Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't really make it more fake than anything else in here.

No, but it does make it less sincere and we can't have that. Only the finest genuine hoaxes and shills should be posted in this thread, thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tujague posted:

Mongolian Death worm. Ten feet long, bright red, lives in the Gobi desert, barfs acid on you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_death_worm

Those fish are still alive. Tasmanian tigers were real. Chupacabras don't look like that.

If people are going to call the Tasmanian tiger a cryptid then they might as well called the Western black rhino or Rabbs' fringe-limbed treefrog a cryptid. poo poo isn't a mystery, it's just a tragic extinction.

Unfortunately, Ontario and Canada in general doesn't seem to have a ton of cryptids. Sure, there's the Ogopogo but not much else. After a bit of googling I did managed to find something kinda funny.

"September 5 – Another report of the appearance of the great snake or water monster in Lake Ontario has reached us. We have it from reliable citizens who reside on the Lake shore in Parma [New York], ten miles or so west of the mouth of the Genesee, that on Thursday last [possibly August 29] , just as sunset, this monster was seen in the water close to shore.

A drove of cattle went to drink, whereupon the huge monster raised his head above the water and approached the shore, intending no doubt to take an evening meal of fresh beef. The noise made by the animal as he came into shallow water frightened the cattle and they ran back from the beach in great fright. Half an hour later the same drove of cattle sought to drink at a place fifty rods west of the spot where they first went and were again driven away by the monster.

The occurrence drew to the beach several persons residing not far distant and caused a sensation. It won’t answer for anybody to go into that neighborhood and say that there is not a monster in the lake. Too many have seen the animal to doubt its existence. – Rochester [N.Y.] Union.
“The Ontario Sea Monster Again,"
Galveston, Texas, Galveston Daily News, September 5, 1867.

Unfortunately I can't find any other sources for this so it could very well be a hoax on its own.

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 09:59 on Oct 13, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

My mum was a Geordie and has a songbook which contained one of my favourite cryptids:

The Lambton Worm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambton_Worm

A giant sheep eating worm that could regenerate. Defeated by luring it into a river where the bits washed away as it was sliced up.
The original song is best done in a Mackem accent

quote:

One Sunda morn young Lambton went
A-fishing in the Wear;
An' catched a fish upon he's heuk
He thowt leuk't vary queer.
But whatt'n a kind ov fish it was
Young Lambton cudden't tell-
He waddn't fash te carry'd hyem,
So he hoyed it doon a well

Chorus
Whisht! lads, haad yor gobs,
An' aa'll tell ye aall an aaful story,
Whisht! lads, haad yor gobs,
An' Aa'll tel ye 'boot the worm.

Noo Lambton felt inclined te gan
An' fight i' foreign wars.
He joined a troop ov Knights that cared
For nowther woonds nor scars,
An' off he went te Palestine
Where queer things him befel,
An varry seun forgat aboot
The queer worm i' tha well.

But the worm got fat an' grewed an' grewed,
An' grewed an aaful size;
He'd greet big teeth, a greet big gob,
An greet big goggly eyes.
An' when at neets he craaled aboot
Te pick up bits o' news,
If he felt dry upon the road,
He'd milk a dozen coos.

This feorful worm would often feed
On caalves an' lambs an' sheep,
An' swally little bairns alive
When they laid doon te sleep.
An when he'd eaten aall he cud
An' he had had he's fill,
He craaled away an' lapped he's tail
Ten times roond Pensha Hill.

The news ov this myest aaful worm
An' his queer gannins on
Seun crossed the seas, gat te the ears
Ov brave an' bowld Sor John.
So hyem he cam an' catched the beast,
An' cut 'im in twe haalves,
An' that seun stopped hes eatin' bairns
An' sheep an' lambs an' caalves.

So noo ye knaa hoo aall the foaks
On byeth sides ov the Wear
Lost lots o' sheep an' lots o' sleep
An leeved i' mortal feor.
So let's hev one te brave Sor John
That kept the bairns frae harm,
Saved coos an' calves by myekin' haalves
O' the famis Lambton Worm.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Third Murderer posted:

I'm from New Jersey, so I guess I'm a little partial to our own local cryptid:

It sure looks stupid though.
Man, it looks dumb as hell, but that picture (in some Reader's Digest "Unexplained poo poo" book from the '70s) gave me nightmares when I was a kid.

Improbable Lobster posted:

If people are going to call the Tasmanian tiger a cryptid then they might as well called the Western black rhino or Rabbs' fringe-limbed treefrog a cryptid. poo poo isn't a mystery, it's just a tragic extinction.
If people started claiming to have seen black rhinos after they were extinct, yeah, it'd be a cryptid. A living Thylacine these days is just as (un)likely to exist as Sasquatch or anything else in this thread. The Coelocanth doesn't really count because it was thought well extinct and then rediscovered, but if there had been unconfirmed sightings of it while it was still thought extinct, that'd count.

As for my local mythical beasts, there's not much in East Texas, aside from Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) in the river bottoms and Caddo Lake. Hunters and surveyors I know have heard some weird poo poo out in the woods, and I wouldn't discount any story of creepy poo poo at Caddo, it's a creepy-rear end cypress swamp with the Spanish moss and all.

Also one of my coworkers claims to have seen a black panther crossing the road out in the sticks near Gilmer last week while driving home at 3am. There probably are melanistic cougars, just nobody's shot one and delivered it to a museum yet.

The thing my dad once saw that "looked like a cartoon fox," though (rather similar to this)... that sort of thing, I'd rather pretend doesn't exist.

Edit: Dad also claims to have seen some weird cryptid/supernatural stuff in the jungle during his tour in Vietnam. His war stories, I take with a grain of salt as possibly apocryphal/definitely exaggerated, the freaky poo poo he accidentally mentioned once and refuses to elaborate on is most likely true, y'know?

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Oct 13, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Delivery McGee posted:

If people started claiming to have seen black rhinos after they were extinct, yeah, it'd be a cryptid. A living Thylacine these days is just as (un)likely to exist as Sasquatch or anything else in this thread. The Coelocanth doesn't really count because it was thought well extinct and then rediscovered, but if there had been unconfirmed sightings of it while it was still thought extinct, that'd count.

Sorry for the clickbaity website, but I love stories like this.
https://www.thedodo.com/glad-to-have-you-back-7-specie-575686682.html

How about this one?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/02/24/147367644/six-legged-giant-finds-secret-hideaway-hides-for-80-years

A giant stick insect, nicknamed tree lobsters, on an island near Australia. Fishermen used to use them as bait, because they were so huge. In the early 20th century, a ship gets wrecked on the reef and some rats infest the island, wiping out the insect population.

But some of them survived. Under a single bush, on a nearby island that looks like this.

Now they've captured a breeding pair, bred a large captive population, and want to release them again on the original island. But first they have to kill all the rats, and convince the locals that they should share their island with a zillion giant stick insects.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
How can you breed a stable population off only two creatures?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

MisterBibs posted:

Incest most likely.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Third Murderer posted:

I'm from New Jersey, so I guess I'm a little partial to our own local cryptid:

Delivery McGee posted:

Man, it looks dumb as hell, but that picture (in some Reader's Digest "Unexplained poo poo" book from the '70s) gave me nightmares when I was a kid.
The Jersey Devil strongly resembles a real animal called a Hammer Headed Bat.
It's an African species, so I'm not sure what the hell it would be doing in New Jersey.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Unfortunately, Ontario and Canada in general doesn't seem to have a ton of cryptids. Sure, there's the Ogopogo but not much else. After a bit of googling I did managed to find something kinda funny.

"September 5 – Another report of the appearance of the great snake or water monster in Lake Ontario has reached us. We have it from reliable citizens who reside on the Lake shore in Parma [New York], ten miles or so west of the mouth of the Genesee, that on Thursday last [possibly August 29] , just as sunset, this monster was seen in the water close to shore.

A drove of cattle went to drink, whereupon the huge monster raised his head above the water and approached the shore, intending no doubt to take an evening meal of fresh beef. The noise made by the animal as he came into shallow water frightened the cattle and they ran back from the beach in great fright. Half an hour later the same drove of cattle sought to drink at a place fifty rods west of the spot where they first went and were again driven away by the monster.

The occurrence drew to the beach several persons residing not far distant and caused a sensation. It won’t answer for anybody to go into that neighborhood and say that there is not a monster in the lake. Too many have seen the animal to doubt its existence. – Rochester [N.Y.] Union.
“The Ontario Sea Monster Again,"
Galveston, Texas, Galveston Daily News, September 5, 1867.

Unfortunately I can't find any other sources for this so it could very well be a hoax on its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dwL8ESU97s

OGOPOGO

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

canyoneer posted:

Now they've captured a breeding pair, bred a large captive population, and want to release them again on the original island. But first they have to kill all the rats, and convince the locals that they should share their island with a zillion giant stick insects.

The bugs are cool, but that island is something else entirely.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

canyoneer posted:

But some of them survived. Under a single bush, on a nearby island that looks like this.

Oh my god where is this island?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Beartaco posted:

Oh my god where is this island?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball's_Pyramid

Ball's Pyramid, Australia. The wikipedia article leads me to believe the shrub the insects were underneath is the only plant on the island

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

canyoneer posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball's_Pyramid

Ball's Pyramid, Australia. The wikipedia article leads me to believe the shrub the insects were underneath is the only plant on the island

It's not quite as severe as it looks -- the picture in the wiki article and the satellite views show that it has some flattish spots on the other side. Still a pretty good illustration for "godforsaken rock in the middle of loving nowhere," but it's got a surprising amount of green on it.

Anybody know of any good websites with decent articles on cryptozoology? British paleontologist/blogger Darren Naish does a fair bit of writing/lecturing on cryptids as a side hobby, debunking the frauds and scientifically considering the evidence for the ones that aren't easily explainable as known critters/fakes.

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker
Ringdocus is a pretty great cryptid because we have a body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringdocus

It's a weird hyena-wolf beast that was shot after going for some farmer's cows in 1886 Montana. The farmer sold the body to a taxidermist, who sensibly had it stuffed, and the Smithsonian Institution of that period couldn't even figure out what it was. Apparently it's been sitting in museums ever since and nobody's done DNA tests because the museums don't want to risk its value as an attraction by killing its mystery.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Florida Skunk Ape, which lives in the swamps. Totally exists, but nobody notices 'cause Florida.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A good book if you want to look at the history of the cryptids, the actual history, not the made up, is Abominable Science. Gets into the origins of Bigfoot and Nessie and a bunch of others, looking into when the first reports actually appeared, rather than what is claimed.

Bigfoot doesn't really appear until the 50s or so, and the Native peoples legends that are claimed to refer to bigfoot sound more like they're saying the tribe that lives in the next valley are bunch of savages. Or Nessie doesn't appear until the 30s, and the story of the saint driving it back into the loch has been attached to the legend, even though the story doesn't mention Loch Ness in anyway.

A lot of cyptozoology these days is funded by Creationist groups, because they feel if a dinosaur or big foot is caught, then science isn't real and the bible is true. Especially Mokele Mbembe, as if a living dinosaur was found, evolution would be defeated. The searches for that are hilarious, every hole along the river is a Mokele Mbembe den! They dig out holes and hide in them, filling them up behind it! No there is not animal that lives along the river that makes holes!

Anyways, I'm a big fan of the Kraken
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken

Sometimes :cthulhu: sometimes a giant grab, but all sea monster glory. Generally Sea Monsters are more interesting to me because the sea is massive and deep and full of poo poo we haven't even seen yet. If you want to find something big and crazy, look to the sea.

Sadly, the bloop turned out to be just ice scraping against rock. The reason it sounds like something organic is that the sound file we hear is sped up, so it sounds like something other than what it was.

whiteyfats posted:

The Florida Skunk Ape, which lives in the swamps. Totally exists, but nobody notices 'cause Florida.

He sells meth out of his trailer.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Another good book on the subject is The Encyclopedia of Monsters by Daniel Cohen. There's a bunch of folklore too, more than a few fakes, but a fun read overall.

And it gave me nightmares when I was 7.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I learned about the Creationist/cryptid connection from the Monstertalk podcast.

I had no idea beforehand. What a weird world we live in.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The Goatman is pretty creepy.

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/09/marylands-goatman-half-man-half-goat-blood/

quote:

Prince Georges County is about 500 square miles of green fields dotted with suburbs, located just outside Washington D.C. in Maryland. Its less than a million inhabitants enjoy nature preserves, historic reenactments, an annual blues festival and a sparkling waterfront development on the Potomac. In other words, it’s fairly bucolic. And, of course, beneath the surface of every bucolic locale roils something dark and fierce. Meet the Goatman.

When scared teenagers whisper about Goatman, not all agree on the form he takes. Some say he was a man who kept goats and went mad after teenagers killed his flock, driven to seek revenge against any youngster. But perhaps the most titillating version traces the origin of Goatman to the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, a sprawling USDA facility anchored by a big brick building appointed with white columns. In this version, a mad scientist is conducting experiments on a goat when something goes horribly wrong, turning him into a half man-half goat beast that is, naturally, hungry for blood....

I'm not sure if it's more or less frighting then the other Goatman we all know and love.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RaceBannon posted:

I learned about the Creationist/cryptid connection from the Monstertalk podcast.

Yep. Its funny, how someone in a thread ages ago, it may have been the old cryptid thread, said to listen to a monstertalk podcast about Lovecraft monsters, which lead me to a Conspiracy Skeptic episode about the necronomicon which lead me to Skeptics Guide to the Universe. Which i've now dropped because half the episodes are ads and them talking about their live events, and less news, and with Rebecca Watson leaving I have no interest anymore.

RaceBannon posted:

It is really weird, and they hide the connections really well on the shows.

Here's a good one, that i'm surprised hasn't been made into a Syfy movie of the week.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly%E2%80%93Hopkinsville_encounter

Some rural folks saw some weird things outside, and being rural Americans, shot at it. They claimed they were silver monkey like beings, but its believed they saw Barn Owls, not unlike the Mothman.

Something I have found interesting, now that everyone has a camera on themselves 24/7, the instances of reported sightings and blurry pictures seems to have dropped off. Now it seems to focus on going back and looking at earlier events. You still get stuff, but it almost always end up looking too good, and therefor looks fake.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

MisterBibs posted:

It's incredibly risky, since there's no more genetic diversity. There's a good chance they'll all be wiped out because of it. But you have two options: let them all die by doing nothing, or chance it and hope the odds aren't stacked against them.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I've always found the whole mythos and legends surrounding the Mothman legend to be absolutely fascinating. It's one progressively more creepy event after the other, especially if you take into account The Mothman Prophecies novel by UFOlogist and possible lunatic John Keel, who was investigating the Mothman at the time when the sightings were at their highest point and receiving national attention (it later inspired the sadly underrated film of the same name). I read the novel when I was in junior high and it was absolutely one of the most bizarre reads of my life. It has pretty much everything from men in black to psychic visions and weird phone calls. He was also there at the time of the Silver Bridge collapse that effectively ended all of the sightings. The strangest thing about this is the fact that so many people living in Point Pleasant stand by their encounters so adamantly, even in the face of immense scrutiny and ridicule. It's all very Twin Peaks-y.

That area is definitely one of the spookiest places in the country, that's for sure. It's worth a stop if you're ever on a cross-country tour one summer as there's no place quite like it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

George M Eberhart actually came up with ten different classifications for cryptids (and six exclusions) and the classification 'Survivals of recently extinct species' fits thylacines. People keep claiming to see the stripey little buggers even though they were supposed to have gone extinct 78 years ago and there's even a few blurry videos on youtube of possible modern sightings. If someone actually did find hard evidence that they were still alive and proved that the rumours were true then the species would be confirmed and would no longer be a cryptid. If they could somehow show that all the sightings were mistaken and there was absolutely no evidence of any kind that they were still alive then that should also cancel their cryptid status but I can't see the diehard cryptozoologists being convinced of that. (Sometimes specific cryptid sightings really do get disproved and explained away.)
Note that if a Western black rhino was reported wandering wild in Australia or somewhere like that then it'd also be a cryptid until someone proved the claim either way.

Coelocanths are living fossils (also a Lazarus taxon) and not cryptids but they keep getting lumped into these lists for some reason. If someone had gone around claiming that they'd seen a live coelocanth before a specimen was found and examined then it would have been a cryptid for the short time that it was unconfirmed but the first anyone heard about it was when a specimen was caught so it was never a mystery creature.
Giant squid are often cited as examples of cryptids which were proved to exist after centuries of being dismissed as a myth but that's totally untrue, the scientific world has accepted their existence for thousands of years. Aristotle and Pliny the Elder wrote descriptions that seem to be based on eyewitness accounts and modern science has had access to partial or full specimens since the mid 1800s.

tl;dr: cryptids are "creatures that people think might be out there but they can't really prove it" and there's lots of different categories which fit that, but also lots that don't really fit.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Dec 28, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Coelocanths are kinda the cryptozoological equilvent to the Galileo Gambit. For those who are unaware, the Galileo Gambit is a logical falicy where you claim your crazy idea is just being surpressed by the powers that be and you're being persecuted like Galileo. Because he was eventually proven right, then all other crazy, outsider ideas must be right too. Coelocanths being discovered means that Bigfood or Nessie or the Jersey Devil must exist, because if it happened before, it will happen again!

Gorillas and Pandas were "unknown to science" for long periods of time, but the people living in there knew they existed, so just because European Science was unaware, doesn't mean it was unknown to science. Its funny how many pseudosciences seem to have very 19th century ways of looking at things? White People didn't know it existed, so its like it didn't exist!

Does the Spring heeled Jack count?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring-heeled_Jack

Victorian Supervillain? Alien? Unknown being!? Who knows, he's a snappy dresser though.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

quote:

The Dahu is a legendary creature well known in France, Switzerland, and the neighboring regions. Its popularity began to soar toward the end of the 19th century and become famous during 20th century. Dahu is described as a mountain goat-like animal with legs of different sides having differing lengths to walk upright on the steep slopes of its mountain environment. It can only walk around the mountain in one direction.

Legend attributes various differing descriptions to the animal, including the laevogyrous dahu (which has shorter legs on the left side, and thus goes around the mountain counter-clockwise) and the dextrogyre dahu (which has shorter legs on the right side, and thus goes around the mountain clockwise).
It is also said that male Dahus have legs shorter on the right side and that females have shorter legs on the left side, thus making them walk in opposite directions around the mountains enabling to find each other and mate. Also, the male dahu has testicles that drag down onto the ground leaving a scent trail for members of the opposite sex to trace. Males also use the scent trails to find their next molestation victim, for dahus are known for harassing each other to assert dominance.

Catching a dahu involves two people, one with a bag at the bottom of the mountain slope and another who is good at making dahu sounds. The latter stands behind a dahu and makes the noise. When the dahu turns around to see, it loses its balance and rolls down the hill to the person with the bag at the bottom.

Another method is to have pepper ground onto a large stone; when the dahu, while grazing, comes and sniffs the pepper, it would sneeze and knock itself out against the stone.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That's infringing on the gimmick of the Haggis, which is bipedal, but also has one leg shorter than the other for running around hills. :colbert:

I guess we have Nessie anyway, so we can lose a cryptid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've always had a soft spot for the Montauk Monster:

It was found washed up on a NY beach in 2008 and the photos went viral on the internet but the body was never recovered so experts could never identify it with 100% certainty and there were all sorts of arguments over it. Was it a shell-less turtle? A genetically modified dog from some laboratory? A capybara?
It's a decomposing raccoon.

In 2006 some Russian soldiers found what appears to be a dead skeksis:

http://englishrussia.com/2006/08/28/unknown-creature-was-found-by-soldiers/
It's been popping up on cryptozoological websites ever since.
It's a decomposing beluga whale

An even older example is this photo of a supposed plesiosaur carcass which got tangled in the nets of a fishing trawler off the coast of New Zealand in 1977:

http://paleo.cc/paluxy/plesios.htm
It's a decomposing basking shark

http://www.montauk-monster.com has a bunch of other 'mystery animal corpses' which are all obviously mundane creatures that look weird because they've lost all their hair and bloated/rotted out of shape.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Would 'moose in New Zealand' count as a cryptid thing? According to all official records, not a single moose lives in the entire country. However, there are stories that circulate every so often about people seeing them in the Fjordland region of the South Island. Fjordland, as the name suggests, is almost entirely made of fjords and glaciers, and is mostly uninhabited apart from park rangers and the occasional tourist operator.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They'd definitely count as cryptids. The story isn't completely far fetched either since 14 moose were released into the area a century ago and were last seen in the 1950s.

http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/southland/163058/secret-snaps-reveal-elusive-fiordland-moose

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
http://www.fearsomecreaturesofthelumberwoods.com/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Would 'moose in New Zealand' count as a cryptid thing? According to all official records, not a single moose lives in the entire country. However, there are stories that circulate every so often about people seeing them in the Fjordland region of the South Island. Fjordland, as the name suggests, is almost entirely made of fjords and glaciers, and is mostly uninhabited apart from park rangers and the occasional tourist operator.

They actually found moose hair in 2002 or something, which was likely from one of the last descendants of the moose that they released in the early 1900's. I don't know if that counts as a cryptid, but if it is, it's a very :ms: one. Moose live, on average, between 15 and 30 years, and they would have no natural predators in NZ at all. Plus the area that they were released in is pretty similar to their native habitat, so that's only 4-5 generations of moose from 14 individuals, it's completely plausible, though they'd be pretty inbred, and they might disrupt the local ecology enough just by eating that they're likely to die off soon if they haven't already.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nucleicmaxid posted:

They actually found moose hair in 2002 or something, which was likely from one of the last descendants of the moose that they released in the early 1900's. I don't know if that counts as a cryptid, but if it is, it's a very :ms: one.

Yeah there's a guy called Ken Tustin who's convinced that there are surviving descendents of those original moose based on several hair samples, prints, droppings, antler casts and signs of grazing and he's apparently spent nearly 40 years trying to find them. At one point someone offered a $100,000 reward for "good visual evidence of a live moose in New Zealand" which no one has claimed yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i62UvWg-h2w

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Captain Mog posted:

I've always found the whole mythos and legends surrounding the Mothman legend to be absolutely fascinating. It's one progressively more creepy event after the other, especially if you take into account The Mothman Prophecies novel by UFOlogist and possible lunatic John Keel, who was investigating the Mothman at the time when the sightings were at their highest point and receiving national attention (it later inspired the sadly underrated film of the same name). I read the novel when I was in junior high and it was absolutely one of the most bizarre reads of my life. It has pretty much everything from men in black to psychic visions and weird phone calls. He was also there at the time of the Silver Bridge collapse that effectively ended all of the sightings. The strangest thing about this is the fact that so many people living in Point Pleasant stand by their encounters so adamantly, even in the face of immense scrutiny and ridicule. It's all very Twin Peaks-y.

That area is definitely one of the spookiest places in the country, that's for sure. It's worth a stop if you're ever on a cross-country tour one summer as there's no place quite like it.

There's a pretty good documentary about all this on Netflix, at least it was on there last time I checked. I believe its called The Eyes of Mothman. Its pretty amateurish but there are a lot of interviews with the people from the town that I'd never seen before.

I suppose the intriguing part of it all is the "coincidence" of the sightings and general weirdness around the town, and the fact that it all stopped very abruptly as soon as the bridge collapsed. It makes sense to me though that the town was caught up in the supernatural stuff at the time, but when the real-life tragedy happened and it effected so many people from the area, nobody really gave a poo poo about fun spooky stuff like Mothman anymore. Its certainly a great setup for a fictional story though, I don't think the Richard Gere movie went far enough. Like you said this has it all, a good writer could go a million different directions with it.

Mysterious Men in Black show up and creep out the townsfolk, showing off strange psychic abilities almost casually. A gigantic flying creature attacks several people in town and eventually one of the Men in Black starts to make contact as if he is trying to help. Help with what exactly, nobody knows. Its as if he has knowledge of something very bad that is going to happen and is trying to prevent it....

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thylacine, Tasmanian Tiger: extinct or not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't really have to say it.

I guess the kraken is sort of "real" in the sense that every sighting of it was probably a giant or colossal squid, which are loving huge.

A species we know very little about since it lives in the deep sea. Most information about it comes from dissection of remains that wash up on shore. They've also been able to estimate the size of colossal squid based on only on the beaks fished out of the stomachs of sperm whales. But observing one live is an extreme rarity, as is the case for many deep sea species.The deep sea is really cool because we still know so little about it and many of the creatures that inhabit it. Naturally people have dreamed up all sorts of nightmare monsters that live there.

The kid in me still hopes that there is an impossibly huge cephalopod out there somewhere though.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't really have to say it.

I guess the kraken is sort of "real" in the sense that every sighting of it was probably a giant or colossal squid, which are loving huge.

A species we know very little about since it lives in the deep sea. Most information about it comes from dissection of remains that wash up on shore. They've also been able to estimate the size of colossal squid based on only on the beaks fished out of the stomachs of sperm whales. But observing one live is an extreme rarity, as is the case for many deep sea species.The deep sea is really cool because we still know so little about it and many of the creatures that inhabit it. Naturally people have dreamed up all sorts of nightmare monsters that live there.

The kid in me still hopes that there is an impossibly huge cephalopod out there somewhere though.

As intelligent as the normal sized ones are, a gargantuan squid or octopus would probably be way beyond humanity. Probably hiding from us because it's been watching us from the deep for the past century and decided we're crazy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

As intelligent as the normal sized ones are, a gargantuan squid or octopus would probably be way beyond humanity. Probably hiding from us because it's been watching us from the deep for the past century and decided we're crazy.

Probably not actually. That's a really weird theory.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Probably not actually. That's a really weird theory.

Yeah, I mean everyone knows that they perfected FTL space travel 200 years ago, leaving only a few stragglers behind on earth. That's why we've only ever seen a few, I mean, duh. :v:
---

I recall reading a book about the mountain Greymen, which had a collection of other cryptozoological/mythic creatures (I'll have to see if I can find it). It seems to be a result of inexplicable panic or paranoia caused by isolation in a desolation, and can be influenced by phenomena like the Brocken spectre.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pesky Splinter posted:

I recall reading a book about the mountain Greymen, which had a collection of other cryptozoological/mythic creatures (I'll have to see if I can find it). It seems to be a result of inexplicable panic or paranoia caused by isolation in a desolation, and can be influenced by phenomena like the Brocken spectre.

I love stuff like this. A google image search for 'brocken spectre' brings up a whole bunch of great photos:

That Wikipedia article about the Mountain Greymen also brings up an interesting point about bigfoots:

quote:

Similar panic responses have been reported in many North American Sasquatch encounters, and explanations involving infrasound or pheromones have been advanced. Cryptozoologist Karl Shuker has expressed belief that the creature is the guardian of an inter-dimensional portal in his 1997 book, The Unexplained.

People love coming up with bizarre theories to explain why 10' tall hairy hominids can wander around in the American wilderness without being seen by millions of hunters and tourists and game wardens every year. Maybe their horrible stench has pheremones in it which makes people avoid them? Maybe the weird feeling that some people mention in their bigfoot reports are caused by bigfoot emitting infrasound as a defence mechanism? Maybe bigfoot can 'phase' out of existence and just disappear? After all, it's not like anyone can prove that bigfoot doesn't emit infrasound or teleport. :rolleye: There's tons of blogs and cryptid forums where people are seriously discussing this stuff which someone just made up.

There's also a pretty popular theory that bigfoot can see in the infrared spectrum and will avoid IR detection beams which is why hunters never get photos of them on their trail cameras.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah there's a guy called Ken Tustin who's convinced that there are surviving descendents of those original moose based on several hair samples, prints, droppings, antler casts and signs of grazing and he's apparently spent nearly 40 years trying to find them. At one point someone offered a $100,000 reward for "good visual evidence of a live moose in New Zealand" which no one has claimed yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i62UvWg-h2w

A loving Moose, leave it to a New Zealander to fixate on the most Boring Cryptid imaginable. Look for a Moa! Haast's eagle! Not a drat Moose! Speaking of:

Everyones favorite giant bird is still rumored to be stalking through the forests of the South Island. Cryptozoologists argue that the rediscovery of the Takahe in that area lends weight to the idea the Moa could still exist, of course they ignore the fact that the Takahe is waaaaay smaller and was rediscovered almost 70 years ago.

• Locked thread