Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

JamieTheD posted:

It's a shame that the EoB series didn't really have that much music, as what there was was pretty atmospheric. Also, I loved Lands of Lore for two particular reasons... Firstly, because it was a better EoB 3 than EoB 3 was, and secondly...

:woop: "The scones are firmly attached!"
:rant: "They're sconces, you idiot!"

Yeah.
EoB2 was my first RPG on computer and also introduced me to D&D. When EoB3 was released I were so eager to play, only to find myself litterally both aghast and disconcerted by the cemetary and blocked until I got my hands on the guide, which by the way showed me that the HORRIBLE mausoleum was a totally optional area. EoB3 was a wreck.
Probably Westwood diverted most of the ideas that were to go into their EoB, pouring them into Lands of Lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Guy Fawkes posted:

Probably Westwood diverted most of the ideas that were to go into their EoB, pouring them into Lands of Lore.

This is pretty much what happened. Westwood were slated to do a third Eye of the Beholder game, but SSI wouldn't let them make the game they wanted to make ("creative differences" and so on) and pulled the license, developing it in-house instead. It's even possible Westwood had parts of their vision of EotB3 already implemented by the time they switched gears and made Lands of Lore.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I never played eye of the beholder, but I remember being awed at Lands of Lore. It was a pretty great game and didn't Patrick Steward provide the kinds voice. That's an automatic win for any game. :shrug:
To bad I never got beyond the stupid Draconian (?) cave. It has these horrible slugs that would steal your equipment.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Now I really want to marathon EOB and LoL. Especially since I've never played the latter for some reason.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Darth TNT posted:

To bad I never got beyond the stupid Draconian (?) cave. It has these horrible slugs that would steal your equipment.

There's worse, later on there's a dungeon full of enemies with ranged attacks, whose attacks have a roughly 50% chance or something per hit to just outright DESTROY a piece of gear. Meaning you have to fight them pretty much naked and at range, trying to dodge their projectiles and blast them with magic. About your only hope is to get in a lucky hit with a freeze spell that locks them in place so you can wail on them.

It gets even sillier because the ENTIRE DUNGEON is out of left field, and has nothing to do with the plot itself. It's literally just in the main villain's basement that two weird groups of monsters are fighting each other, two groups that to my knowledge never show up again in the entire series, and you have to side with one to get the key to get out.

Also the only Lands of Lore game I never really managed to play was the second one, because it's such shoddily jammed-together shovelware. The third one I just never got around to beating, played most of the way through it multiple times, but every time I just sort of petered out ahead of the last couple of rift worlds. Not sure why.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Pierzak posted:

Now I really want to marathon EOB and LoL. Especially since I've never played the latter for some reason.

EoB 1 e 2 are quite good, especially the latter, the thir, as I've already written is quite a bore.
Land sof Lore was good, but the second one had the problem it came out during the craze of using real actors inserted in digitalized scenarios, and suffered because of this.
LoL3 is the only one I've not played, but there are a few playthrough on Youtube and frankly the devastating meddling of EA was too sad to behold, particularly in the last world.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The bit I remember most from LoL was this weird giant worm monster in a mine which would make you drop all your weapons, I don't remember how you were supposed to kill it but I used to just kite it around while throwing all the random poo poo out of my inventory (like old pairs of shoes and shields) at it until it fell apart.

Also those awesome swamp frog / lizard NPCs.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

There's worse, later on there's a dungeon full of enemies with ranged attacks, whose attacks have a roughly 50% chance or something per hit to just outright DESTROY a piece of gear. Meaning you have to fight them pretty much naked and at range, trying to dodge their projectiles and blast them with magic. About your only hope is to get in a lucky hit with a freeze spell that locks them in place so you can wail on them.

It gets even sillier because the ENTIRE DUNGEON is out of left field, and has nothing to do with the plot itself. It's literally just in the main villain's basement that two weird groups of monsters are fighting each other, two groups that to my knowledge never show up again in the entire series, and you have to side with one to get the key to get out.

Also the only Lands of Lore game I never really managed to play was the second one, because it's such shoddily jammed-together shovelware. The third one I just never got around to beating, played most of the way through it multiple times, but every time I just sort of petered out ahead of the last couple of rift worlds. Not sure why.

:negative: That sounds horrible. I also didn't like that you recruited a new party member in the cave with the slugs who comes completely unarmed.
Wasn't the third game about Scotia's son being a monster?

Westwood should've just stuck to making Kyrandia. :shrug:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

Wasn't the third game about Scotia's son being a monster?

That's the second one. The third game is something about someone who needs to get his soul back, I think, I never really played it. The first Lands of Lore is the best one, in my opinion, anyway - I think it's because the pre-rendered, high-res-for-its-time look that was popular in the second half of the 90s never really clicked for me, and still doesn't today. I am completely in love with the classic, refined but low-resolution look of LoL 1, EotB, the Kyrandia games etc.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

Westwood should've just stuck to making Kyrandia. :shrug:

In that case we would've never known the C&C saga. THAT would have been a real tragedy.

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012
Let's not forget the music either, Frank Klepacki owns.

PurpleXVI posted:

If you attack the ones you allied with, their home disappears and you find out it was all fake. You get the key for killing them and all the other monsters disappear, you don't get the free level up though. The monsters aren't too bad if you split them up and keep your distance, arbalests work really well on them, and the dungeon gives you plenty of space to move around unhindered. But yeah, they're stupidly powerful and if you try to fight them head on you'll probably get wasted.

LoL2 had a few cool ideas. The game was quite immersive, there were a ton of environmental bits you could interact with/destroy, often in a spectacular, cinematic fashion. I especially liked how almost every piece of equipment you found lying around was unique and had neato perks you had to discover on your own; it made exploration very rewarding. And there were entire zones hidden behind secret walls that most players would never even see (the only other action-RPG I've played that has done something similar to this is Dark Souls). Although the game itself has aged quite terribly, I'm afraid.

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 26, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Guy Fawkes posted:

In that case we would've never known the C&C saga. THAT would have been a real tragedy.

Who cares about C&C, I was a Warcraft guy. :colbert:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Bonfiesta posted:

Let's not forget the music either, Frank Klepacki owns.
If you attack the ones you allied with, their home disappears and you find out it was all fake. You get the key for killing them and all the other monsters disappear, you don't get the free level up though. The monsters aren't too bad if you split them up and keep your distance, arbalests work really well on them, and the dungeon gives you plenty of space to move around unhindered. But yeah, they're stupidly powerful and if you try to fight them head on you'll probably get wasted.

LoL2 had a few cool ideas. The game was quite immersive, there were a ton of environmental bits you could interact with/destroy, often in a spectacular, cinematic fashion. I especially liked how almost every piece of equipment you found lying around was unique and had neato perks you had to discover on your own; it made exploration very rewarding. And there were entire zones hidden behind secret walls that most players would never even see (the only other action-RPG I've played that has done something similar to this is Dark Souls). Although the game itself has aged quite terribly, I'm afraid.

You mean the FIVE free level-ups in either mage or melee stuff, and considering how unforgiving the game usually is, I wouldn't want to go up against the endgame five mage levels short, because being able to throw fireballs and freeze spells is pretty much a necessity for most of it. Can't actually recall how cruel the end is, though, but if it's anything like the rest, yeah, gently caress that.

I tried playing LoL2 a while back and... no kidding about the bad aging, I really had some issues with the interface, and while there's a lot to be said for a lack of handholding in games, I really just found LoL2 to be labyrinthine. I never really had any idea where I was going or why, outside of the very earliest part of the game, and just sort of stumbled around murdering wildlife and looking at stuff. It feels like the sort of game I'd enjoy if, say, someone did a long, informative, subtitled LP of it, rather than if I had to play it myself.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

Who cares about C&C, I was a Warcraft guy. :colbert:

Before making such statements, consider that the first Warcraft was in fact a clone fo Dune 2 - Battle for Arrakis, which was a Westwood game and the prototype of the C&C saga.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah without Westwood there would be no RTS games at all. I'm not all that into RTS games myself because I suck at them but I do appreciate and I love the early C&C games and Dune 2000.

I'm tossing up whether or not to attempt a Lands of Lore lp or not. I think it'd be a good idea and nobody seems to have done one yet either.
Also Ak'Shel 4 lyfe.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 13: Wherein Candy is Stolen From a Baby

Music: Enchanted Tramway (Tindeck)

Last time, we discovered the horrifying truth about the Hand, and finally made some progress towards making it out of the enchanted forest. To wit, we found this sky tram, which looks like it can take us up to the Wheels of Fate. All aboard!

Hey! I wanted to ride the tram.

drat union squirrels.

Please. I have to get up to the top.

Sorry. I have to take my break.

Couldn't you make an exception?

Is there something I could offer you?

Sure. Stop trying to corrupt me. I'd appreciate THAT!

I don't know, I think he might be open to a bribe or two. He said he was in the business for some lunch, right? Let's try giving him some nuts. I mean, he is a squirrel, right?

I hate these!

The squirrel rejects the acorn... but eats it anyway. How about a nice walnut?

And yet, he eats this one too. Pinecone..?

See ya!

... but how can I use the tram?

So... the squirrel took off with our nut collection, and didn't even bother telling us how to operate the tram. Looks like we're on our own again. For the record, you can give the squirrel any of the three nuts in any order - he will always complain about the first two, then leave when you give him the third.

Getting the tram up and running again is pretty simple. All we need is some rotational force to drive that treadmill. Like, say, the rolling stone we've got sitting around in our inventory.

I sure hope this works.

It does! If we'd tried to put the stone in the treadmill while the squirrel was still here, he would've stopped us. Now, with the tram operational, we can ascend the mountain.

What's this? Noises from up ahead. Sounds like... Marko?

You'll pay for this!

Yup. Marko has also wised up, and is fighting the Hand. Suspended on a duck, several hundred feet up in the air.

After a fierce bout, Marko is tossed off the tram, hurtling to his doom.

I hope he's okay.

Well, he is a mystic. Sort of. He'll be fine. What's worse, though...

... the tram has stopped.

What has that Hand done to the tram?

Don't be ridiculous, Zanthia, who knows how far there is to go before we make it to solid ground again. What are you going to climb, anyway? The cable?

... huh. Whelp. Okay then.

Wish I'd brought my skis. I lost everything climbing that cable.

Well, we made it somehow, although we lost our inventory again. At least we've still got the Alchemist's Magnet.

Music: Snowy Mountainside (Tindeck)

Let's see what we've got here. This is the crappiest ski resort ever. Aside from the tram station, the only other building is what looks like a hunter's lodge. The woman with the baby looks entirely uninterested in us. Can't blame her. Anyway, we don't have time to stand around here. We've got more climbing to do. Leaving to the south takes us to a new location.

All right, looks like the right way to go. However...

Boy, this cliff is too slippery to climb without special mountaineering gear.

... we need some gear to get up that wall. Maybe we can borrow some from the lodge. Let's backtrack a bit and check out what's inside.

Music: Hunters (Tindeck)

That's quite some lodge. Look at those hunting trophies! Seems they've got some equipment to spare, too.

Could I borrow that rope?

What's that, punk?

Surely you wouldn't refuse a traveller aid?

We'll need that rope ourselves to tie up the Abominable Snowman. He's a mighty dangerous critter I hear tell.

Come on now, everyone knows yetis are just a myth.

Please. This is an emergency!

As soon as we get up our courage a mite more, we'll go out and get the vicious varmint...

Ugh. You're useless. How about the other guy, on the left there?

Can I buy some climbing equipment from you?

All right these guys are dicks.

I need to climb up to the Wheels of Fate.

Sorry. We're going hunting ourselves soon.

Tough. We're after the Abominable Snowman ourselves.

Okay, so the hunters are entirely uncooperative. They're unwilling to share their gear because they're about to go on an expedition to hunt down a yeti. However, they seem unwilling to set out just yet - by the sound of it, they're scared of the beast. Perhaps we can use that to our advantage.

First, let's steal everything that isn't nailed down.

Clicking the trophy in the top left corner gives us... this weird thing. Placing it in our inventory reveals it to be a clump of musk. Presumably, that's supposed to be a musk ox (although the horns look nothing like musk ox horns).

Over here are some... cannonballs. I don't see a cannon, though. Let's take one anyway, just to spite these jerks.

This thing's heavier than that anchor.

Let's go outside and talk to the mother and child.

What a beautiful child you have.

:sigh: Why is everyone at this ski resort such a butthole?

Mmmph!

I don't even know what this is supposed to be. Some kind of grunt.

Go away!

This person has very few lines, and they're all along these lines. She won't talk to us. We can click the kid instead, but...

... it's no more productive. There are a few items here though. See that cleaning equipment leaning against the shack on the left?

We'll just snap those up. Now, it's time to have a look at our book of potions. There might be something in here that will solve our present problem.

Bingo. An Abominable Snowman potion is just what we need to scare those hunters out of their lodge so we can steal their hunting gear. There's snow all over the place, we found some musk earlier, and the feather duster should do for the next ingredient. All we need is some sugar.

You know, that kid's got a lollipop...

Yes, we're literally going to steal candy from a baby. We need to distract his mom, though.

Lead cannonball, gold cannonball. A little appeal to greed may get that task done.

Giving her the gold cannonball makes her turn around for no obvious reason. She doesn't even comment on it, she just takes it and drops it on the ground.

But, it does let us steal the lollipop. Zanthia can be such a bitch.

Whoever said taking candy from a baby was easy?

All we need now is a flask.

There's one right here that we missed earlier. It's kind of hard to see sitting all by itself on that shelf there.

Snow, musk, feather duster and lollipop all go in the cauldron. The result is...

One Abominable Snowman potion. Let's drink it!

Fine. Go outside, then drink it.

Whoa nelly. Okay, so we're a yeti now. Time to scare some punks.

... they're not impressed. drat it. What did we do wrong? Maybe if we roar a little more.

That sure did it! Man, those guys sure get spooked easily. Now, let's just...

Oh no. We've been yetinapped! What will happen to our quest now? Find out next time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ah, yes, the old adventure game standby, where your actions don't specifically accomplish anything, they merely trigger a completely arbitrary change in the world by having been attempted, in this instance the REAL Abominable Snowman showing up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Ah, yes, the old adventure game standby, where your actions don't specifically accomplish anything, they merely trigger a completely arbitrary change in the world by having been attempted, in this instance the REAL Abominable Snowman showing up.

Oh come on, that was funny.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

By the way, I decided to have a stab at the first Lands of Lore again after it was brought up, and besides Patrick Stewart voicing the king, I just realized the voice of Timothy is the same actor as Malcolm in the first Kyrandia game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

By the way, I decided to have a stab at the first Lands of Lore again after it was brought up, and besides Patrick Stewart voicing the king, I just realized the voice of Timothy is the same actor as Malcolm in the first Kyrandia game.

Any chance you could be convinced to LP some of the LoL games after you finish off the Kyrandia games?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I believe the guy who plays Victor is also in LoK too, although it may just be the next game.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Any chance you could be convinced to LP some of the LoL games after you finish off the Kyrandia games?

Well, that's quite some time in the future, and I don't remember nearly as much stuff about Lands of Lore. It must've been well over a decade since I even played the first game last time, and I didn't play Lands of Lore 3 at all. I'd say chances at present are pretty slim.

Zeniel posted:

I believe the guy who plays Victor is also in LoK too, although it may just be the next game.

IMDB tells me he's also the voice of Treeface from the first game. You know, that weirdo that appeared in our wall at the beginning of the game.

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Something that's quite useful to know (and I wasn't aware of on my first playthrough), EXP gained is determined by the amount of damage you deal with melee/ranged/magic attacks respectively, and you get a set amount of bonus EXP for killing blows, depending on the enemy. You can grind magic up rather quickly if you can take out a large group with a single spell (especially if they're weak against the element and take extra damage).

PurpleXVI posted:

I tried playing LoL2 a while back and... no kidding about the bad aging, I really had some issues with the interface, and while there's a lot to be said for a lack of handholding in games, I really just found LoL2 to be labyrinthine. I never really had any idea where I was going or why, outside of the very earliest part of the game, and just sort of stumbled around murdering wildlife and looking at stuff. It feels like the sort of game I'd enjoy if, say, someone did a long, informative, subtitled LP of it, rather than if I had to play it myself.
Well, if you thought the jungle in disc 2 was labyrinthine, you haven't seen anything yet. Act 3 gives you no early hints as to what you're supposed to accomplish, other than "obtain silverleaf from cemetery," and believe me, that's a much more convoluted process than you'd think. Most of the act takes place in a massive underground ruin (roughly the size of both jungles in the game combined) and on top of that you need several items from the ruins to solve puzzles in the cemetery. Truth be told I have a soft spot for the game.

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 2, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think she'd magic up a fur coat or something for a ski resort.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Glazius posted:

You'd think she'd magic up a fur coat or something for a ski resort.

But she did!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 14: Wherein Love is Found

When we last saw Zanthia, she had failed in her attempt to intimidate the yeti hunters, and in the process gotten herself kidnapped by the real abominable snowman. What terrible, foul plan does the furry beast have in store?

... huh.

Hands off, creep. Well, this is a right pickle. Best get changed out of this yeti costume before this guy gets any crazy ideas.

Hmm. This doesn't look too good.

The yeti speaks a strange, garbled language of his own, which sounds meaningless, but... okay, in order to accurately explain this, we're going to have to listen to some audio clips. Here's the same line as above, as spoken in-game:

Yeti Dialogue 1-A

It should be fairly instantly recognizable what's going on here; that's a voice clip played in reverse. If we reverse that, we get...

Yeti Dialogue 1-B

You've changed your clothes!

The captions are not simply backwards, however, probably because it would be too easy to figure out what the yeti is saying. I'm not sure if there's a pattern here, or what. I'll be putting the actual line in spoiler tags as well as the voice clip whenever the yeti says anything. Now, back to checking out our environment. Mister snowman's got himself a bit of a love cavern going on here. Wine, candles, chocolates, even a hot tub. And... a disco ball, for some reason.

Maybe we can talk some sense into this guy.

Qaflemw? Why? What for?

I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm in a real hurry here.

Njuaru, dujn ku bflo a oasu! Baby, make yourself at home!

Oaqjflcr! It's all yours!

Okay, so the snowman isn't exactly the best conversationalist. But, actually, we can just exit his love shack whenever we want through the entrance in the upper left there.

Aha! I know I can climb out of here!

There is no time to waste!

Nuts. Maybe there's something we can use to help with that. Like, uh... icicles..?

Yep. We need two icicles, but there are plenty to pick from. Kind of makes you question how it's supposed to be able to support Zanthia's weight if she's able to just snap them off like that, but hey... whatever gets us up to the Wheels.

Lm. Lm. Ymt imtjo bajj alo nts al uyu mts! Don't! You'll get hurt! LIMLIMLIM (???)

So, uh. I have no idea what the heck is up with that last part, but that's what he says. The important part is, the yeti has thwarted our attempt at getting the heck out of dodge. I don't know, guys. Maybe if we stare at the problem long enough it'll sort itself out.

Oh, look who finally showed up. Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber are here to save the day, I guess.

Nice job. You couldn't have let that rope stay up there for just a wee moment longer so we could climb out of here? No, of course not. Let's see what they have to say now.

Yep. We're crafty woodsmen alright.

The Snowman is inside that cave. Why don't you go get him?

You two are afraid of him!

So what if we are?

They're just as wimpy as last we saw them.

Sure are.

He's right inside the cave there.

You go in first. We'll wait here.

Really. The Abominable Snowman is right in there!

And just as useless. Still, there is one way they could be of use to us. What we need here is a distraction; something to keep the yeti occupied while we climb our way to freedom. So far he's shown little interest in the hunters, but maybe we can change that...

Sitting on the bar in the snowman's pad is this bottle of cologne.

Smells almost as good as ol' loverboy.

There's some chocolate over here, too...

... and we can pinch some feathers from the pillow on the couch. This beginning to look familiar?

An empty bottle from the drink cabinet rounds out the set. It's time to make another Abominable Snowman potion. I actually think this puzzle is kind of clever in that the solution is a potion you've already used earlier in the game, but which requires different ingredients to make this time around. Potion ingredients in this game work as long as they're "close enough" to what the recipe calls for, so it's a nice way to show that off. Too bad this puzzle comes 1) way near the end of the game, and 2) after you just made the same potion only a few minutes ago. This could've been done so much better with some more clever writing and better spacing between the two puzzles, but it's a neat idea, at least.

Mix the feathers, chocolate (sugar), icicle (snow) and cologne (musk) and voila: potion. Now, we're not pouring this one on ourselves. That would be pretty counterproductive. No, we're putting this baby to a better use.

We don't need any help from you.

I wasn't offering any!

Good thing that yeti is so metropolitan about his preferences. With the trio being busy dealing with each other, the coast is now clear to climb out of here.

We can leave by the same path the hunters used to come here.

Which brings us... here.

Time to give Faun another call...

How is Kyrandia doing?

And what did you do to our roof, you little dipshit?

Big trouble! Everything is disappearing now!

Uh oh. Hang on, Faun... I'm almost up to the Wheels now. I sure hope this plan works... it's all we've got!

What plan? We have no plan! The only plan we had was the one the Hand came up with, and we have no idea where Marko is. We're just going up there now because we have no better place to be.

Hurry!

Okay, with that out of the way, let's check out this house.

I don't know, doesn't look like they serve food in there. Don't you need to get a reservation like months in advance, anyway?

This place is weird, and doesn't look very safe.

Uh oh. The Rainbow Machine looks broken!

Okay. Welcome to one of the most annoying puzzles in the game.

We need to fix the Rainbow Machine. That's the thing with the vines and the seven glass globes over there. On the right, we have a shelf with nine pigeonholes in it, and three levers. Clicking one of the glass globes gives us a clue:

I can't tell what colored liquid was in this orb.

So, the globes are supposed to contain colored liquids. As the name of the room and the number of globes implies, each globe needs to contain one of the seven colors of the rainbow - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. Where are we going to get colored liquids? Let's try clicking one of those levers over there...

The contents of the pigeonholes change. We can get all sorts of items here by changing the configuration of levers. In total, there are eight pages worth of stuff, and I won't show them all. Most of them are items we've already encountered on our way here. A few of them are new though, like the rainbowstone in the top right corner - you may recognize that one from the first game. Man, if only we'd had this thing earlier. We could have made all kinds of potions with that stuff...

... and that is exactly what the game wants us to do now. I hope you've been paying attention to what the colors our potions are! Once you've figured out a potion you need to make, you then get to fiddle around with the machine trying to hunt down all the ingredients. So let's start with the Abominable Snowman potion we've already made twice now in this update alone, since we know that's yellow.

After several minutes of fiddling, I've located the ingredients and jammed them in the cauldron. There are no empty bottles available, so we'll make one by taking this hot water bottle and having Zanthia swig it. There are several other bottles with various contents, but this is the only one Zanthia will drink. Okay, what next? The Skeptic Serum we made earlier was kind of violet-ish, so let's make that one.

Same procedure as last time. Let's hope the serum version of this potion is good enough. Next up, the Swampsnake potion from the beginning of the game was green.

Four to go. We have a problem, though: the remaining potions in our spellbook are not colored potions. They are things like the Sandwich potion that actually had a little sandwich inside it. With nothing better to do, we'll try making it anyway.

There is no mustard to be found either, so we have to make it by combining radish and vinegar again.

Oddly, the result is just called an "orange potion", with no visible sandwich. It's what we wanted, but the reason why we got this instead of a normal potion is unclear. It does give us good hopes for trying some other potions though.

The flying shoe potion is red, and concocted in a jiffy. You might think the normal Snowman potion would work for the blue potion, but as it turns out, making that one just gives you a snowman in a bottle. The one we need is the Teddy Bear potion.

Six down, one to go. We need to make an indigo potion. However... we're all out of potions to make. Did we miss something? Could the skeptic serum double as indigo, too? Nope. We need to make a potion for which we do not have the recipe. Let this sink in for a while. What the game expects you to do here is grope around for a while until this happens:

See this page with the little gem in the bottom right corner? That's an amethyst. Picking it up - and, remember, we have no reason to do so since it isn't part of any potion we know of - makes Zanthia blurt out a hint.

As I remember, this one is one of the ingredients for an Indigo Potion.

Yeah. One of the ingredients, mind you, and Zanthia won't give you any more hints. Fortunately, the potion only has two ingredients, and the other one is on the same page, but there's still no reason you would really know that, making this puzzle pure trial and bullshit.

The other ingredient is the blueberry.

Well, we have all the potions. Now we need to fill up the globes. We don't know the order, though, and part of me worries that in some version of this game they expected you to use them in the firefly order from way at the beginning of the game. Fortunately, good old R-O-Y-G-B-I-V works fine, beginning from the left.

We fixed the machine, guys! Too bad the puzzle was so boring, tedious, and time-consuming. Whatever. We're nearing the end now. Next time, we're going over the rainbow to whatever lies ahead!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Okay, I have to admit - stealing candy from a baby and then pouring the yeti potion on the two hunters was hilarious to me. "We don't need any help!" "I'm not offering any!" *pours magic juice all over them*

In another sense Zanthia is like I AM DONE WITH THIS poo poo I AM NOT LETTING ANYTHING STOP ME and getting really kind of questionable about the poo poo she'll pull to progress. Clearly, being in an adventure game has warped her just like that rainbow puzzle warped you.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That puzzle also has a "hilarious" gently caress you if you ignore the sign and try to create a certain potion you haven't done before. This is the only place you can possibly create it. I think there's also an additional easter egg, but I forget how to make it.

Psion posted:

Okay, I have to admit - stealing candy from a baby and then pouring the yeti potion on the two hunters was hilarious to me. "We don't need any help!" "I'm not offering any!" *pours magic juice all over them*

In another sense Zanthia is like I AM DONE WITH THIS poo poo I AM NOT LETTING ANYTHING STOP ME and getting really kind of questionable about the poo poo she'll pull to progress. Clearly, being in an adventure game has warped her just like that rainbow puzzle warped you.

That's so true - Zanthia's next costume makes that abundantly clear.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That puzzle also has a "hilarious" gently caress you if you ignore the sign and try to create a certain potion you haven't done before. This is the only place you can possibly create it. I think there's also an additional easter egg, but I forget how to make it.

I know how to create the... extra potions, but I'm saving that for after the main game is done. :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Psion posted:

Her entire homeland is close to vanishing while people get in her way (or simply refuse to help her) for dumb reasons. I'd say she's still firmly on the moral side.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Don't forget to ring the bell too.

There is technically a hint to figure out the correct order of the rainbow assuming you're not aware of ROYGBIV. I think you have to click the rainbow stone on yourself.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Torrannor posted:

Her entire homeland is close to vanishing while people get in her way (or simply refuse to help her) for dumb reasons. I'd say she's still firmly on the moral side.

There is nothing moral about CANDY STEALING! It's over the line!

(:v:)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I think the recipe for the indigo potion was a callback to the first game - gem plus plant of the same color. Without the context of the first game, it really is trial and error, but two ways to figure it out are to save first, then go back in and grab everything one at a time until she says the line about the indigo potion again - mix those tow ingredients, and you're done; or just grab everything that's not used for any other potions in the book and toss them in the cauldron until it becomes the potion you need, since extra ingredients have never ruined a potion as far as I can tell (unless they happen to create a different potion). That's probably what I did. I also dumped a few of the flasks of whatnot into the cauldron and kept the empties rather than drinking hot water specifically.

As for figuring out the correct bottle for each potion, I believe you can scoop the potions out of the wrong bottles, but if you've got one in the right place, Zanthia won't remove it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Nidoking posted:

go back in and grab everything one at a time until she says the line about the indigo potion again

She doesn't say it for the blueberry even if it's the first thing you touch. She only says it for the amethyst, and only once. You can indeed toss everything in the pot and eventually have it come out as something, though.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I figured the indigo potion is the portal potion. That's why it takes blueberries, but that's just my reasoning after the fact. I think I worked it out from trial and error, somehow.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I know how to create the... extra potions, but I'm saving that for after the main game is done. :v:

Aw man, don't keep us in suspense!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The yeti is awesome. Did you see his swagger. They put some real love into animating that thing.

Can Zanthia still drink the potions you just made or does she refuse to?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kyrandia just needs to come apart enough to free its prisoner, right? Hoo boy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Aw man, don't keep us in suspense!

We're real close to the end now, so it won't be long, don't you worry. :v:

Darth TNT posted:

Can Zanthia still drink the potions you just made or does she refuse to?

She won't. You can't bring them out of the room, either. As soon as you exit the rainbow room, everything in your inventory is erased from existence (except for the Alchemist's Magnet).

Zeniel posted:

I figured the indigo potion is the portal potion. That's why it takes blueberries, but that's just my reasoning after the fact. I think I worked it out from trial and error, somehow.

That's not a bad assumption. Being a callback to the previous game makes sense, too, in a twisted adventure-gamey sort of way. I don't actually remember how I worked it out the first time... this time around I just remembered that it was the amethyst and blueberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012
I always assumed "Lm. Lm." was supposed to be "No. No" The audio clip does not support this theory.

Edit: Now I remember, the reversed text uses a backwards alphabet, so to get the normal text you're supposed to reverse it and switch the letters with their corresponding letter of the forwards alphabet; i.e. the letter that would be in the same spot you if were to say the alphabet forwards instead of backwards. So "L" would be "O" and "M" would be "N." I think the writers forgot that part when they were making the CD version.

The other guy's explanation must've been equally confusing, so I also forgot.

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 3, 2015

• Locked thread