Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It's 100 bucks(or 90 with the rumored coupon/amazon pricing). They apparently fixed the software issues for the US release because every upcoming and previous game will work for it.

Yeah it's a screenless consolified Vita that you plug into your TV and play Vita games on. But 100 bucks for a console with a somewhat unique library is not bad. Tales of Hearts R and the new Project Diva are coming for it.

It has a shitload of anime games, like not since the Neo geo Pocket color has a system had 90% all anime games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

does it also do the original psp games

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

does it also do the original psp games

Not the UMDs, the only physical carts it will take are the vita ones.

But it will play the digital downloaded PSP games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does it play ps4 games streaming like a real vita?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

I don't know it would be useless for me since it's going to go into the same TV as my PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't know it would be useless for me since it's going to go into the same TV as my PS4.

it would be cool to bring low res diablo to a friends house or hotel that way

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

The Taint Reaper posted:

But it will play the digital downloaded PSP games.

i'm gettin hard

i'm thinkin i know what i'm gettin fer christmas

hows the digital psp library - can i get a buncha obscure stuff or is it just god of war and resistance

edit: oh oh oh can it also play downloaded ps1 games?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

matrix ripoff posted:

i'm gettin hard

i'm thinkin i know what i'm gettin fer christmas

hows the digital psp library - can i get a buncha obscure stuff or is it just god of war and resistance

edit: oh oh oh can it also play downloaded ps1 games?

You can get a lot of games but not all of them.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i'mma need me a full list before i commit fully to this thing

like, the entire NIS library would be a good start

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

how long will it take to root?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I've never owned a Sony console but for 100 dollars I just might have to get that

Does the vita have anything notable aside from Persona 4 and Dongle Rumpus

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tales of Hearts R, project Diva, Deception 4, Ys

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

It also has Senran Kagura, Disgaea 4, the Atelier games, several good Monster Hunter clones, and some decent to okay dungeon crawlers.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've never owned a Sony console but for 100 dollars I just might have to get that

MH Frontier G is supposed to be coming

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

yep

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
so if this thing has no compatibility issues then how is it going to run something like tearaway

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

It also has Senran Kagura, Disgaea 4, the Atelier games, several good Monster Hunter clones, and some decent to okay dungeon crawlers.

the atelier games are just lovely ports of the ps3 ones, not really a strong selling point

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

matrix ripoff posted:

so if this thing has no compatibility issues then how is it going to run something like tearaway

You play using the PS4 or PS3 controller

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

the atelier games are just lovely ports of the ps3 ones, not really a strong selling point

I thought they were decent ports, but I wasn't aware they had PS3 versions. I think the Vita library is pretty strong, even without them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

I thought they were decent ports, but I wasn't aware they had PS3 versions. I think the Vita library is pretty strong, even without them.

yeah im not out for the vita's blood or anything, just can't really recommend the vita versions if you have the choice

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

The Taint Reaper posted:

You play using the PS4 controller it comes with.

so there's going to be controller inputs that emulate the touch controls - good good good

christ, who knows; this might pull the vita out of tailspin

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Oh wait it's coming tomorrow I thought the date was November 14th, but it's October 14th.

matrix ripoff posted:

so there's going to be controller inputs that emulate the touch controls - good good good

christ, who knows; this might pull the vita out of tailspin
The controller bundle comes with the PS3 controller not the PS4 I was wrong.

But it can stream PS4 games.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh wait it's coming tomorrow I thought the date was November 14th, but it's October 14th.

!!!

edit: here's a list of games compatible with it

seriously can't believe that crash bandicoot and spyro aren't on the ps1 list - kinda dampens it for me. i was hoping to import my psn library to the pstv

although all the disgaea games are on it

eh... i dunno

edit: tearaway isn't on that list either so i guess the touchscreen-intensive games are off the plate too

matrix ripoff fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 13, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
so when you say it can play downloaded psp games, does that mean it just pulls them off your psp or do you have to log onto the store with the TV?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

matrix ripoff posted:

edit: tearaway isn't on that list either so i guess the touchscreen-intensive games are off the plate too

It's coming in a firmware update because they're going to get the touch controls working. I Can't remember if it's the Terraway PS4 port though or the Vita version.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i'll get hype about this thing again when sony puts their entire ps1 library on the fucker AND makes all vita touchscreen games compatible

also there's a shitload of psp games that should be on that list - the sheer number of exclusives the psp had was incredible considering how much it lagged behind the 3ds

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

There will probably not be 100% PSP compatibility anytime soon. Sony did a good job of getting most of the games working and then apparently gave up.

darealkooky posted:

so when you say it can play downloaded psp games, does that mean it just pulls them off your psp or do you have to log onto the store with the TV?

If it's like the Vita, and I assume it will be, then you can log into the store via the console. You can download any game that you have already purchased on the store, or transfer them from a PS3.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

matrix ripoff posted:

i'll get hype about this thing again when sony puts their entire ps1 library on the fucker AND makes all vita touchscreen games compatible

also there's a shitload of psp games that should be on that list - the sheer number of exclusives the psp had was incredible considering how much it lagged behind the 3ds

They're dicking around with their PS1 library for the PS4, I imagine that's what's holding it up since streaming is apparently a big deal. Which means once streaming works for the PS4 the Vita will get it.

Honestly I only want one to play JRPGs and anime games. That and I still have all my physical copies of PS1,PS2, and PSP games. Outside of Suikoden 1 and 2 there's nothing really that I want to download that I don't already have.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

i shall be buying this, for i am a pathetic contard. chers ops

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

so it's the Ouya but with actual games on it

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

zen death robot posted:

Would you compare the vita to an android phone ?

screenless consolified Vita that you plug into your TV and play Vita games on
screenless consolified Android that you plug into your TV and play Android games on

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

is this thing a standalone or do i have to get a ps4 along with it? i want to get my dangan ronpa on and this might be my ticket

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 13, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

is this thing a standalone or do i have to get a ps4 along with it? i want to get my dangan ronpa on and this might be my ticket

It's entirely stand alone, you might just need a PS3 controller and that would be it.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's entirely stand alone, you might just need a PS3 controller and that would be it.

I would hope this device comes with a controller i.e. the thing you need to interact with the device.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Cool. I get to play some of the Vita games I was vaguely interested without actually getting a Vita.

no seriously a cursory search on amazon gives me like $250 for the cheapest one

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Machai posted:

I would hope this device comes with a controller i.e. the thing you need to interact with the device.

it does but it's like 30 dollars more. That's the Deluxe package.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
"Some fans have spoken out in defense of this game, saying that every time you play it, it's different. Kind of like how every time I take a poo poo it's different!!"
-Angry Video Game Nerd, E.T. Atari 2600 review

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

it does but it's like 30 dollars more. That's the Deluxe package.

Ok that makes more sense. People that already have a controller can save some money.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
viral marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Dexters Secret posted:

screenless consolified Vita that you plug into your TV and play Vita games on
screenless consolified Android that you plug into your TV and play Android games on

i spend thirty dollars on a handheld and get one game i'll throw away after i get bored of it

i spend thirty dollars on my smartphone and i have a shitload of games to get bored with and throw away later

• Locked thread