Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I like how the fight basically came down to the hand having studied anatomy during class. It's pretty silly how stretchy it is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Potsticker posted:

Maybe I'm misusing the term, but tiny snakes that can take over your body and especially scenes like in the beginning where the guy's entire face splits into a giant alien maw are both the sort of things I think of when I see the term "body horror."

At least in manga violence was mostly done in matter of fact fashion. A bit like watching animals hunt and kill each other on Discovery channel. It's instinctively repulsive to some degree but there's no accent on the repulsiveness itself (like you would have in most normal body horror).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

So it's basically What If The Thing Was A Bro.

Well, count me interested.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Dubstep is an artistic tool and shouldn't be judged as something you would sit down and listen to by itself.
I actually mainly meant the OP/ED music, although I'm not really a fan of dubstep in any context.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Maybe I'm misusing the term, but tiny snakes that can take over your body and especially scenes like in the beginning where the guy's entire face splits into a giant alien maw are both the sort of things I think of when I see the term "body horror."

But those are brief moments in a much larger manga. I'm talking of the big picture.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What the hell? I loved the manga and had no idea this existed until today.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kubla Khan posted:

At least in manga violence was mostly done in matter of fact fashion. A bit like watching animals hunt and kill each other on Discovery channel. It's instinctively repulsive to some degree but there's no accent on the repulsiveness itself (like you would have in most normal body horror).

Oh, I see. That is one of the things I remember being impressed about in the manga, was that the violence didn't seem as fetishized as it seemed in other works with really gorey art. Like, comparing it to say Blade of the Immortal or the Uzumaki guy's work.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I read the first chapters of the manga after watching this and now I'm disappointed that they didn't show Migi turning into a dick. Other than that it was a good adaption.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

KonvexKonkav posted:

I read the first chapters of the manga after watching this and now I'm disappointed that they didn't show Migi turning into a dick. Other than that it was a good adaption.

That's probably going to happen next episode. In the manga it doesn't happen until after Shinichi starts getting comfortable with Migi to my recollection.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That's probably going to happen next episode. In the manga it doesn't happen until after Shinichi starts getting comfortable with Migi to my recollection.

No, I did the same thing and read the manga up to the end of the first episode. The penis is before the fight with the dog.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

No, I did the same thing and read the manga up to the end of the first episode. The penis is before the fight with the dog.

Hopefully it will still be next episode. They can't not have the most iconic scene.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I need to watch this soon.

Also, I thought that Aya Hirano got blacklisted from the industry or something.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
She got kicked off her record label and "voluntarily resigned" from her old VA agency over having sex with her bandmates, but very quickly signed on to a new agency and a new label. She did take a hiatus from voice acting before that, but it was because of health issues, not because of the scandal.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

She usually just revises voices for old characters she's done and mostly animal like creatures right now. I think her last big new role was Paiman in gatchaman crowds and now Migi from this.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Here, have a crosspost of a post I made earlier in the fanart thread:

Light Gun Man posted:

Parasyte finally has an anime and Migi is being voiced by someone famous so most of the fanart is like this now:

And at least one less dumb one

Anyway, Parasyte manga owns, this seems like it is set to own, movies are looking good too. I am completely down with all of this. I wonder what happened that made this suddenly come back as both a movie and anime at the same time. Rights change hands? Creator's royalties stop coming in? They were just waiting for CG maybe with the movie I suppose, but saying that makes me wish there was a mid 90s practical effects rubber monsters version too.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Phobophilia posted:

If you feel that the fan art is not to your satisfaction you can always generate your own.

I have no skill or imagination.

Light Gun Man posted:

Parasyte finally has an anime and Migi is being voiced by someone famous so most of the fanart is like this now:

And at least one less dumb one

And see the Internet always comes through for me.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Big fan of the manga and just watched the first episode. Holy goddamn not disappointed at all. I absolutely love the art direction and animation they're taking with this that makes the body horror of the series look and feel really organic and disgusting. I can't wait to see all of the moments in the manga animated.

Contrary to what some people might say I like the dubstep because it's a good reminder to not take this series very seriously.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Well this show is going to be a fun ride. Solid first episode for setting up the premise and the characters, felt very visceral when it needed to and surreal when it was called for.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Here, have a crosspost of a post I made earlier in the fanart thread:

Anyway, Parasyte manga owns, this seems like it is set to own, movies are looking good too. I am completely down with all of this. I wonder what happened that made this suddenly come back as both a movie and anime at the same time. Rights change hands? Creator's royalties stop coming in? They were just waiting for CG maybe with the movie I suppose, but saying that makes me wish there was a mid 90s practical effects rubber monsters version too.

If I had to take a stab, I'd say it's an attempt at getting an American audience. Parasyte, to my knowledge, has always been way better known here than there.

In other words this is probably ending up on Adult Swim at some point. :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If I had to take a stab, I'd say it's an attempt at getting an American audience. Parasyte, to my knowledge, has always been way better known here than there.

It certainly seems like a good fit for Adult Swim. Put it on sometime around 1-3 a.m., where you can show the gore unfiltered, somewhat similar to how they're airing the Hellsing OVAs super late.

Of course, assuming the do show the Migi-penis, they'd probably blur that our. And it would be pretty lame hearing Migi called Righty, or whatever they come up with. I know it was called Lefty in the manga translation because they did the mirror-flip technique to make it read American style, so the left hand was taken over instead of the right one.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Are you saying "here" as America or Japan or what? Parasyte was one of the most easily accessible manga in the US back in the 90s because it was in MixxZine which was pretty easy to find. I think it had a fair number of "well anime is dumb as hell but I liked this one..." readers too. Amusingly one of my few Japanese friends was also a big fan of it, maybe it just has universal appeal.

But yes I could see this doing OK in the US. The anime moreso than the movie I would guess. Maybe we'll get an awful American movie in a few years!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Are you saying "here" as America or Japan or what? Parasyte was one of the most easily accessible manga in the US back in the 90s because it was in MixxZine which was pretty easy to find. I think it had a fair number of "well anime is dumb as hell but I liked this one..." readers too. Amusingly one of my few Japanese friends was also a big fan of it, maybe it just has universal appeal.

But yes I could see this doing OK in the US. The anime moreso than the movie I would guess. Maybe we'll get an awful American movie in a few years!

Here as in America. I sometimes forget that we have a fair few posters who are actually in Japan. :shobon:

e: Also, they'll probably just leave it as Migi when they dub it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
More importantly, will they get Wendee Lee to do the voice?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Watched the first episode. Having read the manga as a teenager ( the first manga i ever completed reading ) I am beyond hyped. Memory is fuzzy on the details but i remember the better parts of it.

I like the voice work. I love the use of dubstep ( sorry i have bad taste in music i guess ) And i like the weird juxtaposition between the extremeness of the anime and its super gentle ED. Considering where this is going that ED is more eerie to me than anything else.

This is going to be my favorite anime this season.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I started reading the manga and holy gently caress it's really great! It's very refreshing to have basically zero fanservice an even though the main character is a "generic guy", he's the 90's version where he isn't a geeky awkward otaku dork but a polite, rational, nice young person with a strong sense of morality and a real backbone. The series keeps you guessing and aything could happen.

Gotta love it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Show of the season already. Episode 2 loving nailed parasite combat, also dick hand makes a brief appearance. :v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Dick hand was kind unnecessary, and the music's still weird, but still another really good episdode.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Dick hand was kind unnecessary, and the music's still weird, but still another really good episdode.

You have no soul

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anime date of the year.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'm really liking Aya Hirano's performance as Migi. Also dick hand even if brief was great.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

aoty

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

this is like saying they should cut out the OH MY GOD's out of the stardust crusader anime.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Glad to see the dick hand was included but I find it pretty funny that this is one of the goriest animes I've seen yet the creators shy away from showing a penis directly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Episode two was great. I wonder whether Migi is really just a purely logical creature as he says, or if he's growing attached to Shinichi. The dialogue after the fight could be interpreted as a "it's not like I did it for you" tsundereism. (I hate myself for typing that last sentence, but that's what several years of anime do to you :v:)

Next episode preview looks like it will be a classic "do I save my friends and risk revealing my secret" kind of situation. If I'm right it'll be interesting to see how this show approaches that classic trope.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I would say Migi grew attached to him, yes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

KonvexKonkav posted:

Glad to see the dick hand was included but I find it pretty funny that this is one of the goriest animes I've seen yet the creators shy away from showing a penis directly.

I feel like the violence was a bit toned down this episode. Not as much of it was directly on screen, I guess. Like when he kills the 4 people early in the p it's all kind of with a lower camera angle obscuring the actual violence occurring.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

I feel like the violence was a bit toned down this episode. Not as much of it was directly on screen, I guess. Like when he kills the 4 people early in the p it's all kind of with a lower camera angle obscuring the actual violence occurring.

The park scene has two blatant cuts, when the blood starts spraying and after the head drops.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ViggyNash posted:

loving hell I never expected someone to complain about that. Jaysus, it's totally iconic.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Potsticker posted:

I would say Migi grew attached to him, yes.

Would you believe me if I told you that was entirely unintentional? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

loving hell I never expected someone to complain about that. Jaysus, it's totally iconic.

So what, that makes me obligated to appreciate it?

DrManiac posted:

this is like saying they should cut out the OH MY GOD's out of the stardust crusader anime.

I'm sure there are people out there who cannot stand grampa Jojo's english bits (not me though, I love it).

I personally did not appreciate a gigantic dick being thrown on screen.

• Locked thread