Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:toot::siren:Update Time:siren::toot:

Episode 56 - The Faenal Showdown with ChaosArgate and hitbox stream chat.

Thank you, friends. I really mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I could have sworn you could use the longshot to stun Ganondorf so you can smack him, but it doesn't seem so.

Anyway congrats on beating Ocarina of Time!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

You can hookshot to his cape, but that's it. The bunny slippers are probably the best way for a normal person to get across though.

Anyway grats on beating it and it's refreshing to know opps wrong button still happens at the very end of this whole thing. Gives me hope for Geop.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm a little surprised that ChaosArgate hadn't seen Ganondorf's spirit bomb attack before. The best way to deal with it isn't really the spin attack, just shove a Light Arrow up his nose while he's charging.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I never knew about the spirt bomb, or Phantom Ganon's Psycho Crusher.

Or how useful Deku Nuts were. This and Chaos mode were truly informative.

e: also, which video did Panzer commentate on?

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 24, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

YggiDee posted:

I'm a little surprised that ChaosArgate hadn't seen Ganondorf's spirit bomb attack before. The best way to deal with it isn't really the spin attack, just shove a Light Arrow up his nose while he's charging.

Yeah, I'm super surprised too. I was spamming the chat with variants of "shoot him" and had literally no idea the spin attack would do anything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He's legit never done it to me. :shrug: Sorry if I ignored anyone in chat, I tried to do the commentary as I usually did.

FeyerbrandX posted:

e: also, which video did Panzer commentate on?

Jabu Jabu's Belly and Fire Temple.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

He's legit never done it to me. :shrug: Sorry if I ignored anyone in chat, I tried to do the commentary as I usually did.

That's totally fine. If you're quick with your Light Arrows and hit him really fast, you can probably beat him without ever seeing the attack.

And yeah, I totally get that the chat was going really fast and you guys couldn't read everything.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

When big ganon does his horizontal sword slash, you can backflip over it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

The Light Arrows might be the best way to respond to that attack, but deflecting all of Ganondorf's blasts with the spin attack is the coolest way to deal with it. :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I see that through it all, Fae and I share the same great weakness in 3D adventure games/3D platforming.

Depth perception

Still, good job kicking rear end Fae. It is total bullshit that Link doesn't get to go to the sweet party after doing basically all of the work though :mad:

Also, sweet Jesus I forgot how long the tennis back and forth could go for a single shot :staredog:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KieranWalker posted:

The Light Arrows might be the best way to respond to that attack, but deflecting all of Ganondorf's blasts with the spin attack is the coolest way to deal with it. :colbert:

I think doing it stuns him longer too.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I chose a good time to start following this LP! I just caught up right as this video was posted. Good playthrough.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I wonder why there isn't a Legend of Zelda tennis game yet?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Nihilarian posted:

I wonder why there isn't a Legend of Zelda tennis game yet?

Because Link would always win? Or he gets disqualified for using a sword/bottle/bug net/etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YggiDee posted:

Because Link would always win? Or he gets disqualified for using a sword/bottle/bug net/etc.

Maybe he could try out for Lacrosse instead?

DocGator
May 6, 2007

This was a good thread, congrats on beating the game!
Also, did the single redead at the end of the escape crack anyone else up or was it just me?

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
The redead is the Marauder Shields of Ocarina of Time

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Congrats Fae! This has definitely been the best OoT Let's Play. I can't wait for your next LP, that game looks weird as hell. And then Majora's Mask may very well be an exercise in shadenfraude. :getin:

Also, way back when I think I heard mention you and ChaosArgate might comment over the world record speed run? It's kinda insane and puts Chaos Edition to shame and is definitely worth watching.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
I think it's implied that the castle collapse is supposed to be more like an actual castle collapsing should be, falling apart and crushing anybody in there, much like it looks like after the cutscene is over instead of just at the end of the cutscene. It's just a limitation of the N64 that they couldn't render every part crumbling to bits. If you hadn't escaped and stayed on top, you would have certainly been buried and crushed under rubble with the weight of the most of the tower.

As an aside, I've read a theory that in the timeline branch LTTP is in where Link fails, it's right in that fight against Ganon, and that the reason is that Navi didn't manage to rally and assist Link. It usually gets cut close even with faries. If you lacked Z-targeting, you'd die more likely than not. Once I grasped how important Navi is like that, I gained much more of a new respect. She might be a bit too eager to help, but without her helping at all, you're facing the BAD END.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Faylone posted:

As an aside, I've read a theory that in the timeline branch LTTP is in where Link fails, it's right in that fight against Ganon, and that the reason is that Navi didn't manage to rally and assist Link. It usually gets cut close even with faries. If you lacked Z-targeting, you'd die more likely than not. Once I grasped how important Navi is like that, I gained much more of a new respect. She might be a bit too eager to help, but without her helping at all, you're facing the BAD END.

Maybe, almost... it'd have to have been a different version of this fight where Ganondorf comes in and fights you just as you enter the sword chamber, before you ever pull the sword from the stone. LttP says that in it's timeline, the Master Sword was never drawn during the Sealing War, so if it was the Navi buster that made him win, he must have decided he wasn't above killing children after all despite all previous evidence to the contrary.

I was really hoping that Hyrule Warriors would take place during the Sealing War without the help of Link or the Master Sword, but alas. One day, one day we'll get a war game of some sort where we can play out the Sealing War without Link's help. Maybe Zelda can even be the player's protagonist for a change.

Errr... sorry for mentioning timeline stuff. I know some of you have PTSD, so... retroactive trigger warning?

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Hey Fae, when you were saying that Ganon was being rude, I couldn't help but think of that song by Magic! How does it go?

Why he [Ganon] gotta be so rude?
Don't he know you're Hylian too?

... I regret nothing.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Now play it again Fae, and play it properly.

For those of you who don't know, the proper way to play it is to dick around for 10 hours after leaving the Kokiri Forest, exploring, collecting heart pieces, and doing sidequests.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I never gave much thought to that ending at the time (being ~10 and all that), but... Gannondorf isn't defeated yet, right? He's still a few months away from conquering Hyrule and reducing castle town to rubble and zombies. Why did the princess come out of hiding?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Dzhay posted:

I never gave much thought to that ending at the time (being ~10 and all that), but... Gannondorf isn't defeated yet, right? He's still a few months away from conquering Hyrule and reducing castle town to rubble and zombies. Why did the princess come out of hiding?
Do you mean in the world that child Link returns to?
I think the idea is that Link is sent back further he usually does when he reverts to a child (so when he meets Zelda at the end of the credits that's child Zelda's first meeting with Link) then using his knowledge of the future he somehow convinced Zelda and the king of what Ganondorf is up to and he is captured (since Link doesn't open the door of time this time I guess Ganondorf doesn't have the power to stop them at this point) and he is later executed which leads to Twilight Princess.
This does bring up an odd question though of whether Ganondorf has still done some bad poo poo by this point, or if he is captured and executed for crimes he hasn't committed yet.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Dzhay posted:

I don't think he's "defeated" in the way its normally used -- as a euphemism for being dead -- but he's locked up in the Home for Infinite Losers or wherever it was he went. I'm not sure why nobody outright killed him, I guess because the good guys show mercy or something? I'm not really sure.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Being able to tell the secrets of opening the door of time before any of the royal family had seemingly taught him would give credentials as having had them give him the info somehow. This gives him a believability far beyond "Deku Tree sent me, but he's dead and can't confirm this" and "Zelda had a dream"

Furthermore, Link's fought Ganondorf and knows how he fights, so he'd be far more able to help in leading a trap for the impending betrayal. They could set it up so as soon as he tries to make a move and off the king, he gets beat the gently caress down by Link and the best of the soldiers who would be prepped instead of it being a surprise attack where they weren't ready.

Twilight Princess has some cutscene that covers what happens once he's finally beaten in the child time line and it involves them loving stabbing him with a sword of light trying to kill him, but he's JUST TOO drat TOUGH, so they seal him up.

Zelda gives Link the OoT as a gift and then Link goes off to Termina, possibly to escape having to marry anybody

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Faerie Fortune posted:

I don't think he's "defeated" in the way its normally used -- as a euphemism for being dead -- but he's locked up in the Home for Infinite Losers or wherever it was he went. I'm not sure why nobody outright killed him, I guess because the good guys show mercy or something? I'm not really sure.

They can't kill him, he's got the triforce of power. Best they can do is lock him up in the sacred realm.

Thinking about it, that's probably where the dark world from LttP came from.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I know Fae is going to do another game first, but I can't wait until she plays my favorite Zelda game. Seriously, Majora's Mask is the best of the bunch for sheer feels induced.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BattleCattle posted:

Thinking about it, that's probably where the dark world from LttP came from.

I think that's canonically where the Dark World is supposed to come from. It used to be the Sacred Realm, but Ganon corrupted it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Iunnrais posted:

I know Fae is going to do another game first, but I can't wait until she plays my favorite Zelda game. Seriously, Majora's Mask is the best of the bunch for sheer feels induced.

We're never gonna see any of them.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Do you mean in the world that child Link returns to?
I think the idea is that Link is sent back further he usually does when he reverts to a child (so when he meets Zelda at the end of the credits that's child Zelda's first meeting with Link) then using his knowledge of the future he somehow convinced Zelda and the king of what Ganondorf is up to and he is captured (since Link doesn't open the door of time this time I guess Ganondorf doesn't have the power to stop them at this point) and he is later executed which leads to Twilight Princess.
This does bring up an odd question though of whether Ganondorf has still done some bad poo poo by this point, or if he is captured and executed for crimes he hasn't committed yet.
Nabooru did say that he killed people when you met her in the Spirit Temple as a child, and we know he murdered the two composers Flat and Sharpe.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Faylone posted:

It's not a theory, the Hyrule Historia flat out says the timeline LTTP happens is due to Link dying to Ganondorf in the final battle, forcing Zelda, the Seven Sages and the Knights to do it the hard way.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I miss when the only canon in the thread was Duck Head-canon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

FeyerbrandX posted:

I miss when the only canon in the thread was Duck Head-canon.

I now know what it feels like to have started a meme.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Now that I finially get to watch the final boss fight. I just want to say that not only are you TERRIBLE at video games, but that ChaosArgate is also a TERRIBLE helper.

Ed: Also, I would say shame on you for not even trying to beat Ganon the right way. But you're so bad I will allow the biggoron sword

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Speleothing posted:

Now that I finially get to watch the final boss fight. I just want to say that not only are you TERRIBLE at video games, but that ChaosArgate is also a TERRIBLE helper.

And the chat was giving TERRIBLE advice. It was a beautiful symphony of people that deserved each other. :v:

And to be clear I am also terrible, but at least I was purposefully lying to her.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Jeez, the Fae vs. Ganondorf fight dragged on for about as long as expected. It wasn't too bad a watch, since it showed a ton of stuff I never tried or even knew existed. Ganondorf's just a bastard of a fight, I ended up with a strategy of standing on the center platform, using Z-targeting, the ladder, and strict timing to dodge his ground pounds, and using sound for tennis timing cues, and finding that way easier than dealing with the shifting platforms and deadlock tennis matches. There was no way Fae was going to use that tactic, and she didn't disappoint. Thanks to the chat for details on an attack I never saw before!

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
I was hoping. Really, really hoping that you would kill him with Deku Nuts.

No, I really mean it. You can totally kill him with Deku Nuts for all of the fight until you get the Master Sword back.

According to the description, and I remember some of this from playing this when I was...god, 7 or 8 years old, you can also use the Longshot, other magical arrows (hello Ice Arrows! Almost being useful!) alongside a bunch of other things that do, well, anything!

I always thought it was a giveaway with Navi saying "I REALLY don't know what he's weak against!": they kind of wanted you to try everything and see which one stuck for you! Also surprised you didn't bash him with the Hammer, but you still won, and thats that. :D

It was a beautiful ride, though. Even with the accidental/intentional misdirection from the guests/chat. Thank you for the ride, Faerie Fortune. :v:

Now back to fishing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does anyone else fight Ganondorf from one of the four corner pillars? He never knocks those down so I just pick a corner and stick to it.

• Locked thread