Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The only Nintendo thing I ever owned was a DS, and that's only ever seen use for running Pokémon games. When OoT came out, I'd been in full-time work for six years, and never really got the chance to do it.

I'm much more interested in a blind playthrough, because expert LPs are often quite exclusionary to people who don't know the game. So I'm loving this so far, and I'm hoping that The Curse doesn't stop it from happening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm so glad you guys like my dumb LP! :3: all you people who are going in blind along with me, you are all welcome to guest commentate, I'd love to hear a bunch more first time thoughts to go alongside my own! And to people who have signed up already, you are on my list, I just haven't been able to reply to all your messages due to being on mobile devices all week!

The Curse will not have me yet! I'm trying to recover my data as we speak, and even if I can't do that we weren't that far in the game anyway so I can blaze ahead in about five minutes to catch up if I need to!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Speaking of lack of knowledge and such, you mentioned that the only 3D Zelda you've played is a couple minutes of Wind Waker, but have you played any other games featuring Zelda characters/themes/callbacks, such as Nintendoland or Smash Bros (or that upcoming Mario Kart DLC?)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Nope! I played Brawl a lot when it came out and that was super fun but I haven't gotten around to playing the new one yet -- I spent my videogame budget for the month on Fantasy Life instead

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You realize you're practically signing yourself up for LPing the entire Zelda canon, right?

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Man, I have this strange relationship with OOT and Majora's Mask.

Every time I see it I think to my self "This looks like fun, I'm going to give it another try."

And every time I dust off my copy of the drat thing and slap it into my old console, I almost instantly am reminded that I still hate playing it as much as I did when I was 10.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, guys, I know it is a famous game and all but not getting all the huge shock people are making about people not having played it.
A lot of people just didn't grow up with console games in general, myself included. It doesn't always have to do with money issues but just different tastes and interests. My brother and I grew up with just a computer so our only experience was with PC games (actually Mac games in particular) and never had any desire towards consoles. So the canon of nostalgic games for us is mostly Myst style adventure games, other famous PC/Mac games and weird old Mac shareware games. Growing up like this we had a real "consoles are for casual babbies" kind of attitude
I discovered emulation in high school and played some of the famous console games but my interest was mostly just in RPGs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Persona/SMT. The first actual console I owned was a PS2, in 2006 when I was already in college. While these days I almost never play anything outside of the 3DS, my brother is still a complete :pcgaming: and wouldn't be caught dead touching a console.
The only Zelda game I have played for more than 30 seconds is Link to the Past, while it was a pretty decent game I don't really understand the overwhelming love that a lot of people have for the series.

Anyway there's a lot of people like me who have been lifetime PC gamers/late console adopters, just never had an N64 (wasn't the playstation more popular in this era?) or big shock,don't even play video games in general.

I like this blind LP so far because I get to see what all the fuss is about/if it lives up to its reputation, through the eyes of someone like me who has no experience with it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

asvodel posted:

I like this blind LP so far because I get to see what all the fuss is about/if it lives up to its reputation, through the eyes of someone like me who has no experience with it.

Pretty much my thoughts. I too have never played a Zelda game except for a few hours of Windwaker HD. My knowledge of Zelda games amounts to this:

- Link always wears a green hat
- Link "" gets the Master Sword
- Link "" saves Zelda
- Link "" kills Ganondorf
- There be dungeons

And, of course, whatever I know of the first couple hours of Windwaker.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Pretty much my thoughts. I too have never played a Zelda game except for a few hours of Windwaker HD. My knowledge of Zelda games amounts to this:

- Link always wears a green hat
- Link "" gets the Master Sword
- Link "" saves Zelda
- Link "" kills Ganondorf
- There be dungeons

And, of course, whatever I know of the first couple hours of Windwaker.

That's funny. Only the last of these five is true for every game. Although, finding a game where you don't have to save Zelda is a bit difficult. The CD-i games, perhaps. Ganondorf is probably in a minority of games by now, especially if you don't count his other form Ganon. But the Four Sword series are a prime example. None of them contain the Master Sword, you get the Four Sword instead. And you battle Vaati, Ganondorf isn't to be seen anywhere.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

At first I was a little skeptic, but reading the feedback in the thread and watching the first few minutes sold me on the idea, particularly your reaction to meeting Mido. Also "tree dad." I'll be watching this with great interest!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You realize you're practically signing yourself up for LPing the entire Zelda canon, right?

My best friend has already informed me that I'm playing Majora's Mask after this so yeah, I resigned myself to this fate a long time before this first video was even posted.

Fun behind the scenes fact about this LP actually, its been planned for at least four months and I somehow managed to keep it a complete secret from all but three people - my girlfriend, WanderingKree (who is my best friend) and ChaosArgate - for that entire time. Even the test footage was done with Mario 64, and we made it a point to mention that the actual LP was going to be of a different game without mentioning what the game actually was. That was ChaosArgate's decision because he wanted me to go into the game, from start to finish, completely blind. Therefore, the first time I ever even loaded OoT was the start of the first video!

Why did I go to all the effort to do that? Because I knew that doing this game with a blind run gimmick would be interesting to a lot of people if it just appeared one day out of nowhere, and I wanted each and every part of this thread to be full of surprises and new discoveries for everyone, not just me! :3:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's funny. Only the last of these five is true for every game. Although, finding a game where you don't have to save Zelda is a bit difficult. The CD-i games, perhaps. Ganondorf is probably in a minority of games by now, especially if you don't count his other form Ganon. But the Four Sword series are a prime example. None of them contain the Master Sword, you get the Four Sword instead. And you battle Vaati, Ganondorf isn't to be seen anywhere.

Ganondorf/Ganon is in Four Sword Adventures.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed watching these episodes, because they take me straight back to when I first played these games. I did almost the exact same things.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
It is kinda great to watch a blind run not done by some annoying rear end in a top hat clamoring for fame and youtube dollars. That's somewhere in the majority of blind runs since there are people who see it as some sort of hot topic to be playing Popular Game for the first time. And it is, but that's the only thing they care about. Then it stops being genuine, since you know they don't give half a poo poo about the game.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Alright, well, I'm in! This looks cool!

I enjoy threads (and LPs) like this because they remind me that not everyone had the same kind of gaming background as I had. I know it dates me, but I've been hooked on the consoles since Atari 2600. I actually played Ocarina of Time while I was in college.

By contrast, my relationship with PC gaming has been much more fraught... say... with stuff like having a relatively crappy computer most of the time, and of using the computer for projects instead, and I... admittedly tend to get a little... arghlebarghle about fiddling with system settings or when the game just says I don't have the requirements.

If I buy a console, I know I meet the requirements for the games on that console. That simplicity appeals to me.

Gaming back-stories aside;

The first recorded session was very engaging and fun, with good commentator rapport between you two... although I admit I was probably more amused than I should have been by your confusion (and forgetfulness,) regarding the talking tree.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Edit: Oh yeah, no black bar zone. Neeeevermind.

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 18, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wait Ganon and Ganondorf are different characters? :confused:

Wow, I knew a lot less than I thought.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Wait Ganon and Ganondorf are different characters? :confused:

Wow, I knew a lot less than I thought.

I hope you had time to see it.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 18, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

According to Wikipedia, they're all the same entity.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Let's not talk about stuff like this guys.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 18, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The worst part of the entire discussion is that to call something out as a spoiler in violation of the OP's policy is itself a spoiler, and the OP can't call them out herself. Please think for the tiniest fraction of a second before discussing spoilers, and then don't.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nidoking posted:

The worst part of the entire discussion is that to call something out as a spoiler in violation of the OP's policy is itself a spoiler, and the OP can't call them out herself. Please think for the tiniest fraction of a second before discussing spoilers, and then don't.

Goons thinking before they post. Truly this thread has activated hard mode.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Nidoking posted:

Please please please this! ChaosArgate is keeping an eye on the thread for spoilers but I'd prefer he didn't have to! I've already had people ask me if I know about [x] aspect of the game because they have some advice for me when I get to that part and while I appreciate it, my answer is and always will be do not tell me anything about this game at all, including gameplay elements. If you find yourself thinking "is this a spoiler" then there's a 99% likelihood that you shouldn't post what you're thinking about posting.

I know its hard with such an old and influential game but this is a 100% blind run and the less I know going in, the more excited and surprised I'll be! Please don't ruin it for me, I know you guys can do it. I believe in you!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The good news is that the update is currently rendering and will be uploaded tonight to be posted early tomorrow morning!

The bad news is that I hope you all find failure entertaining!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Faerie Fortune posted:

The good news is that the update is currently rendering and will be uploaded tonight to be posted early tomorrow morning!

The bad news is that I hope you all find failure entertaining!

For what it's worth, quite a bit was due to controller finagling in our struggle to find a layout that works properly because the N64 controller is garbage and trying to make an Xbox 360 controller work with it isn't very fun.

I also decided to look up fan made mods of an N64 controller and they make my head hurt.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh we do. Looking forward to it! :neckbeard:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Its an update! I apologise for everything.

Episode 2 - Inside Treedad

Today's failure reel music is Slide Show Part 2 From Final Fantasy VIII!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've seen slingshots called catapults before, mostly in The Beano. Heck, I knew them as catapults long before I heard anyone call one of them a slingshot.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Same here actually, its a very English thing to call it a catapult (the big ones are trebuchets dammit) but ChaosArgate did not know that and was very very confused. It led to an amusing challenge for the thread though!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

Same here actually, its a very English thing to call it a catapult (the big ones are trebuchets dammit) but ChaosArgate did not know that and was very very confused. It led to an amusing challenge for the thread though!

Trebuchets are just a different kind of catapult. They're not separate ideas. You guys are the only weirdos who call slingshots a catapult. :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I just finished my take home midterm, and was really bored and kinda delirious from my all-nighter, so I made Link using a Catapult, using Navi as Ammo, in MS Paint in 5 minutes.

Just for fun and because the mental image kinda made me giggle. (Also that is the Ocarina of Time font, because I am a massive nerd and installed it onto my computer.)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 27, 2015

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There is something pleasing about watching you figure out the game's mechanics, but it's also real nice you have someone to point you in the right direction so there's no tedious lengths of trying to figure out an enemy, item or location.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
There's no need to be ashamed about being new at both a game and an awkward controller scheme. You'll get better with practice. Hopefully. Er... besides, if you hadn't have had a bit of difficulty we wouldn't have had time to appreciate the boss! It only now just struck me how intimidating Gohma could be. This huge insectoid creature with limbs and an eye that look just wrong dropping in front of a young boy as it sloooowly makes it's ways towards him in the dark, misty room before rearing up on it's hind legs to let loose an unearthly scream, eye blazing red... if Link wasn't so known for his courage he probably would've wished he had his brown tunic before that fight was through.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The weird thing was, I wasn't so bothered by the big one, it just startled me when I noticed it.

The little ones though, they freak me the hell out because they remind me of some kind of crabs which I'm a little scared of. When I was editing I heard myself saying "I'd be very happy if I never saw these things again" and wanted to just go back in time and give past me a knowing sigh and a solemn nod. I'm surprised ChaosArgate didn't crack up at that point.

davidspackage posted:

There is something pleasing about watching you figure out the game's mechanics, but it's also real nice you have someone to point you in the right direction so there's no tedious lengths of trying to figure out an enemy, item or location.

Seriously I am so thankful for my copilot. If it were just me on my own I'd probably still be trying to figure out where the hell the drat sword is. Which would have been funny for about ten minutes and then it would've worn thin on all of us.

Senerio posted:

I just finished my take home midterm, and was really bored and kinda delirious from my all-nighter, so I made Link using a Catapult, using Navi as Ammo, in MS Paint in 5 minutes.

Just for fun and because the mental image kinda made me giggle. (Also that is the Ocarina of Time font, because I am a massive nerd and installed it onto my computer.)

:dance: I'm so happy someone rose up to my dumb challenge and this is a great thing to bless the thread with!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Faerie Fortune posted:

:dance: I'm so happy someone rose up to my dumb challenge and this is a great thing to bless the thread with!

Bored and tired is a dangerous combination.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

First you said something about Link using a catapult, then you changed your mind and said Navi using a catapult. I went for the latter and got to drawing one the moment I finished the video.

But I don't know how to draw, and I don't have a paper, and I'm using the mouse, and trying to draw with the hand I don't write with. And I refused to use the line or shape tools. It came out flawless, I think.
(edit: Also, this is a "gaming mouse" and it didn't cross my mind to turn down the sensitivity. God, am I ever bad at drawing.)

Holy poo poo. 30 hours in MSPaint.

More like 30 minutes

double edit: I think this officially means I'm doing a blind Zelda drawing for a blind Zelda LP.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 20, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm surprised ChaosArgate didn't crack up at that point.

Truthfully, I really wanted to. I didn't wanna accidentally spoil their return by laughing at that though so I kept quiet!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nnnngh... those gold skulltulas... just shoot them! How can you stand the skritching sound!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Come on Chaos, I expect you to be more up on your game mechanics. :colbert: Jump Attacks don't do "a little" more damage, it's a flat double damage. And Deku Sticks are double the Kokiri Sword, making jump attacks with a Deku Stick the best way to murder pretty much anything Link has to deal with in the first couple dungeons (assuming you can keep your stick count up, because they will break on basically anything).

Gaz-L posted:

Nnnngh... those gold skulltulas... just shoot them! How can you stand the skritching sound!

Also this, jesus. They were right there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Please kill Gold Skulltulas.

Anyway that boss fight was really remarkable because it showed me that they programmed in an entire alternate mechanic I never knew existed. Apparently Deku Nuts allow you to stun Gohma even when she's not vulnerable, but the tradeoff is that she's stunned for a much shorter time so it takes a lot longer to kill her.

At least that's what it seemed like was happening.

• Locked thread