Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Fangz posted:

I think in comparison to the previous war, the Einzberns are very much a spent force. For the fourth war, they brought together the best Master, the best Servant, a regeneration/shielding artifact capable of tanking Ea, an assassin on the side, and a vaguely cheaty split master thing. Even with Tohsaka also going all out, they pretty much won the war... Except that they were betrayed at the last minute.

Ilya was lucky to have summoned berserker, but she was never designed for this war, and she doesn't represent anywhere near the same degree of commitment Kiritsugu did. I think she was in the end just an attempt to make some use of time-limited assets. Einsbern just wasn't really even trying any more.

well this war was also a huge surprise to everyone it was not supposed to show up for another X amount of years. It seems like everyone was still spent from the last war and just through in whatever they had on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

I'm not a huge fan of stuff like "A+ class magic", "I can recover 6 mana points a day!", "Gilgamesh is using his class ability" etc, it just feels awkward outside of a video game. I can overlook it but I'd still prefer if magic were more mystical and strange. I liked the idea of 'sorcery' vs. regular magic.

Im pretty sure the in universe reason for it being like video games was that shirou is a huge nerd, Doesnt rin see the stats as colors or something close to that?

so the level of abstraction is just how you would best understand (as the mage) the magical servants space magic.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 16, 2014

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Honestly having Avalon put in him which is slowly turning him into swords probably isn't doing much for the mentally stable thing.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

This, at the very least, I don't think is accurate.
I can't read that in any other context other than it trying to showcase that UBW is intrinsic to Shirou's very being and soul, rather than something that naturally "grew" out of his ability to project swords. And since he lost Avalon after Fate, is his Origin/Affinity still the same? Would he somehow lose the ability to project in the first place as a result?

I mean dude got burned by hosed up tainted grail magic fire and then had some sort of end all be all of sheath shoved into him that was made by fairy's and probably not meant to be inside people for like 10 years, I don't think it takes anything away from his character that his ability to have magic at all in a world where magic seems to be waning came from being given a crazy fairy magic sheath that may or may not be trying to turn him into a sword :v: