Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I thought the VN thread was banned forever

I'd be very surprised if this thread doesn't get gassed as soon as UBW ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Aumanor posted:

The point is that until the end of the third dream, it seems that it's Shirou who's dreaming, not Rin.

I mean, would it really screw anything up if they just made it obviously Rin's dream from the start?

e: Archer vs Shirou would work perfectly if they made Shirou's inner dialogue narration or rewrote it as a back-and-forth between the two.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 12, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The best one doesn't have "BAD END" or "DEAD END." It's just "END." :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znmECWz-8MI&t=429s

e: I actually forgot the most stupidly :black101: thing about HF (and hoo boy there's a lot): the fact that Shirou is literally made of swords by the end. They don't really do a great job showing that in the VN but holy god drat it's going to be insane animated.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 14, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, Kotomine literally ripped an oak tree out of the ground with his bare hands in F/Z, it's not as if doing completely insane bullshit feats of strength is abnormal for him. :v:

That fight is still probably the best thing Nasu has ever written, though. After 40+ hours of silly DBZ poo poo with magic powers, the final climactic battle of the VN is just two dying men beating the living gently caress out of each other with their bare hands.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The only downside to the final battle in Heaven's Feel is that it makes the one in Fate just seem laughable in retrospect.

You also have to keep in mind that the final battle in Fate is a third of the way through the VN. It's the climax of the route, whereas the HF one is the climax of the entire VN.

e: Also, Rin's situation is actually pretty lovely too. She's almost entirely socially isolated (she has literally two friends up to the start of the VN), and rather than being raised like a normal person she's been groomed since early childhood to play DBZ Highlander and most likely die horribly for the sake of making her long-dead daddy proud. It's significantly better than Sakura's backstory, yeah, but the point wasn't that they were equally bad, it was that Sakura saw Rin's life as absolutely perfect and assumed Rin didn't give a flying poo poo about her when neither of those were actually true.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 14, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Myurton posted:

Actually in the play asia and vita version they do a better job of this actually showing his body having swords sticking out of it emanating from his left arm.

I played it years ago with the Realta Nua patch that added most of the extra stuff and didn't really see anything like that (with the exception of that bit in the Kirei fight), but maybe it's been added since or my memory's foggy.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I still can't understand why everyone hates Sakura so much. She's the most believable love interest for Shirou out of the three, HF is pretty much the best route aside from it dragging a bit in the middle (and holy loving poo poo does the end make up for it), and she's the only one of the three female protagonists to actually have human flaws instead of being Takeuchi's perfect tailor-made waifu like Saber or a semi-generic tsundere like Rin.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, he tried to rape Rin in UBW. It's not as if he acts that different in HF, he just has an easier target.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Tsukihime manga owns in case anyone was wondering

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah. It wasn't any less silly in the original.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Anyone who doesn't like Gil is a busta. :colbert:

I was going back and reading the LP of :fsn: to jog my memory since it's been like 4 years (jesus christ it's honestly hard to believe it's been that long), and honestly the thing that jumps out at me the most so far is that Fate isn't that bad. It's the worst route of the VN, but that's less of a statement on Fate's quality, and more of one on UBW and HF's quality; there's a lot of really great scenes in there.

Like Shirou beating the gently caress out of Shinji.

(Speaking of, why the hell does Shirou just abruptly start melting after he hits the ground in this bad end? :psyduck: The only thing that makes even a little sense is Avalon kicking in and trying to heal him, but it doesn't sound anything like the other times they bring that up.)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How much does the full version of RN actually change?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hommando posted:

I don't know the context of this conversation, but that's pretty sad. Shinji is so lovely that Sakura doesn't consider him family.

I, uh, have you played HF?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Scrree posted:

The context of that scene is (spoilered because it's a pretty good joke in H/A) Sakura, Illya, and Saber are having a 'Best Little Sister for Shirou' contest with Taiga and Rin judging. The main gag is that Illya is unexpected bad, Saber unexpected good, and Sakura says things that are a step too dark or gets interrupted/harassed by Rin. Also, everyone's somewhat drunk.

So her saying "If I had an older-brother' does not mean she has disowned Shinji.

Also, she doesn't have an older brother, she has an older sister.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

jellycat posted:

This sounds like doujin material if I've ever heard it. Shirou learns to cook mapo tofu the way Kotomine loves it, he moves in. This is how alt-universe BL Fate/stay night goes down.

BL aside, I'd be down for a gag manga where Shirou masters Chinese food and Kotomine just drops Rin like a leper and decides that Shirou's his pupil now (and also his roommate).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Berserker is Gordon Ramsay. :haw:

e: motherfuck I wish I could draw, I would do up Iron Servant in a heartbeat.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
...what am I looking at there, exactly?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You probably should have screencapped some of that, then. :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I wouldn't say her existence is that big of a spoiler. If they ask, and they're playing the VN, just tell them it comes up in HF.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

Agreed, the shadow and Dark Sakura are the biggest reveals of HF. Just like 'Shirou is the red man' from UBW.

Yeah, I guess it's a bigger deal since it has the shadow and whatnot. I forgot that was actually a big mystery in the early bits of HF.

That said, if they watched Fate/zero, they've already had basically the entire reveal spoiled for them. :v:

(I have to wonder about the cross section between people who watched F/0 before reading the VN and people who don't like the first half of HF. It's gotta be pretty big.)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I'm replaying Fate at the moment and god there is so much :techno: BS at the start. "Ghost Liner", what the gently caress, I don't think I've ever heard that before anywhere else in the franchise. This isn't that complicated you don't need to keep inventing make believe phrases and words.

The cool thing about Nasu technobabble is that while his explanations are stupidly overcomplicated and long, the way things actually work in the narrative is generally pretty intuitive, so whenever poo poo like that happens you can basically just hold ctrl until people start saying actual words again.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I remember Saber getting turned into a damsel in distress and Caster acting rapey towards her as being basically the dumbest thing in the entire VN, H-scenes included. Let's hope this at least tries to handle it better. :smith:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also they play Emiya during the Archer vs. Berserker fight, which may inherently be a spoiler if he recognizes it, and I think the ED for that episode just straight up spoils it iirc.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

But she didn't die in the majority of the routes.

Uh, she died in two out of three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It just clicked for me that Fate is basically just anime Bill and Ted. The Grail is Rufus.