Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Good enough place as any to park my advice on the MEB process, from someone who oversaw a ton of that poo poo, went through that poo poo, and came out on both ends (DoD and VA) happy on the first go around from Active Duty. I got hit around 10 years of active service, too. So I had seen the system from the first dude I helped bounce in the dark days of 04 all the way to me in 2013. loving MEBs and PEBs have changed a lot. I remember dudes getting rubber stamped and paid for a long time. The second budgets tightened? Wooooooboy. Wow. We kicked that one kid out of BMT when he developed AML and were like "lol no chemo for you sport, but don't worry they'll name a legal doctrine after you some day Mr. Airman 4th Class Eddie Slovak Ferres Jr."

:(

The DoD does sometime match the VA rating though. You've gotta be pretty deep into officer rank territory for it to ever make sense to take the DoD money instead of the VA money at that point. Reason? DoD is capped at 70% Of your high three for retirement pay purposes. And your rear end pays taxes on your DoD pension, whereas disability is tax free.

There have only been 2 posters I know of here who might benefit from taking DoD pension over VA Disability payments for pay purposes.

And it's none of you loving idiots. So take the VA money, and put it ALL in the TSP G fund to save up for that mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

zombie303 posted:

The Thread title says "you" instead of "your" and it is bugging the poo poo out of me.

He right.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

not caring here posted:

This is timely. ActusRhesus, I just got a call from my PEBLO yesterday, told me that my ratings came back and that I got rated 100% army, 100% VA. I'm supposed to go in there Tuesday and check that poo poo out with the PEBLO. Seeing as how I hit the retard jackpot, should I even bother having JAG look over it or just sign that bitch and proceed to get the gently caress out as quickly as I possibly can? Anything that I should be looking for when I'm in there?

Take it. Probably.

If they are giving you a 100% rating on both ends I'd just point out that 100% TDRL is still TDRL. 100% chance they drop it on you later. If they're willing to own up to you bring 100% and combat related right now, demand PDRL if your willing to fight. It's what I did. It took time but I was fairly treated, if slowly.

Also, you'll want to see if the 100% rating from the VA is one of the following:

Permanent and Total
Based on total disability (Multi disabilities)
Based on total disability (Single disability)
Employability

From best to worst those are differences in 100% ratings. Also, find out whether the disability was determined to be combat related. If it happened in combat it's combat related. Make sure they note that. Permanent and Total is an important distinction in some places. Where I live being rated 100% P&T versus any other category means your saving ~10-12k in property taxes each year here. Plus other stuff. Same thing goes for combat related designation of your disability. Copies of your CAB or any other decs is usually all you need to make sure that's clear, but make sure what you sign reflects it, as it's much harder to fix the mistake later.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

not caring here posted:

That's looks like a pro post right there. I'll definitely be on the look out for that. Combat related, and permanent and total as opposed to temporary.

Thanks for that.

Yeah. I was 100% DoD and VA by my IPEB, but it was TDRL for the DoD, and Permanent and Total by the VA. At my 1 year TDRL re-exam the neurologists were like "lol" and I'm now on PDRL.

Oh and crazy but crazy is temporary, you can somewhat medicate crazy.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't have a PEB rating yet, I'm not even in IDES tracker yet.lol

lol

If you aren't in IDES and haven't done your C&P exams yet you are nowhere in the MEB, let alone Retirement process.

I know yours is gonna be complicated but if you start from the beginning maybe I can help?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Roundboy posted:

I dont want to be a Debbie downer, I just want to set expectations. Life sucks, you move on.

Roundboy posted:

Thanks for the positive .mil loving. I feel better. I'll buy anyone a beer when I fly out to Pendleton next week( and you are there in 2nd battalion 5th marines)

I got a friend who knew/knows your brothers killer pretty well.

Sounds like he (not your bro) was a sizzling hot psychiatric soup sandwich of poo poo to begin with or something along these lines.

You'll be happy to know that the USMC will not not let that mitigate poo poo, as there's no real provision for it under the UCMJ as I understand it. So sad brains mcboot shouldn't be getting a stay at Walter reed psych and 3 hots and group therapy. Sounds like he'll just get regular rear end military prison.

He won't get raped or anything though, bro. Military prison is better than civilian vet with DH discharge any day of the week.

That DH he's getting makes night stocking part time at wal-mart in even rural America off limits for employment. He's 100% unemployable now, that's when his real punishment begins.

Until then? Three decent hots, an ok cot, and 100% guaranteed safety and security. And no real worry about rear end rapes and 0 worries about HIV/Hep C or being converted to Islam in a simultaneously forcibly, and interracially sexual way.

Shame you can't get him to a real federal court. Bet one of GiP's federales could have had him tuned up for you, or his stay extended on some trumped up bs. But that doesn't happen in military prison, it's sort of utopia prison wise, only Norway gets more chill.

:(

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

ActusRhesus posted:

I've honestly never heard of that happening. I've only seen crimes committed on active duty but not discovered until after retirement.

I swear I've heard of us retired dudes getting yanked under UCMJ justification for ultra loving in some weird rare court martial for crimes committed while retired.

But my source is "I heard this one time.." and your a lawyer so I bet your right. Since you can do like 3 keystrokes and find out... could you see what the precedent is for DoD exercising UCMJ authorities over retirees?

P.S. Welcome back to America, Greenmeat. Pots kinda legal where you are, go find some charlottes web or any high CBD derivation thereof and spend a day with a bong and your medical/service records, you'll be in for a trip. Later, when you can handle that THC move up to the Sour Diesel and trust me when I say your life will be made better, and your day with your records will be even more revealing.

Thirty is ridiculous brother, hats off. You old.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

GreenMeat posted:

Excellent, thank you!

Good advice. My girl's daughter is going to hook me up with some decent stuff as a retirement gift. I've been told that it's a lot different than the reggie I used to bake with back in the early 80s, and that I need to pace myself to avoid ending up on the sofa drooling into my lap/screaming inside my head. I plan to chill with the dogges and work up a tolerance in tiny increments. Nothing much else to do in this snow-dusted hellhole of a city right now, anyway.

e: weird thing to talk about in the legal thread. Awww...gently caress it; gonna get both my medical MJ and AARP cards this year.

Proud of u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Cole posted:

Smoke dat poo poo Greeny

I smoked an ounce a week for the first month and a half or so I was back. My tolerance is so loving high that I'm taking February off.

An ounce a week is insane. I feel pretty lovely for a variety of reasons at my ~.25 oz a week habbit, I'm cutting back to weekends and after 6pm only starting in March or April.

It's not booze and won't likely kill you as easily, but it sure can form a habit and a tolerance as you clearly discovered.

Good on you for taking a break. Hacking up weird poo poo from your lungs yet or cough so much your ribs hurt for days yet?

If not? Give it time.

• Locked thread