Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Ho ho ho! Hello boys and girls! As requested by our international contingent, this year's signups are going to be earlier - that way, with luck, everyone can get their holiday treats while it's still the holidays.

Are you interested in sending and receiving some food-related cheer this non-denominational winter holiday celebration season? If so, here's what you should do:

1. Send an email to me - my username is the same in gmail. In that mail provide ALL of the following:
  • Your SA username
  • Your address. Please format this address in a manner that will ensure the package actually makes it to you. If possible, keep it to no more than five lines since that's how many lines my spreadsheet allows before it shits itself.
  • A list of any allergies, strong food aversions, eating restricitons (celiac, diabetic, vegetarian/vegan, etc.), or other factors that might influence your ability to consume/enjoy whatever Santa sends you.
  • Whether you would accept homemade goodies of prefer store-bought local specialties (as always, GWSers make way better stuff than stores - but suit yourself).
  • Whether you would prefer Local (in-country for US; Canada or US for Canadians; as close as possible for all others) or International shipping. Please note International shipping can get a little expensive and there's no shame requesting a target you can actually afford to send food. Volunteering to endure the trials of International shipping will not guarantee you will have an International Santa, but it does give you a chance.
  • If you like, write a little note to Santa. This portion is required if your username is Happy Hat, because fully half the joy I derive from holding this every year is getting to read and pass on his wisdom to a lucky Santa.
2. Post in this thread to announce your participation. If you don't do this, you will be removed from the Santa pool before assignments go out.
3. Wait (im)patiently until signups close. After that I'll assign Santas and let you know where to point your package of delicious charm.
4. Prepare a basket of holiday goodies for your assigned asantazation target and send it to them. Please try for delivery by New Year's Day, 2015 - nobody likes Christmas with Cupid.
5. When your package from Santa arrives, photograph the contents and share your joy with the thread! Please do this. It's always more fun than not posting.

Gift Guidelines

If you haven't done one of these exchanges before, first of all, welcome! Here are some things to keep in mind when participating in a GWS-themed exchange:
  • We're a cooking forum, so something food-themed is most appropriate. We strongly recommend edible things (and sharing the recipes for those things if they're homemade), but if you have another kitchen-inspired idea that you're sure will work, run with it.
  • You can send store-bought or homemade things unless your target requests store-bought.
  • Try to send things your target would like to eat. This means honoring any dietary limitations they may have and avoiding things that might cause anaphylaxis. If you have any doubts about something, you can email me or PM me and I'll ask your target for you.
  • If you're sending store-bought goodies, try to aim for around $25 worth of stuff.
  • If you're sending homemade goodies, use common sense and send a good amount of stuff.
  • Once again, try to have your gift delivered by January 1st, 2015.

The Grinch Rule

If you sign up for GWS Secret Santa and do not send goodies to your assigned target, you will be banned. If you re-register, I may keep banning you until you've spent more on re-registrations than you would have just sending a gift. Last year we had a perfect record and I was a very happy cooking forum moderator. It would be a very nice present indeed for the same to happen this year.

Signups will close at 11:59pm on Sunday, November 2nd. Santas will be assigned and informed by Wednesday, November 5th. I realize that's an earlier timetable than originally discussed, but I'll be doing some traveling that makes it difficult to post anything - let alone send out a bunch of emails - when I'd originally envisioned doing the assignments. Earlier dates are probably better for our international crew anyhow.

Allez noel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

What has been the breakdown between people sending astounding works of art and people sending home made things that mean well but don't necessarily blow anyone's socks off?

Edit: this sounded more sad than I meant. I just wanted to know how crazy people typically go.

nuru fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 12, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On a scale of 1-10? Maybe 1.3, at worst.

I've emailed you barto :3:.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've never been disappointed by homemade stuff. It has always been rad as hell.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm way into this. Hopefully my sant-ee won't mind whatever terrible food I make.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Had a lot of fun doing this last year, whomever I get this year will get similarly awesome goodies!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I'm there!

Surströmning for everyone!!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I am most definitely in again this year. Excited!!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in again this year, always get awesome stuff from you guys.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

In.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Email sent. Thanks for organizing this again!

the anti femi nazi
May 30, 2007
Email sent! I love doing this every year so thank you for setting this up.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I'm in if you can give me someone in NYC who just wants me to give them booze.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

In. I'll be emailing tonight.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hail Santa.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I haven't done this for a couple of years so I'm in.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
HAIL SANTA.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Message sent. Looking forward to this again.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.
I'm so in. I've been planning on giving out an amazing discovery ive made recently to all my friends and family this year.

I'll be happy to fill up another jar.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I was lazy and just forwarded Bart my email from last year, which also allowed me to note that this is my fifth year in this exchange. Awesome things every year, though last year I had a coworker secretly eat most of the Australian macadamia nut butter that I received. I had brought it to work for toast and snacktime, and left it unattended in the fridge for about 2 weeks. I have learned that a 7 person office does not guarantee food security :(

Phaxtor
Sep 18, 2014

by XyloJW
Email on the way. This fits perfectly with what I was doing gift wise this year :D

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In the spirit of that other fat beardy bastard, I'm in. If I can figure out how to ship it, someone's getting something really fun I've had resting for six months this year. :getin:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 25, 2014

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I have emailed you Bart. Looking forward to this!

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
in as always despite being sparse on here recently.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's okay, GWSSS is always an opportunity for MIA spoongoons to turn up and send someone a spicy ham or w/e.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Oh hell to the yes! Emailing as soon as I stumble home from this party!

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
Woo! Glad I didn't miss sign-ups!

In again, for the third year running, and have some more harder to find outside of Japan (but actually useful) things ready to go!

artichokeyou
Jul 1, 2010
I'm in!

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009
Getting in on this.

deathrat
May 25, 2010
Signing in!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Working on assignments now. One or two of you failed to provide some necessary information. Please check your emails in case it's you.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

:siren: Some of you are bad at following directions :siren:

The following people have posted in this thread but NOT emailed me:

Happy Hat
Manuel Calavera
nuru
Turkeybone

Please email me ASAP or I may be forced against my will to exclude you from the exchange.

The following people have emailed me but NOT posted in this thread:

hoshkwon
Unexpected Road

Please post in this thread noting your participation or I may be forced against my will to exclude you from the exchange.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I totally emailed you October 12th. :colbert:

Emailed again just to make sure.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm working on assignments now but given the above people who still haven't done everything they need to there's probably going to be a Bonus Round of late assignments. If you're one of the people who need to email me please remember to send all of the information requested. If you need to post in here post in here. Both steps must be completed for me to give you an assignment.

Even if you've participated in the past you need to send me your address again. I take your privacy seriously and delete all information as soon as the last gift arrives every year.

Manny, check your email.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 5, 2014

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
Posting here on request by bartolimu. Really excited for this year's SS!

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this
Hurr de durr durr forgot to post in here. I hope my santee likes spicy things

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Assignments postponed until tomorrow morning so a couple of stragglers can finish the registration process and so I can go out to have a pint of newly-tapped beer. They'll be done and out by 10:00 Pacific. If anyone fails to complete all the steps in time I'll have some kind of bonus round assignment once I'm back near computers, but by then it won't be Nice And Early like people were hoping for.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apologies again for being dumb and missing things.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Most assignments are going out RIGHT NOW OHMYGOD CHECK YOUR EMAILS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The first round of assignments are finished. If you have not received an emailed assignment, you were selected for the Bonus Round Assignments to be done once I'm back in civilization. Please do not be discouraged by this; there are some excellent people in this pool, some of whom I held back to make sure there would be a vigorous exchange of goods in both pools.

• Locked thread