Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

been working on a robit for school

anyone wanna see a robit? i named him morty

my wife makes robits. Show me a picture of your robit to show to my wife and I will show you a picture of her robit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh cool, is Morty's chassis part of a kit? Looks like laser-cut MDF.

This is my wife's robit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMrmsh98zMc

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In my experience every robit project passes through a phase where everyone involved is ready to abandon the project and maybe go kill themselves.

Sometimes, later, the project gets un-abandoned and maybe even finished, but that's like, less than half of them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually it's astonishing that the guy didn't just cop a plea deal. That's how like 95% of cases go. It sounds like he hired a real lawyer, though.

Just remember, with an actual jury trial it's all about how the jury feels. If the prosecutor is making it clear that the guy went into Adiabatic's back yard and stole a bunch of poo poo, the jury's gonna slam him. The actual details of the facts don't matter that much.

I don't get this part, though:
1. They could only count the stuff that was in his hands in the pictures (barely over $200). All of the stuff he wasn't caught red-handed with in the pictures, including the engine, wasn't brought against him criminally.

Did they not find the actual stolen goods in his possession? Because possession is, as they say, "nine tenths of the law." Is he arguing that the stolen goods just sort of appeared at his house or what?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife always has spools of steel wire around for reasons, so I just cut a couple feet and make a big loop through a caliper bolthole and some piece of car, and twist-tie the ends together with pliars. No possibility of it falling even if I whack it with something, but still easy to kind of shove out of the way if it's hanging inconveniently.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or a deep, primal longing, one which the viewer never quite realized he had within him. A sense that there is another way to live, a jungle way, a way of fire and blood and dust and raw passion and uninhibited desires. This car says to an ancient part of the human soul that it doesn't have to be this way, this grand edifice of normal life, this beige, comfortable, pedestrian existence.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Storytime: I routed the black iron pipe to my liking and was like "hell yeah we have shop air!"

I came back from work to find he'd taken all of it down and re-did it to make sure every piece was level.

You guys are gonna kill me but, it shouldn't necessarily be level.

When air moves from a higher pressure to a lower pressure - such as when it goes from a high-pressure tank through a manifold and into your shop pipes while you are using air - moisture precipitates out of it. If your shop pipes are all perfectly level, that moisture will tend to collect along the bottom of those black iron pipes and rust them. If you keep the pressure in the pipe lower than the pressure in the tank, moisture will repeatedly precipitate out, then get reabsorbed, then precipitate out again, etc. etc.

You can mitigate this with appropriate moisture traps after every manifold where pressure can drop. But an additional precaution would be to make sure the pipe all slopes slightly, and then place a moisture release valve at the lowest point.

Note: I am not an expert on this poo poo, this is just my understanding.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

My girlfriend (not to be confused with my wife) got those for us because we were microwaving plastic plates and apparently that causes brain damage or something.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp

tl:dr; if it says "microwave safe" it basically is.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 22, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is a couple grand either way going to ruin you? Because if not, I say just sell the thing as it sits and move on to a project that excites you rather than fills you with angst and dread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love that 80 is halfway between 0 and 200.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

opengl128 posted:

A lot of cars compress the scale as you get higher. Makes sense, have the bulk of the speedo be spaced out more and be more readable, but also have it go to 200 so kids* are impressed.

What's weird is that it's not progressively compressed, it just... changes scale right at 120. Or possibly 125, impossible to say!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This will probably never be important, but just in case it is; simple green is an effective acrylic paint stripper. That means do not get it on anything acrylic or painted with acrylic.

I also use it diluted 10:1 as windshield wiper fluid... it gets bugs off the glass really well and doesn't seem to affect rain-x.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is that a ~6 inch Celestron or Meade equatorial (Newtonian) mount reflector? Looks like computer drive on both axes for easy-mode tracking. Got a decent set of eyepieces yet?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's also good to shop on the third-to-last day of the month. Maybe fifth-to-last-day. Then don't buy that day, regardless of whether you liked the deal. Call them back on the last day of the month and lowball the deal they offered you. Salespeople have monthly targets they try to hit and incentives for hitting them, so that's when your sales guy cares more about getting another sale than he does about the sale being a really good one.

This works best on cars they already don't want to keep around and aren't selling like hotcakes. That manual civic is a great example, because they know they can sell every automatic civic they get, but the demand for the manuals is way lower. The longer it's been lingering on their lot, the better.

A bad thing do when buying a car at a dealership is to go in feeling like you simply have to buy a car today. No, you don't. You can rent one if your current car is dead, and taking your time is pretty much always going to save you more money than the price of a rented car for a few days.

If you have to you can make an excuse. Last time I was shopping for a car, I was going by myself (it was really *my* car) but I always said "I have to talk about this with my wife first" if someone started with the whole "what would it take to get you into this car today" thing. I also refuse to answer the question of whether I'll be financing until we've agreed on a price. I want a price for the car, and *then* negotiate on trade-in if that's a thing (I haven't traded in a car but I helped my mother in law who was trading in a car), and *then* we can talk about financing, and that means "can the dealer offer financing that beats what my credit union is offering" which is sometimes the case.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How's the wife

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

happy to see Jörmungandr still doing service
guatamala looks really pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Halloween was yesterday. No scary pics today.

Today is Dia de los Muertos, what better day to resurrect the dead?