Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

I ordered one of these things because my circle pad on my 3DS XL started exhibiting strange behaviors when I played Smash Brothers. It had always been very stiff and did not take kindly to having to be used in a very precise manner, it started to stick, then the rubber started to loosen and began to stick even more, and then it loosened even more and now it's not sticking anymore but now I fear it's gonna break off soon.

So I decided to snag a refurbished 2DS from the Nintendo Store, and I gotta say this thing really owns if you never used the 3D. It's a hell of a lot more comfortable to hold, like way more comfortable, which was odd to me because it doesn't LOOK comfortable to hold, but it is. I like the L and R buttons a lot. And the circlepad is made from plastic instead of rubber, which is actually a good thing for playing Smash. The screens are the same size as the 3DS only they're a lot brighter, and you dont' really get that 'everything is stretched' effect when playing games like you do with the XL, everything's very sharp.

Just letting imps know that this thing owns and you should pick one up, especially if you've been having issues with your old system. Also makes a great backup if you ever need one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if anything happens to my 3dsxl I'm gonna grab one of these, or if the new 3ds has a 2ds form

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
I have one, an d I like it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I know a bunch of people who picked one of them up when they were cheap and love them. They're cool systems and if you don't like 3d it's the best handheld out there atm.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I wish the screen sizes were xl instead of normal 3ds size

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

doesnt look like itd fit in my pockets OP

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dexters Secret posted:

I gotta say this thing really owns if you never used the 3D.

Liquid Penguins posted:

I know a bunch of people who picked one of them up when they were cheap and love them. They're cool systems and if you don't like 3d it's the best handheld out there atm.

People who don't like or use the 3D make me sick.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Lemming posted:

i really like how it looks but it gives me headaches!! :(

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I didn't know it didn't have the XL screens. They should fix that.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Swelter Discharge posted:

doesnt look like itd fit in my pockets OP

it will not, but then the 3DS XL didn't fit in my pocket either, or at least not comfortably

the 3ds is the best solution for that but then you gotta deal with the screens being really oddly dim, thankfully the new 3ds will not have this issue

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

How good was the refurb? I hear they're like new basically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my girlfriend has one and ive used it some and then i was so busy going 'woah this is kind of cool' that we didnt go out to dinner or have sex or anything

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Widestancer posted:

I didn't know it didn't have the XL screens. They should fix that.

honestly I'm not sure i like the XL screens, the main perk for me was that they weren't so dim. on some games the stretched textures are really noticeable

Widestancer posted:

How good was the refurb? I hear they're like new basically.

nintendo refurbs are honestly better than new because they've been tested. come in a box like a new product and everything, AND they even have the same 1 year warranty

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dexters Secret posted:

i really like how it looks but it gives me headaches!! :(

See, you even make yourself sick.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I don't use the 3d because my brain freaks the gently caress out when I do and I get headaches and my eyes just pour tears out until there are no more and they dry out

3d movies have the same effect

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I don't use the 3d because my brain freaks the gently caress out when I do and I get headaches and my eyes just pour tears out until there are no more and they dry out

thankfully 3d movies are easier on my eyes so i can watch those, condolences.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Goondolences on your eye AIDS.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Silver Striker posted:

Goondolences on your eye AIDS.

It's hard, sometimes. :(

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like how solid it feels, which I never really got with clam shell game things.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lemming posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i require 3d

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The 2ds seems like it is pretty cool, but I actually enjoy the 3d when games use it well.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
its designed for literal children op

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

they should make one that looks like an original Game Boy, I would buy that. I am beginning to be old and I always appreciate being pandered to

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

they should make one that looks like an original Game Boy, I would buy that. I am beginning to be old and I always appreciate being pandered to

they made transparent ones

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

they made transparent ones

I want a hideous grey brick with maroon buttons OBVIOUSLY GODDD

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Bought one of these things for Pokemon Y/X, haven't really played it that much. Maybe I'll pickup Super Smash Bros. and see if that justifies my purchase.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
if you can't find something to play on your 3ds then what the hell

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
why would you buy a 3ds that doesn't fold up.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I play most of my 3DS while hanging out at home, so a 2DS actually would be kind of cool. I like the 3D though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
i don't like the 3d; it makes me sick and it's kind of annoying anyway. but i like the bigger screen of the ll and also not being able to fold it up is stupid

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

i don't like the 3d; it makes me sick and it's kind of annoying anyway. but i like the bigger screen of the ll and also not being able to fold it up is stupid

Not being able to fold it up is such a nothing thing to get obsessed over.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Not being able to fold it up is such a nothing thing to get obsessed over.

although I do wish it came with a pouch or something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i cant imagine using my 3ds anywhere but at home. maybe if i still took the bus to university a lot but im an adult now with a car :smug:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
the 2ds looks like one of those big plastic tiger electronic handhelds and you should be embarrassed if you opted for one over just not using the 3d on an actual non-offensive unit such as the xl

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dexters Secret posted:

although I do wish it came with a pouch or something.

My one came with a pouch...

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i would buy one of these to replace my hosed up xl but australia's gettin New 3DS XL in november so i'll just wait and get one of those

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I'd rather get one of the new 3ds op. hopefully it can play yumi's odd odyssey at non-bullshit fps

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cyra posted:

the 2ds looks like one of those big plastic tiger electronic handhelds and you should be embarrassed if you opted for one over just not using the 3d on an actual non-offensive unit such as the xl
i only buy video game consoles that look cool and adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I like how solid it feels, which I never really got with clam shell game things.

my 3ds is creaky and its like 2 weeks old -_-

• Locked thread