Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't put my finger on why but I feel like they recently had a couple of good years...

They were pretty good in 2011 and 2012, yes. When the Colts were down. It was shades of the Rockets in 1994-1995 level "good" where you weren't sure if they were good (they were!) or if they were "good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

They were pretty good in 2011 and 2012, yes. When the Colts were down. It was shades of the Rockets in 1994-1995 level "good" where you weren't sure if they were good (they were!) or if they were "good."

j/k the Colts were only down for a year and got Andrew Luck for their troubles.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rockets were good. Really good. Excellent even. Don't buy the "But Jordan was retired!" bullshit

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

2012 Schaub on this team would be a Superbowl favorite. That's part of what makes this so painful. We're literally just a QB away, but QB is the hardest position to fill

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Scott Kacsmar Twitter posted:

Thursday night road games since 2006
Colts: 7-0
Rest of NFL: 29-58 (.333)

A lot of that is probably playing an AFC South opponent every year on TNF though.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So it's 2011 again, and we have all the information we have now.

And you're the Dallas Cowboys, at the draft, sitting at number nine.

JJ Watt is available.

Do you take him, or do you stay with Tyron Smith?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Intruder posted:

2012 Schaub on this team would be a Superbowl favorite. That's part of what makes this so painful. We're literally just a QB away, but QB is the hardest position to fill

nah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: nevermind I misread

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

JJ Watt is available.

You absolutely take Watt and it doesn't even take a second thought to make that decision

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think Luck might be a little better.

Nah, he just has luck on his side.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

JJ Watt is available.

Might as well take Tyron Smith because Watt is going to Carolina

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The real tragedy is that we're going to waste Watt's career here by never turning into anything in the 5 years we've got him signed.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
It's not Hakeem's fault Jordan couldn't get past Penny Hardaway and the Magic. Penny, Dennis Scott and Nick Anderson hit 12 of 23 3 pointers in the United Center to send the Bulls home early. Meanwhile the Rockets had to win elimination games against Utah and Phoenix before Hakeem took apart one of the greatest offensive centers of all time in David Robinson, before embarrassing Shaq. They were more than "good."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I mean, Tyron Smith is also really loving good, with a chance to be a generational player. It's not that cut-and-dry.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

The real tragedy is that we're going to waste Watt's career here by never turning into anything in the 5 years we've got him signed.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Is it 7?

I don't even know things anymore.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

laz0rbeak posted:

It's not Hakeem's fault Jordan couldn't get past Penny Hardaway and the Magic. Penny, Dennis Scott and Nick Anderson hit 12 of 23 3 pointers in the United Center to send the Bulls home early. Meanwhile the Rockets had to win elimination games against Utah and Phoenix before Hakeem took apart one of the greatest offensive centers of all time in David Robinson, before embarrassing Shaq. They were more than "good."

I know they were :shobon: I guess I didn't make it clear enough.

Also this Texans team is so full of talent and it's just so loving frustrating.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Benne posted:

I mean, Tyron Smith is also really loving good, with a chance to be a generational player. It's not that cut-and-dry.

Yeah, I mean, he's a cornerstone left tackle. It's an interesting decision

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

gently caress everything

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Colts probably don't win without the onside kick. Pat McAfee is an unsung hero.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Yeah, I mean, he's a cornerstone left tackle. It's an interesting decision

JJ Watt blew past him at least once last week.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

Is it 7?

I don't even know things anymore.

He had this year and next year left and they signed him to a 6 year extension

So I guess 7 and a half

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

JJ Watt blew past him at least once last week.

Even good players screw up sometimes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why do I have to be a Texans fan. Why couldn't I have been born in Boston or Denver or something

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Good players never have bad plays, or get beat by other good players

Intruder posted:

Why do I have to be a Texans fan. Why couldn't I have been born in Boston or Denver or something

lol you had plenty of time to root for the Cowboys while they were Texas' only team

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

You're right, neither of those teams have ever suffered terrible years, nor will again.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Intruder posted:

The Texans have only been around for 13 years. I've been watching my team suck my entire drat life.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

JJ Watt is available.

Tyron Smith. Dallas D with Watt is still pretty bad, but the O without Smith is pretty abysmal.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Good players never have bad plays, or get beat by other good players

lol you had plenty of time to root for the Cowboys while they were Texas' only team

no self-respecting Houstonian would root for the Cowboys :colbert:

and it seems like you all forget that we were blessed with the Oilers breaking our hearts before that

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Yaws posted:

The Texans have only been around for 13 years. I've been watching my team suck my entire drat life.

Houston fans like Intruder and I experienced the joy of the Oilers prior to the Texans so we have too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

I chose the Buccaneers and they rewarded me with a Superbowl win right before Houston got the Texans, that's the closest I've come to football happiness

It was hollow

e: actually it was the first year of the Texans existence, making it extra hollow

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
There were a bunch of people around town saying they'd rather beat the Cowboys than the Colts. Now they lost to both as penance.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

rebel1608 posted:

Houston fans like Intruder and I experienced the joy of the Oilers prior to the Texans so we have too

What loving joy? WHAT JOY? Oh look, we get to avoid the Bills this year, finally.. GOD DAMNIT gently caress YOU CHIEFS

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

no self-respecting Houstonian would root for the Cowboys :colbert:

and it seems like you all forget that we were blessed with the Oilers breaking our hearts before that

I saw what watching the Oilers did to my dad; I wasn't about to jump headfirst into that. And then the team moved. I root for the Astros, I root for the Rockets, and I've been to some Texans games but I have no problem being a Cowboys fan from Houston, even if Dallas is a shithole.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
So what are the odds that Houston regrets taking Clowney over Bridgewater by the end of the year? I'd say it's almost guaranteed.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

So what are the odds that Houston regrets taking Clowney over Bridgewater by the end of the year? I'd say it's almost guaranteed.

I'd say close to zero. More likely they'll regret not trading up for him, instead holding onto their fourth round pick so they could trade up for Louis Nix

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Yeah. The whole league whiffed pretty bad on Bridgewater.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I was about to say how dumb the other Houston fans are for acting like they root for the most snakebitten sports franchise but this legitimately stole my attention away.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Yeah, I made that same argument a day or two ago about Sherman. I'm merely observing that people comparing the two of them are going to have that game as an actual example of them going head to head. In contrast to the Brady vs. Manning debates where the two are never on the field at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I'd say close to zero. More likely they'll regret not trading up for him, instead holding onto their fourth round pick so they could trade up for Louis Nix

The only way this (incorrect) line of thinking works is if Seahawks only wanted the Vikings' picks with worse position over ours.

If we wanted Teddy, we'd have him. We don't, so we didn't.

• Locked thread