while they drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
What about legalizing cocaine and providing it at bars? It will help the drunk citizens sober up before their drive home. MDMA will also work!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kaal posted:

This thread is insane and represents everything wrong with the American fixation on imposing maximum punishments and using heavy police enforcement in lieu of sound social policy. Also, the idea of status punishments that last "forever" and restrict basic civil rights is blatantly unethical and unconstitutional. And if someone pipes up with "driving is a privilege not a right" then I will stab them in the eye with the Privileges and Immunities Clause of my pocket constitution. That drivel is the "Evolution is just a Theory :smuggo: " of constitutional law.

In what sense does the Privileges and Immunities clause have any practical application if you are not Clarence Thomas? Do you want to overturn Slaughterhouse so you can DUI?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kaal posted:

Not only is the Freedom of Movement embodied in the Privileges and Immunities Clause, but it also explicitly points out that "privileges" are extremely important and effectively synonymous with the citizen rights that were later detailed in the constitutional amendments.

Do you need a driver's license for freedom of movement between the states? With enough gumption, saliva and suppression of gag reflexes you can travel anywhere in the country for free (unlike private ownership of a car). Also, I'm pretty sure the article iv privileges and immunities business only applies to interstate travel, not intrastate travel.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kaal posted:

Ah yes, the famous, "Why are civil rights important when you can just prostitute yourself" legal argument of 1874.

Well I was just citing the most pragmatic and cost effective means of travel, obviously you can travel between states through rail, bus or air travel as well and that does not involve any prostitution at all. Have you ever DUI'd? You take this issue quite personally.

EDIT: how about an additional service in Uber and the like, where not only can you get a ride home, but the Uber driver brings someone to drive a car back to your place of residence from a bar or house party or whatever. Obviously this would require some changes to car insurance and the regulation thereof, but it would make DUI much less tempting and thus even more morally culpable.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 9, 2014

• Locked thread