Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Houston is probably one of the biggest candidates for a crazy huge trade up* using all their picks in years.

With St. Louis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah. The whole league whiffed pretty bad on Bridgewater.

Regardless, we'll find out what the Texans have in Clowney in a week and a half when they play the Steelers. Maybe he'll be JJ v2 and the Texans will beast their way through the rest of the season

(don't count on it)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Puppy Bowl posted:

let's maybe wait a few more games to make this decision. Sure, he's looked good so far but 2 games against the 2014 Falcons and Saints don't make you a great QB.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

The only way this (incorrect) line of thinking works is if Seahawks only wanted the Vikings' picks with worse position over ours.

If we wanted Teddy, we'd have him. We don't, so we didn't.

I'm not sure how that contradicts my statement

We valued a 4th round pick over moving up to get Teddy, so we missed out on him. That pick was instead traded to get Louis Nix

The fact that they decided they didn't want Teddy doesn't make it the right call. I'm pretty sick of seeing the argument "Oh, they didn't want Teddy that's why they didn't trade up for him" as if that's some kind of proof that he wasn't worth trading up for

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
EDIT: Meh, now's not the time for this sort of argument. I'm sorry.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 10, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

We valued a 4th round pick over a potential franchise QB? Guess we really didn't want Teddy, thanks for agreeing

I love that you view the front office not wanting him as some sort of proof they shouldn't have taken him. Oh they could have had Patrick Willis? Well they clearly wanted Okoye instead :smug:

The fact that the FO didn't want Teddy isn't vindication for not taking him

bhsman posted:

EDIT: Meh, now's not the time for this sort of argument. I'm sorry.

This is probably the right response rather than suggesting the Texans front office is infallible

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 10, 2014

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For what it's worth, JJ and AJ80 are two of the most awesome, classiest dudes this generation and I fear playing them. If you grab yourselves a decent QB, like a certain someone in Buffalo, you become instant playoff contenders. Much love to the Texan fans.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Let's maybe wait for him to play a few more games before crowning him, yeah?

e: Chir already beat me to this point, should have read to the end of the thread before replying

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

that's no way to talk about future hof first ballot ted "Mr. February" bridgewater

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Had to work tonight so I just caught the game and hoooooooooly poo poo Watt is ridiculous.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

For what it's worth, JJ and AJ80 are two of the most awesome, classiest dudes this generation and I fear playing them. If you grab yourselves a decent QB, like a certain someone in Buffalo, you become instant playoff contenders. Much love to the Texan fans.

I still love this dumb team and I'm actually really happy (like I was last Sunday) that it wasn't a blowout. I'm glad I get to cheer for JJ and AJ80 and Arian Foster and yeah, the lows suck but the highs are so awesome.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

I still love this dumb team and I'm actually really happy (like I was last Sunday) that it wasn't a blowout. I'm glad I get to cheer for JJ and AJ80 and Arian Foster and yeah, the lows suck but the highs are so awesome.

I feel like we found something AJ80 can excel at in this offense, those sideline throws were basically indefensible

I have no idea why they BOB didn't call that more often

e: reminder, the Texans literally could have swapped Fiedorowicz and Sua Filo, neither one of whom has been worth a drat, for Bridgewater

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 10, 2014

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This game was like that Lucy and Charlie Brown routine with kicking the football except if Lucy first kicked Charlie Brown squarely in the nuts, waited for him to get up, THEN yanked the ball away at the last moment. And then kicked him in the nuts again.

It's never been more clear to me how good this team could be with even a league-average QB. And maybe some better O-line pass blocking, but, you know...

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Whoa whoa whoa.

This turned out to be a good game???? Why didn't anyone tell me? I blame you all I thought you were all my bros :mad:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ramadu posted:

Whoa whoa whoa.

This turned out to be a good game???? Why didn't anyone tell me? I blame you all I thought you were all my bros :mad:

Well, it certainly didn't start that way.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You guys are terrible. Watt has played 4 garbage o lines, that is why his stats are crazy. He is awesome, but don't go crazy thinking add a qb and 5 superbowls you win.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Elephanthead posted:

You guys are terrible. Watt has played 4 garbage o lines, that is why his stats are crazy. He is awesome, but don't go crazy thinking add a qb and 5 superbowls you win.

There's enough talent on the Texans' offense and defense to believe that they are a QB away from being a good team though, which is what people are saying.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

bondster posted:

gently caress this stat

gently caress the Colts

Hey we didn't want the Colts to be put in the AFCS, we all wanted them to stay in the AFCE(where they still spent the most time since moving to Indy, barely at this point). It's the NFL's fault

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, I made that same argument a day or two ago about Sherman. I'm merely observing that people comparing the two of them are going to have that game as an actual example of them going head to head. In contrast to the Brady vs. Manning debates where the two are never on the field at the same time.

And Smith won. Watt didn't do poo poo in that game.

E: 0 sacks 0 hits and 4 tackles and the Texans got run all over all day too. :effort:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 10, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
After seeing that game, I'm kinda impressed that the Titans didn't lose even more games last year with Fitzpatrick at QB.

All I could say for a couple minutes after tuning away from that last fumble was, "What a shame. What a drat shame."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I didn't end up watching this game, but I did see Fiz's spot on Red Band Society while my fiance binged through it on Hulu, and that was almost as good.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

All I could say for a couple minutes after tuning away from that last fumble was, "What a shame. What a drat shame."
The Texans in general are a drat shame. Since peaking as a franchise in Game Number One, they've done nothing in their whole lives except spin their wheels, draft badly, and lose games in just about every absurd fashion you can imagine. Yet, they have a season ticket waiting list a mile long, every other car has that ridiculous logo on it, and ownership makes money hand over fist and dominates Houston society while taking a casual disinterest in the on-field product. And I don't blame Bob McNair's disinterest anymore. If I made Bob McNair money running tomato cans out there while letting a solid gold can loose every now and then I wouldn't lose sleep. He's a Houstonian, I'm a Houstonian, and without making money Houston would still be a swampy hole in the ground between San Antonio and Galveston.

But I don't own a NFL franchise. The NFL is just a consumable for me. I wouldn't spend money a deodorant that makes my pits stink, why on earth do I spend time with a team that just lets me down and makes me feel sorry for my hometown?

Maybe I just need a break from football.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Korranus posted:

The Texans in general are a drat shame. Since peaking as a franchise in Game Number One, they've done nothing in their whole lives except spin their wheels, draft badly, and lose games in just about every absurd fashion you can imagine. Yet, they have a season ticket waiting list a mile long, every other car has that ridiculous logo on it, and ownership makes money hand over fist and dominates Houston society while taking a casual disinterest in the on-field product. And I don't blame Bob McNair's disinterest anymore. If I made Bob McNair money running tomato cans out there while letting a solid gold can loose every now and then I wouldn't lose sleep. He's a Houstonian, I'm a Houstonian, and without making money Houston would still be a swampy hole in the ground between San Antonio and Galveston.

But I don't own a NFL franchise. The NFL is just a consumable for me. I wouldn't spend money a deodorant that makes my pits stink, why on earth do I spend time with a team that just lets me down and makes me feel sorry for my hometown?

Maybe I just need a break from football.

It's a QB away from being a team that probably wins the division (Luck is still surrounded by poo poo), and it's better than the poo poo team that got stolen away from there. I wouldn't get too depressed quite yet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Luck's actually got a lot of talent around him. The offensive line is a work in progress and has a lot of injuries right now, but they held up pretty well.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

rebel1608 posted:

That game was just draining on every level. We had better draft a loving first round QB next year, I don't care if we have to trade our entire draft for it.
Winston will by there when the Texans pick.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Elephanthead posted:

No one has said that. Certainly no true Houston fan has said that. That level of optimism is absolutely unheard-of here.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

let's maybe wait a few more games to make this decision. Sure, he's looked good so far but 2 games against the 2014 Falcons and Saints don't make you a great QB.

Bro, did you see Ponder last week? Teddy clearly would have been a better pick than Clowney based on that alone!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

yes, but they aren't the dolphins.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What does that even mean?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Atticus Finch posted:

Winston will by there when the Texans pick.

The Texans front office rides the player morality high horse so Winston likely won't even be on their draft board. My hope is Mariota or Hundley falls.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Korranus posted:

draft badly, and lose games in just about every absurd fashion you can imagine

They've actually been drafting pretty well over the past few years. Actually I think they did pretty much everything right (that they could have realistically done) from 2011-2013 but as it turns out you can do all the right things and still not win a championship (see also: The 2012 Atlanta Falcons). Not getting a QB sucks but think about it from the angle that they weren't planning to compete this year--3-2 is a happy accident for a team that was 2-14 last season, albeit one that significantly underperformed its talent level.

Korranus posted:

The Texans front office rides the player morality high horse so Winston likely won't even be on their draft board. My hope is Mariota or Hundley falls.
Why are you saying this like it's a bad thing?

sean10mm posted:

And Smith won. Watt didn't do poo poo in that game.

E: 0 sacks 0 hits and 4 tackles and the Texans got run all over all day too. :effort:

Let's not get too carried away here--Smith got beat pretty bad by Watt a couple of times and got bailed out by Romo, especially on that insane TD pass to Williams. Romo has always made his O-lines look good, and so when he's got a great line, the effect is even better.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Colts are the luckiest loving team and I loving hate them (despite them only playing the Browns once in a blue moon).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Zero_Grade posted:

The Colts are the luckiest loving team and I loving hate them (despite them only playing the Browns once in a blue moon).

Hey we gave Chud a job we are not all bad.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Elephanthead posted:

Hey we gave Chud a job we are not all bad.

And you are letting Dquell beast it up too.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Probably Magic posted:

It's a QB away from being a team that probably wins the division (Luck is still surrounded by poo poo), and it's better than the poo poo team that got stolen away from there. I wouldn't get too depressed quite yet.

That TY Hilton sure sucks!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Bad Moon posted:

That TY Hilton sure sucks!

Hilton is only playing well because Hakeem Nicks is drawing def-

I can't even finish. I am so glad Carolina did not seriously pursue him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

waah posted:

Hilton is only playing well because Hakeem Nicks is drawing def-

I can't even finish. I am so glad Carolina did not seriously pursue him.

Nicks is actually playing really well.

The Colts O is actually pretty good, besides Trent.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Intruder posted:

What loving joy? WHAT JOY? Oh look, we get to avoid the Bills this year, finally.. GOD DAMNIT gently caress YOU CHIEFS

First time in my life I've heard playoff anger towards the chiefs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

I was going to say that's because you're like 20, but honestly it's the only time in my lifetime too. The other win was Pittsburgh who have no reason to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Pron on VHS posted:

The Oilers were so lovely in the playoffs that our list of playoff nemeses are teams who themselves are famous for choking. Bills, Chiefs, jinx-era Broncos

• Locked thread