Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've completely forgotten how to use dodge offset since Bayonetta 1. Or, I still know how but I'm terrible at it. Anyone know a good way to practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Just hold down the button. You'll keep firing and you'll automatically dodge offset every time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

notZaar posted:

Someone with social status to lose you creep

Lmfao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A lifetime of status...gone, all gone, because I played the naked lady videogame.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I've completely forgotten how to use dodge offset since Bayonetta 1. Or, I still know how but I'm terrible at it. Anyone know a good way to practice?

Hold punch or kick button, dodge. When using Love is Blue, bullets should shoot out of all four guns while you dodge and you'll know you did it right.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
The first thing I did in the demo was seeing if Dodge-Offsets were still a thing. Trusty PKP proved they were. Really looking forward to grabbing all the hidden weapons. Hope there's one at least as fun as the nunchucks.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Just buy $60 in Eshop cards and leave them on your Wii U with a big note that says "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL BAYONETTA-MAS"

Already ahead of ya! And it'll be $80 because Shantae and the Pirate's Curse comes out next week and there's no way I'm not getting that. :v:

Also reposting this from SurrealityCheck because it's a lot of words I liked reading.

a bro posted posted:

OK. I now know exactly why there is Witch Time in Non-Stop Climax mode now.

Platinum have built a whole new game into the Taunt mechanic, it's sort of like the variable difficulty of God Hand (sort of).

In the original Bayonetta you had tonnes of systems and lots of different ways to play the game. Bayonetta 2 presents one grand system which is consistent across all modes, but this system bends according to the player's skill.

The grade requirements in this game are really high! I've not even managed a Platinum Rank yet on a chapter, let alone Pure Platinum (playing on 3rd Climax Mode). Due to the high grade requirements you HAVE TO Taunt to enrage your targets as often as possible to maximise points. This is the reason you can't Taunt Offset any more, it didn't actually serve a purpose in the original, but in this game you HAVE TO take the risk and Taunt between your attack sequences in order to keep the enemies enraged.

The Taunt effect has been beefed up, a lot. Taunting increases the speed and power of all enemy types and actually changes their attack signposts so they are harder to read. On top of this, dodging the attacks of an enraged enemy now awards a very tiny amount of Witch Time. It's a variable difficulty mechanic flawlessly worked into the core system of Bayonetta we all recognise.

Every single thing people were bitching about are actually positive changes. The problem is that gamers today only seem capable of looking at each change in isolation, you need to judge the changes based on the entire system. It ALL fits!

The two games (Bayo 1 and 2) compliment rather than replace each other and every single thing people bitched about is wrong. Bayo 1 is a completely free system with many different parts and modes vs the game's hazards, Bayo 2 is a single structured and unified system vs the game's hazards. Bayo 2 is far more focussed, they really force you to use EVERYTHING in order to get the grades. Like for example, in Bayo 1 Scarborough Fair is so bloody amazing you don't actually NEED to use any other weapon, and for months I didn't. But in Bayo 2 each weapon is like half a book, you NEED to pair them up and learn how to maximise the potential of each pairing.

In Bayo 1 you can do just about anything, anytime, anywhere. In Bayo 2 you HAVE TO do certain things. For this reason I feel that Bayo 2 has a clearly defined structure to combat and you can identify and follow that structure as the path you must take in order to improve. Bayo 1 does not have this structure so it's harder to gauge exactly where you need to improve.

They are both such wildly different games, I cannot stress this enough!

They MAKE you do things in Bayo 2, like for example I never once deactivated special attacks in Bayo 1, but in Bayo 2 you'll find that by having a certain special attack activated, it will override something else. You actually have to adjust the character settings based on your play style, whereas in Bayo 1 you never actually had to do this.

An example of an attack which overrides something I cannot be without is the new rising Punch attack (same command as After Burner Kick but with Punch). This attack overrides the trick I love to do with the Tetsuzanko (triple Wicked Weaves):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DHHrn5rsc

As the Jump cancel part of the input now activates this new punch special, I disable the new punch as I prefer to have rapid Wicked Weaves at my disposal.

They've also overhauled the Lock-On system. I was really struggling to make my hands accept the Wii U controller and I couldn't understand why they switched the buttons round (you can switch them back to the original layout). In the original game, the Lock-On directly affected the range of Wicked Weaves, basically it was:

No Lock-on: weaves can be directed in any direction, but only at close range.
With Lock-on: weaves track the target so you can attack at long range.

In Bayo 2 you don't need to manage the lock-on at all apart from when you want to lock into a direction to perform directional commands. I don't know the exact logic of it, but Wicked Weaves will now track your target whether you are locked-on or not. So suppose you combo an enemy without lock-on then blast it away (out of melee attack range) with a Wicked Weave, if you follow up with a command weave like the Tetsuzanko or Heel Stomp, the weave will still track and connect. This simple change let's you string together all kinds of crazy stuff without having to manage the lock-on during your inputs.

All of the changes they have made are like this, they are trimming out loads of fat and only leaving what's required, there's NO mess!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I can get behind a combat system that actively rewards and encourages you to talk poo poo in between high kicks

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I can get behind a combat system that actively rewards and encourages you to talk poo poo in between high kicks

You got a lot of games to catch up on then. Start with DMC, 2001.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I have heard you can taunt to enrage bosses now. Is this true?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I have heard you can taunt to enrage bosses now. Is this true?

That was in the first game too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

That was in the first game too.

Man I did not taunt enough in the first game.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Man I did not taunt enough in the first game.

This is a good rule for life also - you never know what bonuses you can get from poo poo-talking until you try it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6F9tH_RCtE

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Thanks, JP!

Also RIP sticky : (

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SurrealityCheck posted:

Thanks, JP!

Also RIP sticky : (

Who is JP

Also

big post posted:

They MAKE you do things in Bayo 2, like for example I never once deactivated special attacks in Bayo 1, but in Bayo 2 you'll find that by having a certain special attack activated, it will override something else. You actually have to adjust the character settings based on your play style, whereas in Bayo 1 you never actually had to do this.

An example of an attack which overrides something I cannot be without is the new rising Punch attack (same command as After Burner Kick but with Punch). This attack overrides the trick I love to do with the Tetsuzanko (triple Wicked Weaves):

I still don't understand this part. Could someone explain it differently?

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
JP Kellams is the in house localiser, I think he's responsible for a lot of the flair in the scripts at Platinum.

That guy is saying that some moves have the same input so you need to deactivate them if you want to use the default. I did this in Bayo 1 anyway because some of the moves you activate by dodging were easy to use accidentally.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Who is JP

Also

I still don't understand this part. Could someone explain it differently?

JP = JP Kellams, english-speaking creative director at platinum!

Basically, in bayo1 if you hit kick just after jumping you did the rising afterburner kick. However, there was no rising punch. If you were inputting the special move "tetsuzanko" (back->forwards + punch) you would fire a wicked weave. If you pressed jump just after the first active frame of the attack you could repeat the input and perform it again, and then repeat the jump for another incredibly rapid wicked weave.

In bayonetta 2 there is a rising punch - if you input punch just after a kick you do a punch equivalent of the afterburner kick from bayo1. This means attempting to input back->forwards + punch sets off a rising punch instead of the tetsuzanko!

Thus he is saying that he goes into the menu and disables the special rising punch move, so he can jump cancel the tetsuzanko as in bayo1.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SurrealityCheck posted:

JP = JP Kellams, english-speaking creative director at platinum!

Basically, in bayo1 if you hit kick just after jumping you did the rising afterburner kick. However, there was no rising punch. If you were inputting the special move "tetsuzanko" (back->forwards + punch) you would fire a wicked weave. If you pressed jump just after the first active frame of the attack you could repeat the input and perform it again, and then repeat the jump for another incredibly rapid wicked weave.

In bayonetta 2 there is a rising punch - if you input punch just after a kick you do a punch equivalent of the afterburner kick from bayo1. This means attempting to input back->forwards + punch sets off a rising punch instead of the tetsuzanko!

Thus he is saying that he goes into the menu and disables the special rising punch move, so he can jump cancel the tetsuzanko as in bayo1.

This is the depth of technical knowledge my friend uses to re-engineer viruses to heal people

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This is the depth of technical knowledge my friend uses to re-engineer viruses to heal people

Funny story, I do research into the epigenetics of cancer >.>

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

notZaar posted:

Are you a god damned clown or something?

The best part of The Witcher was going around and banging the tavern wenches and dryads.

Polish nude patch - always installed :smug:

edit: also definitely getting this game

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Let's forget about the gross Polygon review of this game and read this awesome one from Killscreen instead.

This is everything the Polygon review isn't. It's a deep analysis of Bayonetta's character and portrayal that really highlights what makes her unique and important. Kudos to this guy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Final art stuff from the Platinum Blog:

Loki:

It's Time to D-D-D-D DUEL!

His cards (modeled after the tarot):

The Lumen Sage:

Bayonetta Bonus Costumes:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The art for her legs

my god science has gone way too far. Also fun thing going on, apparently someone asked Kamiya for his thoughts on GamerGate and his response was basically "I don't care if you post it again I'll block you." Now idiots spamming it are threatening to boycott the game :allears:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Kamiya is a loving hero and besides, everyone threatening a boycott would've either not bought it anyways, or are weak willed babies that'll buy it anyways.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Kamiya's twitter feed right now is basically a live-action version of one of his games.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
REPEAT FOR IDIOTS: Enough of gamer bla bla topic. I'll block those idiots immediately.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

REPEAT FOR IDIOTS: Enough of gamer bla bla topic. I'll block those idiots immediately.

:allears: took me a second

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Replayed the demo with a friend the other day. Shame that the co-op isn't in the demo, as it is really fun trying to one up each other with how much you can string together taunts in the same combo. Didn't use taunts a whole lot in Bayo 1, but it definitely seems more worked into the combo score system in 2, at least in the prologue there is a marked difference in combo rating when taunting. Even while milking each enemy for all they had, felt like I pretty much had to anger enemies to get a decent combo rating at the end of each verse. Gonna be a fun ride upping medals to Pure Platinum.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rocketlex posted:

Kamiya's twitter feed right now is basically a live-action version of one of his games.

I'd say.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Every day my love for Kamiya grows, burning like a sun, fueling and warming my innards.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Kamiya right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kitFV4F8hbM

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone heard anything about that Legend of Korra game coming out on Tuesday? On the one hand it's a licensed game based off a dumb Nickelodeon show but on the other hand it's Platinum. There seems to be virtually no info on it on the internet besides a couple 3 minute ad videos.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone heard anything about that Legend of Korra game coming out on Tuesday? On the one hand it's a licensed game based off a dumb Nickelodeon show but on the other hand it's Platinum. There seems to be virtually no info on it on the internet besides a couple 3 minute ad videos.

There's a few interviews and stuff, the final boss looks like Ancient Chinese Spirit Armstrong. Won't really know enough until it comes out, but it looks like good combat, and they probably got only slightly less time to do this game than they got for Revengeance, so i'm guessing it's good. One interview mentioned how, since it's a licensed game based off a cartoon, the difficulties are set so normal is for people that haven't played action games, and that Platinum fans should start with Hard.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm pretty afraid to look up spoilers but since the game has been out in Japan is their any connectivity unlocks in Bayonetta 1 and 2? Don't want to feel guilty for not replaying the first one immediately.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I haven't heard of anything like that. If you don't want to play the first one you don't have to.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So is it true that the co-op is only online, no local?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

alcharagia posted:

So is it true that the co-op is only online, no local?

EDIT: Ignore me

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 20, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ometeotl posted:

Not at all

Good, because I think my mom would've shanked me if she couldn't be the one to play as Bayonetta when this comes out.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm pretty sure that there is no local coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Good, because I think my mom would've shanked me if she couldn't be the one to play as Bayonetta when this comes out.

You're getting shanked.

• Locked thread