Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

zimbomonkey posted:

Cam plays against nfl teams though

Last year Luck singlehandedly defeated the Seahawks and Niners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Fenrir posted:

Which is sad, because statistically he was a better QB than Aikman in literally every metric possible, but RINGZ.

Metrics only mean so much when you compare players across eras. I know their best years were a decade apart but 1990 and 2000 were so goddamn different.

Also those Raiders teams were built for the pass. Aikman's Cowboys teams were about Emmitt.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

FuzzySkinner posted:

oh man....I am getting so drunk if that ever happens.

Intellectually it's sort of a no lose situation for me but honestly I'd probably just feel a little bad no matter who won (especially if it was Cleveland). Hometown Hoyer leading the forever beaten down Browns to a Superbowl win might be the coolest thing ever but I still love my team. :shrug:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Metrics only mean so much when you compare players across eras. I know their best years were a decade apart but 1990 and 2000 were so goddamn different.

Also those Raiders teams were built for the pass. Aikman's Cowboys teams were about Emmitt.

Gannon came into the league before Aikman and retired after, so yeah his career was longer and most of his best years were a little later but not enough to make that significant of a difference. I still think they're comparable. And yeah, Aikman played on a team with an elite OL and RB that produced a shitload of rushing so passing should have been easier, but Aikman still threw drat near as many picks as TDs, had fewer yards almost every year he started, and only once even threw over 20 TDs.

I hate to use this term, but really. Textbook definition of the most perjorative term of "game manager". Even most Cowboys fans that aren't insane realize he was never anything near an actual elite QB and made the Hall of Fame because he didn't gently caress up too much while his all-world OL and all-world RB and drat near all-world defense won almost about 80-90% of their games (including 3 super bowls) for like 4 years straight.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 15, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
But really, how many players are in the hall mostly due to RINGZ and didn't actually deserve it?

Lynn Swann
Aikman I guess?

uh, maybe Joe Namath?

basically, we complain about the Ringz, but there are so few players who actually meet this criteria, and even those who do are still pretty good players who deserved an argument. Ringz are not that overvalued.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 15, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Febreeze posted:

But really, how many players are in the hall mostly due to RINGZ and didn't actually deserve it?

Lynn Swann
Aikman I guess?

uh, maybe Joe Namath?

Terry loving Bradshaw.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Joe Namath isn't a maybe

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Intellectually it's sort of a no lose situation for me but honestly I'd probably just feel a little bad no matter who won (especially if it was Cleveland). Hometown Hoyer leading the forever beaten down Browns to a Superbowl win might be the coolest thing ever but I still love my team. :shrug:

Town would go insane if that ever happens.

Last time it happened? People were literally honking horns outside the Denver Broncos hotel to keep them awake. People were starting chants at 5 star restaurants and during performances at the Cleveland Orchestra. Local TV stations were telling people where to pick up dog biscuits (to chuck at the Broncos).

Seeing a ton of Browns gear on people lately. It's been incredible. You want to see a city go insane over pro football? Cleveland...man. My friends and I dream of that.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Namath, Aikmen, and a handful of the 70s Steelers are the only players I can think of.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Chichevache posted:

Last year Luck singlehandedly defeated the Seahawks and Niners.

When one receiver accounts for nearly 2/3 of your passing yards and both your touchdowns, you aren't "singlehandedly" doing anything. TY Hilton accounted for 140 out of 240 passing yards in the seahawks game.

And in the 49ers game, he threw for less than 200 yards and no touchdowns. Then he ran in a short td run late in the game.

What are you talking about

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 15, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Will to power, comrade.

edit

VVVVVVV
I was being sarcastic and then I deleted it because I thought it wasn't funny.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 15, 2014

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

ohhh, you're being sarcastic. gotcha.

now you deleted it so i don't know what the gently caress

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Lynn Swan basically invented the acrobatic catch. In his era, he was a drat good receiver. Its not an egregious selection to the HoF. As for Bradshaw, someone here posted a really good writeup on why he should be in the HoF. Basically, Bradshaw managed to straddle the two eras of football in the 70's. He managed to be effective in the run dominant era and when the rule changes opened up the passing game. Bradshaw's stats aren't great, but again we are talking about the 70's. Dude definitely belongs in the Hall.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Will to power, comrade.

edit

VVVVVVV
I was being sarcastic and then I deleted it because I thought it wasn't funny.

i thought it was funny enough

it's good to be on the same page.

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Homestar Runner posted:

If I was commissioner I would enact a separate Hall of Legends which inducts players not based on their on-field/statistical prowess, but rather their legendarity

Sexy Rexy and Orton would be first ballot

I approve of this idea and in doing so nominate Bernard Pollard, slayer of Patriots. And perhaps Antonio Brown, if he gives us a couple more flying kicks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Andrew Luck is already at 74. He's got 19 in 6 games this season. There is a possibility he will break that record this season. :staredog:

He's having a good year but I don't think he's going to throw 449 TDs the rest of the way :v:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Lynn Swann
Aikman I guess?

uh, maybe Joe Namath?

basically, we complain about the Ringz, but there are so few players who actually meet this criteria, and even those who do are still pretty good players who deserved an argument. Ringz are not that overvalued.

The greater concern is the pro bowl. Every year we all talk about it like it's a big wank but come contract time players use it as a bargaining chip and it plays a big part in future HOF consideration.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

"you want to see me go deep, girl?"

"press your luck, baby"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Jesus, who gives a poo poo about the hall of fame

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Personally I'm hoping for a Baltimore/Cleveland AFC Championship. The Browns are nearly guaranteed to go 6-2 and the Ravens have a legit shot at the same with a schedule that lightens up after the Bengals game but for the Chargers and Browns which are both home games.

If that happened and Baltimore of all teams won that game I would feel so bad for a few minutes.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i'm absolutely willing to sacrifice the hawks at the altar if it means a browns superbowl. if i could make a trade where the hawks losing every game from here to the end of the season meant sending the browns to the superbowl i'd do that poo poo in a second because it would be a victory for Justice and Football, the two greatest things on this absurd and stupid planet

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I would sacrifice every Seahawks victory from now until the end of time if it means the Browns win a Super Bowl.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I would sacrifice every Seahawks victory from now until the end of time if it means the Browns win a Super Bowl.

How noble of you.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I will sacrifice every Seahawk if it means the Browns win a Super Bowl.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BlindSite posted:

The greater concern is the pro bowl. Every year we all talk about it like it's a big wank but come contract time players use it as a bargaining chip and it plays a big part in future HOF consideration.

That's because Pro Bowl selections (mostly) matter, the actual game does not

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flikken posted:

How noble of you.

What can I say? I have a generous spirit.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

I'll start referring to this type of players collectively as aikmen.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

How did no one mention Art Monk?

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

FizFashizzle posted:

How did no one mention Art Monk?

Because Art Monk is the second best receiver ever, after Cris Carter.

Well, ok. Third best.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

AutomaticPrince posted:

For the hall of fame talk: Out of the QBs you guys listed Manning & Brady are sure bets. Brees is probably closest to them. Eli and Ben are on the bubble and off the field stuff will be the reason they don't vote Ben in. Eli needs a couple more solid years I think. Rodgers if he continues the way he is, then he's in. Rivers would need to win a few titles in the next few years as I don't think his career numbers are good enough. To put it in perspective, guys like Kerry Collins and Drew Bledsoe are really high on the all time leaders list but are never brought up in the HOF discussions. Romo is right behind Rivers in terms of stats and noone is even thinking he's close to HOF material.

Great now I have a headache :ughh:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

BlindSite posted:

Cam Newton reached 100 Total touchdowns this week. 2nd fastest player to get there behind Marino.

Current record holder for total TDs is Brett Favre with 522. Soon to be eclipsed by Peyton who's got 517.

For stupid reasons sake, if Cam Newton played as many games as Favre he'd amass 569 total touchdowns.

And Marino did it in an entirely different era that wasn't nearly as pass happy. Marino would have done it in half the time with these new rules. God dammit dan why can't we clone you

Obligatory "who was on a BYE week, by the way... And he.. He... DAMMIT"

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Fenrir posted:

Terry loving Bradshaw.

Eh, you could make a case for Bradshaw. A couple of those rings were the offense.

But Namath being in there is a joke.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 15, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Football would be so much more strategic, entertaining and suspenseful if every team got a pair of Marino clones.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hey it is a Hall of Fame, not a Hall of Good Football Players.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

TyroneGoldstein posted:

But Namath being in there is a joke.
Kids these days...

http://www.footballperspective.com/joe-namath-has-become-footballs-most-misunderstood-quarterback/

quote:

In fact, Namath, Dan Marino and Bob Griese remain the only quarterbacks to earn four Pro Bowls by the end of their age 26 seasons. And he remained the youngest quarterback to win the Super Bowl until Tom Brady in Super Bowl XXXVI. Namath was one of the most hyped quarterback prospects of his era, akin to how Andrew Luck is viewed today. Namath then signed with the AFL instead of the NFL, adding legitimacy to the younger league. He was given the largest contract in the history of professional football, and then lived up to that hype by having one of the best starts to a career of any quarterback in football history. But injuries would soon begin to chip away at Namath’s prime years.

quote:

Even among his contemporaries, Namath’s completion percentage wasn’t very good. But he also was #1 in both sack rate and yards per completion, an incredibly difficult feat to pull off. Thanks to Namath’s incredibly fast release and his big arm, the Jets designed a vertical offense that was effective at moving the ball down the field. In the most basic form of passing measurement, Net Yards per Attempt, Namath ranked 1st by half a yard per attempt. In ANY/A, which includes a penalty for interceptions and a bonus for touchdowns, Namath falls just 0.01 ANY/A out of second place.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

He's the Jets Don Mattingly except he won a title.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fenrir posted:

I hate to use this term, but really. Textbook definition of the most perjorative term of "game manager". Even most Cowboys fans that aren't insane realize he was never anything near an actual elite QB and made the Hall of Fame because he didn't gently caress up too much while his all-world OL and all-world RB and drat near all-world defense won almost about 80-90% of their games (including 3 super bowls) for like 4 years straight.

I think he was an elite QB on pure ability, he just wasn't asked to play like one because they didn't need that with the running game being what it was. If you actually watch old games of his he would consistently make throws that only a small handful of QBs can make. He had elite arm strength and unbelievable accuracy for that era. His numbers don't stack up because passing took a huge leap forward after he was done as an elite QB and he was in an offense that suppressed his numbers. Dallas needed was a game manger type who could keep a defense honest by throwing deep a few times a game, and he was absolutely great at that. I genuinely think he had the talent to succeed anywhere though. There was a reason he was always the go-to example scouts used when they were talking about a prototypical pocket passer. I don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame based on what he actually produced (and when it comes to that he shouldn't get credit for what might have been), but I absolutely don't agree with the idea that he was just an okay quarterback who happened to be in the right place. He was an elite talent in an offense that didn't necessarily need that or feature it very well.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

So it's even worse of a HoF choice because he's just a system QB.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

We really are a pretty good team too. We just need another good WR(please start producing Torrey Smith) and Will Hill to come in and replace Elam(I think they're the same safety anyway). And for the left side of the O-line to get healthy. I think we are a sleeper pick for the AFC title right now.

Will Hill plays Free Safety while Elam is a Strong Safety/Nickle (occasionally) so I'm pretty sure he's not going to replace Elam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Athanatos posted:

So it's even worse of a HoF choice because he's just a system QB.
Namath owns always and forever. Daryle Lamonica should be in the HoF as well.

• Locked thread