Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Well hey everybody! Friendly neighbor Adiabatic here. You may remember me from this:

Well, life's been busy since then. I recently bought a small place of my own to call home back in June. Plenty of stuff needs to be done, and like any sane person all the house money has been put into the garage.

This thread is planned as a collection of pictures and stories stemming from garage upgrades and visits from friends. They pay in beer. I'm never going to need to buy beer ever again.

Anyways, here's the garage:

It's a 25'x40' Quonset Hut installed by the previous owner. There's some really nice features (4" reinforced concrete, nice lighting, conduit, plenty of 220V service) and some not so nice features (the back wall looks like rear end, the garage door is heavy and one step up from garbage, random cabinets everywhere, that weird room in the back).

And the inside:

The PO was kind enough to leave an out of place granite-top cabinet, some shelves, a fridge, a parts washer, a wood stove, a shitload of 'Murican muscle stickers, and a morally questionable BASIL grow room.

Progress has been made since buying it in June, but I'll try to stagger the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

First things first, that room needs to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDIQ0gvnhYE

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks! That view is from the back of the house. It's got a tiny little front yard and then the gate opens up to all that. Blew my mind when I first saw it.

Hey at least he made an Ahnold yell.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Or: How I Learned to Stop Fixing poo poo and Love USAA

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

skylineboy08 posted:

e: oops im dumb

:mad:

Since cats are slipping out of bags already, might as well get on with it...

There was no housewarming party, as things got weird inside:

:psyboom:

However, I did buy myself a beer pong table as a housewarming gift:

Had a guy off craigslist do the whole deal for a great price. Dude just travels around installing lifts throughout Central Virginia. I had a garage party afterwards and he slept in his 40' flatbed in the backyard after out-drinking everyone. Cool guy.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Another view of the beer pong table:

Note the project car. It's a convertible automatic E30. A buddy and I rebuilt the head, but unfortunately the interior went to poo poo, so we've left it there and are hoping it will somehow disappear.

I put Mister 2-Slow up on the lift and did the oil pan gasket:

That thing really likes to leak. If you look closely over the course of the pictures, you'll notice a spot on the cement slowly growing.

Somehow the RVA Subies facebook group got wind of what I was doing despite never having owned a Subaru. No matter, they're welcome as long as they bring beer!

First customer was a WRX. We did a compression test and replaced his exhaust with a 3" from the turbo back:

His tab came up to an 18-pack of Yuengling, and he was nice enough to tip another 18-pack of Yuengling Black & Tan. Delicious!

A Legacy GT wagon did the exhaust from the turbo back, but kept his mufflers:

Another 18-pack of Yuengling worth of service.

A WRX came in for 4 struts:

This guy actually paid me in cash ($150), but it was 1/4 of what some "friend" of his was going to charge ($600 :stonk: ). I also threw in a sway bar replacement for free. That was a mistake.

I also inherited a riding lawnmower that hadn't been started in a few years:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Maybe before my rebuild :downs:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Gonna follow this thread, love all the garage-talk in AI lately even if it does make me jealous as all gently caress.

Where in central VA are you located? I'm up in Charlottesville but would definitely bring all the beer if it meant access to a lift and goon-times.

I'm in Richmond. Come on out!

In fact, if any AI goons are in the area you and your beer are welcome.

InitialDave posted:

What? $600 labour? It's like an afternoon's job, even without a lift, and taking your time because you keep going back in the house for another beer.

Yeah no joke. Poor guy was all excited about it until I told him I'd hook him up. I honestly still feel like $150 was too much, but I made that back up with that damned front sway bar.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

8ender posted:

wtf is going on with that paint inside? Did they paint the house during a monsoon?

No clue. The best explanation I've heard is they didn't wash the walls before they painted. It peeled off like an orange rind, and with a heat gun it was coming off in sheets.

Thankfully that mess is done and over with now.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yay! More Garage chat!

Why'd you go with a two post instead of a four?

Congrats on the new house! :)

Thanks! The four posts are more expensive, and in my mind they're more tailored for storage. The two-post also takes up less space when there isn't a car on it.

More updates soon!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's one of the generic Chinese 9,000 lb lifts that are sold under a billion different names. I bought it here. I'll grab a picture of the Engrish instructions tonight.

Everywhere I've read says 4" non-reinforced is fine for anything up to 10,000 lbs, and after that 6" non-reinforced is fine up to 20,000 lbs. Can't be within 18" of a crack more than ~2ft long though.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I rented one of my rooms out, and the guy is an electrician that dabbles in carpentry. Very cool dude, we get along well. You may have noticed his two bikes in some of the recent photos:

His two are on the left. The Yamaha needs a starter and the Honda V4 I don't even know. That red thing is a bike lift he also brought along.

Put this guy in a couple of weeks ago:

Installed, though my over-engineered mess of piping hadn't been constructed yet:

Northern Tool & Equipment, despite having some badass compressors, didn't have any vibration pads... I finally found some under the lovely air compressor accessory aisle at Lowes.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Here's the inside of the front door:

PO really liked stickers.

The cash register beer fridge:

Introducing the Quadrapuss:

He came with the house.

Finally, if anyone's into bow hunting, please come kill these horned rats that show up in my backyard daily:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Nodoze posted:

That cash register is not big enough

Totally agree with you.

So this next part is slightly ridiculous and requires a bit of backstory.

I support design and installation for major chemical plant equipment, so a large part of my job is pipe routing and specification. When the air compressor was installed, I thought how it might be neat to run a simple black iron header and build the takeoffs when required.

This obviously sperg'd out of control and now I have a compressed air system that cost me just as much as the compressor did. It's also only half constructed in my mind, and still needs some actual pipe support, but that will get in the way of my next project so I'm holding off on it for now.

It starts at the compressor:

I put in a 1/2" flexible hose section, which will eventually mate to a 1/2" in-line filter (hence the seemingly redundant gauge... it'll become a post-filter gauge).

Next the 1/2" black iron pipe runs along the side wall behind the janky toolboxes, and tees into a vertical section:

The lower vertical is a ball valve drain, and the upper vertical runs to the main header. Condensation from the gently sloping header will run to this vertical section, where it will trap in this main drain.

The first takeoff occurs right at the beginning of the main header, where it up-and-overs to a 4' vertical with a block-off valve and a drain before the filter-regulator-oiler combo. This then runs through another flexible hose into the reel.

Here's a close-up of the first takeoff, with the main drain conveniently located to the left:

The header then runs along the back wall until it caps:

The cap at the end is for a future header along the opposing side wall.

The second takeoff up-and-overs somewhere around the middle of the back wall (behind the loving weird wall cabinet in the previous picture), and is functionally identical to the first:

The system holds air just fine, and there's very little pressure loss at the regulators. The main drain absolutely pisses water, and the drains at the regulators always blow dry air, so I'll count that as a victory.

Sorry for the mess, but it's not staying that way for long... The next project is going to be demolishing those cabinets and building 30" deep hardwood ply cabinets with pre-made countertops along the entire length of the back wall. Should be about 18' worth of counter/cabinet space.

Also, sheets are going up on the back wall with pegboard over top of them, and all that janky cabinet mess on the back wall is getting 86'd. The aforementioned roommate dabbles in carpentry and has already supplied me with a BOM. I'm buying the raw material this Saturday.

As a little side project, I'm turning the all-too-familiar-by-now F20 motor into a coffee table. Here it is, surely up to no good with the Honda V4 and the battery tender:

Vagrants.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You're both in luck! I think the only thing we'll be doing that weekend is making cabinets. Come get your poo poo done and give me alcohol.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Veeb0rg posted:

Any reason you didn't turn the compressor to not have the air output sticking out. I wouldn't want to risk bumping it with something, having it break and all hell breaking loose.

Yeah, I wanted adequate airflow so it was either that position or facing the wall. I'll probably put a 90 straight off the valve at some point, since that 180° hose bend looks poo poo.

some texas redneck posted:

So lets say someone wants you to work on their S2000 that's starting to let the knocks out.

Would you run away screaming, or just quadruple your alcohol consumption for the week?

Please don't hurt me

:frogout:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Did some suspension and steering bits on Mister 2-slow the other day:

Those of you on Snapchat may have gotten to see some air hammer shenanigans.

Also, had a party a while back. Things may have gotten a bit out of hand...

This weekend I'm finally buying all that wood for the cabinets. Last weekend had a surprise "Lets go wine tasting in Charlottesville!" from girlfriend, so all my plans get put on hold.

There should be five six different cars coming this weekend to use the garage (including one two goons :stare: ). One guess which make all six are.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 24, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Had a coworker bring a Miata in today for some axle seals:

Went pretty smoothly. We also did a tire rotation and oil change before he sells it. He just bought a pretty white 2.5RS which he may be bringing tomorrow with all the other Subarus.

He brought some decent beer to drink while we were working. I'd never heard of it but it was pretty deliciously hoppy:

He also paid in Yuengling (good man). The state of the beer fridge:

Beer fridge is less sad.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I definitely overestimated your length of stay. 10am should still work if y'all are still down.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kmcormick9 posted:

Sup Richmond buddy? I have a turbo sw20 that needs a timing belt and clutch, which done together become a engine out job.
I have my own tools and lots of beer. Or 1 bottle of hardywood gingerbread stout.

I am not opposed to this.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

ARE YOU READY??????

:gooncamp:

Slow is Fast and Terrible Robot came by this morning. We replaced the rear trailing arm bushings and the front CV shafts on Terrible Robot's Lesbian Forester:

Terrible Robot and his buddy went to work on the CV shafts:

Slow is Fast reveled in the lack of rust and popped the trailing arms off in mere minutes.

We hosed up some bushings with the air hammer:

Squint method of PPE:

Beer fridge is getting happier:

Slow is Fast leaves for Maine:

Thanks for the sticker, bud:

All in all a good two hours of bullshitting and car repair. AI goons are some cool people.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Beer chat is fine by me. Just gives me ideas for the 100% of the time someone asks what kind to bring.

The rest of the Subarus today were uneventful. They also conveniently forgot to bring beer. Beer fridge is angry.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Finally found a lumber yard that won't dick me around for 10 sheets of plywood. Picking up cabinet material tomorrow morning :clint:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Finally.

Cabinets incoming!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

leica posted:

I don't understand why you had such a hard time getting plywood.

Have fun with the cabinets :)

It was more a problem with the company I was trying to buy it through.

kastein posted:

drat I'm jealous. Also, keep that granite countertop around, stone countertops are great for doing hot work on like heating up parts to shrink-fit over the shaft you have stored next to the beer, soldering, etc.

Come visit anytime. I have a crush on your deuce. Good call on the granite, I was considering selling it before you said something.

Slow is Fast posted:

Once the cabinets are built get a big rear end vice to bolt to it!

That is the main reason my roommate is helping with these cabinets. He has some fetish for vices or something. Any recommendations?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The one thing the PO of the MR2 told me was that the front suspension was solid.

Naturally, after replacing both wheel bearings, the plastic bushing in the rack, the rack mount bushings, and the sway bar links, the MR2 still had a horrible shimmy when you unloaded the front suspension. Turns out my strut mounts were complete garbage:

I didn't take many pictures, because honestly with the lift and power tools it took 15 minutes per side:

Right as I was finishing the passenger side and moving to the driver side, AI's own InitialDave showed up!

We chatted for a while and went out to eat, and talked a bunch about the differences between here and England.

Also he brought beer. Wow did he bring beer. My beer fridge doesn't know what the gently caress to do with this stuff:

He also brought some English soda of some sort:

I feel spoiled.

Have a fantastic trip Dave! You and your friend were cool people.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Good. I drank most of the Yuengling.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Cabinets have yet to start, as the roommate got all the parts he needed for his Yamaha's starter clutch. Certainly one of the more interesting vehicles up on the lift:

VVVVVVV Oh right, snapchatters got to see some sexy air hammer accosting of my roommate, and some dirty extension-on-access-hole action with the bike.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 3, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

poo poo. I forgot to take photos, but I did an oil pump on the woman's RAV4 this weekend. Cabinets eventually?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:siren: THINGS ARE HAPPENING :siren:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks bud! If you're ever in the area feel free to stop by.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dude with the Legacy wagon came over:

Came in complaining of a rotational clunk. His center diff is leaking like a motherfucker:

He's coming back with a used 5 speed and two cases of Yuengling eventually.

For now it's a 12 pack for diagnosis:

By the way InitialDave this is delicious:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks for the custom av, anonymous fellow beer-drinker!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fall!!! :unsmith:

Fall... :smith:

My favorite Subaru guy from the Subaru group (the one that brings the most beer, as well as the Dale's Pale Ale) came by to pick up InitialDave's Stoptech pads. While he was here I convinced him to change out his front struts:

He isn't very mechanically inclined, so I told him I'd show him how and all that. Here he is learning how to use air tools: :3:

Here I am drinking his Dale's Pale Ale:

It literally took 30 minutes, with me taking my time to teach and with a tire swap as well. New tires and new front ride height:

New currency in the cash register:

one case of yuengling for the brakes, one case of Yuengling for the strut job. :guinness:

Also holy gently caress InitialDave this Irn Brau stuff is god damned delicious:

You'll have to excuse me. As the seasons change I've seem to come down with a bad case of vertical-phone-itis.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

A slight derail: the current DD... Mr. 2-Slow.

He really really likes this garage.

He fancies it his home.

:words:

His previous owner assured me that, very specifically, the front suspension was new and would not give me any problems. I brushed this off, as the PO (a mechanical engineering student, therefore retard) didn't seem to know much about it aside from "SLAM CAMBER, AUTOCROSS, WOO".

Front suspension repairs so far:

Steering wheel would "set" 30° to the left if you loaded one corner, and set back to square dead nuts aligned if you loaded the opposite corner. A little research showed this to be the little plastic bushing inside the manual rack.

Popped it on the lift to replace the bushing along with the rack grommets, saw the sway bar links were incorrectly installed and one was busted and rattly, despite being new. Ordered both of them. While replacing the bushing I saw the inner tie rods were replaced. Apparently this, with improperly installed stab links, is "new front suspension". :rolleyes:

Before the sway bar links got here, I got a deep hum. Been down that road before. Ordered wheel bearings. Shook the tires down, found my passenger strut mount had failed. Ordered both.

Hum went away with the new wheel bearings, suspension play went away with the new strut mounts, but a vibration around 60 crept up. The tires were recently balanced and I didn't see any remnants of a weight that decided to end it all... turns out, the idiot never put centering rings on his sweet aftermarket Borbet rims. The ID of the rim is 73mm, and the hub ring OD is 60mm... ordered centering rings. :rolleyes:

The shake must have bumped poo poo loose, because my perfectly functional and no-signs-of-impending-doom driver's strut (the one without the mount problem) just started violently going wrong. It has a shake-down play like a ball joint that's about to pop out of its socket, only you can see the shaft moving independent of the body. :stonk: Centering rings are here, but the cartridges won't be until after Thanksgiving.

I've quit driving it until I can get strut cartridges replaced. Good loving god. I'm probably about $200 away from replacing every wear part in the front suspension, and I'm mulling over just doing it because they're all apparently time-bombs.

Every time I put this thing on the lift I see that idiot's cheeky grin in my head and hear him say "But the front suspension is perfect! You won't have to worry about that!"

I should've known, AI.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

And I bet you were wondering where all that beer went...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Out at my girlfriends aunts place in Augusta. Her boyfriend's got a bunch of cool toys. Pics to follow when I get back.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Went to Georgia this weekend. It was pretty god damned AI/TFR/TCC.

My girlfriend's uncle has a bunch of cool toys. He's got a workshop with a lift:

A wood stove:

A sweet metal bench with a vise:

Some other cool poo poo:

This thing:

All these things:

I drove that one in the foreground some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frYUU_ISgUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5qWtfEZZI

We also shot stuff:

Here's my girlfriend's brother-in-law shooting a tub of tannerite with a .30-06 (oops vertical video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2utgtOIWRE

I also shot a .45-70. God drat.

Got back to Richmond at 7pm last night, popped the new struts in the MR2 that arrived while I was gone, went to a local car meetup thing where I saw this amusing license plate:

All in all a decent holiday weekend. Back to the grind.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Moxie Omen posted:

Ah yes, I know that car! I would've been going to that meet if I wasn't otherwise in LA this week. >:|

Yeah? I met that dude that has the blue Mustang and does the videos on Youtube, and didn't realize it was him until he said something about it. Super nice guy.

Come find me next time you're out there on a warm Sunday. The MR2 is usually to the left under a tree, and I'll probably be with the anti-social Subarus in a Brembo hoodie.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I'm guessing you also drank the can of thinner?

:banjo:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Got the right OD hub rings finally. Just got back from the test drive and now I've got a constant vibration at 60, but it's half what it used to be when it was intermittent. One of the wheels must be out of balance.

Holy poo poo does it like corners now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Alright so after some time on the highway my vibration problem is still hugely apparent. It tends more towards the drivers side, gets worse when I put pressure on the drivers side, and I can feel weirdness in parking lots when turning right (again pressure on the drivers side).

No movement in the ball joints when I do a shake down, but the tie rod ends are stupid difficult to shake down with the slack in the rack and the fact that the rack is manual. Could this be an outer tie rod giving up the ghost?

Regardless, the (loving LESS THAN A YEAR OLD) tires are going to get road-forced soon.