Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

If a President of the United States can bang an intern and not be impeached, then the average person can have a videogame with boobs in it and nobody will give a poo poo.

Uh, he was impeached. You may have heard about it, there was a lot of news coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really hoping the online holds up. That is the one thing I'm pretty sure I'll leave feeling iffy about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

Really hesitant to buy this - not because it's not a good game, but because I'm just so burnt out on 3rd person action games.

Same reason I am not picking up Shadows of Mordor - I put maybe 4 hours into AC4 before getting bored, and the last 3d action game I finished was Lords of Shadow 2 (and what a piece of crap that was).

Thoughts?

edit: Lots of T&A will definitely sway me. Is this a game with lots of T&A?

SoM is a good game. Bayonetta 2 is a good game. Buy both of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kamiya finally chimed in on Anita announcing she's doing a video.

I like how, after tons of people bitching, he has a far more reasonable response than the actual people flipping out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

What if it doesn't, Level Slide?

Then your life will be suffering for 4 days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not seeing the complaints about Korra, honestly. It's not Bayonetta but it's got a bunch of classic Platinum mechanics and plays pretty good. It's not the best game ever or anything but dodge-offsetting bending moves and taunting enemies like Jetstream Sam never gets old.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

I agree with the complaints about a couple health-spongy enemies, but countering helps a lot as it does a fair chunk of damage.

I really found that the key to them was keeping your Chi meter fully charged basically 24/7. Admittedly I went through the game with the x2exp/half health item equipped the entire time so I had maxed-out levels by the end but a level-3 chi charge wrecks some serious poo poo, especially if you hit the perfect charge.

Also on an unrelated note if you do the Pro-Bending stuff you unlock after you finish the game (which takes like ten minutes to go through tops) you unlock an accessory which is basically Witch Time Lite, which is pretty fun.

Pomp posted:

I'd call Korra "competent, but clearly low budget" and leave it at that.

Yeah, it's low budget for sure but pretty good for a low-budget $15 title.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AccountingNightmare posted:

I never actually understood what the Chi meter was for. I knew that I was missing something though. It'll definitely come in handy on repeat playthroughs.

Basically when you do a charge move, you build up Chi meter which boosts your damage and slightly alters your attacks. Each level has a greater effect. It's most obvious on Earthbending where Level 3 has Korra start pulling up giant boulders and smashing them together and stuff and Airbending which becomes basically "the entire screen is death." The damage boost lasts until the chi runs out. As you're charging you also have circles which begin closing in on Korra and if you time it just as they hit her body it'll flash and the move you're charging will do huge damage.

Also you can dodge while charging to instantly 'lock in' the current level of chi charge without having to actually do a move so you're not actually really vulnerable while doing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, multiplayer is so goddamn fun even if it can be a bitch to see what is going on sometimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say it kind of bothers me that the Zelda costume appears to be just straight-up mechanically superior since it gives you a free Moons effect without using an accessory slot. I don't mind the cosmetic differences but that's pretty OP considering none of the other costumes (that I've unlocked yet) have that significant an effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enojy posted:

The only thing I've got against this game so far is them plopping a lovely life or death QTE right at the end of a chapter. There goes a possible platinum because you thought you were watching a cutscene and put the controller down for five seconds. God drat state of console video games circa 2008.

This is Bayo 1 of course, but I played the Bayo 2 demo, I know those shits are still in there.

It isn't actually. There are barely any QTEs at all and no life and death ones as far as I am.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

He's talking about Bayo 1, ImpAtom.

I was responding to this part

enojy posted:

Bayo 1 of course, but I played the Bayo 2 demo, I know those shits are still in there.

At least as far as I am there are like no cutscene-QTEs at all. Even in places where you'd really expect them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

That doesn't make them not loving obnoxious and bad.

Yeah, B2 lacking them just underlines how kinda crap they are in B1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

And you are correct. :v:

Finally got a game of climax going, was using Love is Blue, the other guy had dual chainsaws, I had to ressurect him twice in one verse and yet he still won?

Your score is determined by total verses. If you won low-bet verses and he won high-bet verses, he wins even if you won more verses overall.

Also your combo score matters. Vary your attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Or buy the Moons/Link Costume and proceed to parry his rear end to death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Loki may be the worst character in Platinum history. Everything about him seems to have been lifted from other, far worse games.

He's not even remotely as bad as Luka from W101.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

If you think Tag Climax is a disappointed because the verses are too short, please do 3 Stars and come back to me.

Or do longer verses. There are short verses but boss battles and stuff are longer by default.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oswald ownenstein posted:

It's just a total slog.

What's giving you trouble?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I missed the weapon in chapter V, only found half the LP right before ascending the big spiral staircase. Where's the other half?

Underwater near the start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only thing you might have a problem with is not winning and thus getting lovely rewards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Just to make sure, by this point I should have the swords, Kafka, Undine and Chernabog right?

Yeah, the Chapter V weapon is the first one you can reasonably miss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Finally got around to finishing it. Man, Bayo 2 really is just kinda the first but better in every way. Even the required vehicle segments were way more fun to play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It starts out easier, yeah. But it gets pretty loving hard by about chapter 5 or 6 and by the time you reach the Depths...

Unrelated, but I am stuck on a Muspellheim pretty late in the game. I can't touch the ground and I only have one pillar to stand on, an enemy will always break it and I can't damage him fast enough before I hit the ground. What's the trick here?

Honestly, I just did as much damage as I could before he broke it and then chainsawed him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beat the game, although since it's Normal mode I hardly count it as a win. Really excellent. I have a few questions about the plot though.

So...why did Jeanne get taken to Hell? Like, they make a big deal that it's really weird that the hell beasts stopped obeying Bayonetta, but I don't remember any particular explanation for why poo poo went wrong. And for that matter, what era is Balder from!? Is he from the past that Evil Aesir brought to the present to be a henchman or is he from the present and then sent back to the past or...like, how did he even end up in this at all? And, are we to assume that when he's dying in the Prologue, he's talking about Evil Aesir dying with him? So, basically, the stories make one resolved continual loop? Gotta say, though, the final boss was not nearly as awesome as the last boss of the first game, although I like his design.

Jeanne got taken to hell because she died. The contract the witches make mean their souls go to hell when they die. That is what the game-over animation is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

The third LP is in the next stage.

Nah, all LPs are in the same stage. If it's the one I'm thinking of it is to the right when you reach the M-portal that is really obviously in the open.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I absolutely loved this game. Please don't let it end here, Nintendo. Even if sales end up being bad (god I hope not).

It's an inevitability. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh my gently caress, they should have called Bayonetta 1 Hard Mode "Grace and Glory gently caress You Up" mode because Grace and Glory are loving me up oh my fingers

oh my poor poor fingers

Why are torture attacks so drat finnicky? What even triggers a torture attack, I thought it was based on my combo meter.

You press X+A when you have a full orb of magic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzureRequiem posted:

Ending spoiler qquestion

If Balder is sent back in time to before the events of Bayonetta, and Loptr is why he's evil, how does he have the Right Eye, since Loki erased them from existence?

He is sent back in time to a time when the eyes still exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I lifted the final boss with whip feet, this game owns and the whips are insanely good.

I like the chainsaws more but the whips are super fun. I wish they synergized a bit better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

Kamiya turned up at valve. I hope this means platinum back catalogue appearing on steam, given that Sega allowed Valkyria Chronicles on recently.

Wait, what is this about Valkyria Chronicles on Steam?

It'd depend more on the publishers (mostly Sega) than Platinum in terms of their back catalog though, but if they got VC there...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Street Fighter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, the hardest part of winning is the fact that if you get behind in the combo on anything but a boss battle it can be really hard to make it back up. It can be a little aggravating sometimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does anyone have any tips for playing as Rodin? He seems kinda too slow and immobile for the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Okay yeah, Rodin's loving bad. I just fought the Lumen Sage with him and even deflecting his attacks wouldn't let me land a solid hit on him.

Yeah, that is what i noticed. He just doesn't have any loving mobility. Against high-speed enemies like the Lumen Sage he's just basically worthless. I feel like there's something I'm missing because he's just so aggressively awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the whip is meant to set up combos. I can't really figure out how to reliably do grabs with it though.

Witch time allows for grabs on basically anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Maybe there will be dlc in the future. Platinum, please release dlc if that is what is needed to get Bayonetta 3 green lit. I will buy all of it.

Sadly if there was going to be DLC we'd probably have heard about it already.

I wanted playable Luka. Give him the ability to swing around and be generally useless. And his Umbral Climax is Wonder Goggles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

andipossess posted:

One of the coolest things about this game is that you can use the dodge button in the middle of certain cutscenes to start boss/miniboss fights with witch time. Like, there's no prompt, but I hit dodge by instinct and it actually changes the cutscene slightly.

I only bring this up because I noticed ChipCheezum didn't do it in his playthrough of the demo.

Wait poo poo, seriously? That's amazing. What sort of cutscene triggers it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Has anyone here played both this and Shadows of Mordor? GCU is on sale at Best Buy this week if I buy a game with it and I was debating between these two.

Both games are fantastic. Shadow of Mordor is less difficult and more "gently caress around and have fun', while Bayonetta has way better core combat. Bayonetta comes with two games though so it's more bang for your buck,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Finally found a store that had this and picked it up. I'm playing through the 1st Bayonetta. I'm pretty bad and seem to be missing fight scenes so I'm not getting all the medals in a chapter, which gives me a stone rating. Is there any benefit to getting higher ratings besides feeling better about myself?

You get more Halos for good ranking and you need all platinums on Normal to unlock Jeanne. (There's an alternate unlock option though, though it requires a lot of Halos.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

The scythe is good for both crowd control and damage. Especially if you use its shotgun blades then it just fucks anything in front of you hard. For DPS though you'd be better off using swords as they're just faster and flow into combat better, I feel.

The scythe feels like it's meant to be a midpoint between the whips and the chainsaws to me, but not quite as good as either.

• Locked thread