Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe 8.1 on the iPad will have that split-screen apps thingie.

It feels like they need *something* interesting to talk about. If it's really just iPad updates and they are just small improvements, why even bother with an event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

McFunkerson posted:

I read somewhere that the connectivity problems had something to do with the constant refresh of their live blog triggering constant recaching of their website every second for every user who was looking at their desktop/mobile page. I'm probably explaining that wrong but that was the gist of the article I read. Hopefully they've learned from that mistake.

That was definitely what that blog post said. It wasn't very technically sound though, and got reblogged a lot before people realized it was kinda bullshit. For instance, no reason that would cause problems with Apple TV streaming.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That was a very artful sentence about how you can access your iCloud photos on the Mac. Technically true!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Would any more than 1% of iPad users be bent out of shape if they dropped cellular support for iPads? I guess it's easy margin on the hardware and appeases the carriers, but it seems unnecessary.

It's a very good hotspot with an endless battery.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow his audio quality sounds terrible, bravo!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Time to retire "magical."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Comparing to the dying PC industry isn't very impressive.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Really, 100%? No bad hardware?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So, slightly thinner is all they got.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It feels like the iPad is just getting old iPhone tech. Except the cpu.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, the iPhone came out first so that sorta makes sense.

Like iPhone 5 tech, e.g. the laminated screen.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do people really use the cameras on their iPads *that* much?

Old people do. The ones without a good smartphone and bad vision.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gonna buy an iPad Air 2, and a new Time Capsule since all my devices will be on 802.11ac now.

Oh yeah, I forgot the iPhone 6 has that. Maybe will update to new Airport then.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wasn't this stuff already in iMovie?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Would have been cool if they had included LTE in all models. That would have got attention.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

iPad mini for $249 is non retina, right? That's sad.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did they include Apple PCs in that slide comparing IPad sales to PC manufacturers?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

the bulge is for the hard drive

It's sad if you can get a spinny disk in this thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Curious to see if you can get that Mac mini with an SSD for less than a grand.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They do actually let you upgrade the $499 mini to Fusion drive, so that would be a decent computer. Unknown pricing though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder if Apple will finally lower their Fusion Drive / SSD upgrade prices. They are getting a bit out of touch with the market. The new Apple Tax!

Edit: Store is up. Nope. Mac mini still costs $200 to upgrade from a 1 TB HDD to a 256 GB SSD.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 16, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

From what I can tell, the only difference between the iPad Mini 2 and the iPad Mini 3 is Touch ID. Otherwise the specs are identical, down to the dimensions. Unless I'm missing something, this is another cash grab -- $100 for Touch ID.

E: http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Just pretend they didn't announce the iPad Mini 3 and just dropped the price by $100.

It is kind of disappointing they didn't upgrade the screen since that is the weak point of the mini.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

The screen is gorgeous as it is?

It's not really as good as even the old iPad Air. Check out the Anandtech review:

quote:

The iPad mini with Retina Display has the same color gamut as the standard iPad mini, which is narrower than the iPad Air and less than the sRGB coverage we normally look for. The biggest issue here is that there are other smaller tablets in this price range that do offer sRGB coverage (e.g. Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed/3

Maybe you can only tell the difference side-by-side, but it's still something that could have been improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

alakath posted:

Based on what we know of the new Mac minis, is there a sweet spot to order? It seems like maybe the $699 model?

I ask because my dad's old PowerMac G5 has finally gone kaput and he needs a new machine to do mainly Photoshop and Illustrator work on. Even the $499 Mac mini is probably faster than what he has, but I'd like to get him something nice that'll last a while.

This is what is always frustrating about the mini pricing. In theory, it's a cheap computer, but it gets expensive very fast by the time you make it not suck. Eventually it crosses over with a Macbook Air which has the benefit of portability.

• Locked thread