Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was dispatching my cops were constantly pulling drivers over who were revoked. Sometimes their DMV entry showed multiple revocations spanning year after year as the license was extra-super-mega-revoked upon each subsequent violation. On occasion their car would get towed but generally they would get a licensed driver to collect the car and they'd pay their fine and keep on truckin'. One fellow had six DUIs when we nabbed him for lucky number seven, and the only reason he stopped driving for a while was that his car had gone unregistered since the 1970s and we impounded it.

Any crime related to substance abuse and addiction is unlikely to be affected by increasingly harsh penalties, but by that measure people who don't give a poo poo are similarly unaffected. You can discuss penalties until you're blue in the face but the responsiveness is on the part of the offender and when it comes to people's desire to drink (and to drive drunk) you won't accomplish anything.

Do any American cities have plate recognition cctv hooked up to the DMV registry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Perhaps, as with teen pregnancy, preemptive education is better than punishment? Creating a culture where drunk driving is considered by your fellow patrons to be bad enough they stop you without the police getting involved at all seems the best course. What changes would need to be made to enable this?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
You have a chicken and egg scenario with urban drunk driving and public transport where yes it sucks if no public transport exists to get you home when you're drunk but people wont push for better public transport if they can drunk drive home.

• Locked thread