Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
wtf is going on with that paint inside? Did they paint the house during a monsoon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

One of my worktops is some home made monstrosity made with 2 inches of plywood covered in 1cm thick steel that I pulled out of someones garbage. I like to think that some 1950's dad set out one weekend to build a worktop that would survive those commie nukes and succeeded magnificently.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Its very pleasing to sit in your garage and watch others tinker away while you drink beer like some sort of alcoholic foreman

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sinestro posted:

BMW? Nikasil is a lovely fuel problem, not an engine problem. They kept some engines in production for way too goddamn long, like the M10, M20, and M30, but I can't think of an engine they made that was actually -bad- when it was new.

I want to say the newer N54 for the fuel pump issues but in standard BMW fashion it isn't the engine that is the problem its everything else surrounding the engine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Missed opportunity to mount a roof scoop

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Stack dump on your kitchen floor

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I can't even imagine being stingy with the beers when you're borrowing an entire lift and garage. A proper sized stack of beers would be like 1/8th the cost of his HELLAS

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

TWSS posted:

My local LCBO no longer stocks zywiec and it breaks my heart. Labatt 50 is pretty close though.

Labatt 50 is the gods nectar and I'll have no one convince me otherwise :colbert:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Should also be nice for when German spawns of Satan come for more oil catch cans.

Those won't save you because after you gently remove the hose clamp the plastic pipe and hose will turn to dust.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Houses are like really gigantic lovely cars that don't move and randomly empty your wallet like an Italian supercar so it's still a good fit for AI

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think I've ever thought to wire wheel a slide pin. Does it actually work? I usually just towel off the grease with a little pressure and replace the pin if it gets mad bad.

I find they last progressively less long each time you do it than a new one would before they rust to poo poo again. I banged the stupid pin out of a family members Accord front caliper three times over a 2.5 year period before I told him to just give up and buy a new caliber.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

Y are u using a kids playmat as a kneepad? :v:

They are seriously the best work mats. I have like 20 stacked in my garage that I stick together like lego and slide under cars.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

scuz posted:

Neglecting to do this caused many odd noises on my Golf :downs:

Not doing this on a BMW E34 results in WORLD ENDING SHIMMY at high speeds

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I dunno, man. Cats are suckers for being slightly higher than their surroundings.

Put a single sheet of paper up there and the cat will be all over it. Cats love sitting on paper I don't understand it

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Is it weird that I'm afraid of the repercussions? It's like taking a dead rabbit away from a wolf. No I'm just gonna keep feeding it rabbits.

If it's anything like my old bikes then plugging the transmission leak will just cause it to leak in new and exciting ways

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

It's testing you

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Used a level. Mounting bracket was level. The rest of the building, however, isn't anything resembling plumb or square. I gave in and mounted it a bit crooked just so it would appear level in comparison to the fireplace and floor. The shelving unit next to my desk is driving me crazy too - it's flush with the baseboard at the base (so half an inch from the wall), but about 6 inches away from the wall at the top. :argh:

Having flashbacks of doing a bathroom reno in my 100+ year old house last year. I started with plans to do a tile floor and a new tub and ended up demoing more and more of the bathroom trying to find some way to get everything level and square.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

LOOK WHAT THE BOAT HAS DONE TO YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bald tire problems around here have gotten considerably worse now that everyone is buying a CUV/SUV/NOTAWAGON and it comes with 18" rimzzz running an ultra expensive low profile tire

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Your life sounds confusing

The part where he eats off plastic plates but owns a Benz or everything else?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

There's one out there. No idea why they aren't using it.

a: subaru owners

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

German cars always have one thing that goes wrong that catastrophically fucks most of the drivetrain. It's like the weak point in a boss fight.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

shy boy from chess club posted:

Oh no doubt, thats why I take the engine out and do them all. Its just another maintenance item like timing belts or oil changes.

This is the right idea. If you're touching your Subaru wonder box at all then just go all in and replace everything rubber

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

now I want to know how many axles kastein has on his property

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I had the bad version of this experience with my Audi A3. Timing belt jumped a few teeth at 3000rpm and I had a pile of sad rocker arms scattered under the valve cover. Timing belt and tensioner weren't due for another 20k >:(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I can't keep up with your current preference for men or women but I don't care as long as rods are being polished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When you start getting deathwobble the general consensus is pretty much just replace everything in the front end because that's what you end up doing chasing the issue anyway :v:

As both an E34 and E39 BMW 5 series owner I feel a certain kinship with Chrysler death wobble owners. I understand your pain and will press out a bushing from a discarded thrust arm in your honour.