Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, it's a bit weird to me that anyone would bring up walking home and taking public transportation as universally viable alternatives when public transportation is absent or only functional during the day in a lot of the United States and many people live several miles or more from the closest place where they could drink socially.

Not to say that the absence of a good way to get home justifies driving drunk, but as other people are saying it's simplistic to just push a harsh punishment as a solution to this problem because you think all of America is like large, dense metro areas and has lots of options.
To be fair most people advocating for doing these things are also advocating for these things being made viable options for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Toasticle posted:

Serious question: How would that jive with drunk women being unable to consent to sex? If she goes to a bar, gets shitfaced and has sex and of course Im not talking about situations where she doesn't want to or any kind of force, but many states and people think even if she is saying yes and giving the "Yes I want to gently caress" signals it is still rape because she was unable to consent. But there are people for whom alcohol puts their sex drive on overdrive, make and female.

She went to a bar, knew one of the possible dangers was loss of inhibition to the point of loving someone she normally wouldn't give the time of day to. By your DUI standard if she gave no indication she didn't want to can it be rape? And overall I tend to agree, I've taken all kinds of mind altering substances and I've always believed if I did something while on them its still 100% my fault. I took them, I need to face any consequences of what I did after.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but it would seem if the line is you know what can happen and must face the consequences for your actions would that not mean loving a drunk chick can not be rape? Its also one thats always bugged me because there are people and laws that don't take the guys intoxication as a factor. If he's twice as wasted, how is he supposed to be able be capable but not her? Some people draw a line of woman+alcohol+sex=rape. Period. Plus my wife loves getting drunk & stoned out our gourds and loving like crazed monkeys because of that very effect: It makes her a freak in bed and she loves it. Cant say I disagree. But Ive literally been told each time we do that I've raped her.

And because I feel like I have to clarify: I am only talking about a situation where she does not seem too impaired but is just drunk and horny and gives even a sober guy every signal she was up for it.

This is mostly a false dichotomy. You are responsible for things you do, not for things that are done to you. I've never heard of a twice as drunk man being charged with raping a drunk woman when both seemed consenting. That sounds like an MRA line. Most everyone maintains that neither party can consent at that point.

• Locked thread