Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've got this downloading as we speak!

The WiiU has decided for me that it's going to download to USB storage rather than system storage. I don't want that! In this case I'll move it after the fact (although it'll take a while because USB 2.0 and Nintendo doesn't seem great at moving files around) but in future is there a way to tell the WiiU to not do that? I want to play my shiny action game from not USB storage so I can avail of not USB 2.0 loading times.

Christ 32GB was a terrible storage choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is it just a result of me finally losing my tenuous grip on what remains of my sanity or does Bayo 2 have some sound compression issues on dialogue? Whenever people talk thing sound... Odd.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm sure I saw people saying there was a way to retry Muspelheims as many times as you wanted until you got the right rank. What is it? The only way I've found is to get killed during the fight.

Why is there not a "retry" option in the pause menu in every fight?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Somebody please tell me what to do with Resentment and it's bullshit you're-about-to-get-OHKOed laser which it inevitably follows up with it's bullshit OHKO attack? Nothing seems to work to not get hit by that nor does there seem to be any way to not get OHKOed by the follow up.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Holy gently caress. I don't know what I was expecting to happen challenging Rodin but, uh, it went poorly.

Help?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay. Seriously though. Rodin advice? Nothing feels like it can possibly work. I have been at this for two days now. It is not funny anymore. By now I should be seeing reliable improvement, but it still feels like trying to roll a hundred twenties.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Am I missing something re: the achievement for freezing 40 enemies? I've played chapters 1 to 4 and have been freezing everything that would let me, but it still hasn't unlocked it. Is there some other condition at play besides just freezing 40 enemies?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sonel posted:

I read that it's supposed to be 40 enemy types, not 40 enemies total. Which I have to say is accurate because of how many I've frozen. Oh and you can freeze bosses to, so now I need to replay all the bosses freezing them and hopefully I'll unlock it.

Ha ha good one. That was a funny joke that you told.

:shepface:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Are there even 40 enemy types, anyway? I know there's quite a few but that seems like it's pushing it a bit.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well I finally got the drat 'chievement. Know who finally gave it to me? Fuckin' Grace & Glory. gently caress you. Now to never use Undine again except in a couple weird edge cases cause it's just kinda slow and cumbersome and frankly I'm kinda sick of 'em. Seriously, 40 enemy types was a bad idea.

Controllerchat: Pro Controller all day err' day. I played the demo only on the Gamepad but I borrowed a Pro 'Troller from a friend when I got the game and when he went home I immediately went out and bought one myself after ten minutes back on the gamepad. (One thing this game has taught me is that I seriously dislike the reversed stick/facebutton placement on the WiiU, so I guess if there was a third-party controller that combined the build quality and ludicrous battery life of the Pro Controller with the button placement of an Xbox controller then that would be my favourite.)

(Seriously the battery life of the Pro Controller is absurd. I'm at like 10-12 hours since I bought it and it is still showing four blue battery bar things out of four.)

Weaponchat: My first run though the game I came to harbour a healthy appreciation for the scythe. It's not quite as slow as the hammer and it actually has both functional weaves and ranged ability. However, I keep coming back to Guns 'n' Whips. They're just too useful. The guns are good - maybe too good - as a default weapon because they're just so utilitarian, and adding some whips gives you excellent crowd control and awesome visual effects (oh and grab-stuns too, those are nice). My current non Guns 'n' Whips set is Katana 'n' Chainsaws for maximal close-range spammage but honestly I'm not sure it's outdamaging Guns 'n' Whips in any situation. I will continue to experiment.

Advice for new players: Always keep Guns 'n' Guns as one of your sets and experiment with the other.

Further Advice for new players: Guns 'n' Guns are also awesome because if you have them equipped to both hands and feet you'll get visual confirmation when you Dodge Offset correctly, making them great for practice when you're starting out.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 2, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ruggington posted:

Has anyone figured out a good use for Undine? They lack the range of the guns and the strength of salamandra; they seem like they'd be decent for crowd control but alraune and chernabog are so good at that I don't see a reason not to use those, outside of spraying fire everywhere looking cool as poo poo.

Undine is ostensibly quite good at crowd control, yes. The theory is that you can freeze people or set them on fire to remove them from the equation for a while, but that's really only practical for small enemies that better weapons could eviscerate en masse anyway. You can get some good stuff out of them when facing two or three big enemies (say, Pains) and you have the Bracelet of Time, you can effectively keep one of them frozen at all times while wailing on the other. Buuuuut that's still kinda an edge case and I'unno.

Maybe on the harder difficulties, if you can freeze people with the same amount of spray, they'll come into their own and be better at handling big bunches of small enemies than spamming weaves and sycthes and whips.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh my god, you can freeze bosses with Undine too.

Takes a real long time to do and generally isn't really worth the tiny bit of extra damage you can do before they break out but yeah. You can freeze basically any enemy that is not actually ice-related, with very few exceptions, including bosses. Be interested to know the full list of unfreezable enemies. I guess technically you'd have to count Sapientia and Worship as immune since you can't fight them outside the mech. I think Rodin's immune?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to keep my combo score out of the gutter on Chapter 3. That stupid snake is always out of range. :negative:

ABS (Always Be Shooting)

If you absolutely cannot shoot, taunt.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FauxGateau posted:

The muspelheims count as verses as well. but yeah there's some tricky ones sprinkled around. But it's not as bad as other platinum games.

Completing The Wonderful 101 involved finding all of the bullshit backtracking missions once on every difficulty.

But yeah, bullshit backtracking missions are one of those bizarre things that Platinum just keep doing and steadfastly refuse to learn better than. I was astounded to learn that Bayo 2 actually had a list of Muspelheims along with what verse number they were (but unsurprised to learn that there was no such listing for hidden verses).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

beep by grandpa posted:

It's not so much exploration when half of it is bullshit backtracking that is all trial and error like IIRC the final level of Bayonetta when you're running up the rocket as Jeanne and you have to run basically to where it triggers the end of the segment, then go all the way back down to the beginning for the final Alpheim :wtc:

That's just...contemptuous for the player at that point. I just came off of The Wonderful 101 going into Bayonetta 2 and it took me like 2 hours to get to the first boss cause I kept running back constantly to see if new Verses spawned and had to force myself to stop and enjoy the game because god drat Kamiya trained me to be OCD about this stuff :negative:

The really bizarre thing about Platinum's steadfast refusal to learn is that they have already demonstrated that they are able to do this stuff correctly - in Revengeance, most of the hidden fights are flagged up for you in a call from Boris. Most of the leftover ones were not very out of your way and fall within the nebulous but definitely-existing zone of "stuff a good player will instinctively investigate".

Of course, they still gently caress up spectacularly in other ways, such as having everyone go on about stealth but making it so that stealthing guys will not count for ranks, causing a partially stelathed fight to ruin your rank and a fully stealthed one to skip it entirely. Why, Platinum. Why.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

beep by grandpa posted:

Honestly I kind of dig that they don't give a gently caress, haha- I respect that! It's not the end of the world tho, doesn't take long to just pull up a guide on gamefaqs and look it up. I just had to train myself to not bother going out of my way on my first runs through. To just look at those empty verse holes in my level clear screen going "don't worry, I'll be back".

Oh, totally. It's impossible to not love Platinum; I'm just kind of at a loss to understand how a company so consistently able to produce top-tier, world-beating gameplay and technically excellent presentation has so much trouble with such basic stuff.

And each game seems to get the same things wrong in massively different ways, too. See: retrying. In Revengeance, retrying doesn't dock your rank but for some reason doesn't reset the "No Damage" flag even though you're restarting the fight from the beginning. In Bayonetta/2, choosing to retry restarts the fight and docks your rank but choosing not to wipes your progress; the "correct" choice is to pick "yes" and then quit to title and Continue (because that's how you Restart Checkpoint (there is no Restart Checkpoint button (what the christ, Platinum))). In W101, retrying is basically a full-heal and a rank-down (which actually makes total sense and is a Good Idea) and choosing not to kicks you to title screen from where you can continue from the last checkpoint... unless you're playing a boss, in which case you're starting from the beginning, and boss fights in W101 have tons of lead-in.

For the life of me I do not understand why they have not implemented a system that sensibly combines all approaches. How it should work is, you die, and you get these options:

Continue - get right back up at full health, but get a rank-down
Retry - restart encounter from the beginning, no penalty
Quit - go back to chapter select (or title, whatever)

I stick to my long-standing hypothesis that Platinum does not actually play-test their games in their entirety under any use-case other than "just get me to the end credits". I mean, obviously they test and polish the combat extensively, but they never seem to consider stuff like "okay, I'm going to set out to Platinum/Pure-Platinum this chapter, how much will I hate myself?", ever (See any boss in W101, but especially 009-C). This is a god drat shame, because it is such a tiny thing but it would massively improve what is, to be honest, already a pretty drat incredible set of games.

Why do I complain the most about the things I love the best.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So I'm discovering the wonders of the Bracelet of Time. It... kinda feels like cheating sometimes. Combined with the whip it allows you to keep almost any enemy stunlocked in near-perpetuity... two enemies, actually.

Is it... broken? :ohdear:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Why is my apparent skill at the game inversely proportional to Bayonetta's health?

I am halfway through Nonstop Infinite Climax and the green lollies are all that's keeping me going. I don't think I'm good enough to play as Jeanne but I also think the Bracelet of Time is beneath me for some reason and the overall effect is that basically I die a lot.

I love this game :shepface:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

BlackFrost posted:

...Also also, what's the best way to grind halos in this game? I want to fight Rodin but building up 10,000,000 halos while resisting the urge to buy all of the costumes is slowly hurting my soul. At least using that Midas item with the mech suit on seems to generate a ton of halos.

Chapter XIV, Jeanne, Gaze of Despair, Bracelet of time, PPP(hold), Infinite Climax difficulty.

You will max out the post chapter combo counter (99,999,999).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

BlackFrost posted:

How do you unlock the bracelet of time in this one?

Beat the game with Gold or better in every chapter. (I think it has to be 2nd Climax or higher)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, Golds are actually super-reasonable in Platinum games. I don't know the finer points of how the game averages out medals but if you get Platinum in two categories you can get Bronze in the third (or even Stone?) and still come away with Gold. Between that and the fact that if you get a Platinum or Pure Platinum you have one less gold to get, it's not too hard to get a Gold award on most chapters.

Actually, the averaging of Verse medals into a Chapter award is even more generous; if you get all Golds and a few Silvers you'll still get Gold overall. Basically, if you get a couple Platinums you're in business. A couple Pure Platinums and you can start missing verses altogether.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Also,

BlackFrost posted:

Holy poo poo, the halos you get with this method are absolutely insane. :stare:

Yep.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You... can skip the credits...?

Is this the first Platinum game in recorded history in which you can skip the credits?

(other than, technically, Okami on Wii (and PS3?) in which the credits were skipped)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Beef Waifu posted:

I completely forgot you couldn't skip the credits in MGR, which is funny considering I put like 60+ hours into that game.

It helps that the music on those is really nice.

Didn't that credits track specifically win some award or something?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Volkameria posted:

Say, I wanted to ask, on Infinite Climax, what are people doing to capitalize on openings on human size bosses once you score Witch Time? On that difficulty, the window gets awfully short and they always seem to twist out of my air combos/Alruna whip slams outside of Witch Time. This really became a factor during the Lumen Sage fight; I wanted to see if I could move past just doing a couple quick slashes during Witch Time and then going back to fishing for a dodge/parry afterwards.

Chainsaws. They might stay stunned just long enough to get off a Just Release.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

notZaar posted:

A what now? You can charge up the chainsaws?

Something like that. You know how if you hold the Chainsaw Button you'll keep on... sawing... the enemy and draw out the animation a bit? Well, if you look closely you'll see that right at the end of the animation the chainsaws glow red. If you let go of the button at that moment (you don't even have to do another attack, just let go), you'll do an extra hit and a surprisingly nice bit of extra damage. This technique is what gives the Chainsaws their DPS. You should basically always be using it if you fight with chainsaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Heavy Sigh posted:

What does the red skull mean in the results screen?

A lot of times I'll blitz through a stage only to get that skull slapped on my score for reasons I can't puzzle out.

Depending on which bit of the results screen you see it on, it can also mean your time and/or combo score or medal isn't as good as the run you have saved.

• Locked thread