Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've been planning to do some found photography work for a while now, and just recently I got the impetus (i.e. grabbing a bag of Betacam tapes destined for recycling at work) to work on found video, too.

I've set up a tumblr blog called Regauss to hold this stuff. I've got plans to work on non-found video art too, but that's another thread.

I know other folks around here do found stuff (MrBlandAverage I'm looking at you), so here is a place to post it.

To start off, I've digitized a tape of The New Adventures of Speed Racer that my brother and I watched when we were kids. It was a cartoon from the early 90s with somewhat low production values. I've been cutting clips out and also making slightly amusing edits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3OYfon2vnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSM6tWvQkvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpiMQrLIFUA

For now, my capture rig consists of a Panasonic AQ-7350 S-VHS VCR and a MiniDV camcorder connected (in this case) via composite and in the future via S-Video. MiniDV has lovely chroma subsampling, so I'll probably wait to really get into the Betacam and Digital Betacam stuff until I've got a better capture device, though I might post preliminary captures here.

So far I have Betamax, VHS, Betacam SP, Digital Betacam, D2, DVCPRO, DVCCAM, U-Matic, and a couple reels of 8mm film and 1" Type C videotape waiting to be digitized or at least evaluated for interestingness, but I only have equipment to read Betamax, VHS, and Betacam-related formats, and U-Matic S. I'm always getting more tapes in at work, but new equipment is more of a rarity.

I've also got a box of someone's slides, but that's for later.

:justpost:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I have a Tumblr where I put my found photographs: http://ifoundthisphoto.tumblr.com/

Some of my favorites so far:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

I have a Tumblr where I put my found photographs: http://ifoundthisphoto.tumblr.com/

This loving rules. Are you pulling this stuff off the bottom of people's driveways or actively looking for it at flea markets etc.?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
The eggs and statue guy are awesome.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXD4nCLcaJk

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_4MZm12psI

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

try it with a lime posted:

This loving rules. Are you pulling this stuff off the bottom of people's driveways or actively looking for it at flea markets etc.?

I'm mostly finding it at paper/collectibles/antiques shows and at junk shops. There's a few eBay sellers I buy from occasionally as well.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i am working on my video destruction techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW71pEM_52Q

for this one: proper vcr > vcr dubbing resulting in good generation loss, cranking record audio level to maximum over successive generations for distortion, pinching tape in transport to slow it down, pushing a pen against the video head drum to slow it down, and accidentally pulling the tape off the drum during the last chorus

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

you find the weirdest and best poo poo

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

you find the weirdest and best poo poo

Yup. You've definitely inspired me to do some rummaging.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Thanks!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what were the enclosed folder's tips?

also that last one owns

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

DJExile posted:

what were the enclosed folder's tips?

also that last one owns

I didn't see the folder, just the picture with that sticker.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Where do you find the negatives at? Are you just grabbing them from garage sales?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pukestain Pal posted:

Where do you find the negatives at? Are you just grabbing them from garage sales?

I generally buy prints, not negatives. Also,

MrBlandAverage posted:

I'm mostly finding it at paper/collectibles/antiques shows and at junk shops. There's a few eBay sellers I buy from occasionally as well.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Pukestain Pal posted:

I visit a ton of antique shops, flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales etc on a weekly basis. I never ever see negatives.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Whitezombi posted:

I visit a ton of antique shops, flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales etc on a weekly basis. I never ever see negatives.

Every time I get some old camera from the thrift store, the very first thing I do is pop the back open without looking. More than half the time there was film in it. One day I will learn to control this impulse and maybe find some cool images.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I have seen negatives and more often I see slides, but I'm not gonna carry around a loupe and light table to evaluate whether I should buy them.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I have a bunch of garbage slides kickin' around. I like the idea of finding negatives and slides because part of me takes delight in knowing that the images have been abandoned at their source.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I pulled this out of a melting snowbank a few years ago. Not quite "the loving trash" but pretty close - it was already litter when I found it.
Found: "March 2009" by Execudork, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Toasty!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a fantastic photobomb

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I found these about ten years ago at an antique store in the Lake City district of Seattle. I always liked them, lost them, found them again, and scanned them. Third one was a mistake that I thought improved the end result.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Recently came across 150+ glass plates that are probably 70-100 years old.

Some of them are fine and ready to be scanned with a little dust blowing, others are pretty grungy with mud and dirt, some are totally covered in mold, on both the back and emulsion sides.

Anyone have any advice for cleaning them?

I've seen conflicting reports online ranging from just gently swab even the emulsion side with distilled water to DO NOT TOUCH THE EMULSION AT ALL IT WILL COME OFF.

The mouldy ones especially would need some serious effort put in to make any image appear and I don't know if there's a safe way to do that without damaging the emulsion.

Quick snaps of a couple:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
how do you go about finding old glass plates?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
They were found in an abandoned house.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

It is 2015. I now have a functional Betacam digitization setup. I've been planning this video since I discovered the tapes I bought on eBay weren't blank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyzmlNuTZJw

Best watched in :krad: 720p60 :krad:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

They were found in an abandoned house.

Not good enough. I want to hear the full story - with pictures.

At Carpet Giant, we have BOTH footage and yardage!

alternatively: Touch it again. Touch the label again. Smile! Smile, dammit!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

At Carpet Giant, we have BOTH footage and yardage!

alternatively: Touch it again. Touch the label again. Smile! Smile, dammit!

I obscured the original soundtrack with background filler from the camera guy recording pans across carpet samples, and with a recording of vent fans. If I hadn't you'd hear the director going from "I'll make an actor out of you" to "Don't screw up this time."

That tape is 26 minutes of dozens of flubbed takes. It's amazing.

At ansel autisms' suggestion I'm planning to dub some Steve Reich on top of it.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 30, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
that's some tim & eric poo poo right there

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

It is 2015. I now have a functional Betacam digitization setup. I've been planning this video since I discovered the tapes I bought on eBay weren't blank.

I love you

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

This is fantastic, Bruce Nauman carpet salesman.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

I will gladly post the scans if someone can give me advice on how to clean them up but would rather not say more about the location at this point because some of the people in the Japanese urbex scene are a little prone to drama.

The location itself is not that interesting as far as these places go though so you're not really missing out on anything, the plates are by far the coolest part of the story.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

argh now I can't decide between Steve Reich's Piano Phase or part of William Basinski's Disintegration Loops or any one of several other ambient pieces I've got that could fit.

and I have to have the video ready by the end of tomorrow :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Reich probably works better if only because Disintegration Loops get used a lot for everything. Tim Hecker or Oneohtrix Point Never maybe?

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread