Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea the socket violating the side cover was the funniest snap Ive seen in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

By the way InitialDave this is delicious:

Oh man I love that bottle!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

When I get down there next I'm bringing you some baller allagash poo poo.

Oh man allagash is the poo poo. I was chugging triple ale at an Oktoberfest one year and blacked out. Found out later it was like 9% but it so didnt taste like it. Good poo poo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Its time for some thrillin' heroics

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Better hold onto that CRT, how else will you watch all those drag race tapes?

Old CRT makes the best shop TV. I have my childhood 27 incher in my shop for watching roundy round on Sundays :banjo:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I dont know a lot about guns but I do know those rounds are loving huge and its hilarious. Good luck with those.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea that owns

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I think regasketing an otherwise perfectly running engines is one of my favorite projects. Just did it to one of my lawnmowers this winter and now its all clean and nice and the oil stays inside.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think anyone in the entire world enjoys doing the valve cover gasket on DOHC Subaru engines.

Oh no doubt, thats why I take the engine out and do them all. Its just another maintenance item like timing belts or oil changes.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea the Subaru harness has big connectors in easy logical places to remove various large systems. They kick rear end. VAG cars are the same way. American cars or GM at least are the opposite, have one big harness and they can lick my rear end as far as Im concerned, gently caress them and I refuse to work on bullshit like that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nice, this is why AI owns.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

If you have a grinder get wire wheels for it. Mine is my favorite thing but warning it will add HOURS to every project. So worth it though. I think it took me like 2 hours to do the oil pan on my outback last time because I had to clean all 20 or whatever bolts that hold it in.

Seconding ultrasonic cleaner. I got one off Amazon I think for like 80 bucks and I find reasons to use it, it's magical and great. I put diesel in it, I'll have to try the simple green, see how it does.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Note on the wire wheel: you will find wires stuck in your clothes, in your skin, and all over the god drat garage for loving MONTHS if not years after the fact.

Oh my god yes the amount and how far they go into skin is crazy. I can't imagine how bad it would be to take one to the eye. I keep a face shield right next to it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

Nobody mentioned but it is written on the bottle IIRC that simple green shouldn't be used on aluminium. Not that there's any on that engine but something to keep in mind.

Yea that and purple power in case anyone didn't know that one is bad for aluminum also.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ferremit posted:

It’s worse when it grabs that little M6 bolt and fires it across the workshop at roughly the velocity of a .22 round never to be seen again

I used to work for a NASA contractor that built the life support system for the space suit and that happened to a part I was working on. A tiny impeller that went into the fan/pump/seperator that was probably about the size of an M6. Part at that point was probably worth near 5 thousand bucks at that stage of the build and was never found. It was the guy on the assembly floor that did it, not me, but my job was keeping the trace paperwork for parts and it sucked trying to figure out a way to explain to the government how we lost a part with a lead time of almost a year.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea definitely replace the bearings while you have it apart. It'll last another 200k easy with bearings and rings. How's the crank surface on 3? That bearing didn't look great but at least it isn't down to the copper. I built a VR6 using plasticgauge that held together running 23lbs if boost so it'll be fine using it. With new rings just pay close attention to the gap. It's easy to do and super important. If you have or can borrow a bore gauge I'd give those a measure just to make sure there's no ovaling and even wear top to bottom. Should be good with all that crosshatch still there but doesn't hurt to give it a looksee.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

You must get a great shaft, a tremendous shaft, the best shaft anyone has ever seen, believe me. I've seen a lot of great shafts in my time but this should be a big beautiful shaft.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Agreed. Using the dingle ball is ok for just a refresh like you are doing. The 2 things Cleetus didn't do that well was just using WD and the cross hatch should have been closer to 45 degrees, his angles were kinda small. Way more lube like engine oil and 45 degree cross hatch will be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I wondered why they didn't do it. Guess that answers that question.