Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

SedanChair posted:

After all you've gone through your criteria is still "if I feel buzzed" and pardon me if I don't feel like putting life-and-death decisions under the control of a known drunk and fuckup who puts his "potential" above the people he could have killed if any scenario requiring quick reaction time had presented itself. There's no point treating with you, if you want to cry about how useful you are then figure out how to do it without a car.

Or don't, because drunk fuckups like you run the country.

A few friends of mine owned well-calibrated breathalyzers for their house parties (biochem grad students can be special people) and I learned that at 0.1 BAC I cleanly pass every field sobriety test except smell. Speech, steps and turn, one leg, nystagmas, you name it. I've never driven drunk or anywhere close to it, but I understand how someone could make the mistake, because I would have never pegged myself as above the legal limit at that stage. To be clear, the legal limit should be exactly where it is, but If you're calling people a "drunk fuckup" for that, you've got a perspective problem.

--

I'm not sure where I draw the line, exactly. No more than three strikes regardless, two if it's above some threshold, and probably one and done if you are utterly smashed. If you hit .08 BAC three times, then sorry, gently caress you, you should have learned your lesson by that point. You pull the license so you can nail them harder in the future.

And yes, jail time does solve the problem of substance abuse in this case. I definitely agree that drug use is over-penalized, but DUI is a special case. They're a danger to other people, and you need them off the roads. This isn't like a heroin addict holed up in his house, if an alcoholic is on the road constantly they should be considered criminals.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

twodot posted:

Do you have any evidence that a person going to prison generally reduces their lifetime drunk driving? I realize they aren't driving for the, in my state, ordinarily maximum five years (four or more offenses in ten years bumps it to class C felony) they are in prison. But then they will be out of prison for something like 0-60 years, and I would guess the alcohol consumption rates is going to be a lot higher amongst people with felony convictions. Over 60 years, even a small increase in drinking will wipe out whatever safety was realized in the five years there weren't driving. This is even without addressing the amount of danger putting someone in a US prison generates, and danger created by releasing someone who is unemployable/went through the US prison system.

I don't. However, I'll contend that the baseline assumption is that a drunk with five years off the road will be drunk driving less often than a drunk who is allowed to stay on the road the entire time. If you wish to argue that prison time will actually increase their lifetime drunk driving, then you provide the evidence.

• Locked thread