Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I imported Bayo 1 since the Japanese version was fully in English and came out months earlier, and it cost me more than $100

I did my time

And yet you won't be playing Bayonetta 2. :(

I kinda wish E-Shop let you preorder just so I could pay it off and be lazy for next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Just buy $60 in Eshop cards and leave them on your Wii U with a big note that says "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL BAYONETTA-MAS"

Already ahead of ya! And it'll be $80 because Shantae and the Pirate's Curse comes out next week and there's no way I'm not getting that. :v:

Also reposting this from SurrealityCheck because it's a lot of words I liked reading.

a bro posted posted:

OK. I now know exactly why there is Witch Time in Non-Stop Climax mode now.

Platinum have built a whole new game into the Taunt mechanic, it's sort of like the variable difficulty of God Hand (sort of).

In the original Bayonetta you had tonnes of systems and lots of different ways to play the game. Bayonetta 2 presents one grand system which is consistent across all modes, but this system bends according to the player's skill.

The grade requirements in this game are really high! I've not even managed a Platinum Rank yet on a chapter, let alone Pure Platinum (playing on 3rd Climax Mode). Due to the high grade requirements you HAVE TO Taunt to enrage your targets as often as possible to maximise points. This is the reason you can't Taunt Offset any more, it didn't actually serve a purpose in the original, but in this game you HAVE TO take the risk and Taunt between your attack sequences in order to keep the enemies enraged.

The Taunt effect has been beefed up, a lot. Taunting increases the speed and power of all enemy types and actually changes their attack signposts so they are harder to read. On top of this, dodging the attacks of an enraged enemy now awards a very tiny amount of Witch Time. It's a variable difficulty mechanic flawlessly worked into the core system of Bayonetta we all recognise.

Every single thing people were bitching about are actually positive changes. The problem is that gamers today only seem capable of looking at each change in isolation, you need to judge the changes based on the entire system. It ALL fits!

The two games (Bayo 1 and 2) compliment rather than replace each other and every single thing people bitched about is wrong. Bayo 1 is a completely free system with many different parts and modes vs the game's hazards, Bayo 2 is a single structured and unified system vs the game's hazards. Bayo 2 is far more focussed, they really force you to use EVERYTHING in order to get the grades. Like for example, in Bayo 1 Scarborough Fair is so bloody amazing you don't actually NEED to use any other weapon, and for months I didn't. But in Bayo 2 each weapon is like half a book, you NEED to pair them up and learn how to maximise the potential of each pairing.

In Bayo 1 you can do just about anything, anytime, anywhere. In Bayo 2 you HAVE TO do certain things. For this reason I feel that Bayo 2 has a clearly defined structure to combat and you can identify and follow that structure as the path you must take in order to improve. Bayo 1 does not have this structure so it's harder to gauge exactly where you need to improve.

They are both such wildly different games, I cannot stress this enough!

They MAKE you do things in Bayo 2, like for example I never once deactivated special attacks in Bayo 1, but in Bayo 2 you'll find that by having a certain special attack activated, it will override something else. You actually have to adjust the character settings based on your play style, whereas in Bayo 1 you never actually had to do this.

An example of an attack which overrides something I cannot be without is the new rising Punch attack (same command as After Burner Kick but with Punch). This attack overrides the trick I love to do with the Tetsuzanko (triple Wicked Weaves):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DHHrn5rsc

As the Jump cancel part of the input now activates this new punch special, I disable the new punch as I prefer to have rapid Wicked Weaves at my disposal.

They've also overhauled the Lock-On system. I was really struggling to make my hands accept the Wii U controller and I couldn't understand why they switched the buttons round (you can switch them back to the original layout). In the original game, the Lock-On directly affected the range of Wicked Weaves, basically it was:

No Lock-on: weaves can be directed in any direction, but only at close range.
With Lock-on: weaves track the target so you can attack at long range.

In Bayo 2 you don't need to manage the lock-on at all apart from when you want to lock into a direction to perform directional commands. I don't know the exact logic of it, but Wicked Weaves will now track your target whether you are locked-on or not. So suppose you combo an enemy without lock-on then blast it away (out of melee attack range) with a Wicked Weave, if you follow up with a command weave like the Tetsuzanko or Heel Stomp, the weave will still track and connect. This simple change let's you string together all kinds of crazy stuff without having to manage the lock-on during your inputs.

All of the changes they have made are like this, they are trimming out loads of fat and only leaving what's required, there's NO mess!

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Hmm, so is there no cinematic quick skip option in Bayonetta 2? No button combination I've tried's worked.

Edot: Never mind, apparently there's still one but it only works after you beat it. :v:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Decided to try out Bayo 1 for a quick bit before work. Still as great as ever and glad the Nintendo costumes are open from the start! But I do kind of wish that the alt control schemes in 2 found their way here. I like having lock-on on ZL.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Anybody tried playing this on the gamepad screen? I wouldn't mind some Bayonetta in bed (heheheheheheh) but I would think it might be a bit too frantic for that.

I've found it works rather well. I play a good deal of it off the screen.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

enojy posted:

Oh crap. I was at least a few hours in, at some boss fight that took place down the side of a building as it was being destroyed.

Haha, naw brother, you exactly just started.

Your face when you see the rest. It'll be glorious.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Man, first I had a blast with 4 swords.

And now I've got 4 whips AND 4 chainsaws. The weapons in Bayonetta 2 are so good.

The only thing I wish for is that there was a super nice unlock after beating the hardest difficulty in Bayonetta 1 and 2 that'd allow you to
use all the weapons across both games.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just a heads up: Platinum is teasing a Bayo-related announcement for December 25, and based on recent comments by the producer, it sounds like it may be Bayo 2 DLC.

Don't say poo poo like this and get my hopes up I would throw my wallet at my Wii U SO HARD

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Ha, knew I shouldn't get my hopes up. :v:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

We may be getting a Bayo 3!

I've posted this a bunch but super excited at the possibility.

I'm not getting excited about Bayonetta 3 because *while cool* it's also a bit of a jump based on what was said.

I will, however, be looking forward to new Platinum jams,

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

And it could for DMC4?

Maybe INFINITE CUTTING took up a chunk of memory.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

The infinite cutting's on the PC version though.

Yeah but you design a game for the lowest common denominator. IE: Consoles.

If memory was an issue (and it just wasn't a design thing) then there's no way they'd have a major gameplay thing like weapon switch on PC and not console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Trick Question posted:

I just can't really use the chainsaws, it's sad, but that lack of any wicked weaves makes them way less fun to me. I also find the bow sort of boring, and I don't really want to use the sword from the last game when this game has its own swords.

Rest of the weapons are great, but I still miss rocket launchers.

The chainsaws for me became a go to weapon when I learned about the glow charge damage boost.

• Locked thread