Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
One and done, you don't get to drive any more. Stop driving cars anyway, get with the eco-local paradigm shift, you drunk fuckin' louts. You don't get to drive anymore; but it's all right, I'm not angry with you. Shhh. It's OK, the nightmare of having to drive a car is over.

For your first and only DUI, you're sentenced to treatment. If you're driving drunk, you're probably doing other stupid dangerous poo poo, stop that. Go to treatment. Or don't, gently caress it but if you don't you now have a case manager who follows you around like the P.I. in the volkswagen from The Big Lebowski. In any case, you're not driving any more.

Now of course a policy like this would result in tons of people driving anyway. To which I respond flippantly "Oh well I guess we'd better not try to pass any laws ever then" :rolleyes:

Or I could respond with the perspicacity of Solon, the Lawgiver 'n point out that drunk driving is an issue of driving as much as it is one of drinking. Poor people feel a sense of desperation when they look at their cars, and yet they have to maintain 'em. All they want to do is get drunk, but they can't just walk somewhere, it's far away. Increase density! Relax small business zoning in residential areas! Open the floodgates of liquor licenses into the neighborhoods! Drink at a cash bar in your neighbor's converted prefab outbuilding, with a 60 inch Samsung TV and a propane heater! Without crippling regulations that only hurt small entreprenurs.

Pay for night time shuttle service with county funds! ~pay for it with savings from emergency services~

Offer drunken shitkicker 19-year-olds a choice of 1) welding classes or 2) a job on a fishing boat. A THERAPIST IS EMBEDDED IN THE CREW OF THE FISHING BOAT

Ban internal combustion passenger vehicles on public roads with a curb weight of greater than 2800 pounds! *speaks in tongues* Nationalize all cab companies! The Biden's Golden Ticket Act: free rail and bus fare nationwide for the rest of your life! For everyone! or a steel road bike all laid out with Campagnolo and a Brooks saddle, ewwww look how filthy it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Lots of folks ITT clearly afraid to have more than two drinks in one calendar day giving advice on how to be intoxicated in public.

Drinking heavily is not practice for acting sober hth

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sillyloquy posted:

I blew a 0.1 when I got my DUI at 22 years old. I live in an urban area and always walk to the bar district when I want to drink but this time I drove to the suburbs for a special occasion. I've never been pulled over before or since but that time I was because I had a headlight out. I was surprised that I was over the limit since I never had any reference to compare my BAC to how I felt. It cost me about 4 grand as well as my job.

Now I know that if I feel even buzzed I've had too much to drive, and I'll never get a DUI again. Any moralist who advocates for permanent license revocation after 1 DUI is naive. Imagine all the human potential you waste if everyone who has knowingly or unknowingly driven over the limit could never drive again. I'm an EMT. I hosed up and cleaned up. There's no way that the benefit of keeping me off the road forever would outweigh the benefit of a whole career based on helping others. I feel awful for doing something that endangered the lives of others but I won't feel bad for being human, making mistakes, and learning from them.

The fact is, under a one and done policy we would all lose the skills of a ton of good firefighters, police, and medics. I'm sure other people can share similar anecdotes about their industry as well.

Yeah except it turns out that drunks like you have judgment like this:

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I think the real problem is that people don't know how to drunk drive safely. As long as you're good and cagey you should be fine up to .12 or so.

After all you've gone through your criteria is still "if I feel buzzed" and pardon me if I don't feel like putting life-and-death decisions under the control of a known drunk and fuckup who puts his "potential" above the people he could have killed if any scenario requiring quick reaction time had presented itself. There's no point treating with you, if you want to cry about how useful you are then figure out how to do it without a car.

Or don't, because drunk fuckups like you run the country.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So, often pro-gun folks point out that cars are deadly and require just as much responsibility as guns, and are pooh-pooed by people who say "well you need a car to do things!!"

I guess this is the other side of that coin. Despite misuse of a gun leading in many cases to a lifetime ban from their use, proposing doing the same thing with a car leads to a lot of crying from simps. "But people need their cars!" :qq:

Yeah, and the people you ran over needed their lives. Maybe the truth is that no one wants to be held accountable for anything, ever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
An economy that requires drunk potential killers to drive cars is an unsustainable and an immoral one. I don't see any need to worry about such drunks getting to work. Guns are dangerous, cars are dangerous, but in both cases the victims are dead and I don't see how "but we need them to get to our JIAAAABZ" :qq: is worth engaging with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grognan posted:

Are you trying to erect flaccid straw men to joust at for your own self esteem or perhaps you might be young/insulated enough to never have actually met someone that drove drunk once.

I know a whole shitload of people who drove/drive drunk and continue to drive legally. I don't think their contributions to society or the economy outweigh the continued danger they pose on the road through continuing to be licensed drivers.

Also your av is hilarious in the context of this conversation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No, we should concentrate on not making working life in the United States a charnel house of coercion, poor health and desperation. Until that happens I don't see any point in putting undue weight on DUI laws--after all, that's just one of the ways society traps you.

I was actually kind of not kidding when I suggested that a DUI should win you free public transportation--a shuttle service, like people can get with Medicaid and Medicare. Since we are talking about taking effective actions rather than politically feasible ones, that seems like the best course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Barlow posted:

This thread really does drive home how many goons are city dwellers. The assumption that cabs are common or that public transit would ever be feasible is pretty laughable in a lot of the United States.

Public transit is feasible everywhere, and drunk shuttles even more so. Any spread-out area that spends money on emergency services would save money by running shuttles, even if they had to make 20 mile trips.

• Locked thread