Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That video would've been an all time classic if he had yelled OH YEAH as he burst through the wall. Rebuild the room and do it again. :colbert:

You have a gorgeous property, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah no joke. Poor guy was all excited about it until I told him I'd hook him up. I honestly still feel like $150 was too much, but I made that back up with that damned front sway bar.

Front swaybars on a turbo Subaru are so much fun.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Squint method of PPE:

OSHA-approved Mk7 Safety Squint

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whose trailing arm bushings look like a Brazilian gay pride parade? The TiC ones are just black.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress POs forever, man.

My Miata PO had a squeaky speedo cable, and dutifully greased it. The outside of it. With chain lube.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Saga incoming.

That's a weird looking Romanian prostitute. You might need glasses if you're going to keep it up with this kidnapping hobby.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I laughed so hard at the snap announcing the vise. I wish you were closer and we could do my trailing arm bushings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Marry him, if you have to.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

AcidRonin posted:

What the everloveing gently caress. I have cuts on my hands, their is awhat appears to be motor grease on my chest, everything tastes like HamSammies and Steel Reserve, I'm preatty sure me and another goon almost broke into a 711 while his fiancee watched, and I had realtalk with internet people.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it: AI has the best goon meets ever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Guess why? That jeep was a few steps ahead of his.

1. 0331 head cracks
2. Owner does not notice for too long
3. Coolant and oil form domestic partnership
4. Strange knocky sounds emanate
5. :ohdear:
6. Have new head installed and hope for the best
7. ???
8. :can: just imagine those are conrods, not worms!

I hope he caught his earlier than they did (not hard, based on the average car owners idea of the ideal time delay between "hear funny noise" and "take car for service") because otherwise, it is longblock time next.

If he brought home a whole motor from the junkyard I'm guessing he's already nuked his own longblock. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet Jesus, you do all that work just to end up with a loving Rover engine?

Maybe in some kind of emissions-controlled fascist kleptocracy like Blighty that's okay, but here in North America just put the shittiest cheapest hillrodded chevy small block you can find in there and it will still be better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I still would have preferred the periscope idea but I think you nailed it with that one.

kastein posted:

WTF, that's a bullshit repair. I expected better. You didn't use a grade 8 bolt.

:lol:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Stick a nipple tassel over it.

A little fez.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Only Subaru owners would take boudoir shots of their cars being broken.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

No, not really.

This is like one of those nature films where an eagle swoops out off the cliffs and kills and eats a weaker bird.

Except both birds are dead and the camera is blurry and shaky because of all the tears.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Yep so coming out was TD04 turbo (I guess they're also called 16G?) and going in was a VF-43.
The stock turbo in the 02-08 WRX is a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T. You're installing a previous-generation USDM STI turbo (the IHI VF43, 07 STI).

The latter number-letter combination in TD04-13T indicates the wheel setup; there is also a TD04-19T which, while not supplied by Subaru in any production car to the best of my knowledge, spools a little faster and is a little better matched to a 2.0L WRX than the stock turbo. It's not really worth it if you have a 2.5L WRX like the one shown (06-07) pushing on it though.

The TD04 spools really fast (ridiculously so with the proper gearing) but has very little top-end puff, while the VF43 spools almost as fast and has a little more top-end before it runs out of steam.

I think the L means "rotated," but I'm not sure.

A "16G" turbo is DSM-ese for their own popular Mitsubishi TD05H-16G turbo upgrade, which I don't think is the same thing. No idea what the "H" means. Some JDM WRXes had TD05s as well, but who cares about those, you guys drive on the right side of the road.

Usually when you upgrade to the STI turbo you also want to run the STI intercooler, which your victim has already done. Give them a hearty handshake and good luck with the remap.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 1, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You kill any burglars yet with your AK?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Stripper Ashley has terrible taste in wheels.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Those titanium exhausts are hilarious. When they came out at my local shop I was like "I like the looks of that but the fake blued tip is too ricey for me, can I order it without the blued tip?"

The answer is no. The rice is mandatory.

One enterprising apprentice offered to take a grinder to my $1300 titanium exhaust to get rid of it.

Now I drive a car worth less than that exhaust. Priorities??

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Have you been following any dump trucks recently?

Dude and I talked, dude apologized for being an idiot. We're doing his clutch next Monday night and over the next couple days afterwards, to give some time for him to get his flywheel resurfaced, because he "didn't know he needed to do that".

Isn't it a dual-mass flywheel on that generation of Legacy GT? I think you need to order a fresh one, friend.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

:ohdear: "What do you mean, they cut the power? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!"

It would explain the cans of Monster that he keeps finding littered around his yard and the Plastidip stains under his bedroom window.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Looks like it's just the wind. Caught the culprit blowing the gate open violently this afternoon.

Getting a better latch that can't be actuated by hoodscoops or Hella Supertones?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

I'm the opposite, I buy all the parts and they sit there for a year :v:

Right now in my shed I have all the parts for a Miata water pump/TB job that have been sitting over a year, and a full set of struts and brakes for the Camry that have been there for months.

The house is taking priority at the moment and that list isn't going to end any time soon :(

Not doing stuff with a harem of parts club :respek:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Astonishing Wang posted:

And who the heck orders a clutch on ebay? Guy needs to go back to school.

The Gripforce poo poo for Subarus is ridiculously cheap, apparently pretty good, and appears to only be available on eBay.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm tempted to see what would happen to the heater core if you poured some evaporust in there and drove around for a few minutes. It's supposed to be cooling system safe, maybe you could clean it out enough to put off a full heater core job.

E: apparently they make a concentrate form that's easier to run in a rad with straight water. You run the engine to get it warm and then let it sit overnight to eat rust.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 20, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Evapo-Rust is basically molasses so there's not a lot of weird caustic poo poo in there to eat up your engine. If you leave it for long enough it should dissolve any substantial rust flakes into solution so it won't clog the fins or the endtank jets.

Just curious because I wanted to try it, and here we are with an already-dickered cooling system to try it on!

CLR would probably have similar results too. Play the Comanche Lottery.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

One of the cooler Subie guys is talking about doing a "JDM '01 Legacy BH5 GT-B E-Tune II twin turbo" swap.
Does not compute. Nobody cool wants a lovely twin turbo EJ.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah I heard they aren't great but maybe it's just the novelty of it?

They are mega turds. I would rather pay a Japanese dude to slap me in the face with his dick for an hour for $7000 before I picked up one of those poo poo rods because at least it would be over faster and I wouldn't have to get it plated.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Turbo inlets are one of the many reasons I am glad to no longer own a turbo Subaru. gently caress a whole shopping cart of that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Turbo inlets should now be easy-mode:

Hahahaha.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That is the best project thread update I think I've ever seen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Also it's way easier to pull an axle by detaching the swaybar endlink than it is to pull a ball joint. But maybe it doesn't rust as badly where you are.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Honestly I just want to see the look on the face of the guy at Home Depot when I leave with a shopping cart filled to the brim with big red buttons.

Ask me what project I'm doing, motherfucker. I dare you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm proud to know you loving maniacs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The Chekhov's Vise has been sighted. Who among you will pick up the challenge?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is it a turbo Forester?

Does he have an up-pipe for you to install while you're in there?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

"The location for any open burning shall not be less than 50 feet (15240 mm) from any structure or combustible materials and provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading to within 50 feet (15240 mm) of any structure."

Who in the US knows what millimeters are but doesn't feel like they should convert that poo poo to loving meters?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man I would get so much poo poo done in that garage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man I wish I had room for a starter mig. So jealous, you are embarking on a magical journey through time and space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man now that you've told the cops, you can't shoot him.

It's not like he left a note saying where he was going, you could get the body chopped up and disposed of long before anyone comes looking.