Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Tech Report has a nice long video documenting the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b85h_ujZ_vg

Oops wait

How many eggs should I budget for my next build? OP uses at least a dozen but I'm not sure if I will be using more than half a dozen a year :confused:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is this an acceptable case? $49.99 shipped. It has an average of 5/5 star rating with 3219 ratings. That's usually a good sign.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

I have 2xSSD, 2xHDD, 1 GPU (GTX 460 1GB), 1 CPU (i5-750), 1 full size ATX motherboard, and two spare 120mm fans in my parts bin.

Light to medium gaming use (mostly TF2 these days, some KSP, plus the humble bundle game of the week) and a whole lot of web browsing + 15 hrs/wk work from home RDP bullshit.

The side panel on my 2007 era $35 raidmax case won't stay on without significant application of duct tape which is slightly annoying. It fell off again while typing this. It's made it the last 7 years and 2.5-three builds but it's probably ready to be retired at this point. The side panel is mostly ornamental at this point.

Basically I'm looking for a case that has decent (not phenomenal) airflow, room for a full ATX mobo and has side panels that can put up with being a footstool for 20+ hrs a week. Probably I will dump a Broadwell i5 + GTX 750 2GB (or equivalent) in here sometime next summer when they go on the market. Broadwell doesn't hardly use any watts and the GTX 750 uses half the watts as my current GPU so that's why i'm not terribly concerned about airflow.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is wrong with it in your opinion? Your opinion jives differently than approx 2449 people (which is what I was hoping to see here). I'm willing to pay up to $89 for a really solid case, but I want someting boring, under 18.5" tall and extremely durable (externally). I don't goof around with the internals but once every 18 months or so.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone still sell the Cooler Master N300? Newegg lists it out of stock and the only listing on amazon is some third party site.

My laptop and file server both have USB 3.0 (and I even have a USB 3.0 hub to power my arduino stuff and USB-charging bicycle lights) but two years later I still don't own anything that's actually USB 3.0

How is it quieter? Both cases use 120mm fans, unless I am missing something here

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rexxed posted:

I've got two of them from 2008-2009 and they're okay. Newer cases will be a little better in a few ways but the three hundred isn't a bad case for the price. It's not thin steel so you can rest you leg on it (but it's 18" tall) and has a bottom mounted PSU. It also has the top mounted 140mm. I've got two front intake fans and a side intake in both of them (120mm), with the back 120mm and top 140mm blowing out.

e: the noise is mostly because there are little fan cages and grates on most of the fan mounts, which is good so you don't stick your finger in the fan, but also make air whooshing noise because they're stamped out of flat steel.

Great, thanks sir! The thing I like about the Antec 300 is that the top panel isn't mesh metal which I know is going to dent inwards over the next 5+ years of eating my heel pressing down on it. Looking at the OP the next closest competitor is the Corsair Graphite Series 230T but it has a mostly mesh top which will likely fail inside of 18 months being a footstool. Actually no vent on top would be preferable in that situation but it doesn't look like you can buy a quality case without active top vent these days.

Orientation of the drives, cable routing etc isn't terribly important to me as cooling's never been a problem in my present case (no OC, no overheat issues, I rarely change the system internals these days), nor is USB 3.0. I like that the fans can be setup on low using switches on the Antex 300. The aftermarket 80mm fans in my old Raidmax are all set on low and seem to work great for that purpose.

Considering the new broadwell laptops (Yoga 3 Pro, etc) don't even have fans or vent holes, I'm seriously considering if airflow is even going to be a thing in 18 months, let alone the entire miniaturized water cooling industry. Sure desktops use more power than laptops but my Haswell server only pulls 35 watts TDP, thermal management was more of a concern in the Core 2 Duo days when you were looking at 95-135w TDP. Broadwell desktop is supposed to be on par with Sandy Bridge mobile in terms of heat dissipation.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Bitfenix is also worth considering for budget cases - the comrade and Neos are both decent cheap options (the Neos is slightly better) though you'd need to at at least one front fan yourself, they only come with a rear. neither have mesh tops.

Are you talking about the BitFenix BFC-NEO-100-KKXSK-RP? That does look like a pretty solid contender, no top fan, 2x120mm front, 1x120mm rear, fancy pants side mount HDD, plus it's only 16.8" high, only 0.8" higher than my current case (this is actually a major deciding factor, sadly). It looks like if you could remove/replace those feet I could get it down to 16"H.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Note that it comes with a single 120mm fan for the rear - you have to add front fans yourself. it is pretty decent. If height is a factor have you considered mATX or mITX?

My current board is a full size ATX, as will future builds most likely

Rexxed posted:

The reason I had a second Antec three hundred was because my dad was using one for an old build and he kept his leg up on it all of the time. He got tired of blocking the fan on top with his leg and asked for his new build (a couple years ago) if he could go with a shorter case without a top fan so I got him setup with a micro-atx case with no top fan mount, I like the look of the Bitfenix that Bude is suggesting.

Yes I am certainly leaning that way, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

vivisecting posted:

Can I get some advice on my build? I'm straight up ARTS so I have no idea what I'm looking at, at all :confused:

Also I've actually already bought most of these parts :sweatdrop: so hopefully they aren't complete trash. Newegg takes returns right...

The good news is, if you call up Newegg TODAY and tell them you want to return everything unopened, be really nice and explain to them you bought the wrong things, and :siren: you're going to refuse delivery so everything goes back completely unopened (it looks like, on paper at least, like they never delivered it) and you won't get hit with restocking fees etc. but you're still out shipping to your house. It sounds like you'll come out way ahead eating the one-way shipping cost. You'll need to leave a big friendly note for the UPS guy saying you refuse shipment with a signature, even better if someone is on site to sign their pad for them saying such.

Also, whoever says SSDs aren't the second coming of jesus, you ought to be suspicious of them.

vivisecting, just keep in mind here the magic words are "refuse delivery", and do not go anywhere near those packages or the tape that seals them with a knife! Tell the UPS guy "I made a terrible purchasing decision and the guy on the internet said and I quote 'I am refusing delivery, please return these to the sender'" and he ought to understand and take them back. If he dumps them on your door you're going to have to chase after him and sign his pad. But once they're on the truck and Newegg knows they're coming back you ought to be good, and can re-buy what you actually need.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm kind of set in my ways, but also airflow by default is better in a medium size case than a tiny shoebox, and you can run more, larger fans at lower RPMs for less noise; second there's no strong correlation between motherboard size or case size in price. I'm not seeing where "paying for more ports" is a thing. Third ATX sized cases are backward compatible with mini/microatx, fourth, and this is important, it needs to be at between 16"-18" high to replace my existing "footstool" case, which was the reason I posted in here to begin with :confused:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok I scanned the OP and I see a single mention of Broadwell and no mention of the completely new architecture Skylake that's supposed to be coming in Fall/Winter 2015.

Broadwell i5/i7 are supposed to be released this year, but the better question is, will the Skylake processors, with the major jump from "core i" to the completely new architecture, will desktop processors be out before Holiday 2015? Broadwell is supposed to only be avalible for about 6 months before Skylake hits the shelves, last time I heard. My i5-750 desktop is getting long in tooth and I'd rather jump straight from Core i architecture to Skylake before all the big game releases this fall/winter.

edit: here's an outdated, 8 month old image but the Q2 Broadwell seems to be spot-on for desktops

This was the only discussion I'd seen in the last couple of pages

HalloKitty posted:

It'd be nice if that were true.

Overclock your 2500K to 4.5GHz and you've handily eliminated the majority of the reason to upgrade. If you get a 4790K, however, that's got such a high stock base and boost clock, that if you want to spend money, there's an upgrade. Certainly for heavily threaded stuff. For games, still not so much; so describing it as "sizeable" would be a stretch.

I thought this was interesting, data from BF3 which uses the Frostbite engine, and is possibly a rough indicator of performance with the new Battlefront game coming out in Holiday 2015.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 25, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fantastic, thanks! Didn't see that thread before.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the "lifespan" of a 960 vs 970 on a 1080p display, given that the 960 seems to be capable of 60fps on "ultra" for about 70% of games released today. The 960 seems like it is 60-70% the speed for about two thirds the price. It seems like the 970 ought to keep you playing with medium (or whatever passes for "better than Doom II" these days) graphics settings up until the next round of consoles are released. People who buy in high on a GPU at the beginning of a console cycle seem to be able to ride out that purchase for a long time.

Also I spend about 99% of my time not playing games these days, in all the reviews about the 960 (in particular the Strix, Asus must be handing out blowjobs with their demo units) everyone is commenting on how the GPU runs fanless during normal operation, which sounds great, I am a big fan of low-noise computers. Does the 970 have the same high efficiency Maxwell that can run fanless?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A search for "coil" on Newegg's listing for the 970 Strix returns 93 out of 182 results.

What causes coil whine and how can you prevent it? It sounds like it may be impacted by voltage on the power rail coming from the power rail. That kind of thing will drive me crazy. I'm super sensitive to noise. Maybe AMD is a better solution?

Ok after watching some YouTube videos, is coil whine only an issue if the case is open and on top of your desk? Being high frequency it seems very directional. Mine sits on the floor with the case closed.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 6, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My boss took my recommendation of an i7 with 8gb ram, 256gb ssd and gtx 760, then went and bought a Lenovo m83 with i7-4790, 16GB ram, ati 8750. He's going to roll over his existing rotational 25gb and 1tb drives on his old machine.

He plans on using it for Photoshop (or light room, he does high end digital photography as a hobby) and playing world of Warcraft with his son on dual 1080p screens. He ought to be grossly overpowered for those tasks, right? Or how fired am I?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TheJeffers posted:

The GPU is terrible (I assume you meant a Radeon 8570), but everything else will be OK. Since it's a small-form-factor system, there's not much you can do about the GPU, but then again, it's your boss' fault for not following your recommendations more closely.

Welp, that is a terrible GPU, I'll have to let him know, thanks. Somehow I must have googled a different GPU, the result said the model I punched in was 86% the speed of a GTX 760. Thanks for the heads up.

There are a couple of M83 Thinkcentres, this is the 18" minitower "Tower Desktop", not the M83 Tiny Desktop"; at 17.5" case height it ought to be capable of housing a modern GTX 760 right? I think my home desktop is ~18" currently with a GTX 460.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

Anyone have opinions on an Intel NUC?

Our all in one has died and we liked its function but after my success (house still standing!) Building a PC, I was thinking of getting a nice monitor and small form factor PC and mounting it up basically.

Basically just need something to drive 1080p without sweating and run Windows. SSD would be nice as well as integrated GPU from the processor, but I'm not sure if I've dug up every viable option. Any thoughts?

My mom's current PC is an old, Atom-powered Asus Revo mounted to the back of one of her two her displays using a VESA mount. Going to upgrade her to an i5 Broadwell NUC here this fall for her birthday, the Broadwell models were just released in the last month with good reviews, the processors are finally cool enough for the idea to really work, and SSDs are cheap enough that it's really a viable system.

Obviously, 'True Gamers' won't be able to take advantage of them but Intel HD graphics 4000 and up are more than acceptable for average desktop use by Mom.

The other big advantage is you're getting a 100% Intel product, manufactured by Intel; the likelihood of it breaking is next to zero, and you'll have driver support until the heat death of the universe in Windows + Linux.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

256GB SSD in the sheets, 2TB Red on the street :getin:

My next desktop is going to have a 256gb SSD and everything else already lives on duplicated WD Reds on a file server in the closet under the stairs. Gig-E is fast enough for day to day file server use and a 256GB SSD is large enough for day to day desktop/steam use.

Now that Steam supports installing to network shares, I have some of my largest ( > 10GB), least frequently played steam games archived on the file server. Load times are a little slower than an old rotational drive but it gets the job done. Most of my installs still go on my local 128GB SSD.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the spread between new AMD product release (they have a Q2 2015 new product release) and Nvidia price drop? About 30 days? I would like to pick up a GTX 970 ahead of the Battlefront release this fall but I'd also like to get in on nvidia streaming to my FireTV in the living room (existing 460 GTX doesn't support it) sooner rather than later. I'm looking at picking up the GTX 970 at some point. Right now they retail for about $300 usd.

Are we looking at a $40 price drop after AMD makes their announcement? $20? $80? If it's less than $20 I might as well buy now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Welp, did not expect to walk in to that^^

Intel announced in January 2013 that they were no longer making motherboards, and since then I haven't heard a peep about it, it looks like by the end of January nobody was writing about that story anymore. Is Intel really no longer making their own motherboards after Haswell? Intel's hardware has consistently the been the absolute best quality I've seen in consumer products and I'm a little apprehensive about switching away from that known level of quality.

Although, Intel has really jumped in the ring with SSDs in the last 2.5 years, has their take on motherboards changed since then? Will Intel reference boards still be available on a limited basis with Skylake?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How many pages back do I need to go to find the "Occulus Rift suggested minimum card is a 970" debate, if any occurred? I do flight sims and my last video card purchase was 5 years ago and I anticipate owning the official consumer version of the Rift when it's released.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

Both are fine and very similar.
You can also buy the Asus Strix here with the 10$ off coupon TRIBUTE10 http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-S970DO4&c=CJ

Wait until the drat thing is on the market and read sim nerd reviews about what min fps you need to not vomit your guts out. I doubt a 970 can guarantee 90fps for what you have in mind.

It looks like Valve is claiming GTX 980 will be their minimum, which a quick glance says that's a $600 card. They're supposed to be releasing their developer model later this year and consumer model next year, and claiming the GTX 980 will be "midrange by later this year" so I'm hoping the price will come down to $400 or so.

From inside the cockpit of an airplane you're rendering a fairly static display and far, far fewer polygons as you're generally looking at terrain or a (mostly) flat instrument panel. I think the high end cards will probably be more needed for those ultra high poly, zombie apocalypse survival games where you have lots of fast motion inside of a complex 3D environment and lots of lighting/particle effects.

Valve and Microsoft are supposed to announce their products formally at E3 next month (week?), Oculus is having an event a couple days before.

I bought one of those $6 "turn your cell phone in to VR goggles" cardboard kits off of ebay and the result is pretty alarmingly good given the low resolution and cheap plastic lenses, so I'm excited to see the final consumer models hit the market next year.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 22, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google says you should be idling at 29-35c with ambient room temp of 20c (68F)

If you were in the mountains on a hot dry day 45C CPU idle temp would be considered hot

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have an old core2 duo mobo/cpu with 8gb ram that I couldn't give away on craigslist. It will probably compute whatever background task you need, but the CPU alone (not counting the egg-frying northbridge) also eats up like 80w just sitting at idle. Probably 150-180W total at idle. That's about $150/year in electricity costs. A little over $10/mo. Plus if you live in a warm climate, another $3 a month to pump the heat out of your house (the cost-per-watt of AC is pretty close to 1/3rd of the watts of heat created)

It would take a while to make back the difference of getting a new computer (2 years?) but amortized over 3-5 years (file server, probably) going with a modern haswell-class CPU that idles at under 10w will more than pay for itself. This advice wasn't valid 2 years ago, and it won't be valid in three years when "old" desktops are Haswell, but it's valid right now, at least.

TL;DR old crap computers produce a ton of heat and are expensive to run, new computers don't produce any heat hardly and are borderline efficient enough to run off of a solar panel the size of a pizza box at idle.

If you really want my old C2D system you can have it for the cost of shipping + hassle of going to the UPS store with it.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 24, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

grack posted:

You don't need to buy the OEM/fanless boxed CPU if you're using an aftermarket cooler, they don't come attached to each other.

As for using an aftermarket cooler the primary advantages when you're not overclocking are lower noise and lower CPU temps. MUCH lower noise with the i7 because the stock Intel cooler isn't all that great.

The heat sinks on my Intel processors keep getting smaller and smaller. How far back does heatsink compatibility go for current haswell models? I'm tempted to pull the big mamma jamma heatsink off my Core 2 Duo and replace the 3/4" high aluminum stub that came with the CPU.

I see intel sells a fanless server grade passive heatsink for just $38. According to Intel Ark it's a pair of heatsinks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Specifically for Full ATX boards

What is the reccomended Z170 chipset motherboard? It looks like they all float around $135-180 with the median being ~$165, and those include a single USB Type-C connector onboard (:dance:)

Also there are a couple of Z170 boards that cost $280-320 and seem to have the exact same feature sets. I can't figure out why they cost so much more.

I presume with all this VR goggle funny business that dual SLI video cards are going to finally be relevant so I'm going to want all the lanes that Z170 provides and two x 16x PCIE slots but I can't imagine why

$164: ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566&cm_re=Z170-_-13-132-566-_-Product

$319: ASUS Z170-DELUXE LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132568&cm_re=Z170-_-13-132-568-_-Product

As far as I can tell, it has an extra M.2 slot, 2 extra SATA2 ports (for a total of 8 SATA), one E-SATA and a second Gig-E port.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: weird-rear end resolution

1680x1050 was a really popular standard for flatpanel displays 2007-2011 before 1080p prices dropped. Higher res than 1366x768 but also 16:10 for a more computer-y aspect ratio rather than the squashed-looking 16:9 of 1920x1080. For a while there it was looking like the PC world was going towars 1920x1200 on the high end and 1680x1050 on the low end, but instead we got 1920x1080 and 1366x768 :(

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

I was going to build a cheap $400 dollar "office" computer for my brother to learn programming on. I want to pair it with a 1440p monitor. Are the integrated graphics on the Haswell i5 chips compatible with dual DVI?

Basically, would I be able to pair the onboard DVI output on the motherboard below with a 1440p monitor? I know I had to get a seperate adapter for my laptop to make it compatible with dual dvi.

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157451)

If all you're honestly doing is programming you might want to look in to a reburb i7 T420 laptop for $250

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have a reference for these Skylake-centric Windows performance improvements? I'm trying to imagine what they could possibly be.

The only thing I see is that CPU frequency stepping will be offloaded to the CPU instead of the OS giving you faster spin down and more importantly spin UP speeds, down to 1ms from 30ms. 30ms is about 1 frame of a 30fps display which isn't a lot, but for VR applications it might be useful where low latency actually matters.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/1/9238379/intel-skylake-launch-ifa-2015-kirk-skaugen-interview

verge posted:

a technology Intel calls Speed Shift. Before the sixth-gen Core CPUs, the operating system would be responsible for giving cues when more or less performance is needed and the processor would adjust its speed accordingly. That reaction would usually take 30ms, but now Intel has shifted the intelligence over to the processor and is allowing it to make the determination itself. The latency is reduced to just 1ms and the end result is a more responsive and power-efficient system: a win for Intel, Microsoft, and the end user. A Windows 10 update will enable this functionality in the "near term,"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I need a QUIET 80mm fan that has a pass-through MOLEX connector. Preferably with a speed controller. This is for a home server so I am ok paying upwards of $20 each for reliability and low noise.

It's a haswell server that sits mostly idle 99% of the time so running the fan at hypersonic speeds is not something that will ever need to happen. It just needs to exhaust air at a leisurely rate.

My case uses dual 80mm fans for exhaust but apparently getting bounced across the grand canyon and back again (literally) during my move hosed the bearing in one fan. Only one fan is hosed but they share a common MOLEX connector and if one died, the other is not far behind. Having that pass-through connector will allow me to link up two fans on the existing connector, as everything else is currently maxed out.

Also ordering a new 4TB drive as I'm sure one of the hard drives is going to eat it too, even if they're technically shock rated for X Gs. I'm thinking WD Red, again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have two of those cases at work for VM lab stuff, they're great. They get tossed around a lot, being moved on various workbenches, carts etc. Ours don't have the top fan though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Those coffee stains on the computer cart really pull the scene together.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My rule of thumb for integrated graphics (Ivy Bridge/Haswell and forward) is that if you can buy it on Steam for under $10, you can at least play it on 'low' on integrated graphics. Indie developers often don't have the resources to build a graphically taxing game, and it gives them access to the huge number of laptop users customers out there. And also integrated graphics started getting acceptably ok in 2012-2013.

Anything like Battlefield 3 or higher will play like garbage though. You can load BF3 on 2012 era (Ivy Bridge) integrated graphics, and shoot guns and drive tanks, but you're going to do it at 15-20fps.

But yeah you can buy a pretty impressive GPU for $120 these days.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sandy Bridge i7 (2011) is roughly on par with a Haswell i5 (2015) and probably even a Skylake i5. The big push over the last four years was energy efficency over performance increases. Sandy Bridge was the last major bump in performance. So it depends on what you're doing with it. Chances are, if you're not regularly peaking CPU usage now, you can probably afford to sit on it a while longer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can reach for bleeding edge AAA games as an exception to that rule (which I covered, I thought, by talking about how awful BF3 runs on the HD4000 :confused:) but I would wager it holds true for 97%+ of titles on steam under $10

I used to have a night shift job, and I played probably 300 hours of Kerbal Space Program, and 40+ hours of Skyrim on my laptop's HD4000, plus another 100 hours in blender building/texturing rocket ship parts for KSP. It's not mind blowing, but if you acknowledge the limitations of the system, it's acceptable performance for some people.

Disclaimer: I ran Counter-Strike in ~2000 in software render mode at 15-21fps on a 400mhz celeron, because that's all I had as a poor high school student :homebrew:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 3, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How much more for the quad core i5? It's not much of a thing (yet) but some games are beginning to require quad core. Unless the i3 has hyper threaded dual core, for four logical cores?

If the price difference is $20, those extra two cores will make a pretty big difference over the five or so years he'll have it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's what, $289 for a refurb XB1, vs a middle of the road PC ($200?) with a $70 video card in it. Is he going to wipe it and put a fresh licensed copy of Windows 10 on it? That's +/- 15% of being an even trade, especially with the display/mouse/keyboard.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I'm planning on never overclocking, as I've never overclocked my current 2009-era i5-750...

Is there any advantage in buying the $379 i7-6700K over the $50 cheaper i7-6700 (non-K model)?

I'm going to be using this to replace my existing i5-750, primarily for use with an NV GTX 970 and some sort of VR goggles.

OP hasn't been updated since Haswell, yikes. It's still talking about "when Broadwell is released"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rexxed posted:

The 6700K has stock clock speeds of 4.0 GHz with 4.2 Turbo while the 6700 has stock clocks of 3.4 GHz with 4.0 Turbo, so the extra clock speed, even without an overclock, would be the main reason to buy one. The 6700K doesn't include a heatsink so you'll need one of those as well. The non-K is listed as a 65W TDP part while the K is 91W, so there's some additional power and heat used for the higher clock speeds.

I can just recycle the heat sink off my old i5-750 though, right? That thing is way beefier than what came with my haswell i5.

The clock speed difference for turbo is only 200mhz which seems like, nothing, really. 5% to be exact. My laptop and other desktop (haswell) seem happy to run at turbo speeds all day long so is it really just a 5% clock bump?

Why on earth is one model 65w and the other is 91w? Is it the same chip, just binned higher? The Thermal Solution Specification on Intel's ARK says 130w for the K, while non-K is still 65w. That's a lot less power (fan noise) to dissipate.

• Locked thread