Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Headliner? Is there enough room up there for something to crawl up and die? Or maybe a pillar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

streetlamp posted:

e: The ticking is the worst under no load, even with the AC running it starts going away and once you start moving it almost instantly disappears

Do these tend to stretch their timing chain?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its an old simple engine. It works and makes decent power. Other than heat issues it's a solid engine.

(Its a gm motor for all you folks getting your panties slowly bunched up)

It's a motor that GM decided was not worth making anymore. Made by the British.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hansolio posted:

Man, on the 06 - 08.5 GTI the PCV is a plate on the front of the head that's way easier to work with, I just replaced mine with a block off plate not too long ago. I guess part of "fixing" the oil consumption issues with the later engines was that PCV redesign.

Y'all are missing the point that a PCV valve is supposed to look like this:

Not that horse-poo poo German hot mess.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Nice, I think my dad has the same radial arm saw. Just, his doesn't look like it was left outside in the woods for 20 years.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Adiabatic posted:

Gonna find out why my gate keeps mysteriously opening, god damnit.

Can't keep those durn Subarus out :bahgawd:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I thought "stage X" clutches were tiers within a particular product line. Like the "Monster clutch" I see advertised on ls1tech all the time, comes in "Level 1" through "Level 4", with torque holding values raised appropriately through the line.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TWSS posted:

Dude, what the poo poo? Multiply that figure by ten and you have a price that makes sense. The shop I worked at charged $1500 flat-rate labour for an engine re&re and that was for the same engine that came out, so none of wiring hocus-pocus that you're going to put up with.

If there's fab and wiring work to be done I'd set the bar at a couple nice bottles. Maybe a Dalwhinnie, Macallan 12 and a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue because the box it comes in is very nice.

Well, presumably the owner is doing the work, right? He's still tying up Adiabatic's shop and probably will need some assistance here and there, but it's nothing like paying him to do the whole swap for him.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Amazon has some really cheap e-stop buttons, for what it's worth. Probably way less than any local place; I checked my local surplus electronics place and they wanted like $30!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

Truly, the wife is one of us.

Well, he does have an account :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

El Jebus posted:

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-42%22-Mobile-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest.product.100148149.html

Goes on sale for $100 less at the stores pretty often so you don't have to pay the shipping cost. Next time it does I am picking one up. I am so jealous of your shop...

Are those any good? Last time I saw one I played around with it a bit, and the drawers seemed pretty flimsy and the rollers weren't too great.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

This is one vehicle I hope to never see a stick figure family on the back of

Tempt not its hunger

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

But that's hard work :qq:

But that's the fun part :confused:

They don't know how good they have it, with a friend with a lift who's willing to let you tinker on your poo poo someplace besides the wet ground outside.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Adiabatic posted:

NO V6 SWAPS NO TURBOS

LS4 :getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

My 350k km old Toyota diesel had ovalled bores that were bad enough to need boring but couldn’t feel it or really see it. Take the block to a machine shop and get them to hot tank the castings and get the bores measured and the deck skimmed

Or, since you already have it apart, you can just measure them yourself. Get some bore gauges (if that's what they're called? the things that look like a T. My shop teacher called them snap gauges but the internet disagrees) and measure the bores at the top, middle, and bottom going both horizontally and vertically. It's not hard, just takes a little bit of time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meatpimp posted:

Well now... what have we here?

get out bart, im piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Adiabatic posted:

gently caress this I'm going to Guatemala.

now that is how you win at car projects