Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey actus. Cross posting more divorce fun from the a/t legal thread...

nwin posted:

Alright so divorce is looking inevitable-a few questions.

I'm active duty military, 9 years in, been married 7.5
No kids

I know I'll pay alimony, just not sure how much since all the calculators are different.

It's amicable, so a no-fault divorce or uncontested.

We are stationed in mass, my home of record is Arizona and that's where I have my cars registered, pay taxes, drivers license.

She just got a mass drivers license so that makes her a resident of mass, right? She was born in North Carolina.

I called up some lawyer in Arizona and told her my story and she said to file in mass, but I'm not sure how I can have jurisdiction here since I'm only PCS here and my wife is a resident (though I did read only one of us has to be a resident to file, but maybe I'm a resident due to being stationed here?)

Looking online, usually in divorce, insurance will continue to cover my wife. However, looking at Tricare (military insurance) it seems that's only the case if we follow the 20-20-20 rule. So she's screwed out of that I think.

I've got a meeting with military legal tomorrow and they said they will only give some advice, are willing to look over forms, and provide referrals, which is fine.

Here's the questions:

1) since it's no fault, is there any possibility of using some online forms to reduce the costs and maybe just do It ourselves? I've heard good and bad things about them. Any recommendation?

2) if we need to lawyer up, that means one lawyer for each of us...how much can each of us expect to spend? I know this is subject to a ton of stuff, but looking at some estimates would be great.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread