Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They certainly aren't wasting any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Reading the showrunner's comments, I'm not even sure why he even bothered. I don't really get the passion from him that's like, "I pitched this show in 2003 and I've been trying ever since", or "I read all of Constantine and I need to share his story and see this in motion" or anything. It's just more like, "this show could be like Dexter".

I really, really think Constantine needs to be on like HBO (I understand this is kind of a cliché thing to say) to really breathe.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RIP Cab Driver

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This does feel like it'd be better off on HBO or something, I just picture the guy playing Constantine swearing like a sailor and the demony stuff being way more hosed up.

Then again, NBC handles Hannibal well enough.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 25, 2014

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I feel liked to by the OP, cab driver ain't survivable at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not that surprised that they ditched this girl after this episode.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
holy poo poo was that Dr. Fate's helmet! Also John doesnt drive.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked Dr. Fate's helmet. This show is moving way too fast though. There's no time to breathe on anything that's happening.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Overlord K posted:

I feel liked to by the OP, cab driver ain't survivable at all.

Maybe it was an electrical illusion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked Dr. Fate's helmet. This show is moving way too fast though. There's no time to breathe on anything that's happening.

I have to wonder how much of this set up will be used in subsequent episodes seeing as they changed things up after they filmed the pilot.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Dickie Bennett is a very welcome development.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
... okay I take it back, he does have survival skills. :stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gyges posted:

Dickie Bennett is a very welcome development.

Yes, nice to see he got out of prison and went straight.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's a comic book adaptation pilot, give it atleast 2 more episodes to get its exposition unpacked, I'd say.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha, yeah, talk about writing someone out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And here's where we write her out of the show.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Geez, that was a sloppy way to write her out.

The mass scrying seems kind of redundant if it only works as the events happen.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I don't care about losing that girl but the original story where he intentionally manipulated her into working for him (I think partially by letting someone die?) was way, way better than him intentionally scaring her off because he wanted to protect her, because her life is important too :smith:.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From the "coming up this season" preview it looks like they're keeping the safe house, which is just kind of goofy seeing as they made a big deal this episode that it belonged to her/her father.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

muscles like this? posted:

From the "coming up this season" preview it looks like they're keeping the safe house, which is just kind of goofy seeing as they made a big deal this episode that it belonged to her/her father.

I'm sure she had a notary come by and witness her signing over the deed to him right after she scryd across America. She wanted him to help after all.

Viewers Like Me
Nov 4, 2004

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
This is way better then that stupid movie and closer to the comics I love it, move over Arrow.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I feel like Matt Ryan is really killing it, too. That exorcism on the roof was pretty drat passionate, I think.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Matt Ryan is pretty perfect. John's wardrobe sorta bugged me a bit in that weird "expertly crafted to look messy but still appealing" sort of way. He needs the look of a man living through a perpetual bender. Not a big deal though.

Wasn't the strongest pilot but definitely giving it a few more weeks to build up. It felt a whole lot like watching Doctor Who, which could be a good or bad thing depending on whether you like that kind of character or not.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
so they changed all the poo poo with the demon on the roof, that was totally different in the leaked copy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rocksicles posted:

so they changed all the poo poo with the demon on the roof, that was totally different in the leaked copy.

What's the difference between the two?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Demon looked different, it wasn't John, it looked like a electro/fire demon but in the guard. Astrid was there, the dialog was different. Also she didn't disappear and leave the necklace, so the bar scene was different. Was identical until the dude came on the roof.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

I feel pretty positive about what this season will bring, though I agree that editing caused the pilot to suffer from narrative whiplash. Though to be honest it may have to do with the last minute cast change and that they previewed about 50% of the episode in the lead up trailers. Hopefully they'll be able to slow down the pace a little now that the main introductions are out of the way. I'm really looking forward to how the establish the relationship between Papa Midnite and Constantine(also here's hoping we see a new bearer of the Helm of Fate sometime in the near future).

LeviathanGunship fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 25, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Why does every screen adaptation feel the need to kill off Chas?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He came back, what's the issue?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

jscolon2.0 posted:

Why does every screen adaptation feel the need to kill off Chas?

He got better!

I'll keep watching the show. It has potential and I'll forgive the pilot for being all over the place. Just gotta slow down and give time for poo poo to sink in before immediately jumping to the next scene.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

He got better!

I'll keep watching the show. It has potential and I'll forgive the pilot for being all over the place. Just gotta slow down and give time for poo poo to sink in before immediately jumping to the next scene.

It was less disjointed in the original pilot. Because the chick was still on the team at the end.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
If the pilot was any indication, I think this will be a great series for fans, but it definitely does need to slow things down a bit to hold the general audience.

I think a lot of it is because Constantine is kind of a difficult character to describe among comic heroes. It's not like you can describe him as "the fastest man alive" and be done with it. I guess "he's a demon hunter" is kind of close, but that misses a lot of what makes John a great character.

If they can slow the editing down a bit, I think people will really like him, but I can see why they'd need to fit a lot of exposition into the first episode.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Is Chas going to not-die in every episode? Oh my god guys, you killed Chas!

I thought the pilot was pretty good. The obvious write off of Liv was weird as you can see how she was crafted as a character to be the one who scrys to find the demon of the week. I guess the next few episodes will show if that was a good idea or not.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

If the pilot was any indication, I think this will be a great series for fans, but it definitely does need to slow things down a bit to hold the general audience.

I think a lot of it is because Constantine is kind of a difficult character to describe among comic heroes. It's not like you can describe him as "the fastest man alive" and be done with it. I guess "he's a demon hunter" is kind of close, but that misses a lot of what makes John a great character.

If they can slow the editing down a bit, I think people will really like him, but I can see why they'd need to fit a lot of exposition into the first episode.

"Arrogant English bastard con artist with knowledge of the occult"?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Can't forget "Punk Rock" though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

It's a comic book adaptation pilot, give it atleast 2 more episodes to get its exposition unpacked, I'd say.

Hellblazer has what, 30-40 years of continuity to work through? And it's not a pop culture thing like Spiderman that most people are somewhat familiar with.

I do like the Angels being portrayed as complete assholes to humanity who's only concern is the war against Hell.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 25, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like the movie was the right plot with the wrong Constantine. Now it seems like we've got the right Constantine with the wrong writers.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Axel Serenity posted:

"Petty dabbler."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Pilot was ok - feels like there's a chance they'll take it in the good direction, so I'll keep watching. I did like the Tim Bradstreet art they snuck in there among the other art at the end.

• Locked thread