Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am pretty sure that the time measurements (years, etc) are kept consistent with ours for narrative reasons. There is nothing stopping you from going whole hog on your fantasy world and designating weird moon cycle lengths and years and whatever, but mostly what you end up doing is generating a lot of confusion for your readers for not really very much benefit. No one is going to remember that a 'moon's turn' is actually 38 days and you wanted ten of those to your year, so you just end up frustrating people. When you tell your readers that someone is 16 years old, that means a very definite thing to them and it isn't worth screwing around with - it would be like arbitrarily deciding to rename colors in your setting because you wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A trailer with literally zero new footage? I don't think that counts as a trailer. Not even a teaser.

Teasers usually don't show footage. At least that's how it used to be.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Id rathwr not see new footage, but that's just me

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A teaser can be as little as a title, a date and some music, really.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Has anyone here received the "Game of Thrones Coloring Book?" I'm debating getting it for a friend for Xmas, but I want to know if it's worth the $12 for a loving coloring book.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
According to the amazon reviews there's no Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Dany in the book. Might contain lemon cakes. I picked it up for my wife who hasn't read the books, can't wait to explain coldhands.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hopefully it'll have Littlefingers brothel. I'm sharpening my pink crayon as we speak...

:pervert:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

bathhouse posted:

According to the amazon reviews there's no Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Dany in the book. Might contain lemon cakes. I picked it up for my wife who hasn't read the books, can't wait to explain coldhands.

Ah, no Dany will piss my friend off. Well, I guess it's time for option #2: Dany Funko Pop.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Anyone here have experience witb the official Game of Thrones childrens mobile? Im thinking of pulling the trigger on this (for a friend of course... :ninja: but I just wanna know if there's enough content there to justify my purchase (spinning pieces of plastic, lights, pieces of metal brushing together etc.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

bathhouse posted:

No Dany, Arya or Jon? Uh oh. I wonder if my sister would still like that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bathhouse posted:

Oh god, the expression on the face of the owl on the cover.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it's very mediocre but my wife seems to like it well enough. They definitely made some odd choices of what to include. There's basically nothing as far as iconic scenes from the books.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

bathhouse posted:

How can there be promotional material of Game of Thrones without any of those? Those four make up roughly 70% of the books and show, how do you make anything GoT not contain these characters?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Grendels Dad posted:

How can there be promotional material of Game of Thrones without any of those? Those four make up roughly 70% of the books and show, how do you make anything GoT not contain these characters?

Probably a rights issue. They didn't want to pony up money to pay for the likeness of any actors. Even Cersei on the front doesn't look all that much like Lena Heady. There is a flip-through video in the Amazon reviews and they only have a few characters in the book, all of them don't look like the HBO show actors and are easily identifiable by certain features (e.g. Sansa with Lady, Drogo on a horse with an Arakh).

Edit: Looking at it a second time, the reason is that it's an GRRM/Bantam product and HBO doesn't see any money of it either.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

bathhouse posted:

I thought you were talking about winds of winter for a second.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Stairmaster posted:

I thought you were talking about winds of winter for a second.

MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE WALL...

Hey, wait a minute!” some of you may be saying about now. “Wait a minute, wait a
minute! Where’s Dany and the dragons? Where’s Tyrion? We hardly saw Jon Snow. That can’t
be all of it... .”

Well, no. There’s more to come. Another coloring book as big as this one. I did not forget to draw the other characters. Far from it. I drew lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. I was still drawing when it dawned on me that the coloring book had become too big to publish in a single volume... and I wasn’t close to finished yet.

To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the book in two. The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with “To Be Continued.” The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that’s the route I chose to take. Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Coloring with Dragons, which will focus on events along the Wall and across the sea, just as the present book focused on King’s Landing.

—George R. R. Martin Dec 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

*Slow Clap*

I laughed, well done.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
There's no way the coloring books will be finished before the show passes them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The two-stage reaction to Winds being released before S6, but be like Feast without Jon, Dany or Tyrion would be absolutely hilarious.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lycus posted:

The two-stage reaction to Winds being released before S6, but be like Feast without Jon, Dany or Tyrion would be absolutely hilarious.

Sounds good. Id happily read it

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jerkface posted:

MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE WALL...

Hey, wait a minute!” some of you may be saying about now. “Wait a minute, wait a
minute! Where’s Dany and the dragons? Where’s Tyrion? We hardly saw Jon Snow. That can’t
be all of it... .”

Well, no. There’s more to come. Another coloring book as big as this one. I did not forget to draw the other characters. Far from it. I drew lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. I was still drawing when it dawned on me that the coloring book had become too big to publish in a single volume... and I wasn’t close to finished yet.

To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the book in two. The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with “To Be Continued.” The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that’s the route I chose to take. Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Coloring with Dragons, which will focus on events along the Wall and across the sea, just as the present book focused on King’s Landing.

—George R. R. Martin Dec 2015

This year, GRRM is a writer on the show

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone on Reddit posted that going by ADWD as the example, today is the last day to announce TWOW and have it out before Season 6.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TOOT BOOT posted:

Someone on Reddit posted that going by ADWD as the example, today is the last day to announce TWOW and have it out before Season 6.

Those people are desperate.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TOOT BOOT posted:

poo poo I don't know how time zones work, I read this today but is today still the "today" in your post or is it tomorrow already and your "today" was yesterday?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If only GRRM had one more day, than he'd get TWoW done before S6.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lycus posted:

I blame HBO

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Lycus posted:

All he really needs is 20 good men, or a bad pussy.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
GRRM stopped writing a long time ago

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

speshl guy posted:

GRRM stopped writing a long time ago

This is demonstrably untrue, gently caress off. GRRM is doing the best he can. TWOW will release in 2016.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's a fat lazy slob but i would also not write anymore once i was rich as sin.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Austrian mook posted:

This is demonstrably untrue, gently caress off. GRRM is doing the best he can. TWOW will release in 2016.

Look at this. Look at it.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

You make a lot of ridiculous posts but this one is the hottest take yet

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Austrian mook posted:

This is trolling right? I honestly can't tell anymore.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am pretty sure Austrian mook's entire contribution to the thread has been soft trolling, so yes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ashcans posted:

I am pretty sure Austrian mook's entire contribution to the thread has been soft trolling, so yes.

Especially since he's phoneposting and not bothering to correct his grammar or spelling.
I think he was legit sexist earlier though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Koirhor posted:

This is trolling right? I honestly can't tell anymore.

Sigh. No. I'm not "trolling". I'm sorry that's you're all so invested in wishing that one of the best authors ever dies before he finishes his book series.

Have a little faith why don't you!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ashcans posted:

I'm gonna go with - his initial posts were not well received so he switched to the soft troll to give plausible deniability for the Puppetmaster defence. A goon classic

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

*posts another 526 pages on why GRRM is a fat, disgusting, idiot, stupid, bitch*

just..just...DIE already XD

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

his new books are NEVER coming out!! *checks this topic 10 times a day*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

WeAreTheRomans posted:

soft troll to give plausible deniability for the Puppetmaster defence. A goon classic

Soft like GRRM's belly or Orson Lannister's head

• Locked thread