Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erotic Thomas
Apr 22, 2010

Billy Black posted:

I've recently upgraded my video card and subsequently my power supply. But my computer is running pretty slow, and I'm not sure what to upgrade next. And it's slow to do anything at all. Boot up, load a web page, load winamp, right click on the screen, etc. The plan is, of course, to upgrade everything. But I'm going to have to space it out, so I want to do this in order of importance and necessity. I'm assuming RAM, hard drive space, and processor are all going to help improve the speed of my computer.

An SSD hard drive and a new CPU were suggested when I posted this in the wrong location, but they said I would need a new motherboard and RAM if I replace the CPU. They also told me to post this here, but I don't know what it means:

http://imgur.com/2jehvyG

Here's my specs (I have a prebuilt Dell):
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E 7500 @ 2.94GHz
RAM: 6 GB
Hard Drive: 596 GB (180 free)
Graphics card: Radeon R7 260X
Power Supply: Capstone 450W 80 Plus Gold

While an SSD will definitely increase the general speed of the computer (quite noticibly as well), I would make the CPU a priority for a couple of reasons. If this is primarily for gaming, an SSD will allow you to open things and load programs (much, much, much) faster, but it won't really make your computer any more "powerful." Aside from that, given the age of your motherboard, there's the possibility the BIOS won't support AHCI, which you really want for an SSD, although that's relatively easy to check and could be a non-issue.

While you'll have to replace your motherboard if you go with a modern CPU, you may be able to hang onto your RAM if it's DDR3. All that being said, an SSD is always a wonderful upgrade and I would still highly recommend getting one.

If your computer really is running as slowly as you describe, there's probably something else going on, though, like a malware infection or something. For reference, I'm typing this from a laptop with 3GB of RAM and a mobile Core 2 Duo with half the clock speed of yours with about 20 tabs open in Chrome and I'm not having any problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erotic Thomas
Apr 22, 2010

Billy Black posted:

I've run a few Malware scans. I was starting to think the hard drive might be failing, but I don't know what it is.

How would I check if my BIOS supports AHCI?

If there's no malware infection and the hard drive is ok, there are a few other things that could be causing the slowdown. It could be too many startup programs running in the background or it could be heat related. I suppose it could just be a hardware bottleneck, but if it's unusably slow I would suspect that something else is going on.

It's an option in the BIOS. Where it is exactly varies from BIOS to BIOS, but it's often called "SATA Mode" and the options are usually IDE, AHCI and RAID. This may be found in Advanced Settings or Drive Settings or something, but it does vary. Any new motherboard you get will support AHCI, and it's almost always selected by default.

• Locked thread