Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

infinite jumping

Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Hidden fights and backtracking was a thing in DMC and Bayonetta was basically "The New DMC" so that's why it's there.

It's kind of cool actually and also rad because it basically rewards exploration with an rear end-kicking. It also lets them put harder encounters in the game for you, but only if you want to face them, so newbies and casuals don't have to fight two Pain Tank guys at once.

It's not so much exploration when half of it is bullshit backtracking that is all trial and error like IIRC the final level of Bayonetta when you're running up the rocket as Jeanne and you have to run basically to where it triggers the end of the segment, then go all the way back down to the beginning for the final Alpheim :wtc:

That's just...contemptuous for the player at that point. I just came off of The Wonderful 101 going into Bayonetta 2 and it took me like 2 hours to get to the first boss cause I kept running back constantly to see if new Verses spawned and had to force myself to stop and enjoy the game because god drat Kamiya trained me to be OCD about this stuff :negative:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Honestly I kind of dig that they don't give a gently caress, haha- I respect that! It's not the end of the world tho, doesn't take long to just pull up a guide on gamefaqs and look it up. I just had to train myself to not bother going out of my way on my first runs through. To just look at those empty verse holes in my level clear screen going "don't worry, I'll be back".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

God drat, its not like platinum doesn't already know this but those huge rendered statues they model for their games' platinum/pure platinum ranks are so gorgeous to look at it's super satisfying to look at them once you're earned them.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

There couldn't possibly be a more appropriate avatar for this post.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fedule posted:

Yeah, Golds are actually super-reasonable in Platinum games. I don't know the finer points of how the game averages out medals but if you get Platinum in two categories you can get Bronze in the third (or even Stone?) and still come away with Gold. Between that and the fact that if you get a Platinum or Pure Platinum you have one less gold to get, it's not too hard to get a Gold award on most chapters.

Actually, the averaging of Verse medals into a Chapter award is even more generous; if you get all Golds and a few Silvers you'll still get Gold overall. Basically, if you get a couple Platinums you're in business. A couple Pure Platinums and you can start missing verses altogether.

When I first bought Bayo 2 I played it on Third Climax and was getting stone awards for levels awards consistently until chapter 5, which is when I bought The Bat Within, then nothing but golds and platinums from then on :shobon:

The lesson here is just don't ever die and it's difficult to get stone and bronze rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The weird part was how much better I got at the game as time went on.

Like the last five chapters have me consistently hitting gold rank on the first run through.

It was a tonne of fun to play, but I can't see myself coming back and replaying, if only because of how much it makes my hand hurt.

This is basically how it's supposed to go. My fist bayo 2 playthrough was on second climax and I was consistently getting stone awards up until exactly when I purchased the bat within, golds runnin wild after that. I think at the time I was so used to MGR's hard mode prefect party window it screwed me for Bayonetta's :frogbon:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 4, 2015

• Locked thread