Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ok, long one here regarding PEB and whatnot.
I am rated by the VA 100% P&T all resulting from combat/combat training with 13 years in (3 Active, the rest Guard, with 3 Iraq Deployments). No one has told me what to expect from any of this- let me rephrase that, I am getting tons of conflicting reports. I have been told at various times that I will get a pension, a severance, that I will get special pension that allows me to draw both DoD and VA, and assorted other typical Army bullshit.
Is there a typical dispensation with someone in my situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

OK, people are crossing the streams a little bit here. you've got 100% from the VA. What is your PEB rating, if you know it? And can I assume you are being medically separated?

You VA disability is separate from your DoD retirement or severance.

Everyone who leaves service and has injuries, even if they were fit for duty may me entitled to a VA disability check. As for DoD, to get any money at all you need to be separated for medical reasons. If your PEB rating comes back 30% or lower, you will get severance pay. 30% and up medical retirement. Generally speaking, you are not entitled to receive compensation twice for the same injury unless you fit certain criteria, so your VA payment will be reduced in the amount of your medical retired pay, unless you waive your medical retired pay. (there are times when this makes A LOT of sense...there are times when it doesn't, so without more info on your numbers I don't want to weigh in on this.) You have less than 20 years, so the only one that might apply to you is the combat related provisions. This is covered at length in the 2008 NDAA. Basically, if it's combat related, you are exempt from the dual compensation restrictions. This article does a fairly decent job explaining it and explaining what is "combat related. It's military.com...eeew. But it's a lot clearer than trying to slog through the NDAA.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/combat-related-special-compensation.html

If you get me more specifics on your PEB findings/breakdown, we can look at this further.

Edited to add: sorry. En route to garlic festival and mind is on garlic but reserves and guard have some additional complications. Will give you a more thoughtful look tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I don't have a PEB rating yet, I'm not even in IDES tracker yet.lol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have been in the process for five years. My packet should be arriving at big Army for the PEB process, with the MEB having been done in 2009.
Yes, it has been a serious loving cluster. The Army already has all my VA information/medical records, and I am being told it should be relatively quick (ha!) decision. My question was really a more of what should I expect at the end of all this bullshit, and maybe how painful of a process this is going to be.
E: I will type out a long, detailed thing later- I am on my phone right now.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 12, 2014

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My MEB started back in like 2008, no one told my unit for nearly a year. My unit finally got their poo poo together somewhat and started my PEB packet. Then, mistakes between my unit, both in procedure and communication, created a cascade of problems that is finally resolved. It has finally left my unit, been pushed up through Division and is slated to leave the NGB for the big Army this week or so. No one has given me any clear advice on what to expect, or exactly how this is supposed to work. I really would like to know what the best case and the worst case scenario of the final outcome of my PEB. If you need more personal and private info regarding conditions and whatnot, I would be happy to share them privately.

Most of the total time was do to incompetence in my unit, and my own mistakes when I was told the wrong things.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

unit incompetence happens...a lot. Sad to see that part hasn't changed. I suppose this means I'll finally have to upgrade my acct. :(

I can always email so you don't have to.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

So this came up in discussion...
If a person still serving in the Guard/Reserves up and went to fight ISIS with like Kurds or some poo poo, what would the reprecussions be?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

zombie303 posted:

Wouldn't that be treason?

That's what I said, but someone else made the point that they aren't a uniformed service or other state's military.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Wouldn't fall under UCMJ if they aren't activated on title 10. State and Federal laws would probably apply.

You still fall under UCMJ, even if not Title 10, or so I thought.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Since this turned into the kinda unofficial PEB thread-
Have any Goons gone through the process with a VA rating at the start of the MEB/PEB process? Did your VA rating change by the end?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Advocate like a mother fucker.
My State's VA had a woman who Rep'd for me after the VA gave me an Eval, said my conditions had worsened, and then dropped my rating. It was a cluster. But she navigated it for me, only called to give updates or if there was an issue, and within the semester got my poo poo fixed and my rating even raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress Roundboy, I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

There is a lot of variables, but every DUI with injury or death have ever heard of that was handled by the .mil ended up with the driver getting hosed pretty hard.

• Locked thread