Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Getting a better latch that can't be actuated by hoodscoops or Hella Supertones?

Or Rally Armor mud flaps...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

kastein posted:

nix these, do the rest. :banjo:

Seriously this. My front yard is taken care of weekly by Juan but my backyard is a weed fest, and not good weed. Man, gently caress HOAs.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Super glad you said HF. I have a thing against designer toolboxes. What a dang waste of money, in my humble opinion.

I was gonna go on a diatribe about never paying more than $400 for a toolbox but I just looked up the one you're talking about and it's $390...

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-42%22-Mobile-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest.product.100148149.html

Goes on sale for $100 less at the stores pretty often so you don't have to pay the shipping cost. Next time it does I am picking one up. I am so jealous of your shop...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I remember reading a lot of negative reviews on toolbox forums.
The drawers ARE pretty flimsy, but it's way cheaper than buying a snap-on.

:ninja: edit: also the drawers are sort of odd heights and that door is stupid.

From what I can tell, the drawers are decent but the casters suck. The door seems to get the most complaints by people wondering what they would put in it. I thought the drawers are as good as the Matco benches at school, but I haven't loaded the Costco box full of tools and tested it (because I don't have one yet). For $500 I'll get it and post a review here next time it is on sale.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man now that you've told the cops, you can't shoot him.

It's not like he left a note saying where he was going, you could get the body chopped up and disposed of long before anyone comes looking.

The neighbor already knows.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

SuperDucky posted:

That blows, man. I leave the keys in both of my cars, unlocked, with my camera, laptop, sailing gear in it all the time at the house. I've never been worried...until now. Here's hoping you get your engine back.

I had someone steal tools out of my garage recently because I accidentally left the garage door open for a few hours unattended. Did they take the makita drills? The torque wrenches? Hundreds of dollars worth of brewing equipment? No. They stole the half empty craftsman socket set sans ratchets, a box of 6 qt 5w30, an old skil drill and flashlight set without any batteries, an orbital sander and a circular saw. I'm way more paranoid about it now and I've recently put up a couple cameras. gently caress thieves, even when they only steal about $100 worth of stuff.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Also assembled the steering stabilizer:

That looks like suspension equipment for a HD Sportster.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

:allears:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

kastein posted:

On a WJ, since it's got 3 separate links, you:
- align track bar to center axle
- align tie rod to set toe, get both wheels pointing "straight" forward
- align drag link to center wheel.

Or what I do:
- align it well enough to drive the 1 mile to my favorite tire/wheel/alignment shop, throw $60 at them and it drives perfectly straight and doesn't burn up tires.

If you disconnected the steering box from the steering column you'd have to also worry about not ruining the clockspring but fortunately you're working downstream from the steering box's built in steering stops so you're all set.

This is really my suggestions, too. Get it good enough to go to your favorite tire shop with a real machine. It really is worth the money to me to have them use the Hunter or whatever brand they use to get it dialed in right. They usually won't add charges if you don't like how it feels afterwards and want an adjustment.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Studly.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

I have eyes for only one man. The rest are women.

Called the machine shop - They said the crank polished out great and the head's in spec. They're doing a valve job, pulling the freeze plugs, and cleaning everything. Should be tomorrow or Friday!

You shouldn’t call the new girlfriend “the machine shop”, even if she is an engineering student. Also, niiiiice.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

MSRP was $20,370. I paid less than that and got what I wanted out of the Merc thankfully. I first went to Toyota and they tried to gently caress me 8 different ways over the course of 2 hours until I finally got fed up and left. Went to Honda looking for a Fit, and the Civic I bought was literally the only manual on their lot.

Wow, that was almost the exact opposite of our experience. We went in to Honda to look at a red civic they had on their website. Apparently the sales team were in a meeting and wouldn't send someone out to sell us the car. We asked the mechanics and they couldn't do it. So we left. Toyota had no manual cars except a 2016 Corolla S that was ... ok. But they were super nice and really wanted to sell it to us. We eventually talked ourselves into the used base WRX with 1200 miles.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Know what you want to buy, for how much (take 10% off and try to hit that number), and exactly how much your trade-in is worth. Bring print-outs of all of that.

Don't sign anything until you're buying the car.

Understand that rear end in a top hat salespeople will create a false sense of urgency and their mission is to get you to buy in the heat of the moment.

Your best ammo is not needing a car and walking the gently caress out and taking like a week at least to shop around at different dealerships and pit them against eachother. Get a deal in writing then show it to every other dealership in the area and tell them to beat it.

Always ask if the deal is contingent on their financing and going to full term on it. Always ask for the price of the vehicle after financing and the APR if you're financing.

Have people that aren't there that are good with numbers to bounce stuff off. I had a Telegram chatroom of friends I was talking to the entire time.

If you follow those you probably won't get hosed.

This is all true.

Problem for us was that our Mini was in the process of making GBS threads the bed and we wanted it gone.

Toyota didn't try to pressure is at all and I think they realized we knew what we wanted to pay because we already had financing lined up.

Honda wouldn't even send a sales person down to help us.

Subaru was very much like your Honda experience. We walked in, pointed at the car, and they gave us the price and the various options. We countered, they thought about it, asked if we already had financing, and then accepted. It went super smooth and fast. Offered us next to nothing on a mini worth next to nothing and the mini literally died in their parking lot. It was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

He's doing well. We've both gotten into rock climbing pretty hardcore. Headed out to Joshua Tree in June.

He's trying to buy a place down here but the market is ludicrous.

June eh? Should still be cool enough to not immediately die from heat stroke.