Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he says he's gonna stop it but then he seems more focused on trying to get rin's mom to leave her husband for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kariya was not really all there mentally.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gaius Marius posted:

Kariya was not

good summary of him in general

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

StrixNebulosa posted:

IIRC that spoiler does not come up for any other Fate game, but Tsukihime has similar trauma (nowhere near as detailed).

Fate/Zero, as a prequel, has a character who tries to stop that spoiler and fails, which makes it much harder to read and/or watch.

Thanks. I'll go on to the jokier sequel for now, then, instead of trying official-localization Tsukihime immediately after, and see if I wanna hit Zero later.

GateOfD posted:

It’s okay, everyone knows UBW is the best route

Honestly if we go full routes, yeah, that probably wins for me, but I think I do have to give some of the very end of HF my favorite scene, with the Shirou/Kotomine discussion and brawl cementing that I think, bastard that he is, Kotomine is still the most interesting character in the cast.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Regarding the sequel, presuming you mean Hollow Ataraxia: Though it is clean for a good 99% of it, there is a problem scene somewhere in the second half of it. Said sequence is a one off, but it's definitely there.

If you want a Type Moon thing that's TOTALLY clean, you want to try Mahoyo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Heavens feel is in fact the best route because it's the grand payoff to all the stuff in fate and ubw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

UBW is my favorite. Rin is a more compelling character and love interest and Archer's deal was more interesting then the Matou carnival of crimes and corruption. The Kotomine poo poo was GOATed though.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

i think the lesson in UBW is that going the Archer route is actually bad.

but screw it, the boyish sacrificial hero in my heart loves it. and the route has so many good lines for me. and best lancer scenes

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

GateOfD posted:

i think the lesson in UBW is that going the Archer route is actually bad.

"I would simply not betray my ideals." - Emiya Shirou

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Conspiratiorist posted:

"I would simply not betray my ideals." - Emiya Shirou

"could you explain these ideals with slightly more specificity"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

claw game handjob posted:

So I've got a question about... I guess just a general question about the studio and their works, I know more writers get involved over time than just Nasu.

I've just finished FSN, all routes, and I was pretty into it until the part of Heaven's Feel that dropped yeah, Sakura just got raped by every surviving man in her family for a while on me, which kinda soured me on the route as a whole. Mostly I think the reason this one catches me is that everything prior was basically just a shonen level adventure story and suddenly they slam that into me over and over and over.

If I go on from here into other works, are there any I'm gonna want to avoid for similar reasons, is this a singular time that card gets played, should I just stop here? Kinda unsure how to go investigating this without spoiling further games for myself.
heavens feel ftw, sakura ftw

anyway, assault-type stuff comes up in the backstories of some FGO characters because, well, mythology and history, but its rarely directly addressed or lingered on outside of it informing the characters a bit. it comes up a couple times in FGO's plot directly but again, not really lingered on.

its mentioned in f/z briefly cause sakura is in that too.

sides that i cant think of it being mentioned anywhere in fate/apocrypha, case files, fate/strange fake, etc.

i don't think its mentioned in fate/extra at all. its mentioned in ccc a little because there is A sakura there but also not really lingered on.

it comes up in kara no kyoukai as the backstory for a character of the week (or well, movie, since its a series of films), and not really at all outside of that movie, and it comes up a fair bit in the original tsukihime. the remake removes most of those direct references but there is still one scene that lingers on it. also the character whose backstory is tied directly into that stuff doesnt have a route in the first remake but will whenever the second one comes out. we dont know how theyll handle it but presumably her backstory will be kept at least mostly the same.

i dont think anything like that comes up in mahoyo at all.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 19, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think you can really separate UBW (in which Shirou resolves to follow his ideals even after acknowledging it will be difficult) and HF (in which Shirou is forced to navigate an extreme challenge to his ideals). FSN having such a clear thematic throughline across routes is one of the coolest things about it IMO

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like UBW best because it's resolution is more about beating up a bunch of jerks. A reconciliation ending is fine, in general, but is never really all that satisfying to me in a story that is otherwise action packed. Telling me "There are some problems you can't project an infinite amount of swords at" in the story where the best part is projecting an infinite number of swords is a real buzzkill.

I wonder how seriously considered the the Sakura and Kohaku stuff was in terms of something that Nasu really wanted to write about, or if it was a concession to the market, at the time. Be interesting to see how the latter is represented in the second half of the Tsukihime remake, assuming it ever comes out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Like a lot of early to mid 00's VNs it was somewhat the style of the time for darker/action VNs. The fact that Heaven's Feel has a much more comparatively nuanced approach and resolution where it can both attempt to acknowledge the trauma but also make it clear that it shouldn't define/control the characters (and also not let them use the guilt of their other actions prevent them from being able to live on and be happy) was something that made it stand out positively compared to some of its contemporaries IMO.

By comparison I think the scene at the end of hollow ataraxia (which otherwise *rules*) is much more of an unpleasant swerve and I do kind of wish the Vita release had done a better job with its replacement.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

realta nua awkwardly papering over some aspects of HF in ways that have been walked back in adaptations is way more of a market concession than nasu choosing to write it tbh.

e: even being cynical if TM were mostly concerned about pandering to a market, characters like kohaku and sakura would be very different or just not exist, frankly. You can see this in how FSN's initial audience was often, really loving weird about Sakura to the point of it seeping into the early gag material like koha-ace and carnival phantasm.

Motto fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 19, 2024

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I like UBW best because it's resolution is more about beating up a bunch of jerks. A reconciliation ending is fine, in general, but is never really all that satisfying to me in a story that is otherwise action packed. Telling me "There are some problems you can't project an infinite amount of swords at" in the story where the best part is projecting an infinite number of swords is a real buzzkill.

I wonder how seriously considered the the Sakura and Kohaku stuff was in terms of something that Nasu really wanted to write about, or if it was a concession to the market, at the time. Be interesting to see how the latter is represented in the second half of the Tsukihime remake, assuming it ever comes out.

I don’t think it was a concession to the market given that all the routes have sex scenes. I think it's more that a theme that nasu likes including in his work is the cycle of abuse and how it drives people. I would expect that although the specifics may be changed it’ll still be a thing in far side given that it’s a driving factor for all the tohno family drama.

And hell, it may be a buzzkill but “there are problems shirou can’t solve with swords” is important too.

HF may be less fun than UBW, but it’s the best route because it pulls together all the themes from earlier routes. Shirou wanting to be a superhero is first examined as an externalisation (saber), then a quasi internalisation (archer.Then finally e the mocking thing kotomine points out about his ideals(to be a hero there needs to be a villain)is applied as the villain is revealed to be someone he cares about and who has been a victim of things he can’t superhero away. There is explicitly a choice between the superhero ideals and dealing with reality in which the superhero choice is the wrong one. Shirou and saber’s ideals are never really praised in the franchise, only challenged (including by each other).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The direct parallel between Rider and Sakura is also really interesting imo. Can't remember how much that's explored in FSN rather than FHA though

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Sakura and Kohaku stuff makes more sense when you remember Nasu was a big Revolutionary Girl Utena fan

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Asterite34 posted:

The Sakura and Kohaku stuff makes more sense when you remember Nasu was a big Revolutionary Girl Utena fan

Fate/Extra CCC is basically Utena.

I've never actually watched Utena, but I did play CCC recently then read a review which made the comparison so it feels legit in light of this post.

Also, I just wanna say how much Archer owns in Extra and CCC. Dude really owns up to his traumas and failures and concludes he did the best he could and he'd do it again. I started the series thinking I'd use Caster or Saber just to get to know the characters better, but then I saw how if you say no to the "Are you my master?" question at the start the other two assume you're goofing around and carry on as normal while Archer peaces out and leaves you to die, I couldn't not pick him after that.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kyte posted:

Rogue Saber has the shortest showing of the lot and only appears when certain conditions are met.
All of them except Rogue Caster temporarily leave at a certain main story point. Rogue Berserker doesn't come back.

Okay, so Rogue Saber and Rogue Berserker would be priorities for skill seeds or at least until I fill the requirements for Iori. Thanks!

also how do I realize only now Shinji is just Saionji all over again

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Speaking of EMIYA and trauma, the Se.ra.ph manga just recently translated a section with EMIYA Alter where Kiara kind of forced him to see again what caused him to be so broken in the history he came from. It's, uh, extremely not pretty. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord Koth posted:

Speaking of EMIYA and trauma, the Se.ra.ph manga just recently translated a section with EMIYA Alter where Kiara kind of forced him to see again what caused him to be so broken in the history he came from. It's, uh, extremely not pretty. :(

Soooooo...Taiga shoots him? I don't know poo poo about F/GO stories.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I think the implication is Alternate Timeline Emiya's Hero of Justice duties sent him to clear out Kiara's extremist cult of debauchery, and found Taiga was one of them and couldn't be talked down

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

AlternateNu posted:

The jist of it is there's an EMIYA Alter in FGO who is even edgier than Kiritsugu and can be said to be the "Mind of Steel" Shirou ending from HF to an extreme. The SE.RA.PH. event AKA the Extra CCC collaboration confirmed what drove him that path was something related to Kiara and having to kill a lot of innocents to get to her. The manga reveals the breaking point was having to shoot and kill Taiga, who joined Kiara's cult to help her sick child despite not believing in it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"how edgy is EMIYA alter?"

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Look, he's had a hard life.

The key difference with EMIYA Alter is that he ended up broken by his ideals before he even died, as opposed to EMIYA who went to his death still holding to his ideals - it was being used time and time again by the Counter Force after his death that broke him. Though to be entirely fair, normal EMIYA didn't have to deal with Kiara popping up and turning his entire world into a gargantuan mess either. Hell, Alter wasn't even betrayed to his death like normal EMIYA - his death was faked and was kept around as an extrajudicial remover of threats by the world government. Which certainly didn't help the mental state he eventually entered the Throne in either.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 20, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

his death was faked and was kept around as an extrajudicial remover of threats by the world government. Which certainly didn't help the mental state he eventually entered the Throne in either.

...you know, sometimes I read things like this about Emiya being a Global Illuminati liquidator, and it reminds me that, even outside of all the magibabble metaphysics and rear end in a top hat wizards and vampires and stuff, this fictional universe is weird. It's like how you sometimes forget that one of Shiro's high school teachers is a no-poo poo yakuza princess, and also one of them is loving Agent 47? Nothing to do with the Grail War, just a total coincidence. Stuff like that is just running around in the background unnoticed and only comes up when it happens to intersect the main magic plot.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

...you know, sometimes I read things like this about Emiya being a Global Illuminati liquidator, and it reminds me that, even outside of all the magibabble metaphysics and rear end in a top hat wizards and vampires and stuff, this fictional universe is weird. It's like how you sometimes forget that one of Shiro's high school teachers is a no-poo poo yakuza princess, and also one of them is loving Agent 47? Nothing to do with the Grail War, just a total coincidence. Stuff like that is just running around in the background unnoticed and only comes up when it happens to intersect the main magic plot.

But that is only one timeline or universe version of that character. In the next one they are a sous chef at a Mexican restaurant in Tokyo.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've said it before, and I'll say it a million times again, the Type Mooniverse is the closest thing Japan has to Marvel and/or DC Comics, and (for me) that's a good thing!

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it a million times again, the Type Mooniverse is the closest thing Japan has to Marvel and/or DC Comics, and (for me) that's a good thing!

It's got this DC Morrison poo poo to it, it's all insane and ?kinda?maybe?might?make?sense?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

its just total fanwork.
but i love Battle Moon Wars, I replayed it so many times. And lets play out a lot of typemoon nerd fantasies on what if so and so crossed paths.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally picked up Samurai Remnant again. Iori and Saber are real fun, at first glance it reminds you of Shirou and Saber but at the same time they have a completely different chemistry and personalities and they're really endearing when bouncing each other. I'm also starting to unlock the mechanics that make the game deeper.

Also I beat Rogue Berserker the very first moment I could, I'm a master at this game :smug: Ignore it took me 3 tries, a lot of my restoratives and staying away like a coward.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

One more question about Samurai Remnant if I might. I just got Rogue Berserker as a support Servant and already used enough skill gems to get the 60 points needed to max him out at level 100. But given his lack of availability AFAIK, should I blow a few more gems on him to get him the 100~ SP to get 11 skills (and thus let me unlock the Earth skill on Iori's grid) so I can master the tree whenever I want? Or just wait till NG+ and save gems for Rogue Saber (albeit he apparently is more available on NG+ as long as you do his Disgression)

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Need some verification on my initial look for Kara no Kyokai. CD Japan has first 7 movies in a nice box set, are the last two feasily available short of finding reseller for initial print from 2015-ish?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

One more question about Samurai Remnant if I might. I just got Rogue Berserker as a support Servant and already used enough skill gems to get the 60 points needed to max him out at level 100. But given his lack of availability AFAIK, should I blow a few more gems on him to get him the 100~ SP to get 11 skills (and thus let me unlock the Earth skill on Iori's grid) so I can master the tree whenever I want? Or just wait till NG+ and save gems for Rogue Saber (albeit he apparently is more available on NG+ as long as you do his Disgression)

Okay, never mind, didn't know you could do all his Disgressions the first time so it unlocked 2 extra nodes, with one more Servant level he can get 11 skills and then I won't have to worry till NG+. All I'm waiting for is for the last statue to be available, do I have to wait for the Void stance before it can randomly appear when carving?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Endorph posted:

anyway, assault-type stuff comes up in the backstories of some FGO characters because, well, mythology and history, but its rarely directly addressed or lingered on outside of it informing the characters a bit. it comes up a couple times in FGO's plot directly but again, not really lingered on.

i honestly think sakura's story in heaven's feel is what makes FSN work as a whole. Because the Fate and UBW routes are about how Shirou is traumatized and has ptsd and thinks that to be a good person, he has to sacrifice himself over and over because it didn't make sense that he lived when other people died. In Heaven's Feel, we finally see how, just by living his daily life with kindness and integrity--cooking meals, giving his time freely to help others, always aspiring to be better--is heroic in and of itself. His ability to survive the traumas of his past and continue to grow let him make room for Sakura in his life, and he's such a lifeline for her.

Then there's the radical reimagining of mythological order in Heaven's Feel, where the role of "hero" and "monster" become reversed, and Medusa (whose story can easily be interpreted as a woman being punished for being raped) becomes a savior figure.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Did they ever actually definitively establish if Medusa has the whole Poseidon rape backstory that Ovid gave her? Or is it more Hesiod's "oh yeah she's some demigod that was always a bit hosed up" from the Theogony?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
In Fate lore the Gorgon sisters were always minor goddesses, and Athena cursed Medusa to be hated by humans out of jealously for unspecified reasons (probably she was too beautiful and well-liked).

Medusa subsequently becoming a monster was her own doing; a result of getting a little too into killing men that came to slay her and "rescue" her sisters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's more the latter, they get into her, Stheno, and Euryale more in Hollow.

I do think she disses Poseidon at some point but the rest of that version of things isn't really implied to my memory.

E: ^ yeah that, although her change is I think part of the curse or just part of the same natural difference between her and the other two as her aging, not a result of the killing

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Asterite34 posted:

Did they ever actually definitively establish if Medusa has the whole Poseidon rape backstory that Ovid gave her? Or is it more Hesiod's "oh yeah she's some demigod that was always a bit hosed up" from the Theogony?

In hollow ataraxia she likes Poseidon and calls him her boyfriend, which... presumably would not happen with the rape backstory.

On the other hand, Saber Medusa apparently hates him and spends time with Caenis talking poo poo about him, presumably due to shared rape by poseidon backstory. But that could just be a gag :shrug: