Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Stoat posted:

if only you could eat the hat, enjoy your starvation

I'm spriggan so :dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how are you supposed to do a beogh game? someone said not to bring your orc dudes into elven halls. seems like bringing them into spider nest would be bad since they don't resist poison, and swamp and shoals might be bad if they're all stuck in the water? or do you just take em everywhere

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

how are you supposed to do a beogh game? someone said not to bring your orc dudes into elven halls. seems like bringing them into spider nest would be bad since they don't resist poison, and swamp and shoals might be bad if they're all stuck in the water? or do you just take em everywhere
nameless orcs are going to die anyway. your big orcs with names and stuff are going to be fine against most stuff, since they're really strong. spiders wont be a big deal since they suck against anything with high AC.

imo the main thing you need to be careful of is AOE attacks, especially cloud spells. a death drake in a corridor can wipe out your whole party, for example. elf also tends to be a problem just because everything casts spells, i would still take some orcs along though. its just smart to always keep a reserve army.

and swamp and shoals are annoying due to water, yes.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

the last time played beogh i just got a ton of orcs from the mines and took them to swamp and spider. it weeded out the weak ones and left me with a few good orcs that were actually useful

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I feel like beogh would approve of that method

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

did they weaken rpois? i'm getting poisoned a lot by early game stuff

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how do i give an item to a named orc follower

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Parallax Scroll posted:

how do i give an item to a named orc follower

it should be one of your abilities you may not have enough piety

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Swelter Discharge posted:

it should be one of your abilities you may not have enough piety

that must be it, i'm at ****

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep trying to play an Octopode Transmuter but I don't know how to play octopodes or transmuters or most gods or this game really.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Ion Helmet posted:

I keep trying to play an Octopode Transmuter but I don't know how to play octopodes or transmuters or most gods or this game really.

The most important thing is to not be a coward. Never run from a fight.

Also page 27....!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ion Helmet posted:

Get rings or die trying

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

transmuters want to run for blade hands as quickly as possible IMO.

they also don't want to be octopodes

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

in trunk the rings dont meld anymore i think or jsut 2 of them instead of 8

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Parallax Scroll posted:

did they weaken rpois? i'm getting poisoned a lot by early game stuff

back in 0.15 yeah (sort of)

Humans Among Us posted:

in trunk the rings dont meld anymore i think or jsut 2 of them instead of 8

they don't meld rings at all in most forms, yeah. (except for stuff like pigform, but that melds rings for everyone.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

pigform, but that melds rings for everyone.

yet more catering to the HAM

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ion Helmet posted:

Should I worship Yredemnul?? Dithmenos maybe? I have a ring of stealth and maybe I should go all in on sneaking around.

DONT tell me the loving snail god because running away from everything is my whole strategy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

optms are bad

okuwaru is extremely good for them for the heroism skill boost (which will keep you alive) and ultimately finesse, but you lose out on the other big draw of oku which is free stuff - you don't use weapons or armour so his gifts are limited to a selection of fashionable hats

ashenzari would be good because he'd give you extra skills, except you barely have any armour slots, you don't use weapons, and if you want to be bound in magic you need to curse eight rings.

maybe try Ru if you're playing trunk? give up stuff you don't care about, get piety, get some abilities that will let you not die

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ion Helmet posted:

Should I worship Yredemnul?? Dithmenos maybe? I have a ring of stealth and maybe I should go all in on sneaking around.

DONT tell me the loving snail god because running away from everything is my whole strategy

maybe try gozag and buy out jewelry shops

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

also gozag is unironically a good mummy god since you just scum all day and not worry about losing piety.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
i have only ever played tome. i am now playing dcss and have died about a dozen times playing a deep elf wizard, most of them to that loving unique imp that can paralyze you. but it is fun

what are some cool tips and strats for a wiz

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cast the spells, until they die

play a deep elf conjurer instead and get battlesphere castable. then use magic dart as a tracer round for it. it's really mana efficient and powerful.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
well so far im level 9 on d7. pretty much every fight is either spamming magic dart until they die, or vs tougher stuff using the confuse cloud and conjure flame to cc them. ive found 2 book stores that are too expensive to buy from atm but look like they could be cool soon. theres loads of books there, fire/ice/flames/wizardry/tempests and a bunch of utility ones. are there any particularly awesome books to look out for at this lvl?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you following vehumet because he's p much the blaster-caster god. you don't need to follow him but he gives mp on kills, bonus conjration range/cast chance, and gives you spells that you can memorize.

so basically you want to memorize powerful conjurations, probably only focus on one, maybe two elements, and then look for good utility spells like blink, repel missiles, and work towards getting haste castable as a secondary goal. you probably have a good deal of good books to aim for already.

standard philosophy should be working on KillDudes skills first, then once you can killdudes fast enough, work on your NotBeKilledByDudes skills

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

scalded schlong posted:

yet more catering to the HAM

augh

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

scalded schlong posted:

are you following vehumet because he's p much the blaster-caster god. you don't need to follow him but he gives mp on kills, bonus conjration range/cast chance, and gives you spells that you can memorize.

so basically you want to memorize powerful conjurations, probably only focus on one, maybe two elements, and then look for good utility spells like blink, repel missiles, and work towards getting haste castable as a secondary goal. you probably have a good deal of good books to aim for already.

standard philosophy should be working on KillDudes skills first, then once you can killdudes fast enough, work on your NotBeKilledByDudes skills

yeah i found a temple with him in it so thats cool. my offence kinda sucks at the moment, no aoe spells and it takes like a dozen magic darts to even kill a single mob. on the bright side i have blink/repel missiles. i kinda wanted to save my £ for one of those badass sounding books like tempest/ice/fire, but i think i'll grab flames for fireball, then wizardry after for the utility stuff.

i also found a door to the orcish mines, is that as scary as it sounds? this game is intimidating as gently caress after tome's easymode of 'hit autoexplore, 1 shot mob with spell'

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

progression should probably be dungeon -> lair -> orc 1-3 -> lair branches 1-4 -> orc 4 -> lair branches 5 for the first bit. orcish mines is LOTS of wuss orcs and some tough orcs, and magic dart will not cut it there.

sticky flame in flames is amazing in terms of being efficient damage over time, but you're a deep elf so it's dangerous to use as you have to be up close to use it. i would probably suggest bolt of fire, if you find it, but i would think book of flames is the most useful overall book you could get at this point.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

scalded schlong posted:

progression should probably be dungeon -> lair -> orc 1-3 -> lair branches 1-4 -> orc 4 -> lair branches 5 for the first bit. orcish mines is LOTS of wuss orcs and some tough orcs, and magic dart will not cut it there.

sticky flame in flames is amazing in terms of being efficient damage over time, but you're a deep elf so it's dangerous to use as you have to be up close to use it. i would probably suggest bolt of fire, if you find it, but i would think book of flames is the most useful overall book you could get at this point.

ty but nevermind, i went into an ice cave and froze to death from the freezing clouds :smith:

i'm gonna try a conjurer now instead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Do note that the wizard start is better suited for hybrids than pure conjurors. The book has no big attack spell, just great utility spells after magic dart. A background more suited to casting big spells early on is conjuror. (e: oh you just said you were doing this, sorry I can't read)

I would not play deep elf to start out, and I speak from experience. They fall over from a light breeze. Gargoyle earth elementalist or high elf conjuror are reasonable choices if you want to focus on spells.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Fire Elementalists are also good for spellcaster starts, since most of the spells in their starting book are simple attackdudes spells. The exceptions: Conjure flame's a decent spell to keep things away from you while you fry them with other spells, and inner flame lets you make things explode on death. You do need a way to deal with fire immune stuff, but you should have a good wand or a vehumet/sif muna provided nonfire spell by lair.

other caster protips: pick up a staff of energy and spam it to recover mp faster between fights. Crystal balls of energy are good too but have weird mechanics that gently caress you up if you're not expecting them(fail more as mp lowers, have nasty confusion/int lowering effects when they fail, but recover huge chunks of mp when they work). Even if spell fail rate is 0%, it pays to keep training spell skills because it ups damage.

Casters are delicate flowers and tend to die a lot more than melee guys early, even if you're a gargoyle or something. But later you're killing huge mobs of dudes with one or two casts and it's all worth it.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do note that the wizard start is better suited for hybrids than pure conjurors. The book has no big attack spell, just great utility spells after magic dart. A background more suited to casting big spells early on is conjuror. (e: oh you just said you were doing this, sorry I can't read)

I would not play deep elf to start out, and I speak from experience. They fall over from a light breeze. Gargoyle earth elementalist or high elf conjuror are reasonable choices if you want to focus on spells.

after playing both, ive found i reaaallly miss having the utility stuff early on. esp the poison cloud as that utterly cripples every low level threat it feels like. is battlesphere as amazing as it sounds? perhaps ive just been lucky too, as my last few chars have ended up finding a shop with a nice midgame nuke like fireball, or veh has given me something decent. i did like the energy blast spell though.

i might try one of those then. is the hp difference that big a deal? my perspective is prob tainted from playing so much tome, where hp didnt mean poo poo compared to either heavy burst/control effects or layering up a massive wall of sustains and shields.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

the hp difference matters a lot in crawl. there's plenty of stuff that can do 50+ points of damage in one hit. stuff that can one-shot you from full hp is a lot rarer than it is in tome, but stuff that can kill you in 2 or 3 hits is probably more common. low hp races need to play a lot more carefully, and you need to know which enemies have high damage spells like crystal spear.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I disagree with "don't play as a deep elf, as a starting player"

you don't stand a great chance of winning due to your HP, but you learn better habits as a fragile character. additionally, you will have more spell slots than you know what to do with, and good apts for all different kinds of magic -- so you have plenty of opportunities to try lots of different spells and see how they work.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
ty for the advice all. gave a deep elf wizard another shot, managed to clear the ossuary and a vault absolutely stuffed with orcs, so this one is doing pretty well. has the books of minor magic, flames, wizardry and ice, some nice resistance rings, so once i find a veh altar should be set. i was going fire magic to buff up my fireball, but now i have the ice book im kinda tempted to level those up to get ice bolt/freezing cloud.

is there any easy way to unlearn spells? i heard sif muna lets you, but as im going veh thats a no. and is there a max # of spells?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

the memorization screen, as well as the % screen, will show you spells levels available/memorized.

you can use a book to forget a spell, but it destroys the book -- otherwise you can use scrolls of amnesia

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

for a new player i suggest a mummy mage. they dont have to eat so you dont have to worry about food and they are immune to poison. what more could you want?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

formicid/ghoul berserkers are also p good!!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

code:
210 gold a +0 quick blade
worth it? i'm a sort-of hybrid conjurer currently using a +4 dagger.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Roctavian posted:

I disagree with "don't play as a deep elf, as a starting player"

you don't stand a great chance of winning due to your HP, but you learn better habits as a fragile character. additionally, you will have more spell slots than you know what to do with, and good apts for all different kinds of magic -- so you have plenty of opportunities to try lots of different spells and see how they work.

That is why I tell people to play xom.

You learn real fast about having a plan b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Razakai posted:

and is there a max # of spells?

technically there is a max number of spells you can know at a time (21), but you will never hit it. mostly it's spell levels you have to worry about, which roct covered.

Parallax Scroll posted:

code:
210 gold a +0 quick blade
worth it? i'm a sort-of hybrid conjurer currently using a +4 dagger.

bargain if you're planning to go sbl, not that amazing otherwise. idk how well sbl and conj combine but you can probably make it work if you really want.

Swelter Discharge posted:

for a new player i suggest a mummy mage. they dont have to eat so you dont have to worry about food and they are immune to poison. what more could you want?

scalded schlong posted:

formicid/ghoul berserkers are also p good!!

you are bad people.

• Locked thread