Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mikl posted:

Would you believe me if I told you that was entirely unintentional? :v:

Either way it made me giggle. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Dong jokes are The Gentlemen's jokes and you clearly aren't a gentleman if you can't enjoy them :colbert:

Also, music reminds me of 80s sci-fi movie soundtracks with some added dubstep, and I am okay with that.

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 16, 2014

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I enjoy the dick jokes. The music is pretty bad though.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Talking of music, any idea what's being used in the episode preview?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I am 100% satisfied with the violence, music, and penises to be had in this series. Looking forward to more.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Why do all of Migi's sound effects sound like somebody farting into the mic? It kind of takes the impact out of those attacks.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Episode 2 keeps up the solid production of this great series. I think this might be my pick of the season, it hits a good balance of humor, action, and moral dilemmas.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Why do all of Migi's sound effects sound like somebody farting into the mic? It kind of takes the impact out of those attacks.

Yeah, I think the anime is good but this is so bad.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think it's just another way that they're trying to make everything about the parasites gross but it ends up just being kind of unintentionally funny.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

It's intentionally funny and good.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

God drat you Tokyopop! You liked to me! Lied! :argh:

Edit: I think this show is okay. It's not great, but not bad. I never did get very far in the manga back in the day, so at this point I am watching just to know what happens. I feel like the manga got better as it went on though, but it's pretty fuzzy at this point.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mo_Steel posted:

Episode 2 keeps up the solid production of this great series. I think this might be my pick of the season, it hits a good balance of humor, action, and moral dilemmas.

Hmm---the only weird scene was the after basketball game. Is being a HS boy that dangerous in Japan? That and eh, IDK how I feel about the MC being extremely confident now reminds me a bit of Spider Man actually.

I wonder if this will turn into some superhero series to save humanity from aliens later.

acu
Oct 13, 2014

Alder posted:

Hmm---the only weird scene was the after basketball game. Is being a HS boy that dangerous in Japan? That and eh, IDK how I feel about the MC being extremely confident now reminds me a bit of Spider Man actually.

I wonder if this will turn into some superhero series to save humanity from aliens later.

I thought it was just him relying / trusting Migi that made him confident this episode - when Migi shows any sign of betraying or hurting him he just flips into the defensive.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So it's not normal to talk to yourself like that when you are taking a piss?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Alder posted:

A lot of the high school gang stuff and the fighting was probably a result of the comic originally being drawn in the late 80s where that stuff was a part of the moral panic, etc.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I've never watched an anime that has made me feel vaguely... squicky before. I mean, a lot of scenes with migi being a pseudopod are really unnerving to me.

I really like it, though.

The music is... okay, imo.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's the chances that this will get an English dub?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty high, I'd say.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Neeksy posted:

A lot of the high school gang stuff and the fighting was probably a result of the comic originally being drawn in the late 80s where that stuff was a part of the moral panic, etc.

Oh, that'd make more sense I suppose. I was going :wtf: because what about you know Assault and battery along with school rules?! Since when did HS boys go all 1:1 with no prior warning in between.

Ramagamma posted:

I'd say 50/50 depending on how popular it gets in Japan.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Ramagamma posted:

If horrible crap like Terra Formars gets picked up and this does not, I'm writing a stern letter to somebody, tell you that for free. :mad:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actually we've probably gotten screwed out of a dub or even a home video release for this one. Most major licensers pick things up before they broadcast, so they can get a cut of the streaming revenue. This means that there should be an announcement by now, but there hasn't been one. All we know is that Crunchyroll has it, and Crunchyroll doesn't sell home videos or dub by themselves.

It's probably a case where it's popular enough that rights holder wants to charge a decent amount for the rights, but it isn't popular enough over here for an American company to take the risk.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I didn't like this episode as much as the first. The morality musings seemed a bit dumb.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mercrom posted:

I didn't like this episode as much as the first. The morality musings seemed a bit dumb.

They were college freshman level philosophy, but I think they were good characterisation for Migi.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mercrom posted:

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought the sudden philosophy moment was forced and bad people doing bad things for no reason is always :v:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

So what, that makes me obligated to appreciate it?

I'm sure there are people out there who cannot stand grampa Jojo's english bits (not me though, I love it).

I personally did not appreciate a gigantic dick being thrown on screen.

everytime ViggyNash goes to the bathroom and see his penis he does the Hank Hill BWAH! scream

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Alder posted:

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought the sudden philosophy moment was forced and bad people doing bad things for no reason is always :v:
Yeah, and because the philosophy is forced it kinda hurts the characterization. The formula so far is that the main character becomes morally outraged and then Migi changes the subject to game theory. They are both pretty one-dimensional, and I don't think a creature defined solely by survival instinct can ever be anything more than that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mercrom posted:

Yeah, and because the philosophy is forced it kinda hurts the characterization. The formula so far is that the main character becomes morally outraged and then Migi changes the subject to game theory. They are both pretty one-dimensional, and I don't think a creature defined solely by survival instinct can ever be anything more than that.

Indeed, the only interesting part I managed to consider is how Migi tells the MC he's not insulted being called a "insect or animal." Well, at the end aren't all humans animals after all? plz no religion derail here. It's a strange way to insult a alien esp one who does not share the same values as mankind/humans as seen in his earlier actions.

Although, I can't compare it to the manga original so IDK if they were original lines or a anime-only conversation. I could just sit down and read the drat series but I don't want to watch the show w/outside influences IMHO.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

everytime ViggyNash goes to the bathroom and see his penis he does the Hank Hill BWAH! scream

He said gigantic dick, Dick.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Look, people, if you want to become serious anime fans, you're going to need to learn to love the dick. I prescribe a half-season of JoJo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rexides posted:

They were college freshman level philosophy, but I think they were good characterisation for Migi.

I'm pretty sure the anime is not advocating the musings of an interstellar monster parasite hand as Serious Philosophy, yeah.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Why do all of Migi's sound effects sound like somebody farting into the mic?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-10-16/parasyte-migi-gets-its-sound-effects-from-a-beatboxing-teenage-girl/.80014

Well. Your guess wasn't far off.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo.

So since The Human Beat Box is dead, the dub had better hire Biz Markie.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The mark of a good anime is how far forum users have to stretch to try and criticize. "Eww penises", "Ugh the fart noises".

:drat: AOTS.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I knew it sounded like someone just blowing raspberries constantly.

It's also one of the best parts of the adaptation.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
By the way, is the thread title/OP okay? This is my first attempt at making a thread for an ongoing show and I'm mildly afraid I hosed it up, especially since this isn't a super active thread.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ain't nothing wrong with a Nick Cave reference.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

By the way, is the thread title/OP okay? This is my first attempt at making a thread for an ongoing show and I'm mildly afraid I hosed it up, especially since this isn't a super active thread.

Its just episode 2 not really a whole lot to discuss yet, im sure that the thread will pick up when more of the cast is introduced :sun:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah up to page 3 after 2 episodes is pretty good for a non-mecha, non-moe show that isn't based on a VN. :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Parasyte -the maxim-: David Cronenberg's Midori Days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dammit, I was hoping they'd actually show the fight this episode. I think they managed to make A-san creepier than he was in the manga.

• Locked thread