Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Alereon posted:

Why do people seem to think that a .08 BAC isn't significant impairment? If you can't walk right you sure as gently caress shouldn't be driving, and that's a significant number of drinks for your average guy. Really, if you feel impaired then you are VERY loving impaired.

Also, is there any research on why people drive drunk? I mean obviously some are addicts who can't control themselves or are simply drunk 24/7, but it seems like most drunk drivers are just assholes who don't give a poo poo about the risk of killing or maiming innocent people (and alcohol enhances poor decision-making). Alcoholics aren't going to respond to harsh punishments, but that latter group is if they think it might happen to them.

I'm a loving drunk. I have been since I was 13, which was almost 30 years ago. So, I feel somewhat qualified to answer this question.
I could probably make people think I was completely sober even if my blood alcohol level was lethal to the majority of humanity. Would I drive drunk? gently caress no.

There is a very weird disconnect between knowing you shouldn't do something and being a drunk or addict, however. I've driven drunk, but not since I was in my early 20's. I think I came to realize how loving stupid I was, and I just parked my car and stopped. Everyone can't do that, however. I don't know what the mechanism is, but I think really, people are just simply loving idiots. You can multiply that idiot rate for drunks and addicts by 1000. You might do it once and get away with it, which will reinforce the idea that you are ok. Do it twice, get away with it and you have more reinforcement that you are fine. People don't do it for fun, they do it because they are hosed up. That is not an excuse.

We should punish the poo poo out of people for driving drunk and high. There isn't any excuse for it.

Edit: actually I drove to work drunk every day for years. so yeah, I'm one of those assholes.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Volcott posted:

It would just be far too easy to blow over the limit if you decide to have two stiff drinks with dinner instead of one. Mistakes happen. After getting a DUI, I'd assume most people would be more careful about their drinking habits.

If you are so drunk after having two stiff drinks with dinner that you get pulled over, you deserve a ticket.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

So only minorities deserve DUIs?

I'm not understanding what you mean, help me out.

f#a# posted:

What about sobriety checkpoints? Admittedly, I was pulled out at one after three drinks. Although they let me go after I passed the mental/balance tests, if I had been a bit more nervous, I most certainly would have gotten a DUI.

(that was enough of an experience to get me to always lug out the bike and head the 2 miles to a lightrail station, by the way)

Better public transport infrastructure is the best bet here, but that's a pipe dream. In more cities than not, driving is a de facto requirement to a successful American life. One-and-done is incredibly punishing, especially if it's "only" endangerment. Two I could see.

I really don't know. Personally, I think they are complete bullshit but they also serve a purpose. What the purpose is however, isn't always clear.

Don't drive drunk. People have made a lot of arguments in past threads about why they or someone else may need to drive drunk. Just don't do it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

You're arguing anyone who gets pulled over and ticketed deserves it. Your skin color largely determines if you're pulled over.

Probably every person in this thread has committed a DUI, just like everyone's likely looked at their phone while driving. But you get away with it, therefore only those who are caught are to blame, even if it's essentially a random sampling.

I think you really took what I said wrong if this is what you believe I meant.
I agree with you 100%.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 11, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

darthzeta88 posted:

I try not to drink and drive. But when. I sleep in my car the cops get me for public intoxication. When I walk home the cops get me for public intoxication. When. I sleep at a bus stop the cops get me for public intoxication, and I don't have a bus stop in my entire town.

I'm an alcoholic and I don't know what to say. :stonk:
Drink at home or something, poo poo.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

The argument for a strict policy also means that in theory basically 85% of the country would be banned from driving because really, almost everyone has driven drunk(at least the legal definition of drunk) once, a good deal of people have done it multiple times.

One thing to remember is, a very few people actually get DUI's, and it is generally the same people getting them over and over again.
Most people can go out and have dinner or hit the bar and they are going to make it home fine. The majority of DUI's are really loving drunk people that can't stop drinking and don't seem to give a poo poo about anyone else.

I could pull these stats all day: And let’s be honest: how many times have you climbed behind the wheel after a couple? I know, you’ve never been pulled over, which makes it tempting to think you’re not a drunk driver. But according to Paul Zador, Sheila Krawchuk, and B. Moore, the average person who is caught driving drunk has already gotten away with it 87 times.

People that get into accidents and kill people generally are really loving drunk. They often have incredibly excessive blood alcohol levels which indicates they drink a lot and they drink often.

Most people in America drink about 4 drinks a week.

This is the breakdown, however, and it is really bad.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...holism_and.html

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

When I got my underage drinking ticket, I found out I was in the top 12% of drinkers. I drink a lot more now, so I'm probably way up there. Just doing my part to keep the economy strong.

I got lucky. I got pulled over with about 10 people in the car and we were all really loving drunk. I was also sixteen. We were downtown after curfew and I got pulled over because I was doing that drag race thing from a stoplight with some hot chicks in another car.

The cop pulled me over and told us to go home. That was a long time ago, it would never happen today.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

And that's bad too I don't really see why prosecuting drunk driving and texting are a "pick one" scenario. It's not like the Judge only had enough budget to pick one. This threads just about drunk driving so that's what people are discussing.

Actually, texting while driving is more dangerous than drunk driving. It seems that taking your eyes and attention off of the road for an extended period of time is really worse than driving while intoxicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

PT6A posted:

Probably not if you're severely intoxicated rather than just above 0.08. Just sayin'

There's "reaction time is a bit slower" drunk and "goes the wrong way on the freeway" drunk.

Driving while Texting Six Times More Dangerous than Driving while Drunk.

Texting is really dangerous because you aren't looking at the road. Even drunk, you can respond to something slowly, you can't respond to jack poo poo when you aren't even looking at the road.

RagnarokAngel posted:

OK? Whether or not this is true doesn't change that drunk driving is a bad thing and you probably shouldn't do it. Whatever might be "less bad" doesn't mean "ignore it".

I completely agree!

• Locked thread