Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I do like how the Grail was never actually used even before it was corrupted. The first and second they gently caress it up and then the third time they really, really gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Tsubame Gaeshi ruled hard and perfectly conveyed the 'what the gently caress was that'-feeling you think it'd make. The pre-death image Saber saw/felt makes me think of Gae Bolg more though since that's a causality-breaking weapon and the TG just bends physics/time.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I played the PSP Extra and just could not enjoy the combat system at all and found the Moon Cell school a very boring setting compared to Fate-proper, so I gave up on that sub-franchise. Sexuality is a super-interesting topic but one that games rarely do well, and while I'd trust Nasu to approach it better than most god drat that is an uphill battle.

like don't get me wrong I play Puzzle and Dragon so glass houses and stones etc, but some of these servants are a level beyond :v:

edit:

Ashsaber posted:

I do like that the Sakura clones' designs can all just be chalked up to Moon A.I. Puberty and body issues
Is that one of her story beats in Extra/CCC? Sounds legit.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 25, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Has anyone read Apocrypha and how well does it fare for the series if the anime is following that plot? Fourteen servants plus associated masters and supporting ensemble seems a hell of a cast, even if we assume most of them are gonna be cannon fodder.

Hopefully if they are just animating everything we get Strange/Fake at some point because that setting fuckin' rules.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Strange Fake manga is really good if you enjoy smug mages getting loving owned constantly.

Like, nothing is going right for any of them, at all.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It feels like that would have been a good role for Maiya if they had used her more. Her absolute devotion steadily being worn away over the course of the series could have been interesting, culminating with her defending Iri not because she had been ordered to by her master but because she wanted to protect her friend.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All I know about FGO is that Spartacus needs to stop smiling like that.

I'm almost at the end of Orleans and it's pretty cool, looking forward to what people have said is better plot that comes later. I wish the Servant art had tried more to keep a unifying style like FSN/Zero/Extra had but whatever I'll just not use them. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm not sure if it's confirmation bias but I can almost feel the animations getting better as I leave Orleans. Lotta shared movesets in these early/cheap servants.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah it's really obvious when you compare stuff like Spartacus/Leonidas to the new Cu Chulainn/Emiya so it's cool they're doing that.

I'd be further into the storyline but I got distracted by dailies to try and chain rank-ups for more AP, so yeah I guess this game got me pretty good. :v:

Sylphid posted:

They should rework Lily's animations. OG and Alter Saber have already gotten a reworking, so it just feels mean to leave her out in the cold like that, even if she's not a terribly widely-used Servant.
Saber Lily is my girl and I love her. Nothing to do with the fact she's my only Saber

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Plutonis posted:

Extella coming to PC in 3 weeks, same release day as the Switch version.
I really wish the Warriors game was set in the regular Fate world or some kind of mashup of it, I dislike the Extra setting. :(

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sylphid posted:

Yeah, unless you want to go all super wacky time like CCC, there's really not much more that could be done in the EXTRA series at this point.
Extra's Earth is already halfway to being a Land of Steel so they could finally go and give us some real Notes-based content. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I could have swore at one point the backstory for EMIYA was that he was the result of an 'Illya route bad end' but according to the fan wiki nah he was just from a slightly weirder Fate route. The former would have been a way better origin for him though and would probably account for the godlike self-loathing needed for that kind of thing.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 7, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The only parallel dimension that should be allowed in fiction is a single other world where everyone is evil and has a goatee. :colbert:

My enjoyment of overall TM is less of references or connections but the sheer depth of the thing. You can stay at the shallow end of the stuff where everything is pretty simple but still extremely cool concepts of grail wars using ancient heroes, and vampires vs demons vs the secret catholic church, or you can head right down into ~xXx~Deepest Lore~xXx~ of the Greater Grail System, the Counter Force, the true Magics vs regular magecraft, and the Brunestud lineage/goal.

KnK shed some light on those other mages who are all trying (obsessively, destructively, catastrophically) to reach the Root and as much as I enjoy Fate's focus on the Einzbern's grail I want to see how other mages are doing it, since it's such a huge driving force behind everything in the mythos. Spiral Nemesis gave us a man who had locked an entire compartment complex away from the gaze of Alaya, scrawled magic over every surface, and made them endlessly repeat a single awful day to send humans into a depressive cycle that would open a path to it. More poo poo like that please.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Shirou is 100% househusband material.

edit; dont leave your tabs open folks

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Endorph posted:

the nasuverse lore i want expanded on is a game where i get to pat satsuki on the head
bad end

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The FNS Let's Play done an age ago loving ruled and it's a shame you get either the archived version (which is basically just a read-through of the thing) or the thread with commentary but no images.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's been a long while since I checked but wasn't UBW vs GOB described as a literal rain of blades against each other that continuously fall even when they're in melee, rather than the way they've always animated it which is like a dozen vs a dozen? I don't think there'd be enough budget in the world.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
UBW was so fuckin' good yo. I can't wait for Heavens Feel.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Extella heavy on plot like every other piece of Type Moon medias? I hear it's a fairly average Musou game but if it can compensate with a bunch of story and poo poo I'd considering it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Eeeeeeeeh I think I've had enough of those two.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Master selection process outside of the founders is apparently unknown but It'd be pretty funny if Justeaze as the core was choosing Masters most likely to gently caress with the ritual and get the whole thing over with.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I was under the impression Aoko could do pretty much whatever she wanted since Blue lets her move events around in her own personal timeline. Didn't she already use it to say "when am I most powerful? In a decade? Okay I'm moving that to 'now' instead."

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I assumed that would be the case. Presumably future Aoko is gonna have a rough time at some point if anyone figures that out.

Most of Aoko's stuff is in Mayoho right? I only know of her appearances in Tsukihime and MB.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"I like swords, they're comfy and easy to use." - Emiya Shirou, 20XX.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Randallteal posted:

If someone compiled all of the posts, comments and tweets from the last two years kvetching about how it's actually only pretty bad writing and misogyny, do you think it would be longer than the VN?
Normal brain: Nasu is a bad writer
Big brain: Nasu is a good writer
Powerful brain: Nasu's concepts are so large his writing has trouble communicating them.
Galaxy brain: Nasu is a bad writer, and that's good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
People who played Mahoyo: Was there an explanation for who the red-cloaked figure at the Swirl of the Root was?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Aoko's granddad got there and out again so he managed to get past it, and whoever created the First Magic did so as well. Maybe if your magecraft is so good that you're essentially knocking on the root's gates you know the counterforce is coming and can prepare to fend it off.

Assuming it worked as intended the Grail War probably could have done it, since the wish would basically be "I wish I was at the root" (or if you were an Einzbern "I wish I had back the parts of the Fourth Magic I lost") and it would just happen, not giving Alaya or Gaia a chance to stop them.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
[image of red-cloaked person shaking fist angrily at sky]

i'll get you next time pesky mages

next tiiiiiiiime

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

YggdrasilTM posted:

The "immortality" part of the research was only to have enough time to complete this REAL research.
Also Zouken's rationale as I recall. I'm beginning to detect a trend.

Trihugger posted:

And then there is Rin who fantasizes about using 3 different pseudo-True Magics and the strongest familiar in the world to beat the poo poo out of all the mages and take their money.
Rin is our girl.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I liked the older Arcueid design with the non-fetish sweater and the long flowing skirt, that poo poo looked badass animated in Melty Blood. That's my opinion about Tsukihime.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Child-Gil is a good kid and Caster-Gil has mellowed the gently caress out, I guess it's bad luck Tokiomi summoned him when he was a massive piece of poo poo.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Space Flower posted:

yeah, now it's mashu
I'm still not sold on Mash. Her design sucks, her writing in FGO so far hasn't been great and her introduction in the comic was even worse. People tell me this will change in later singularities but the writers have some work to be doing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Gotta be more than cute to survive in the cut-throat world of FGO. :colbert:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Rodyle posted:

I just think she's boring and also she and Roman were very rude to Da Vinci, who is way cooler than they are!!!
my brother

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Did Tokiomi know about Zouken's 'methods' when he handed Sakura over? Trying to rank a bunch of Worlds Worst Dads in this hell-franchise. So far I can think of;

Zouken (no poo poo)
Kotomine (v. bad)
Tokiomi (possible)
Makihisa Tohno (adoptively)
The Strange/Fake couple who turn their daughter into a comatose womb.

Must be others. Kiritsugu may be disqualified by virtue of doing all his rotten poo poo before he saved Shirou, or was he still a Bad Dad because of not stealing Ilya and getting the gently caress outta dodge while he still had a chance?

No clue about moms, they seem to just die a lot.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Carnival Phantasm 2: Grail-kun's Day Out

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Good parents: The Mackenzies.

Bad child: Waver Velvet

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Since he can cast spells I theorise that he can be summoned as Caster too and just throws broken phantasms at people shouting "LIGHTNING BOLT".

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

It's also possible Emiya as a saber is HF Shiro where his body starts becoming swords.

Or it's Demi-Servant Shiro fused with Muramasa.
I have to believe we'll get a Shirou somehow in FGO eventually whether as EMIYA-Lily or a demi-servant with some notable historical sword-dude.

Waver was there from day one and Rin is hanging out in JP, where's our good boy who just wants to be a hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's a sweet decision, since we already got a great Saber/Berserker fight in UBW.