Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Yay! More Garage chat!

Why'd you go with a two post instead of a four?

Congrats on the new house! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea the socket violating the side cover was the funniest snap Ive seen in a while.

I just joined snapchat and it was one of the first I got :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

Looks like it's just the wind. Caught the culprit blowing the gate open violently this afternoon.

I had that happen with my gate once. I went after it with a phillips had screwdriver and gave it a good stabby stab.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

rndmnmbr posted:

Is the old Lincoln or Miller SMAW buzzbox bought at a farm sale for $50 not a thing anymore? I mean, I understand that MIG is easier to learn than stick, but I personally find it hard to beat the value of old stick welders. They're super cheap, they never break, electrodes are cheap as hell, and if you learn electrode sizing and proper amperage control you can weld anything under the sun with them, from thin sheetmetal to structural steel. Only downside, they're 220V only.

Yeah, the Lincoln 'tombstones' as they're sometimes called are pretty legendary. My dad has one that HIS dad used to weld when he was a kid. It's heavy as gently caress too so it could also be used to inflict blunt force trauma in the event that you need to defend your home/garage :)

I've got a stick/tig everlast and while stick is definitely harder, it's nice that it's so much more portable since you don't need gas or to worry about wire feed.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

I can use this thread for garage/house projects and the occasional bit of car work if y'all are interested in that sort of thing, or close it in hopes that I'll get back into the swing of things before it falls to the archives.

Now it's starting to sound like what my thread became before it fell to archives :)

I can't speak for everyone, but I enjoy the house projects. Though, I'm also a jerk that posts about them in AI, so... :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

MrsAdiabatic posted:

https://youtu.be/NecQolGJB2s
Disregard women, devour cocks

That's really coming together. I like the choice to use wood on the wall above the countertop .

Are you going to close up the garage door end of the garage too? I'd think that'll help keep heat in, plus you don't run the risk of having to deal with fiberglass falling out.

Are you going to finish the surface of the drywall you put up? I personally dislike the how the paper discolors over time a lot.

I might have missed it too, but how did you mount the vice to keep it secure? Or is it just so heavy that it's own weight keeps it secure?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

bolind posted:

Good ATE discs also come coated with this galvanized zink* that works the same way. It's worn off on the first application, but leaves the rest of the rotor rust free:

*) I'm clearly not in materials science.

Y are u using a kids playmat as a kneepad? :v:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

That email is quite possibly the best loving thing ever. after reading that I'd even own the goddamn thing.

Me too. I love his commitment to staying with it after so many transmissions.

The interesting question I can't help but ask myself is, if you replace the tranny with something stronger than the unit it has, then push it, what breaks next? Axles? Diff? Something else?

My money is on diff, and I bet it'll be fun pushing it to that place :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

He has SO MANY spares right now and I'm coming home with at least two. He said he'd rebuild one to his current specification with WRX internals and a Forester case, and send it off with me.

I totally missed the 'WRX internals' detail my first time through. Is STI really the only next step? With how lego like Subaru is it seems like a Tribeca tranny or something weird should be an option. Or maybe cryo treating WRX internals (or is that just weak snake oil?)?

All of this Forester chat is making me miss the one I owned a few years back and it wasn't even turbo. First gen sport package, man that was a fun car. I'm looking forward to reading about the adventures you get up to with this thing :)