Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

Yeah, definitely looking forward to more of this.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever find the Navi button?

Wasn't that the left trigger, which we had to remind her of?

Though I'd seriously suggest using the right analog stick for the C buttons. Not only will it be easier to remember where they are, using the game's namesake will be a lot easier too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

ChaosArgate posted:

We did, after lots and lots of finagling with the controls! What happened was Project 64 changed her bindings after loading the rom, so we saved a profile to be loaded every time the game is booted to make absolutely sure we don't lose the Navi button again.

Well, if your computer is good-- You could try running OOT in Dolphin from Wiiware. It's stable, accurate-er, and no weird menu pauses.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:

SystemLogoff posted:

Well, if your computer is good-- You could try running OOT in Dolphin from Wiiware. It's stable, accurate-er, and no weird menu pauses.

I like how the idea of emulating something 2 generations newer would work better. The funny thing is, it probably would work better.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Man, it's been a while since I played this. I never did have a rumble pack, and the Wii store version meant no rumble either with the gamecube controller. So a particular optional side feature I missed out on myself, will be just as missed out here unless ChaosArgate has a list of notes on hand and tells the OP where certain things are.

As for Navi, I liked her more on my most recent playthrough. Because of it finally clicking "Oh, Right. Navi is my Z target. Navi is what lets me do sweet backflips."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Vifs posted:

I like how the idea of emulating something 2 generations newer would work better. The funny thing is, it probably would work better.

I just tried it and it's a little stuttery and I managed to freeze the game by trying to make Link roll. It also still runs at a constant 20 FPS, but I wasn't expecting an improvement there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I enjoy blind runs. Had a buddy come to my house and play this game after I had already beat it. Originally, he was playing the WCW games I had, but eventually, he had to give this a try. It was great fun!

I don't hate Navi. I do hate Tatl, though. gently caress Tatl. My child, who is watching with me, agrees.

Also, losing the Navi button reminds me of why I'm glad I still have an N64, N64 Controllers, and a PSX/N64 dongle. Makes playing emulators so much better. :downs:

Faerie Fortune posted:

On the other hand, most of you were about ten years old when you first played this game, not 28!

Interestingly, I was 28 when I first played the game. :):hf::)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

ChaosArgate posted:

I just tried it and it's a little stuttery and I managed to freeze the game by trying to make Link roll. It also still runs at a constant 20 FPS, but I wasn't expecting an improvement there.

It all depends on how beefy your computer is, and also if it's a clean wad file. There's a bunch of terrible ones floating out there.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I'm also really excited for a blind playthrough of a game I know. It's always interesting with a fresh perspective. And the way you handled the menuing was great.

Is it possible we'll see more Mario sometime? That was also entertaining and I didn't know a fresh perspective existed for Mario 64 (much more surprised about that than OoT).

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I stream Mario 64 all the time! I always put the stream archives on youtube so you'll definitely be seeing more of those as bonuses!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think it says something about how many people have played this game that I thought this LP was talking about playing the game blindfolded instead of being a first-time playthrough.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Dirk the Average posted:

I think it says something about how many people have played this game that I thought this LP was talking about playing the game blindfolded instead of being a first-time playthrough.

This is an actual thing, by the way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I still think playing with ones feet the most original gimmick.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
This is one of the games I've played the most number of times through. I played through all of the 3D Zelda games every year for about 5 years and that was after I'd beaten this one multiple times already. I even helped a friend through it because she'd never played it and she was 21. It's definitely not my favorite 3D Zelda, but I do still think it's a great game. Can't wait to see what you think of "Tree Dad's Goods".

Mordaedil posted:

What about blind, blindfolded and with your feet? Now that'd be impressive.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

chocolatekake posted:

What about blind, blindfolded and with your feet? Now that'd be impressive.

Twitch Plays Pokémon. :colbert:

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The 360 controller is great for most emulation but I find it a bit awkward for n64 games. You might have fewer issues with button mapping with a controller with 6 face buttons like this one http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Twelve-Button-Game-Controller-USB-GAMEPAD/dp/B00AEWTSWU/

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I never played OoT and never watched a LP of it, so I'm in!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Still amazed Vicas pulled that off, honestly.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I personally enjoy the bumbling and misfired controls: it adds to the authenticity of the blind playthrough when you finally realize something that you feel like should have been obvious.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

HardDisk posted:

I never played OoT and never watched a LP of it, so I'm in!

Wait, so there are two people in this thread who have never played OoT? Did you both fall into the same 16 year worm-hole back in '98, or were there separate occurrences?

Seriously, this is almost as amazing to me as finding out there were people who were never exposed to FF7's major plot twist in Elentor's thread.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Wait, so there are two people in this thread who have never played OoT? Did you both fall into the same 16 year worm-hole back in '98, or were there separate occurrences?

Seriously, this is almost as amazing to me as finding out there were people who were never exposed to FF7's major plot twist in Elentor's thread.

Yes, literally every person in the world owned an N64 and this game or knew someone who did.

And if you didn't play the game when it came out you might not think to check it out later, even with such a classic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

They could also have been too young at the time considering that the N64 is old enough to vote.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Or, in fact, some mixture of them all. It actually surprises me there hasn't been an OOT VLP considering how popular it is.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

Or, in fact, some mixture of them all. It actually surprises me there hasn't been an OOT VLP considering how popular it is.
There has been.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Do you count Master Quest? If so, there are two on the archive.

http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time/
http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-Master-Quest/

Edit: I vaguely remember reading that the Strawhat NO was planning an OOT3D LP if they ever got their hands on a 3DS capture device as well.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you count Master Quest? If so, there are two on the archive.

http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time/
http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-Master-Quest/

Edit: I vaguely remember reading that the Strawhat NO was planning an OOT3D LP if they ever got their hands on a 3DS capture device as well.
Is that first one Master Quest? It says they're playing the N64 version.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The one by DO IT TO IT is the original game.

It's also really good and I just started rewatching it, although for some reason the video for episode 2 on the Internet Archive is the same as episode 4. The blip links are long gone, so that's that unless someone has the original video.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 17, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

What I meant was there were two OOT LPs on the archive if you included the Freelance Astronauts LP of Master Quest.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

There's also a Master Quest LP by Midnight Sun, although that one's not in the archive. Was a pretty straightforward playthrough if I recall correctly.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I was 7 years old back then, and I really couldn't manage to convince my parents to buy one for me. Though I had a working SNES with Super Mario World, so all was right in the world.

Furthermore, I didn't know any English back then, so any game more complex than :goleft: was pretty much a waste on me.

FWIW, I tried to play Majora's Mask later on a emulator, but it really didn't click for me back then.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

HardDisk posted:

I was 7 years old back then, and I really couldn't manage to convince my parents to buy one for me. Though I had a working SNES with Super Mario World, so all was right in the world.

Furthermore, I didn't know any English back then, so any game more complex than :goleft: was pretty much a waste on me.

FWIW, I tried to play Majora's Mask later on a emulator, but it really didn't click for me back then.

If you haven't tried playing OOT without knowing English by trial and error you haven't lived. Pokemon was also much more fun when I didn't know any English.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
For sanity switch to z-target hold and not the default switch. It's soo much better (I think you need to restart the game though).

Also OOT is the best game ever made, hope you have fun playing it.

I also think the hate for Navi is way overblown.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 17, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fredrik1 posted:

I also think the hate for Navi is way overblown.

Me too, but I think that's partly because I don't really *hear* her talk as someone raised in English would. Most of the time, I saw her as a notification I could look up if I wanted to and ignore if I knew what I was doing.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I actually never owned a Nintendo 64 as a wee child, so I only played it years later. I've actually not played Super Mario 64 either beyond the first level. :ssh:

Regarding Navi... the hate for her is pretty much a dead horse meme by this point, so it's greatly exaggerated. Then again, I might be the only person in the world who found Fi in Skyward Sword the second best assistant in the franchise (after Midna because Midna is great).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Then again, I might be the only person in the world who found Fi in Skyward Sword the second best assistant in the franchise (after Midna because Midna is great).

:colbert:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nyagato posted:

If you haven't tried playing OOT without knowing English by trial and error you haven't lived. Pokemon was also much more fun when I didn't know any English.

I actually played Pokemon without knowing English, though I cheated by printing a guide consisting of 100+ pages IIRC. The best part was when the lovely inkjet was spitting too much ink and so we had to separate the pages to dry them out. I remember that I hosed up something when putting it back together and it took me the better part of a night or so.

Good times. :allears:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

A lot have people have asked me how/why I've never played OoT or any other N64 game and the answer wasn't something I wanted to go into in the thread since it was a little e/n but to put it simply, my parents were poor as poo poo when I was growing up and the only console I owned until I was about 15 was a SNES. I missed out on a lot of stuff and I've never really felt compelled to "catch up" because my life has been perfectly fine up until this point without playing these games, its gonna be just fine if I continue to not play them!

Seriously though, I'd love another blind commentator so HardDisk if you're up for it sometime, I'd love to have you!

As for an update, here's what's happening! My old hard drive has unfortunately failed in a big way. I needed a new one anyway so I bought one but for the moment the old files on my old drive are inaccessible. This isn't going to be much of a problem for this LP since I wasn't too far into the game but it might put a bit of a delay on things as I grab all my programs and such again!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
The LP Curse strikes after the first update, is that a new record?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey Fae, do you want me to blitz through the stuff we did in the first update so you can have a save file to start from?

Technical Analysis posted:

The LP Curse strikes after the first update, is that a new record?

Broken Loose's attempt at a companion LP of BN6: Gregar to Epee Em's LP of BN6: Falzar got screwed after the first update, so at the very least we've tied the record!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Adding my name to the list of people who never played Ocarina of Time. I mean, I didn't have a Nintendo 64, for a start off, or a Playstation* or Saturn, for that matter. Back in 1998, I think I was mostly occupied by PC games: Worms 2, Theme Hospital, Civilization II, and Maxis during their "crazy" period where they'd sell anything that they could put Sim in front of. I can't remember if I had a Game Boy Color yet, or if I was still on the good ol' grey brick, but I never played a Zelda game on those either (or any of the big Nintendo franchises. My first experience with Pokémon was Y. In 1998 I was more familiar with Mario's side jobs as a doctor and a baker).

It's actually pretty refreshing to see someone play this with completely new eyes, since most of the LPs and streams I've seen about it seem to be about breaking the game over their knee. Which is fine, but it's nice to have context for all of that. After all, an LP like this is far more likely to show off why people rave about this game so much. Hope all goes well, OP (he says, after her computer's already succumbed to the LP curse :doh:).
___
* not technically true: I did get a PSOne eventually. But I didn't have that in 1998.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
My introduction to OOT came with the GameCube remake, so I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. Most of the LPs I've seen about this game have the player pretty familiar, so I'm looking forward to your experiences.

• Locked thread