Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Iretep posted:

If I remember right Tohsaka wasn't really glad at all gil was an archer. As far as the archer class it's a pretty normal class. It's one of the 4 knight classes so they are usually good at the combat but they need to stay at range. I think one of the extra material for zero said that the 4 knight classes had some rock scisor paper logic to them but in reality it seems it never works because all the heroes pull out some bullshit.

Aren't there only 3 knight classes? Saber, Knight of the Sword; Archer, Knight of the Bow; and Lancer, Knight of the Lance. Rider is described as Mounted Warrior, not a knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, I was trying to remember just how much Kirei was bullshitting to Shirou in the church there.

Still, I guess there's no real time for Rin/Shirou and Saber to exchange information about what Kirei told them and what she knows about the 4th War before Ilya and Berserker jump them in the cemetery.

Really looking forward to that fight, btw. Next week can't come fast enough.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Meanwhile Sakura loses both of the pillars of her life and spends the rest of her (arguably brief) life suffering.

You're such a great sister Rin. :thumbsup:

Mild :nws:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere that any one can be summoned as Berserker, getting a tremendous stat boost but losing their sanity in the process.

I thought that a hero had to have a legendary instance where they went crazy in order to qualify as a Berserker?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

jellycat posted:

I finished Fate/Stay Night a few days ago. Every time I think about the Heaven's Feel normal ending enough, I start tearing up again because I'm a crybaby. I'm glad the true ending is mostly pretty happy.

I dipped my toe into Hollow Ataraxia, but I think I'm going to watch Fate/Zero first, because I'd rather end the main Fate stuff on a more pleasant note. I also have Carnival Phantasm prepared for this reason.

Basically I am going to tear through most of the Fate franchise in one month, I guess.

Yeah, HF Normal is pretty downer, especially that music. I remember when seorin got to that point in his LP, and the reactions in thread were pretty sad.

Have yet to do Hollow/Ataraxia, but since the English patch was out a couple months ago, I should probably get on that...

I've watched bits and pieces of Carnival Phantasm, but have yet to see the whole thing. The stuff I did watch was hilarious, though.

Keep on keeping on with regards to getting deeper into the Fate franchise, it really is a great ride.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Aumanor posted:

There's also "Lance of sure hit, shield of no loss", as far as flashy fights go. But what I'm looking forward to the most is "End of a hero".

Cake Attack posted:

i don't remember what either of these are, lol, but they sound epic

I think the former is Archer vs Lancer with thrown Gae Bolg vs Rho Aius, which will be amazing animated.

End of a Hero is when Lancer is told to kill himself via Kotomine's Command Seal, stabs himself, offs Kotomine, scares off Shinji, rescues Rin, and finally starts the fire before dying that burns down Einzbern Castle and drives off Gil when he's about to kill Shirou at the conclusion of his battle with Archer because he doesn't want to get ash on his clothing. I hope they devote the better part of an episode to that entire scene.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

lancer makes diarmud look like such a chump, lol

Yeah, he does. And it's great.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Seriously though Lancer and Fake Assassin are great characters that just get the shortest end of the stick no matter what route they're in.

There's a valid reason why "Being Lancer is suffering" has become such a large meme in the fanbase...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Aumanor posted:

So. It looks like the last episode of this cour will indeed end with that roof scene.

Yeah, that preview all but confirmed it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

Which scene was that again? It's been a while.

This one. Where Rin effectively tells Shirou he's not a Master anymore and that he should give up trying to get Saber back.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought people were exaggerating about the 400 dollar blu-rays. What in the gently caress is wrong with the people who actually buy those and aren't millionaires? Do they think that a spirit version of Saber will visit them in their sleep and shake their hand if they spend enough money on F/SN products?

Otaku will buy anything related to their favorite series, regardless of price. They have more money than sense.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Stevefin posted:

and yes. I hope they do change the wedding dress part, or least make it some one more saner than 'Caster went costume rapey'

The 2nd cour preview showed Saber in what appeared to be the wedding dress, so that's still there.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

legoman727 posted:

When is S2 of UBW starting anyways? March?

The preview at the end of the last episode of the first cour said April.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

New 15 sec CM for the 2nd cour is up:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxDO8LHTswo

Dat Gil and Berserker foreshadowing, along with Ilya. Man, people are going to lose it when Doctor Gil is on the case.

Also, quick shot of Saber in the wedding dress, so that's still in there.

Can't wait until this Saturday... All that HYPE!

And of course the comments for the video are filled with people bitching about the adaptation and dropping spoilers. What I've come to expect from the Type Moon fanbase, but worse due to the nature of YouTube comments...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 2, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

Episode 13 should end with the graveyard scene.
Episode 14 should be on Caster past and evocation.
Episode 15 should have the Berseker/Gil battle and the Ilya flashback

Sounds about right. I keep hearing Episode 15 for when Doctor Gil makes his appearance.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think we're actually going to get the confrontation in the castle next episode, so probably two for that with the reveal at the end of the second. Third ep for the fight itself, four the prep to fight Gil, maybe two more after that for the Assassin and Gil fights? And one more for the ending.

Well, we're definitely getting the title drop next episode, then probably a setup episode where Rin monologues about Archer's backstory via what she's seen and figured out from her dreams and the leadup to the castle fight. One episode for the fight, one for Lancer's rescue of Rin and everything involving the scene in the basement, possibly before the fight itself. Then one episode for the aftermath plus leadup to the last day, prepping for the Gil fight. One to do the Gil Shirou fight, one with Rin and Saber dealing with the Lesser Grail, and then an aftermath episode to close it out? I dunno.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

cool detail giving her Gae Bolg she's the original owner

Scathath, then. Makes sense.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

i went to anime news network's forums for some reason and in the ubw thread

lol

Apparently, that was after 20 pages of comments (at like 15 comments a page) of people arguing back and forth about whether the anime was sexist over one weekend after the review was posted, which is kinda insane... The reviewer for ANN is a film studies major, so she approaches it in a way that pisses off many Fate fans who have their already clearly formed opinions.

For some reason, I decided to get in on the arguing this weekend after a whole thing where the reviewer panned this latest episode and people were going nuts about it. She's clearly skeeved out by a lot of the rabid fanbase Fate has, and really dislikes the way the Shinji attacking Rin scene was done this past episode, calling it titillating fanservice.

Also, the assistant editor of ANN, JesuOtaku, is RGD Internet Critic Discussion thread regular Jay O, and she pretty much hates this show. She and the ANN Executive Editor just put out a 2 and a half hour podcast with a guest Fate fan earlier this week that is pretty negative about Fate/Zero, as well as the fanbase of the show as well. It explains why she never comes by ADTRW though, I guess...

Biggest problem seems to be that the ANN crew have Doylist (as in the out of universe explanation and what led the author to write a story the way he did, aka what Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is thinking when he writes the Sherlock Holmes stories) takes on the show, while Fate fans seem to prefer Watsonian (as in the material provided in universe for explanation, aka what James Watson explains to a reader in Sherlock Holmes stories) interpretations...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Compendium posted:

Really?? I would think that scene wouldn't titillate anyone, people would want Shinji to get punched. Which happened.

Most crit towards the Fate franchise as a whole, I mostly agree with because they aren't baseless and the fandom in general sucks, but sometimes there's just plain misinterpretation.

Read the review. Gabby is pretty down on the episode in general, but she leaves some of the loudest criticism for that scene:

Gabriella Ekens' UBW Episode 19 review posted:

Finally, Shinji's assault on Rin was gross and unnecessary. It wasn't as bad as it could have been (no blushing or squirming), but the shots of him feeling up her legs were clearly meant to titillate the audience. I'd prefer it if my entertainment didn't expect me to derive pleasure from a woman being nonconsensually felt up, thanks. Rin is also strangely limp throughout it. She doesn't struggle or spit in his face, like you'd expect she might. Instead, she's as limp as a log. Normally, she's a very assertive person. I used to think that Shinji was funny, but that was back when he didn't seem like a threat. Please no more rape imagery, UBW.

I hope that this is the worst episode.

I thought that was a given... :shrug:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Stall_19 posted:

Hmmm? They were extremely positive about Fate/Zero. It's the rest of the franchise that they don't like.

The Fate fanbase that it brought along then. I also feel that Hope and Zac had extremely negative readings of some of the characters in Zero in that podcast though.

Silver2195 posted:

I think she feels it was out of character for Rin not to be more defiant there. I get the impression that it's because Rin doesn't even respect/fear Shinji enough to defy him properly; contrast with the way she lets her sharp tongue loose when Kirei shows up.

Yeah, that's my take on it too. Rin doesn't even let her "perfect honor student" facade slip even when Shinji assaulting her because that would mean acknowledging Shinji. But when Kirei reveals himself, she lets loose, and Shinji is shocked.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 18, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Said person actually posts on SA, and has a major cult of personality going in the Critic thread. Because of course.

They're not the same reviewer, actually. Jay O, aka Hope Chapman, aka JesuOtaku, is the Assistant Editor of ANN; Gabriella Ekens, aka Gabbomatic, is the one doing the actual UBW reviews. They have similar opinions though.

I invited Jay O over here to talk about them, but I dunno if she'll take me up on that offer.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

Wait, I'm confused, is the problem with ANN the reviewers, or the forums? Because the ANN forums hate the reviewers too.

Well, guess it could also be both.

It's pretty much both. Like Rodyle said, the forum response thread seem split between those who like the reviews (sizable minority), those who blame the reviewers for being SJWs, those who have general criticism, and those Fate fans who enjoy :spergin: about it.

Rodyle posted:

E: well that answers that, finally, the cross site drama made real, thanks a heap Ghost

Meh, she's got an account here already, might as well make use of it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

So Jay O PM'ed me to decline to respond here personally in this thread, but she's allowing me to post the PMs she sent me as her response:

Jay O posted:

Thanks for the message. Glad you enjoyed the podcast. (Okay, glad you listened to the podcast, and I hope you enjoyed it!)

I may be a goon, but I know better than to post in ADTRW. Nobody cares about ADTRW. I don't think the people who post in ADTRW like ADTRW.

Not that the ANN forums are better or anything, but it's partially my job to monitor and respond to stuff in those. I don't have a lot of choice in the matter, I have to help keep the forums civil on one hand, and on the other hand, it's my home base whether I like it or not (and I usually do, occasional flamewars aside.) It's all direct response on this site to content hosted on this site, and it's the site I work for. So it's different, I guess.

Frankly, dealing with Type-Moon a-holes is exhausting enough between the podcast thread and the ongoing Fate/stay Night episode review thread where people wax rhapsodically about the brilliance of Nasu's rape imagery and Nasu's D&D rulebook and Nasu's god-awful prose in between puffs on their bubble pipe, so I can't imagine what it's like in ADTRW, and I don't have any reason to check or care.

Anyway, you have my permission to post this in that thread if you want! Consider this my response. But no, I don't feel the need to hop into that debate. Fans can get their panties in a wad about my misconceptions all they want. I'm sure I've gotten lots of things wrong about the NASUVERSE, I just don't care. It's not some alternate universe. It's a work of fiction written by a man, and frankly, it does seem pretty incompatible with the other work of fiction written by a different man that we were discussing on the podcast. So much so that Nasu has directly stated that the two works have irreconcilably different Gilgameshes! So yeah.

The franchise is not important to me, for better and worse to its fandom (who by that metric shouldn't care what I have to say at all, but for some reason really seem to, because somebody saying a wrong thing about the Nasuverse is a world-ending calamity.) Anyway. I literally only like Fate/Zero, I am a filthy secondary, and that's all hunky-dory by me. But thanks for the heads-up. :)

Jay O posted:

Follow-up to the previous message: decided to read the thread you were talking about just to see what the tenor of discussion actually was, and it's totally okay in there, I'm not sure what you meant by trouble at the old mill so to speak. Some effortposts saying ANN's pretty okay but the forums suck, some standard SA "lol whatev" shitposting, and an all-around pretty benign, normal-rear end thread. So I don't really think there's anything to respond to!

If there's any confusion about it or anyone cares, I obviously love Fate/Zero, that whole podcast is a giant sloppy love letter to Fate/Zero, but I don't really care about anything else in the Nasuverse, and generally speaking, its fandom is horrible, which makes liking Fate/Zero and trying to discuss it a big pain in the rear end. But that thread seems totally fine.

Still not gonna post in ADTRW, but you can post this as an addendum to the other message I sent you. S'all I have to say about that, womp womp~

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

thanks, i was at the edge of my seat

meh, might as well put it out there since she was nice enough to type it out

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

lol at the new thread title

Welp, at least I had a hand in it

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Stall_19 posted:

I expect the FSN UBW episode review thread at ANN will be interesting to watch these next few days.

Endorph posted:

holy poo poo the ann review for the latest ubw ep is the worst thing ive ever seen

Oh, it's already happened. Like I tried to defend it previously, but reading the latest one just made my eyes roll so loving hard I just couldn't help it. What in the hell am I even reading anymore? I give up; I'd just rather drop the whole conversation and move on...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Compendium posted:

I actually read earlier ANN reviews for the first UBW season because I appreciated the differing view point and if anything I was pleasantly surprised at how fair it was in pointing out the good and bad points of UBW that, you know, actually had to do with what we're watching.

With the recent review, I just feel tired. Maybe it's the dumb hardcore TM fans plus a number of other things, but I don't feel like anyone there is having fun with UBW.

Yeah, I kinda get that feeling too. That thing that Jay O PMed me last week pretty much confirmed it...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'm gonna read all those new posts in the UBW thread

NOT

Namtab got in a whole Unlimited Shitposting Works aria without doubleposting, so there's that, but yeah, that thread really is all the poo poo in the world for last couple of pages.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

unfortunately that meme is p out of date, but last i was on /a/ in like 2011, we were still using it so eh

Yeah, I expected more jokes about "the bar that made him GAR" during the episode in which it was shown, but I guess complaining about the "mana transfer" ritual Rin and Shirou did was more important than that...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

didn't they already change it in realta nua?

I think they turn Sakura into some sort of vampire in RN?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's strange because Gilgamesh should have had Avalon in his Gate of Babylon and known about it as a result; I mean it's the scabbard for Excalibur, and I'm pretty sure Excalibur (and literally every other noble phantasm ever) was in his treasury. It would be one thing if Gilgamesh just had "a whole lot of Noble Phatasms", but he's supposed to have literally every single one with Ea being objectively the best one of all.

I don't think Gil has either Avalon or Excalibur in GoB, since they're made by fairies/the Lady of the Lake. He does, however, have the precursor to Excalibur within his treasury, although it isn't as powerful as Excalibur. Or maybe that was Caliburn...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Watching the trailer, I hate that Shirou sounds way too much like Kirito, and Rin is a lot higher voiced than I expected. Got too used to the Japanese voices after watching the sub and never having watched any of the previous Fate related series dubbed so I have no English basis point to compare this to, I guess.

Wasn't sold on Tang as Archer until this was posted in the SB thread and I heard him doing a pretty good rendition of the Unlimited Blade Works chant, so he might grow into the role and do a lot better than what we heard in the preview: https://soundcloud.com/kaiji-tang/ubw-archer-mix. Apparently, he said on his Twitter that he knows he may not live up to Liam O'Brien's Archer, but he's gonna do his best anyway.

Also, it's really weird hearing Shirou's name said in western order. He'll always be Emiya Shirou to me.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 3, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Welp, apparently from news filtering out of AX, Heaven's Feel will only be one feature length movie... Miura apparently wanted to do a six hour production, but that was nixed.

Not sure how I feel about this, though my hype levels are going way down now...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 3, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Compendium posted:

That is a good and healthy life choice.

Sorry I linked the editor of the ANN reviewer in question (who happens to be the one who posted that stuff in the Internet Critic thread that was linked) to the bad thread when that drama was being discussed then :sweatdrop:

At least we got the current thread title out of it!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Sylphid posted:

And speaking of reviews, it might have been linked here or in the UBW thread, but where was that one website where the author was a total newcomer to the series and ended up liking the show a lot? I'd be interested in reading his impressions of the last few episodes, or the series as a whole now that it's finished.

That was Re-reads and Reviews, and his overall UBW review is what is linked there.

He's currently playing the VN as well, apparently already finished UBW and starting on HF, mentioning a bunch of his thoughts on the Fate route in his UBW anime Epilogue review. Apparently, he's gonna do Zero after finishing the VN, and he's started reviewing the Kara no Kyokai movies recently, finishing the first. He also has some comments on the UBW route of the VN in the comments of that KnK review, though not that much since most of his thoughts on the VN route mirror the ones he had on the anime.

Sylphid posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have anything concrete about how they want to do HF yet. Probably will be a while before we'll hear more news about it. One movie would probably be too little, two movies too much.
Apparently, like I stated two pages back, according to word coming out of the Fate panel they had at AX where the ufotable staff was present two weekends ago, Miura said Heaven's Feel will only be one movie. He was blue-skying a 6 hour movie, but that was shot down.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 15, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Nyaa posted:

The original point of the conversation is whether the deen anime is worth watching and some people try to defend it with needle in the hay arguments either for watching or it deserve merit for the series.

As Judge Nyaa, I declare the following judgement:

Don't watch Deen/Stay Night, but it deserve credit for like two small things.

Popping back into this thread after however long to agree with this. Never saw any of it except the YouTube clip of the Archer vs Berserker fight, felt that was enough. Watched Deen UBW when it first came out, was decent for it's time, had no idea how much better ufotable could do it.

Also, looks like Apocrypha is good and worth watching? Guess I'll catch up on it this weekend, while catching up on Grand Order stuff if possible.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 20, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

So remember when we all laughed at that ANN review that gave this thread it's title? Its author interviewed the President of Aniplex, the Creative Director of Delightworks, and Kawasumi regarding F/GO at AX and tries to low key play down the stuff she said about UBW and Fate in general when asked if she's a Fate fan. People in the comments aren't letting it go though.

Interview here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-31/interview-the-staff-of-fate-grand-order/.119365

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Well, guess that certainly cements buying tickets to go see it when it's being shown in Manhattan next month. Guess I can go buy the ticket tomorrow morning at the box office when I go to the same theater for the Love Live Sunshine Aqours Second Live delayed viewing there.

poo poo, the Saturday showing is the same weekend as AnimeNYC, and I'm working that con. Not sure if I want to do the Monday evening showing instead. Probably can get that afternoon off and get over to the Javits after the movie is over, I hope. gently caress it, gonna buy the tickets anyway and email the volunteer coordinator (who I've worked with at New York Comic Con before she left the company doing that show last year) to see what's up with hours and such. Hyped!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 14, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Just got home from seeing the first Heaven's Feel movie in Manhattan earlier tonight. Just glad I decided to check Village East's Fate ticketing page last night to see if there was anything available, and lo and behold, they had added a 7:45 screening since last I checked on top of the 7pm one I knew was happening tonight that was sold out and I was planning on trying to beg tickets to at the box office tonight. The theater was decently packed for the showing I attended, so that was cool as well.

They also added a bunch of showings on weekdays earlier this week after the premiere last Saturday, but I was working AnimeNYC this last weekend (Peter Tatara is good people, the volunteer coordinator was the first one I worked under at New York Comic Con back in 2010, a lot of the Leftfield staff are mostly convention veterans formerly of ReedPop, and the Con really is going places based off how well the first year went) and couldn't go to that (but still got a ton of swag from their Fate GO localization panel and the cosplay meetup Aniplex did at their booth with great shots of both their official cosplayers and fans, but I was unable to afford any of the merch I really wanted to get there that they were selling, or get a roll on their gatcha for 3, 4, and 5 * Servant Cards that they were doing near the end of each con day because I as needed to help clear the Con floor instead), and tonight was the only time I was already in Manhattan anyway, so decided to take a chance to see if I could get in and was not disappointed.

Mapo tofu scene got a ton of laughs, as did the Bar that made him Gar. Oh, and the Saber/Rider "fight". Huge reaction to Lancer's E rank Luck manifesting itself again and it's inevitable conclusion. Loved the opening montage stuff, especially the first time Kuzuki shows up in it to take the picture with Taiga, Shirou, and Sakura. I think I have way too much Grand Order on the brain because during a bunch of the Servant fights, all I could think about was Servant effectiveness affinities, like how Caster should've been able to take down Assassin real quick and all that. Oh, and RIP Regend, the Savior of France, though no one got that when I mentioned it after the movie was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

Caught my eye in Rome, worth seeing it in the cinema even if I don’t know moonspeak or Italian?

edit: Italian dub only actually!

If you haven't seen it already and know the story of Heaven's Feel, go for it. As said above, the fight animation is glorious, sasuga ufotable.