Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Does anyone else fight Ganondorf from one of the four corner pillars? He never knocks those down so I just pick a corner and stick to it.

I just go corner to corner. You can hookshot both Ganondorf and the windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Oh yeah, there was one thing that didn't get shown off/told to Fae: what happens if you can't escape in time.

Not only do you die, you have to restart at the top. :suicide:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YggiDee posted:

Does anyone else fight Ganondorf from one of the four corner pillars? He never knocks those down so I just pick a corner and stick to it.

Yeah, and I totally was lazy with the hookshot instead of jumping after him.

I think my flashbacks about my own depth perception issues in viddy games aside, Fae didn't do that badly. I mean, from what little I recall of my very first time reaching the end of the game I know I dropped everything and went back to bring magic refill potions for a rematch :shepface:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

YggiDee posted:

Nah that's how I've always done it. It's really easy to cross the gap with the Hover Boots (or a straight jump) and in Chaos Mode it was basically 100% required because it was the only place he wouldn't fly off to somewhere unknowable.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
I think at some point I've mangaged to pull off empty bottle tennis from the center pillar and got it going easier than I could with a sword on it because you're already so close. If you do it like that, I think it takes less swats back and forth and can save time if you pull it all off, but it's high risk for high reward since any fuckup results generally in even more damage than usual.

So, let me get this straight...Deku Nuts are as powerful as ANYTHING ELSE you can hit him with, while being the fastest attack of any of them? How the gently caress did they get a reputation for being useless, again?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Faylone posted:

So, let me get this straight...Deku Nuts are as powerful as ANYTHING ELSE you can hit him with, while being the fastest attack of any of them? How the gently caress did they get a reputation for being useless, again?

Most of the things in Dodongo's Cavern as well as nearly all enemies in Jabu Jabu have some level of immunity to it, I believe, which is as far as most people are willing to experiment.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Now that's just plain wrong. They instakill bubbles, stun the jellyfish, and get the manta rays out of the ground. Deku Nuts are the best weapon to use in Jabu Jabu until you get the Boomerang.

And in Dodongo they might be useless against the actual Dodongos, but they work just fine on Keese.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Faylone posted:

Yeah, I don't know why people thought that when I started reading this thread. I mean, they're what Sheik uses to make a friendship ninja getaway! There are quite a number of other things they are really, REALLY useful for, some of which are bosses/minibosses/regular old mobs that are just difficult. These include, but are not limited to (in as much of a chronological order as I can remember):

Deku Baba (THIS is how you can force a Stick or Nut drop. Stun them while they're up, slash, insta-Deku Stick. Stun them while they're pulling an Audrey II and you'll get Nuts)
Deku Scrubs (not as hard as it sounds)
Skulltula
Skullwalltula
Gohma Hatchlings
QUEEN GOHMA (point blank, most people got this one on their own. You could also shoot her off of the ceiling while she's up there with Red-Eye up)
The Peahats and Peahatchlings on Hyrule Field. (You know, the giant whirling plants of death the the weak side on the bottom? Stun, spin attack, or just walk away)
Stalchildren
Cucco (WHY WOULD YOU TRY THIS)
those loving Keese (harder to pull off, but kinda satisfying if you get it right)
Tektites
Baby Dodongos
Lizalfos
Armos (you wouldn't be trying this anyway unless you were about to die, but its like, 1 more second to get away I believe)
Octoroks (GOOD loving LUCK trying to get close enough however to pull off a Flashbang to his 360noscope rock spitting skillz) (Hey look! An actual use for the Ice Arrows! Platform Making by freezing enemies!)
The Bubbles in Jabu Jabu's Belly
The weird electro worms in Jabu Jabu's Belly
(Maybe the Stingrays? You'd have to be really close to find out)
Bari (Yeah, you don't need the Boomerang for the jellyfish! Or the three tinier Biri that pop out of it!)
BARINADE (Okay, not exactly. You can kill all of the Bari/Biri that make up his shield with Deku Nuts, but you are required to use the Boomerang on the tubes at the top of the boss. The ones that shoot electro-lasers)

FLASH FORWARD SEVEN YEARS

And this is where the game takes the training wheels off, and expects you to kind of still be mesmerized by the Time Skip. Most of the following cannot be done with Z-Targeting enabled on the enemy. If something here seems "wrong" because you didn't the part of the hitbox where the Deku Nut is -actually- going to hit, making you waste one on their front, when you should have been fancy and try to out-dance them to hit them from the flank or directly behind.

This is the part where you start getting paranoid and tossing Deku Nuts around before things can spawn in fully or even be prepared to hit you (I apologize on behalf of whoever decided to put that tf2 voice clip at the end: you can listen to it without audio and it still demonstrates the point.)

Now then, for Adult Link, we have...

Moblins (pft, who needs a Hookshot, MGS that and try not to get speared while you toss a Deku Nut to stun him)
That Moblin With That Giant Hammer (same as before, but from the Forest Temple going back into Lost Woods. You normally wouldn't try and just kill the jerk for cash/getting to the fairy fountain)
Wolfos
Stalfos (see video above)
Wallmasters
Floormasters
Poe/THE POE SISTERS (incidentally, the game literally said "DO NOT Z TARGET THIS" but if you DO and they go invisible, a Deku Nut will make them corporeal)
Like-Likes (REVENGE)
Torch Slugs (putting out fire)
THE FIRE DANCERS
Ice Wolfos (same as normal, but it's the only thing I can remember using a Deku Nut on in the Ice Cavern.)
DARK LINK (see it in action in a Chaos Mode Episode 24!
DEAD HAND (Alternative: CUT HIS HANDS OFF. The guy will resurface and charge at you and won't go back down. Surprised no one mentioned you could just remove the arms, even if they held stuff back for the sheer effect there...)
The Floating-Skulls with the flames (Bubbles? Anti-Fairies?) (just douses the flame, you may need another to stun if you are so inclined, but they can be killed after losing their flames with a sword)
BONGO BONGO (again, I don't know why they didn't tell you you could have just thrown Deku-Nut at where his eye is supposed to be: right between the hands. Also, if you miss that chance, when he's charging, it will still work and has a quicker hit than arrows)
The Gerudo Thieves (This is where the game hates you for Z-Targeting if you aren't going completely on the offensive/evasive, trying to get them down ASAP before they can swing back at you or where you were a second ago)
Dinolfos (I don't blame you if you don't recognize the name. They're the adult version of Lizalfos, and they're only in the Gerudo Training Grounds)
Leevers (Sure, they're only 3 hits to kill, but its much more satisfying to leave them there and get on into the Spirit Temple)
Guay (good luck hitting these things, they're the annoying crows who peck at your head.

And uhm....I'm pretty sure this one is gonna end up Doctor Kill's thread. Yes those are functional at range.

And a final thought of THINGS YOU WISH YOU KNEW AS A KID! (tm): Re-Deads are BLIND. They can not see you at all, ever. The only way to trigger a Re-Dead is make any sort of sound nearby it. Sheathing/Unsheating your sword, using you shield, pulling out any item on a C-button, running directly past them within a certain reach, or just plain walking up to them and rubbing your face into theirs. However, there is a paradox to be had here: you can walk past them fine with the Iron Boots on, even though they SOUND really heavy to you the player, they are considered -walking speed- by the Re-Dead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Faust IX posted:

Poe/THE POE SISTERS (incidentally, the game literally said "DO NOT Z TARGET THIS" but if you DO and they go invisible, a Deku Nut will make them corporeal)

Oh! That reminds me, I found out about that like a month ago just dicking around in another OoT run I was doing and decided to show Fae and we turned that into a bonus video.

Deku nut bonus. And here's the version that doesn't skip the 13 minutes of getting from the start to the poe sister.

Also in the way of bonus footage, right after we beat Bongo Bongo, I decided to try a speedrun strat.

https://youtu.be/fSJmxsxW-xc

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Hehe, didn't want to post and say that the "You Suck, Time To DIE" charge isn't what you thought it was. That happens when he's critically low on health, so he's ignoring the tennis game and just straight up kamikaze charging you.

Also, you can evaporate Morpha's tentacles with Din's Fire.

What was that about Morpha being a difficult boss? :v:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I never said Morpha was difficult :eng101: in fact I distinctly remember saying "this isn't difficult, just boring" in the video!

Also those are some rad Deku Nut Facts and I'm so glad I was able to discover how fuckin' useful they are!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh! That reminds me, I found out about that like a month ago just dicking around in another OoT run I was doing and decided to show Fae and we turned that into a bonus video.

Deku nut bonus. And here's the version that doesn't skip the 13 minutes of getting from the start to the poe sister.

Also in the way of bonus footage, right after we beat Bongo Bongo, I decided to try a speedrun strat.

https://youtu.be/fSJmxsxW-xc

You can also blow up chus using deku-nuts which is useful as you don't need to time their release.

Also of course Ghoma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs5DxiKaGbU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nice new avatar, Fae.

The deku nuts vs the poe sisters is fairly interesting since it doesn't work with regular Poe's, just them.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
There are a few reasons Deku Nuts, despite being very powerful, are considered "useless." It's largely a design issue. They do no direct damage -- the most useful metric in determining an item's use in a combat game. They are also not used in any puzzle environments where the use of them is the most direct solution, which is the one reminder that the item is there and you are actively being taught how to use it.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Speaking of Chaos Mode, Artix completed Chaos Mode on Sunday and the videos are up in his thread! Go over there and watch the Hero of Wine save the world, while ChaosArgate and Curtiss look on in horror!

Nihilarian posted:

Nice new avatar, Fae.

I will miss Confused Babby Link but this is still very silly, so thank you, anonymous goon :3:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Speaking of Chaos Mode, Artix completed Chaos Mode on Sunday and the videos are up in his thread! Go over there and watch the Hero of Wine save the world, while ChaosArgate and Curtiss look on in horror!

And some other third person (Panzer? It has to be Panzer) drinking cider being British and being magnificent.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Congratulations on finally finishing the game Fae, hope you enjoyed it. It was fun watching someone come into this game fresh and still have so much fun playing it, really shows how well the game has aged.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Fae you should probably think about what that means if you drunk get confused for Panzer.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Great job, Fae. I probably learnt as much as you did following along with this LP - finally all the references and bizarre speedruns littered over the internet make sense! :)

Speaking of which - I think Rumda mentioned it in the stream chat, but this seems like a good time to link this Brawl in the Family song, since it's a lot of fun. I kind of wanted to post it at Christmas since it is Christmas-themed, but it had way too many spoilers for back then. Looking forward to the bonus content and your future projects.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Thank you to whoever bought me my new avatar! Also, between my new avatar and Fae's new one from yesterday, I had a good laugh.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Artix needs a new avatar too, methinks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If someone avatar-ized the burning Link gif I'd buy it, but otherwise you're going to have to work very hard to convince me to part with the fine and beautiful Lady Two. :colbert:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Artix posted:

If someone avatar-ized the burning Link gif I'd buy it, but otherwise you're going to have to work very hard to convince me to part with the fine and beautiful Lady Two. :colbert:

:v:

Edit: Sadly it has to be under 100kb, here you go:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Morroque posted:

There are a few reasons Deku Nuts, despite being very powerful, are considered "useless." It's largely a design issue. They do no direct damage -- the most useful metric in determining an item's use in a combat game. They are also not used in any puzzle environments where the use of them is the most direct solution, which is the one reminder that the item is there and you are actively being taught how to use it.

They do direct damage in the very last fight in the game!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ChaosArgate posted:

Thank you to whoever bought me my new avatar! Also, between my new avatar and Fae's new one from yesterday, I had a good laugh.

I like that fae chats like she talks.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
This entire LP has been a really awesome thing to experience! Thank you Fae so much for letting us watch you learn and grow with the power of friendship and running into things.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
The reason nobody bothers to experiment with deku nuts is honestly one of inventory. The game trains you that the thing you always need is the dungeon item, and then you need the slingshot as a kid and the longshot as an adult, and the Ocarina NEVER LEAVES C LEFT THAT IS ITS HOME. So there's never much of a reason to take that thing you got before the first dungeon and try it out on enemies when your sword and the dungeon item + shot item are doing just fine. The way the game is set up, there's not much call for experimentation - it's a game about puzzle solving, not inventory fuckery.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Yeah, the best thing they did in the 3DS version is giving you five item buttons (three being on the touch screen), with one dedicated just for the ocarina. On the other hand, I found the two touch screen buttons a bit awkward to use in actual combat, so I used them for masks and magic and generally stuff you don't use that often, while X and Y were hogged by the bow and the longshot almost constantly...

Also, thanks a ton for the LP! It was great to see this game anew. I'm looking forward to your next LP. :3:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

thanks for the great LP fae and friends, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

...It must have been asked already but, Majora's Mask?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

.TakaM posted:

...It must have been asked already but, Majora's Mask?

Repeatedly, mostly by me. It's happening eventually.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You should get the 3DS version, gyroscope is amazing.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

FeyerbrandX posted:

And some other third person (Panzer? It has to be Panzer) drinking cider being British and being magnificent.
Panzer's not British! Drunk and magnificent, sure, but not British

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The only thing more I could've asked for is Fae trying to see if Ganon(dorf) was a horse.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

You should get the 3DS version, gyroscope is amazing.

Sure, help me raise like $300 to get my 3DS capture enabled :P

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Great job, Fae!

Also,it's good that you're so nice, or Navi/ChaosArgate would've abandoned you!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just started watching this last week, and I'm really enjoying it. And whenever you call an enemy rude and kill it I imagine you as Kathleen Turner in Serial Mom and that makes me happy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gone for a few days and you go on and beat the game without me? :colbert:

Well, great job! I enjoyed this LP. :)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

And now we have the true tragedy of OOT. Imagine how much could have been saved if instead of a horse finding song, we got a pig finding song. Just play it next to Gdorf in front of the king and bam! Evil stopped.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

by Kelly Turnbull of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

by Kelly Turnbull of Manly Guys Doing Manly Things

:perfect:

• Locked thread