Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Finally finished up Heaven's Feel. Goddamn that normal ending is depressing as poo poo, but at least it isn't just wish fulfillment generically-happy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BlitzBlast posted:

Are you calling HF True wish fulfillment in a game where UBW Good exists?

I mean, he's stuck with Sakura in HF so I mean, no its not going to be ideal. But still.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

Some people hate Sakura and also hate endings that are even remotely happy, possibly because Cindy never went to the dance with them in high school.

No, its because the Heaven's Feel True End is a Deus Ex Machina.

I'm not entirely sure I understood what was supposed to be occurring to Shirou's body in the HF True End either. Anyone care to explain it?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only part of it which is a Deus Ex Machina is the answer to your second question. Ilya intervening and destroying the Grail to save Shirou makes perfect sense and is foreshadowed to hell and back.

Aozaki Touko constructed him a puppet body and transferred his consciousness to it. She's so good at constructing simulacra that it's literally impossible to tell the real person from the fake, so there's precedent, but it's still a pretty dubious last-minute crossover.

Whether it makes sense or not, Illya using legitimate divine sorcery to make Shirou alive and resolve the plot is still a deus ex. So what exactly was Shirou.....doing before this puppet thing occurred? What was he?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

HF True is basically a massive parallel to the ending of the fourth war, with the significant difference being that Shirou chose to be human. So while Kiritsugu has to deal with a slowly dying body, Shirou has friends who can actually do something about his situation. He's still basically crippled for life and will probably never be able to fight seriously again (just like Kiritsugu!), but that's ultimately for the best.

Rin said he could train to use the Reality Marble in his current form in the HF True end.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

If I remember it right... (also MASSIVE spoilers for UBW obviously}:

He gets the usual introduction in the church.

After Rider is killed, Shinji goes to Kotomine and whines about how its unfair and that he lost only because he got such a lovely Servant. Kotomine "gives" him command over Gilgamesh, basically just because he considers it hilarious. Gilgamesh doesn't really need a Master at this point, so he plays along while doing his own thing.

Caster takes over the church and everyone thinks Kotomine is dead.

During the Archer/Shirou duel, Kotomine suddenly appears in front of captured Rin, together with Shinji and Lancer and reveals that he was Lancers Master all along and pretty much just does stereotypical evil gloating while stating that he will let Shinji rape her. Lancer disagrees, so Kotomine uses his Command Seal and orders him to kill himself. Unlike Diarmuid, Cú Chulainn proves to not be a little bitch and gets up again, kills Kotomine, scares the crap out of Shinji, frees Rin and turns the whole Einzbern mansion into his funeral pyre. :black101:

...and thats it. He is basically non-entity in UBW route.

Kotomine doesn't directly do a lot in any route beyond the forest part of Heaven's Feel.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Myurton posted:

Gilgamesh (Fate route spoilers) was essentially eating people to stay in the world as was found out near the end of the Fate route.

Saber (UBW route spoilers) Yeah Rin just has a poo poo ton of mana or something apparently

Rider (Heavens Feel route spoilers) Sakura is a loving holy grail herself so of course she'd have a near inexhaustible mana supply to keep Rider around

I mean, Sakura has so much mana she has to give it away or disperse it outside of what she gives to Rider. Its probably necessary to maintain Rider just so Sakura can live.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

The Vita remixes are OK. Most are inoffensive and some may even be a bit better. However, some just make you ask "What the hell happened here?"
There will be eventually on the Vita.

I doubt that will exist in English though. I don't think you can get a translation of any T-M stuff legally, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Blhue posted:

While this post is correct, the all ages patches to the English version of F/SN were made by importing stuff from the console ports, so it's far from impossible. It'll likely just take goddamn years unless someone licenses it officially.

If the script is already done it might be faster, but who knows? I think there's a Vita port (with voices a la Realta Nua) for Tsukihime coming too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

There's no Vita port of Tsukihime coming. The only Tsukuhime thing right now is the Remake which we know nothing about beyond basic stuff.

What kind of remake is it then? I thought it was some kind of Vita poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jellycat posted:

His body is "made of swords" after all. Archer's arm was definitely the catalyst for it going out of control in HF, though.

Anyway, in Hollow Ataraxia, Rin jokingly (:airquote:) raises the possibility of Shirou projecting copies of valuable things and selling them and they have a discussion that IIRC concludes that he could fool skilled magi with his projections if they didn't look too hard, with some practice.
So Rin at least believes he could improve his general projection skills as well.

I seem to remember Rin having a zany profit scheme in the ending of Heaven's Feel, too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Just asking for clarification: When Shirou and Kiritsugu have their little chat on the veranda about being heroes, Kiritsugu just fuckin' dies right there, right? That's what it sounded like from the visual novel, but no animated form has ever really made that clear.

I don't' know that it was literally right there, but for all intents and purposes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

You get to see the Archer vs Berserker fight. Archer uses Unlimited Blade Works and has a few dramatic lines during the fight that hint as his identity.

Incidentally, seeing the Archer vs Berserker fight is the only remotely worthwhile part of the DEEN anime.

I think the hints to Archer's identity are so obscure you'd have to already be motivated enough to read the VN to get them. The fact that UBW is Archer's Phantasm doesn't necessarily spoil anything because there's no reason to even know that Shirou can also perform UBW and in fact, he doesn't perform it until after Archer's identity is already revealed.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Uh, she died in two out of three?

I consider Sparks Liner High and the UBW Good Ending to be the canon endings, so she didn't die in any of them. :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

I know Fate is less exciting than the other routes, but you could at least remember the ending.

Okay, you got me. Fate kind of sucks, sorry.

Endorph posted:

an ending where saber has completely lost all will to live and feels that there is no more good left in the world for either sakura or rin is a much happier ending than her just dying like a normal person

I never said SLH was happy.

Twiddy posted:

Isn't she kind of dead in both endings?

Otherwise, I imagine she just chills at Hotel Emiya like everyone else, neglecting to get a job like the deadbeat she is.

I don't think dying as a Servant does anything to her. She just goes back to the hill, as far as I know.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 30, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

Was Assassin guarding the temple gate a command spell order? It's been a while.

From what I gathered, he's not even a "real" servant; he's just an extraordinarily powerful familiar she's calling Assassin while the real Assassin simply never shows up in non-HF routes and Zouken just sits around not doing anything or even being mentioned by his name.

Aumanor posted:

Crossposting this from the UBW thread:

I think you're forgetting the three Command Spells Caster fooled her Master into wasting so that she could backstab him.
At this point the status of Command Spells issued in this war is:
Shirou's x3 all used, contract with Saber broken by Caster.
Rin's x3 2 used, 1 remaining.
Bazett's x3 stolen by Kotomine along with control over Lancer, 1 used to order him to spar with all Servants once, most likely 2 remaining.
Caster's Master's x3 all wasted on trivial tasks, Master himself killed by Caster once he could no longer stop her.
Ilya's x3 most likely all still remaining.
Sakura's x3 1 used to create the Book of the False Attendant to transfer Rider's possesion to Shinji, no idea what might've happened to the other 2.
Caster's... hmm... did she get any Command Spells when she summoned fake!Assassin? Assuming she did, x3 2x3, 1x3 1x1, 3 Command Spells pulled out of her rear end when she bound Saber with a contract, 1 used to order Tohsaka's death, one used to bend Saber's will to Caster's command, currently being resisted.

That gives us 24.

Doesn't Sakura still have the Command Seals? I'm not sure why, but I seem to recall that in HF, Shinji originally loses Rider and then just demands more seals from Sakura.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 30, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I remember a bunch of people hoping that the ufotable adaptation would be Heaven's Feel, but so far, I don't think I've seen many people figure out the big twist in UBW without spoilers. But you'd have to be denser than the bone of Shirou's sword to not figure out the Heaven's Feel twist (the Shadow is Sakura!). Tellingly, Shirou could not figure this out for 2/3 of the loving route.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Its more that the same way Caliburn traces its lineage to older swords, I imagine the idea of "Warrior Who Sleeps Until Is Needed Again" is also one of those recurring legends that those incarnated in the Saber class generally trace their own lineage from.

Yeah precisely. Plus with Nasu/Type-moon writing other alternate works that include some sort of Grail there's probably plenty of places she can show up.

Seems like there's a lot of places Heroic Spirits end up that we just don't see.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

The pole jump is just the dumbest thing

It just got funnier in Prisma Illya when they add a third-girl surreptitiously getting thirsty watching that pole jump.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly I can't see any reason for them to go with the True Ending over the Good Ending. Literally the only difference is that in the True Ending, Rin doesn't keep Saber around.

Especially since they kinda have to go with the good ending for HF and not the normal ending, because the latter skips one of the best fights.

The UBW Good Ending is dumb and just exists as fanservice for people who wanted an ending where they could give Shirou a literal harem.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

is saber even interested in shirou in UBW

Saber is hot for his justice in every route

Clarste posted:

Rin doesn't have an exceptionally huge amount of mana (good for a mage, but not super-awesome), so that just begs the question of why no one else did it earlier, or why Gil needed a special circumstance to explain his existence. Also, I don't think it makes any sense from Saber's perspective to want to stick around. She hasn't gone through her character development in Fate, so she should still be seeking the Grail, which no longer exists in Rin's world. And it's not like she was ever super-best friends with them in UBW: she respects them, but certainly not enough to give up her life's dream for them. The Good Ending of UBW just makes no sense at all.

Again, UBW Good is a fanservice ending. It was very clearly implied that Rin doesn't have enough mana to keep Saber around, she expects Shirou to repeatedly Mana Transfer Dragon both of them until everyone dies of old age or whatever.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 7, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ugh, this isn't true:

Shirou providing his dragon mana is just to help out.

Continue on:

quote:

Look, it certainly is hard for me to maintain Saber by myself. But we have one more magus here. We should be able to maintain Saber with the two of us . . ."

. . .I'll supply Saber with magical energy, so all you need to do is help me. I won't be as bad as Saber, but I'll be at an inconvenience as well."

I don't know what she's angry about, but Tohsaka explains while looking away. Let's put that aside for now.

"…? What do you mean by 'help'?" I address the biggest question I have.

*Rin blushes* "W-well, a lot of things. It's not something I should mention, right?"

Even if you assume Rin has all the magic, it doesn't even matter. The point is that UBW Good is a dumb fanservice harem ending where Shirou has to repeatedly pork one or both of them to assist in sustaining Saber's existence.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i'm glad shirou is getting laid, he's a good guy

This is why UBW is clearly the best route. Even the awful Nasu sex-scene in that route manages to end up just being funny.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

That was the fan theory I've heard. Fun enough, the OVA for Carnival Phantasm has a skit with a giant Grail-possessed Illya bemoaning her lost route. :v:

Mercifully, the abandoned route wasn't THAT kind of route. It was just an "explore her backstory" route; most of which ended up going into Heaven's Feel.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

F/SF - There's more Sabers incoming and you know it (I know nothing about the series and I know this).

As an aside, I just realized the UBW anime is getting perilously close to the Mana Transfer Dolphins. :ohdear: This is gonna get weird one way or another. Comedy option: just have the scene straight from the VN, since it is, as previously stated, hilarious.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Compendium posted:

Fade to black and the next scene is Rin raging at Shirou like she did in the VN it'd be great.

Maybe they can finally address why Shiro didn't just go to the drug store for some, er, supplies which would have made it 10 billion times less awkward for everyone involved.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

shirou: sex... makes babies... *clenches fist*

All I'm saying is that some lube, condoms and cigarettes for afterwards would have resulted in 30 less paragraphs of Nasu making mollusk comparisons.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

It seems like using a condom would be against the spirit of a mana-transfer sex ritual.

You would think pulling out for a money shot would be against the spirit of a mana-transfer sex ritual too.

(Its not a mana transfer sex ritual, its a contract-creating ritual, which in full Nasu logic, requires emotional intimacy, not fluid transfer).

Beef Waifu posted:

No it wouldn't, don't lie to yourself.

...yeah, probably. It probably would have also ruined the only redeeming part of it, which is that its awkward and hilarious.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rodyle posted:

That's why it's the whole back tattoo thing now.

I'm okay with them doing that, they just need to invent some greater stakes for it, because it comes off as an asspull solution to just say "Rin can give Shirou mana without any consequences." They could just say it will also kill Rin if Shirou dies while using her mana or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Added spoiler tags. :v:

Seriously though, I didn't think it was significantly creepier than the discussion people were already having.

It really isn't. What Nasu actually wrote into the game (for the equivalent of several pages per heroine) is about a billion times creepier.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 14, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

like, the very first one is loving terrible but most of the ones with sakura... kinda work? like they at least don't feel gratuitous iirc (bear in mind i haven't played f/sn in full in god drat years) which beats the other two routes

They are actually super gratuitous, its just that there are so many of them in HF that even Nasu gets tired of writing about it so they switch from being essays about pots of meat to just being like "then we hosed and I went to bed."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

They're insanely gratuitous and I take away points from all of them being plot relevant, because that makes them worse.

Luckily for ufotable I think the UBW stuff is easily the least plot relevant. They could easily retcon the mana contract-ritual into basically anything, even just a deep kiss (its anime and kissing is the same thing as graphic sex to most anime teenagers).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

Don't forget their friends, enemies, and everyone in between teasing them about it! That's important too.

Hell, in H/A they take poo poo about it from themselves from alternate dimensions. Yes, property destruction is involved.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They had the Emiya remix in the last episode. For like 8 seconds.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The problem with listening to any particular community is that they're usually dumb and insular and think that they have some kind of monopoly on taste.

An obvious, on topic example in anime is that many forum communities believe Type-Moon and Fate/stay night are unpopular and ill-received, despite every available piece of evidence suggesting that F/SN is among the most popular franchises around and that people obviously enjoy it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Weird question - is the Jeweled Sword from Heaven's Feel a Noble Phantasm?

How do they eve determine what is a noble phantasm anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I believe Bazett is the only known instance of a "modern" NP user.

I guess you could technically count Shirou.

The epilogue is gonna be depressing as hell. Because poor Rin basically gets permanently stuck with a humorless guy she's known for all of 2 weeks. Of course, if you take her H/A future-self telephone call seriously, I guess she doesn't mind.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 22, 2015