Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

kastein posted:

Yeah I have a big slab of soapstone counter built into the desk/workbench I put upstairs specifically so I can solder without burning the poo poo out of my desk. Found it in the underbrush of an overgrown garden when I started clearing one corner of my yard and immediately knew what I was going to do with it.

I am way far away, but might be down sometime. Normally the furthest south I get is central Pennsyltucky.

(you should have bought a deuce or 5 ton :v:)

As for vises, buy the biggest old vise you can afford. Same rule with anvils. I have a ~50lb Wilton around here somewhere that I need to clean up and rebuild a bit.

If you plan on going down to visit, let me know! I'm outside Baltimore, and you are welcome to crash at the lovely house I have (and I'm pretty sure it's carpenter ant free!)

I have an AW11 that I need to do some suspension work to..... I can bring beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I have to order the parts first.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Glad you enjoyed hanging out! Yeah, my neighbor had questionable fashion today..... That was a lot of cheetah print, but in her defense she is an older lady. Also, you took the Baltimore/Washington Parkway (295) that is the worst way to drive up.

Thanks for taking a pic of my retirement plans (the still sealed copies of Win 98)...... The gun thing was not rehearsed, it just sorta happened. Man that Harbor Freight tarp-shanty over the red truck looks really really bad... And all those boxes in the room with the toolbox are christmas decorations, I just hadn't gotten around to putting them all over the tree and the boxes back to where they belong.

I hope you use the new vise as everyone suggested!

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 14, 2014

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

kastein posted:

Imposters, that toilet isn't even on fire. :colbert:

That is a hell of a vise.

It's our ashtray. I fully expect it catch on fire on it's own one day.

Also there used to be a bathroom gun, I'm not sure if there is one anymore. Might be one upstairs, that bathroom does have a window. There are so many guns in that house I don't even know where they all are kept at, and I live there.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Oh hey, I forgot to mention, but if you are ever driving through and need a place to crash, drop me a PM, if you remember, I'm just south of Baltimore, no reason to spend money on a hotel. We have beer, guns, cars, tools and now a dog.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I happen to have a 5sfe chilling in my dead 94 (or 95 can't remember the exact year, its been 2 years since I've driven it) Celica, if you need parts...

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

Pretty sure the TB is different for a 94-95 than it is for a 91-93, but would you mind checking the clearance between the butterfly and the housing when you have time? The only big difference I've seen between the two is the vacuum bungs up top, but I haven't measured anything. IACV and TPS look like they line up.

I'll give it a look as soon as it thaws enough for me to get to it. That car has a poo poo ton of snow and ice all over it from the last storm (and yesterdays too), it's where we aimed the snow blower when "shoveling". If there are any other easy to snag pieces you want, let me know, that Celica is destined for the junk yard very soon.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

Engine count?

The MR2 is a bit smoky, and I'd like to rebuild one while this one's still going strong-ish. What's the matter with the old girl?

Edit: wait I was misremembering you being in RVA. Maryland is a bit far away for that to work right :) Thanks for the offer bud!

Let a friend borrow it, and the transmission decided it was done. It's got like 230k on it, started and ran fine, but I think the syncros are hosed in the trans (it is a 5 speed though, but and I just looked at my insurance which I haven't cancelled for that car-- it's a 95, the trans sensors changed for 95 only and thats why I couldn't find a junk yard trans for it, then bought a new beater and parked this one about 3 years ago). AC doesn't work any more (I broke the hard lines doing something stupid). But other than that its complete and did run (when parked-lol).

EDIT: UHAUL trailer for all the 5sfe spares you could ever want!

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I have 2 outboard motors at my house that were used on 28ft sailboats. Could probably cut you a good deal, one of them has never been run.

They both need a bit of work. They have been sitting for a decade or longer.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Dunno, but I can check when I get home from work. Shoot me a message on the telegram app at around 5pm, and remind me to check, I can also send pics easier that way too.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Done & done.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
[quote="toplitzin" post="464188854z
Also Legitimate Boat Rum:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusser%27s
[/quote]

I have this on hand, only because I can't get Lambs Navy Rum.
But the Pussers is good stuff. I also have the admiral's reserve version of it.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
You live in opulence, having AC, and a boat that isn't a glorified above ground pool/squirrel soup pot.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Glad you went with that motor, its likely to be WAYYY better than either of the ones in my garage. My Dad had bought the newer of the 2 about a decade ago for a sailboat that we used to have. He never even started it. The other one has also been sitting for about 15-20 years since we got rid of the boat it was on (yes at one point my Dad had 2 sailboats, and neither one of them were seaworthy).

Also I like the tags. And the cabinets are gonna be sweet. You may want to look into adding some chalkboard paint to some of them, for doodles, and lists. I have a giant chalkboard in my kitchen and its awesome for stuff like that.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

Oh poo poo you just uncovered the missus's surprise great idea of putting chalkboard paint on each drawer and door for labeling purposes

Sorry, didn't know it was in the works, and a surprise. :(

I was thinking a frame on the front of the doors, similar to a shaker style kitchen cabinet, where the center is chalkboard, and you can write lists and stuff on it.

I watch too much HGTV.

Also good to know the missus and I have similar ideas. He has good taste.

I have a little vinyl cutter, so thats how I label stuff like that anymore (I got it purposely for making stupid stickers).

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

I have no idea how I got this lucky adopting a dog

I know that exact feeling! My dog is super chill.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

MrsAdiabatic posted:

T_____ Richmond Yuppie/s Sailing Team

Help me finish this acronym so I can get ultra gay tank tops made for hubby and me that say TRYST on them. The world must know or at least wonder about our love.

I would rep those tanks in Annapolis for you guys.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Well drat! That looks like a fun commuter!
But its not the true suburban housewife mobile, if it was the GLC (used to be the ML class) it would be.

We need video with exhaust sounds.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Adiabatic posted:

Guys I am completely out of my element. I have no idea what I'm doing.

This car just surrounds you in opulence. The driver's seat has adjustable everything, a back massager, and the bolsters inflate when you go around corners. Both front seats are heated and cooled. There's nightvision in the nav screen and driver assist, whatever that is.

I keep finding little tiny things like the button in the trunk at eye level that closes it and locks all the doors, or the sensors on every door handle that unlock the entire car if you have the key in your pocket.

There's so many buttons and I have no idea what to do with any of them. I'm still getting used to having A/C.

The car just quietly putters along in the slow lane, and I'll roll onto the accelerator and suddenly before you can even gather what's going on you're going 100mph. Like, it doesn't feel fast at all. Rolling up to 100 from 50 feels slower than flogging the MR2 to 60 from 40. It's completely insulatory.

Then you hit the AMG button and the stupid thing becomes an entirely different car. 518hp completely on demand, rev-matching, what the gently caress am I in a Ferrari did the exhaust note just change why the gently caress is this old man car behaving like this where am I what just happened does that say 150 is this what dying feels like

You need a "Self Control" windshield banner for this.

That feeling is exactly why I bought the Volvo, while it can do over 100, it isn't exactly super excited about it, and around 75-80 is where is wants to be on the highway. I can't have something like that AMG, I will go to jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

bandman posted:

There’s a few mk2s out there with 2GRs. You could have a Lotus Evora of your very own, depending on how adventurous you feel.

I’ve drive one with. It is good and makes all the right noises.